PDA

View Full Version : Burglar Alarm Went Off at 1am

Dave Schwartz
12-13-2015, 04:39 AM
At 1am we were awakened by a burglar alarm, indicating that a door sensor had gone off. We could see the door to one of the garages slightly ajar from our position upstairs. We dialed 911 and in about 10 minutes 2 cars with 3 officers arrived.

The 911 agent stayed on the line and told us when to secure our weapons as the police were clearing the outside of the house.I appreciate them making sure the officers did not get shot in the process of clearing the call.

The interesting point to me was how calm and unthreatened we felt as we waited, heavily armed at the top of the stairs.

A locked and loaded AR-15 will do that for you.

It was probably a weakly closed door to the garage that had blown open in the wind.

Back to bed.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: When people ask why anyone should be armed, this is the answer.

NorCalGreg
12-13-2015, 05:35 AM
At 1am we were awakened by a burglar alarm, indicating that a door sensor had gone off. We could see the door to one of the garages slightly ajar from our position upstairs. We dialed 911 and in about 10 minutes 2 cars with 3 officers arrived.

The 911 agent stayed on the line and told us when to secure our weapons as the police were clearing the outside of the house.I appreciate them making sure the officers did not get shot in the process of clearing the call.

The interesting point to me was how calm and unthreatened we felt as we waited, heavily armed at the top of the stairs.

It was probably a weakly closed door to the garage that had blown open in the wind.

Back to bed.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Right on, Dave. If you weren't armed, you would have cowered in the dark, of your own home, wondering if you should tiptoe into the kitchen for a knife.
Since your alarm went off--who knows if there was an intruder--who MAY WELL HAVE BEEN ARMED.

At that point, you and your family are at his mercy.
That's all I have to say. Glad it turned out okay, Dave.
goodnight all
-NCG

ebcorde
12-13-2015, 06:34 AM
I have no idea why people break into Houses to steal. Seems like everything is "made in china" junk today, for me not worth it. I guess pawning Jewelry is worth being locked up for 10 years. All gadgets have been reduced to smart phones, and laptops. In my area, they steal cars and break into cars, my neighbor had his truck stolen.

boxcar
12-13-2015, 08:32 AM
Dave didn't need that stinkin' rifle that maims, kills and murders people. If it had been an armed intruder it would have taken him a lot longer than 10 minutes to find Dave and his family to do them harm. Kudos to the police department for getting there in such a timely fashion!

Moral to the story: Instead of wasting good money on guns that kill people invest that money (and many times more than what that weapon cost) into a safe room in case it takes the cops in your area longer than 10 minutes to arrive on scene whenever or if ever we ever have to place such a call.

Be Safe, Stay Safe, Keep Safe in your own personal Safe Room AND SAVE LIVES.

boxcar
12-13-2015, 08:35 AM
I have no idea why people break into Houses to steal. Seems like everything is "made in china" junk today, for me not worth it. I guess pawning Jewelry is worth being locked up for 10 years. All gadgets have been reduced to smart phones, and laptops. In my area, they steal cars and break into cars, my neighbor had his truck stolen.

A couple of years ago in my neighborhood someone broke into a neighbor's home while they were out and helped themselves to some goodies inside the house. While in there, they spotted the guy's truck keys to his beautiful pickup which was sitting in his driveway. They took that, too.

Tom
12-13-2015, 10:04 AM
When seconds, count, the police are minutes away.

Dave, did it occur to you to call a democrat?

mikesal57
12-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Dam!! Dave...that was me trying to get your computer

Glad all is well

mike

fast4522
12-13-2015, 11:01 AM

Your selection is interesting, I myself prefer a shotgun that I also can use for shooting trap. I do understand, I also prefer a 5 speed stick but instead have an automatic transmission currently so the wife is comfortable when I do not feel like driving. The point I am making is many women are comfortable with the AR-15, so that selection is good for both homeowners.

Dave Schwartz
12-13-2015, 11:06 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

As usual, Tom left you all in the dust.

Safe room, indeed. Who has $200k for a safe room? Do YOU have a safe room?

elysiantraveller
12-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Your selection is interesting, I myself prefer a shotgun that I also can use for shooting trap. I do understand, I also prefer a 5 speed stick but instead have an automatic transmission currently so the wife is comfortable when I do not feel like driving. The point I am making is many women are comfortable with the AR-15, so that selection is good for both homeowners.

Shotgun is a vastly superior home defense weapon both genders considered.

Something is always better than nothing. :cool:

Glad everything is fine!

Saratoga_Mike
12-13-2015, 11:14 AM

Classic! Best line of 2015.

Saratoga_Mike
12-13-2015, 11:15 AM

Why is that?

green80
12-13-2015, 11:21 AM

Something is always better than nothing. :cool:

Glad everything is fine!

I agree, instead of one projectile per shot that has to hit on target, a shotgun will give you 10-15 per shot where you just have to point in the right direction at close range.

fast4522
12-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Why is that?

Its take down punch can not be matched. :lol:

Marshall Bennett
12-13-2015, 11:56 AM
I keep two Winchester 12 gauge Defenders loaded at each end of house.
Bring it on. :)

PhantomOnTour
12-13-2015, 12:01 PM
"I appreciate them making sure the officers did not get shot..."

That's the funniest line in this thread

Hoofless_Wonder
12-13-2015, 12:12 PM
Having a gun and knowing how to use it gives you options. Glad things turned out okay, Dave.

Just the other day a guy came home to his house in Salem, surprising a burglar, and engaged in a shoot out with him. I'd be critical of his aim (nobody was hit and the burglar got away), but I imagine just trying to keep from dirtying up your shorts can spoil your aim....

http://koin.com/2015/12/10/salem-police-search-for-burglary-shooting-suspect/

Dave Schwartz
12-13-2015, 01:43 PM
Shotguns just make such a mess to the house and all.

Seriously, I do not understand how anyone would choose to be defenseless.

The point I am making is many women are comfortable with the AR-15, so that selection is good for both homeowners.

Beth actually took a tactical weapons course to learn how to use the AR properly. Turns out she's an absolute natural, taking down a high percent of targets at up to about 50 meters.

I got to go along for the ride with a second Bushmaster. Today's tactical training is far different than what we learned 45 years ago. (For example, we were taught to present a smaller target by always being turned sideways. Now they teach facing straight ahead, giving 180 degrees of coverage.

Last night Beth was quite the take-charge girl. She shouts, "If you're in the house you'd better just find the nearest door as fast as you can."

elysiantraveller
12-13-2015, 03:24 PM
Why is that?

A bazillion different loads available. Minimal wall penetration. They don't "spray" thats a common misconception for distances inside of buildings but even low recoil birdshot rounds are devastating. They're cheap. A Mossberg or Remington pump will go bang everytime you pull and if it doesn't just cycle it then bang.

mostpost
12-13-2015, 03:44 PM

Democrats don't need a gun to feel calm and unthreatened.

Tom
12-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Democrats don't need a gun to feel calm and unthreatened.

Classic post - you can tell the burglar, just before he robs you and shoots you, that you are calm and unthreatened. :lol:

Thing is, the bad guys don't really care how you feel. Just as long as you bleed.

mostpost
12-13-2015, 03:59 PM

Back to bed.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

That's called false courage. I am happy that no police were harmed in protecting your lawn mower.

Tom
12-13-2015, 04:15 PM
This from the only guy in Chicago without a gun! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, mostie it is YOUR neighbor hood that kills cops and Black people.
You know, the one with the tough gun laws. you should go out every night and talk the illegal guns out of the hands of those people.

elysiantraveller
12-13-2015, 04:15 PM
That's called false courage. I am happy that no police were harmed in protecting your lawn mower.

It's very obvious you've never been in ANY threatening situation ever. I've been shot at, had knives pulled on me, and been in many other horribly unpleasant situations. NONE of those come close to the fear I had as a 5 year old and my home was invaded. The reason being is it wasn't just my fear but the same I saw in my mother's eyes as we hid in the bedroom.

Your snide comments here are quite frankly... Massively offensive.

johnhannibalsmith
12-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Like I said in some other thread a while back, it just proves why it is spitting into the wind when someone says "if you take the guns away, only bad guys will have guns." You're preaching to people that think that any common citizen with a gun is a bad guy. And again, I say this as someone that dislikes guns, has never owned one, and almost certainly never will own one no matter how many stories I hear like this. My choice, your right and your choice.

edited to change your to you're since mostpost is in the thread.

mostpost
12-13-2015, 04:53 PM
It's very obvious you've never been in ANY threatening situation ever. I've been shot at, had knives pulled on me, and been in many other horribly unpleasant situations. NONE of those come close to the fear I had as a 5 year old and my home was invaded. The reason being is it wasn't just my fear but the same I saw in my mother's eyes as we hid in the bedroom.

Your snide comments here are quite frankly... Massively offensive.
I never have been in any threatening situations, and as far as I know, neither have any of my friends or relatives. Yet you have been in many. What does that tell us about you?

elysiantraveller
12-13-2015, 04:55 PM

My response was not an invitation for gun debate. It was taking exception to Mosties attempt at insulting, belittling, and mocking two people who responsibly chose to defend themselves.

Quite frankly it ****ing pissed me off.

kingfin66
12-13-2015, 05:01 PM

It seems like if you had somebody laying on the floor of your house losing blood that it would make a huge mess no matter how the hole(s) was made.

elysiantraveller
12-13-2015, 05:02 PM
I never have been in any threatening situations, and as far as I know, neither have any of my friends or relatives. Yet you have been in many. What does that tell us about you?

Well in the threatening situation I shared you asshole... I was a 5 year old kid sleeping in his bed.

NorCalGreg
12-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Dam!! Dave...that was me trying to get your computer

Glad all is well

mike

LOL....that probably WAS mike--trying to get your new software program.

He said he only uses FREE programs :lol:

mikesal57
12-13-2015, 05:59 PM
LOL....that probably WAS mike--trying to get your new software program.

He said he only uses FREE programs :lol:

Thanks Greg...you making me look like a cheapskate

NJ Stinks
12-13-2015, 05:59 PM
Like I said in some other thread a while back, it just proves why it is spitting into the wind when someone says "if you take the guns away, only bad guys will have guns." You're preaching to people that think that any common citizen with a gun is a bad guy. And again, I say this as someone that dislikes guns, has never owned one, and almost certainly never will own one no matter how many stories I hear like this. My choice, your right and your choice.

edited to change your to you're since mostpost is in the thread.

I don't think people with guns are bad guys.

I do sleep soundly at night without a gun in the house or a house alarm. Obviously, many homeowners disagree with me. To each his own. (Shrug)

johnhannibalsmith
12-13-2015, 06:02 PM
... To each his own. (Shrug)

Gosh love ya and nice to see you for a change. :cool:

NJ Stinks
12-13-2015, 06:10 PM
Gosh love ya and nice to see you for a change. :cool:

Don't get me mad, John, or I'll go out and buy myself another baseball bat! :mad:

:) (Always good to see you posting too. :ThmbUp: )

Marshall Bennett
12-13-2015, 06:36 PM

See that they're near a window and aim for the chest area, they'll be deposited accordingly. :)

Marshall Bennett
12-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Should a situation arise and punk-thugs broke in (please don't say it can't happen, that you're a democrat) what would be your choice of defense? Perhaps a broom or your fist? :)

boxcar
12-13-2015, 07:01 PM

Inside the house is where you usually keep your lawn mower? Would that be to keep the shag on your floor neatly manicured? :rolleyes:

johnhannibalsmith
12-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Don't get me mad, John, or I'll go out and buy myself another baseball bat! :mad:

See we agree on more than you think. I know that I can still hit my target with a Louisville Slugger if it's moving at less than 1 mph.

mostpost
12-13-2015, 08:12 PM
I don't think people with guns are bad guys.

I do sleep soundly at night without a gun in the house or a house alarm. Obviously, many homeowners disagree with me. To each his own. (Shrug)
It is not just a matter of sleeping soundly without a gun in the house or a house alarm. In my opinion, guns and elaborate alarm systems attract trouble.

Beyond taking the sensible steps of locking the doors and making sure the garage door is not "Weakly closed" you and I-with no guns-sleep soundly. On the other hand, our well armed friends on the right seem to be in a constant state of alarm.

Dave Schwartz
12-13-2015, 08:23 PM
See that they're near a window and aim for the chest area, they'll be deposited accordingly.

As with my "messy" quote, many of us make it sound as if pulling a trigger with a human being in front of the weapon is easy.

The typical male reaction usually begins with something like, "Well, I'd just shoot the bastard," but...

... anyone who has actually experienced this - mostly likely in combat; possibly as law enforcement - can tell you, pulling the trigger is not a given without some form of preparation (i.e. hardening via training). I doubt very seriously that I would shoot to kill. Much more likely that I'd attempt to defuse the situation by offering surrender or even escape as an option before actually shooting anyone.

The key point in a conflict is for the right-minded person to have control of the situation. If this situation had led to confrontation, I would have been in control and it is very unlikely that shots would have been fired.

The least likely thing to have resulted would have been Beth or I being injured. THAT is the reason we are armed.

Bottom line is that most of us will never be a statistic - either the one that says, "Murdered in his home," or "Shot an intruder." It just doesn't happen that often to people like us.

But being armed (and trained) at least gives me a choice between those two scenarios.

For the record, I am FOR gun control when it is warranted by felony conviction, mental health, etc.

Shooter 79
12-13-2015, 09:14 PM
It is not just a matter of sleeping soundly without a gun in the house or a house alarm. In my opinion, guns and elaborate alarm systems attract trouble.

Beyond taking the sensible steps of locking the doors and making sure the garage door is not "Weakly closed" you and I-with no guns-sleep soundly. On the other hand, our well armed friends on the right seem to be in a constant state of alarm.

Take a good long suck on the 2nd amendment jackass. Your ignorant, arrogant and condescending posts in this thread are disgusting.

whodoyoulike
12-13-2015, 11:22 PM
Inside the house is where you usually keep your lawn mower? Would that be to keep the shag on your floor neatly manicured? :rolleyes:

Re-read post #1 where Dave mentions his garage door.

Dave,

Glad to hear it was nothing and both of you were safe. Good the dispatcher cautioned you both before the arrival of the police because they probably wouldn't have waited around for an explanation of why you were holding a gun on a prowler call.

Dave Schwartz
12-13-2015, 11:36 PM
Re-read post #1 where Dave mentions his garage door.

Door from house to garage, actually.

Hoofless_Wonder
12-14-2015, 12:06 AM

Careful Mostie. You're tempting karma. First it was your reassurances that rising health care premiums were not a concern, and then you got socked with a 26% increase on your latest premium. Now you're poo-pooing those of us who want to be prepared for an unlikely, yet possible scenario. Perhaps someday soon you'll find the safety of your mother's basement or dacha not quite the comfortable haven you've known.....

NorCalGreg
12-14-2015, 12:23 AM
Careful Mostie. You're tempting karma. First it was your reassurances that rising health care premiums were not a concern, and then you got socked with a 26% increase on your latest premium. Now you're poo-pooing those of us who want to be prepared for an unlikely, yet possible scenario. Perhaps someday soon you'll find the safety of your mother's basement or dacha not quite the comfortable haven you've known.....

Nice, HW. Lock this thread up, moderators......we're done here :) Mostie has been completely and utterly shamed and silenced, and whatever shred of dignity he has left, if any-- would not dare respond with anything other than his apologies for ever being born. Game over, man.

NJ Stinks
12-14-2015, 12:34 AM
Nice, HW. Lock this thread up, moderators......we're done here :) Mostie has been completely and utterly shamed and silenced, and whatever shred of dignity he has left, if any-- would not dare respond with anything other than his apologies for ever being born. Game over, man.

You are starting to make me wish I didn't like the Raiders. :rolleyes:

thaskalos
12-14-2015, 12:37 AM
It has always been my contention that the citizen who minds his own business should never have to live in fear. If a gun is needed in order for one to have the peace of mind that he deserves...then he ought to arm himself. The CRIMINALS should be afraid...not the law-abiding citizens.

ReplayRandall
12-14-2015, 12:38 AM

Mostpost is a button-pusher, nothing more, has no shame, pretends to care, just the way he's always been.....

mostpost
12-14-2015, 01:09 AM
Door from house to garage, actually.
Trying to understand. The alarm went off and you said you could see that the door which was open was the door from the house to the garage-or vice versa. Did you mean you could physically see it or that was what was indicated on the alarm display? In any case, how could an interior door between the house and the garage be blown open by the wind? Also, what is the access to the garage from outside? Is there a service door or just the overhead door through which you drive your car(S)? I mean under not through. I am just trying to understand all this.

What would I have done in this situation? I would have thought, "Gee that was stupid of me, I did not close that door properly" and I would have gone down and closed it. And I would have checked the house for intruders. I would have been concerned that perhaps it was not just the wind or an oversight on my part, but not overly so.

mostpost
12-14-2015, 01:12 AM
Take a good long suck on the 2nd amendment jackass. Your ignorant, arrogant and condescending posts in this thread are disgusting.
I did a google image search for "2nd amendment jackass" and could not find anything. Therefore I am unable to comply with your request.

mostpost
12-14-2015, 01:26 AM
The increase in my health care premiums has a lot to do with an increase in the cost of health care services; very little to do with Obamacare and nothing at all to do with any fictitious gods of karma.

Not that really care what you think, but I live in an apartment for which I pay the rent myself. My mother passed away twenty one years ago last week. Even then I did not live with her although for the last nine years we did maintain separate apartments in the same fairly large building.

Oh, and a dacha is a type of residence, not a communist conspiracy.

mostpost
12-14-2015, 01:29 AM
As evidenced by my three posts since you made this foolish statement, I have been neither shamed nor silenced. That is a task far beyond your ability.

iceknight
12-14-2015, 03:50 AM
Trying to understand. The alarm went off and you said you could see that the door which was open was the door from the house to the garage-or vice versa. Did you mean you could physically see it or that was what was indicated on the alarm display? In any case, how could an interior door between the house and the garage be blown open by the wind? Also, what is the access to the garage from outside? Is there a service door or just the overhead door through which you drive your car(S)? I mean under not through. I am just trying to understand all this.

What would I have done in this situation? I would have thought, "Gee that was stupid of me, I did not close that door properly" and I would have gone down and closed it. And I would have checked the house for intruders. I would have been concerned that perhaps it was not just the wind or an oversight on my part, but not overly so.
Monday morning QB doesn't start till 9am. Also, if you are going to use your 1st, respect the 2nd. Or just take the 5th. :lol:

Actor
12-14-2015, 08:39 AM
I have no idea why people break into Houses to steal. Seems like everything is "made in china" junk today, for me not worth it.I have three TVs. Everyone in the house has their own laptop. They could get it all in just a few minutes.

I guess pawning Jewelry is worth being locked up for 10 years.They just want their heroin. They don't think it through.

sammy the sage
12-14-2015, 08:47 AM
It has always been my contention that the citizen who minds his own business should never have to live in fear. If a gun is needed in order for one to have the peace of mind that he deserves...then he ought to arm himself. The CRIMINALS should be afraid...not the law-abiding citizens.

this...... :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Inner Dirt
12-14-2015, 08:52 AM

I prefer a hand gun, I think it is personal preference. I want something I can conceal in case their isn't a real threat. Police here are too busy manning their speed traps, most of the time it is the fire department directing traffic at accidents unless they happen close to common speed trap areas of which here there are many. A call to 911 here would probably get you a fireman in 10 minutes and a cop in 30 minutes or more.

Dave Schwartz
12-14-2015, 11:14 AM
Trying to understand. The alarm went off and you said you could see that the door which was open was the door from the house to the garage-or vice versa. Did you mean you could physically see it or that was what was indicated on the alarm display?

it is an attached garage. You park the car in the garage, electronically close the garage door, walked into the house.

We could see the door slightly ajar. It is a large garage and there are times of heavy winds when it blows very hard in there.

Understand Mr. Postie, you are not a person who understands. You are a person who gathers information so that you may spin it to mean whatever political point you want to support with it.

I do admit to having gathered a little information myself based upon who you live with etc.

whodoyoulike
12-14-2015, 02:23 PM
it is an attached garage. You park the car in the garage, electronically close the garage door, walked into the house. ...

FYI, I saw a news alert a few years ago about how easy it is to open an electronic garage door with a remote opener from the outside .... ALWAYS lock your house connecting door.

delayjf
12-14-2015, 04:18 PM
Per the Justice Department:

1.5 million citizens defend themselves with a gun annually.

Shotguns are devastating at short range - unless the perb is wearing body armor or perhaps hiding behind a family member taken hostage. It's a choice between fire power and knockdown power - Dave chose both - I like that.

Also, if instead of a lawn mower, lets say the Perb stole your brand new 70 inch 4k HD TV. A AR-15 give you a reasonable chance of shooting his legs - and retrieving your TV. :cool:

I keep two Winchester 12 gauge Defenders loaded at each end of house. Bring it on.

Your susceptive to a frontal attack. You need another Defender to cover your front door. But I like the way you think. :ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
12-14-2015, 04:40 PM
Your susceptive to a frontal attack. You need another Defender to cover your front door. But I like the way you think.

LOL - We're upstairs facing the front. That means the vulnerability is seeing what is going on underneath us, and does permit someone with a powerful load to shoot upwards through the floor. The good news is that at night I can clearly see the reflection in the glass, allowing me to stand back from the danger point.

High ground has value as well.

Speaking of FYIs, we watched a Dateline interview with a burglar-turned-security-consultant once. He said that he loved to rob 2-story houses while their are parties going on. The best line of all was, "And people are always kind enough to leave me a ladder big enough to get in the 2nd floor."

Tall One
12-14-2015, 04:44 PM

Don't own a gun--no need--but not against anyone who has them.

johnhannibalsmith
12-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Got to love it when someone that fears guns in anyone's hands chastises someone with a gun for living in fear.

Hoofless_Wonder
12-14-2015, 08:49 PM
The increase in my health care premiums has a lot to do with an increase in the cost of health care services; very little to do with Obamacare and nothing at all to do with any fictitious gods of karma.

Mostie, describing karma as fictitious is bad enough, but in the same sentence to lie (once again) about Obamacare is well, foolhardy. The wrath of Mother Nature from the Chiffon Margarine commercial is coming your way.....

https://youtu.be/LLrTPrp-fW8

sammy the sage
12-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Mostie, describing karma as fictitious is bad enough, but in the same sentence to lie (once again) about Obamacare is well, foolhardy. The wrath of Mother Nature from the Chiffon Margarine commercial is coming your way.....

another person I agree w/tonight...love it pointing out hypocrisy :lol:

dartman51
12-14-2015, 11:51 PM
Got to love it when someone that fears guns in anyone's hands chastises someone with a gun for living in fear.

:D Yeah, like the cop that stopped the 70 year old grandmother. When she was pulling out her drivers license, he noticed she had a conceal carry permit. He asked her if she had a gun with her. She said, yes, I have a 38 in my purse. The cop asked if it was loaded, she said, yes sir. Cop: do you have any other weapons? Grandmother: yes, I have a 45 in the glove box. Cop: Is it loaded? Grandmother: Yes sir, and before you ask, I have a 9 mil, under the seat, and it's loaded. Cop: Damn, lady, what the hell are you afraid of? Grandmother: Not a damn thing.

Funny how people think that just because you have one or more guns, that you're afraid of something. But, that's the way the left thinks. :faint:

thaskalos
12-15-2015, 01:17 AM
:D Yeah, like the cop that stopped the 70 year old grandmother. When she was pulling out her drivers license, he noticed she had a conceal carry permit. He asked her if she had a gun with her. She said, yes, I have a 38 in my purse. The cop asked if it was loaded, she said, yes sir. Cop: do you have any other weapons? Grandmother: yes, I have a 45 in the glove box. Cop: Is it loaded? Grandmother: Yes sir, and before you ask, I have a 9 mil, under the seat, and it's loaded. Cop: Damn, lady, what the hell are you afraid of? Grandmother: Not a damn thing.

Funny how people think that just because you have one or more guns, that you're afraid of something. But, that's the way the left thinks. :faint:

In my defense...I must point out that I only brought up the "fear factor" because the original poster mentioned how "calm and unthreatened" he and his wife felt, as they waited, heavily armed, at the top of the stairs. The way he described it...I got the impression that they would have been a little more "tense" if they had no weapons in the house.

Dave Schwartz
12-15-2015, 01:41 AM
In my defense...I must point out that I only brought up the "fear factor" because the original poster mentioned how "calm and unthreatened" he and his wife felt, as they waited, heavily armed, at the top of the stairs. The way he described it...I got the impression that they would have been a little more "tense" if they had no weapons in the house.

Indeed I would have been.

I admit that there was a time when I felt capable of defending myself unarmed against 3 assailants. In fact, I did precisely that on 3 different occasions.

Alas, that ship sailed about 30 years ago.

Now a weapon is a bit of an equalizer - but only for a potentially life threatening situation.

You know, boys and girls, this is really not complicated. IMHO, every human being has the right to defend themselves within the limits of our laws. If a person chooses not to be armed, that is their rightful choice.

However, they should not expect everyone else to choose to be unarmed as well.

johnhannibalsmith
12-15-2015, 01:45 AM
In my defense...

For the record I was piggybacking on mosite's commentary. I don't get the impression based on your posts that you seem to think that the sky is falling because people have guns.

Greyfox
12-15-2015, 01:48 AM
I have always been a klutz around machinery of any kind.
For instance, if I were a meat cutter I probably wouldn't still have all of my fingers.
I can't even hammer a nail in straight. Of course if I hammered more often, I wouldn't get better. I'd just get a sore thumb more often.
You might not think of a gun as a machine, but I do.
The world is a safer place, for me and others, if people like me do not have guns.

elysiantraveller
12-15-2015, 08:58 AM
It's a choice between fire power and knockdown power - Dave chose both - I like that.

Not sure I understand what that means... fire power vs. knockdown power.

A normal 5.56 round leaves the barrel with around 1050 ft/lbs of energy. A 12ga slug exits with around 2650 ft/lbs.

There is literally no comparison. One you can't hunt deer with in some states because its considered under-powered and the other can literally "kill" your car.

Rookies
12-15-2015, 09:22 AM

Two Winchesters and an AR-15, loaded and ready for insurrection, between the two of you!

Where do y'all live? Downtown Mogadishu? :lol: :lol:

mikesal57
12-15-2015, 09:49 AM
This is all that Dave had on his mind....

Dave Schwartz
12-15-2015, 10:52 AM
This is all that Dave had on his mind....

Who the hell are you to decide what I had on my mind?

It so happens, you little weasel, that I take human life very seriously.

And if you, you little shit, had ever been in a situation where taking a life was necessary, you might not be so flip about saying things like this.

boxcar
12-15-2015, 10:53 AM

Don't pay Mostie any mind. He has conveniently forgotten a very fundamental but inconvenient truth: Obamanation Care wasn't called the AFFORDABLE Health Care Act for nothing! The gazillion page law was supposed to reduce the cost of health care, making it for everyone (drum roll, please....) more affordable. But I guess in Mostie's world "more affordable" just naturally means more costly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

boxcar
12-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Two Winchesters and an AR-15, loaded and ready for insurrection, between the two of you!

Where do y'all live? Downtown Mogadishu? :lol: :lol:

And if someone shot Dave and his wife dead in Hollywood, CA, let's say would that have made his death less painful to both him and his wife and to his beloved survivors? What in the world were you thinking with that kind of ill-conceived question? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

boxcar
12-15-2015, 11:01 AM
I have always been a klutz around machinery of any kind.
For instance, if I were a meat cutter I probably wouldn't still have all of my fingers.
I can't even hammer a nail in straight. Of course if I hammered more often, I wouldn't get better. I'd just get a sore thumb more often.
You might not think of a gun as a machine, but I do.
The world is a safer place, for me and others, if people like me do not have guns.

Right! I agree totally. No one should be own a gun if they feel uncomfortable around them. And so -- who would you rather have make that kind of choice: You or the government on your behalf?

Rookies
12-15-2015, 11:16 AM
And if someone shot Dave and his wife dead in Hollywood, CA, let's say would that have made his death less painful to both him and his wife and to his beloved survivors? What in the world were you thinking with that kind of ill-conceived question? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wrong end of the paradigm, Boxie! What kind of a world do people live in, that this is ever considered a "normal" scenario?

Not mine, nor any of the hundreds of family and friends I have- all over my city and country.

Dave Schwartz
12-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Not mine, nor any of the hundreds of family and friends I have- all over my city and country.

No, not today.

mikesal57
12-15-2015, 11:27 AM

And if you, you little shit, had ever been in a situation where taking a life was necessary, you might not be so flip about saying things like this.

calm down .....dam, so serious....I did say "Glad you were OK"

Weasel

mikesal57
12-15-2015, 11:34 AM
maybe you should invest in this......

Greyfox
12-15-2015, 11:43 AM
Right! I agree totally. No one should be own a gun if they feel uncomfortable around them. And so -- who would you rather have make that kind of choice: You or the government on your behalf?

I'd rather make that choice - not the government.
I know my limitations. Unfortunately, other klutz's don't.

Greyfox
12-15-2015, 11:47 AM

Wow. No wonder you had to fend off 3 unarmed assailants when you were younger on 3 occasions. :lol:
Dave, I don't recall you ever flipping out this angrily before.

banacek
12-15-2015, 11:49 AM

When I was a kid, I always thought one Winchester was plenty :)

lNeySEOXUcI

Dave Schwartz
12-15-2015, 11:57 AM
calm down .....dam, so serious....I did say "Glad you were OK"

Weasel

You calm down, troll.

You've got a big mouth and you think everything that comes out of it is CUTE.

You're a little punk that thrives on knowing that there are no consequences for anything that you say.

Dave Schwartz
12-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Wow. No wonder you had to fend off 3 unarmed assailants when you were younger on 3 occasions.
Dave, I don't recall you ever flipping out this angrily before.

When I was a young, immature man I TOOK life.

As an older, more mature man, I do not take that fact lightly.

Greyfox
12-15-2015, 12:24 PM
When I was a young, immature man I TOOK life.

As an older, more mature man, I do not take that fact lightly.

Ooooh.....Sorry to hear that.

We all made mistakes when we wore younger men's clothes.
Hopefully, you've been able to forgive yourself, as much as is possible.

All the best,

Greyfox

TJDave
12-15-2015, 12:29 PM
We all made mistakes when we wore younger men's clothes.
Hopefully, you've been able to forgive yourself, as much as is possible.

I don't think that's what Dave meant.

Greyfox
12-15-2015, 12:32 PM
I don't think that's what Dave meant.

If not, then I'm puzzled. :confused:

Dave Schwartz
12-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Greyfox said nothing out of turn.

Let's just let this rest. More conversation on this topic will be fruitless.

Dave

PaceAdvantage
12-15-2015, 12:55 PM

Where do y'all live? Downtown Mogadishu? :lol: :lol:Ahhhhh...the typical mindset that guarantees minds will never ever EVER even COME CLOSE to meeting on this topic.

PaceAdvantage
12-15-2015, 01:01 PM
I don't think that's what Dave meant.You are correct.

Rookies
12-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Ahhhhh...the typical mindset that guarantees minds will never ever EVER even COME CLOSE to meeting on this topic.

Correct.

But, I'm trying to point out that there exists an almost completely separate, diametrically opposed reality, one that isn't even contemplated on this forum, with these topics. A reality, where the vast, vast majority of people don't even think of defending themselves with arms, due to perceived, random violence- because that threat is as rare as a lightning strike.

Yes, bad shit happens everywhere.

But, when society is completely altered due to that bad shite, the fundamentals need to be altered to rekindle the society.

PaceAdvantage
12-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Correct.

But, I'm trying to point out that there exists an almost completely separate, diametrically opposed reality, one that isn't even contemplated on this forum, with these topics. A reality, where the vast, vast majority of people don't even think of defending themselves with arms, due to perceived, random violence- because that threat is as rare as a lightning strike.

Yes, bad shit happens everywhere.

But, when society is completely altered due to that bad shite, the fundamentals need to be altered to rekindle the society.The only thing trying to be altered is the anti-gun nuts trying to reshape America through the elimination or re-imagination of the 2nd amendment. That's the ONLY thing being altered here. America has always been a nation of law abiding citizens with the privilege and desire to arm themselves for personal protection.

Tom
12-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Our fundamentals are just fine.

delayjf
12-15-2015, 02:24 PM
Not sure I understand what that means... fire power vs. knockdown power.

Firepower - the volume of fire or the number of rounds you can apply to your target.

Knockdown Power - the impact of or the lethality of a single round.

I.E A weapon high on firepower but low on lethality would be a 15 shot 22 pistol. A weapon low on firepower but high on lethality would be a single barrel 10 gauge shotgun..

elysiantraveller
12-15-2015, 03:10 PM
Firepower - the volume of fire or the number of rounds you can apply to your target.

Knockdown Power - the impact of or the lethality of a single round.

I.E A weapon high on firepower but low on lethality would be a 15 shot 22 pistol. A weapon low on firepower but high on lethality would be a single barrel 10 gauge shotgun..

Got it.

Tape Reader
12-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Anyone use a snake gun; 410 revolver pistol? Pros and cons would be appreciated.

Hoofless_Wonder
12-16-2015, 12:58 AM
Anyone use a snake gun; 410 revolver pistol? Pros and cons would be appreciated.

Plenty of Youtube videos on those, and any other firearm for that matter. I doubt this is high on too many people's list for home defense.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the "hybrid" guns that use a caliber or gauge that's been designed for a different purpose. You end up spending a lot of money to standardize on ammunition or allow "flexibility", but what you really end up with is the wrong tool for the job. If I ever have the need to take on snakes with a handgun, I be tempted to use a high capacity magazine first and shotshells second. But the better tool for the job would be a 12 gauge.

Elliott Sidewater
12-16-2015, 04:11 AM
What a heartwarming image; man and wife both locked and loaded with his and hers assault rifles. Makes one forget all about the side by side bathtubs in the Cialis commercials.

If Ted Nugent was running for President, you could have been his running mate :rolleyes:

elysiantraveller
12-16-2015, 04:57 AM

Novelty gun.

They can do a little bit of everything but nothing particularly well...

For a carry weapon they are big and bulky when a .38 or 9mm is simply much more practical. For the home if you are going to use a shotgun... Use a shotgun...

Marshall Bennett
12-16-2015, 06:16 AM
Firepower -A weapon low on firepower but high on lethality would be a single barrel 10 gauge shotgun..
Yeah, or a cannon. :D