PDA

View Full Version : Chris McCarron on "Quincy"

PhantomOnTour
12-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Slow morning in my world, watching an old Quincy episode about the mysterious death of a champion race horse.
McCarron had a small role....episode reeks of the Alydar story, big time horse killed for insurance money.

Jack Klugman was big into racing....even had a Derby runner named after him

bello
12-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Slow morning in my world, watching an old Quincy episode about the mysterious death of a champion race horse.
McCarron had a small role....episode reeks of the Alydar story, big time horse killed for insurance money.

Jack Klugman was big into racing....even had a Derby runner named after him

Actually named after that new racing phenom at big A Jacqueline.

Horse was Jaklin Klugman....Great find though.

Redboard
12-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Speaking of mainstream TV and horse racing, there was an episode of "Two Broke Girls" that I stumbled upon a few weeks ago(as a rerun). I don’t remember anybody talking about it when it first aired last year. It wasn't very complementary on the subject as the bookie was going to break people’s legs, etc. if he wasn’t paid- typical stereotype of a degenerate gambler/mobster. But at least the sport is getting some notice from mainstream network TV, and as a fan it was worth watching IMO. Here's the wiki blurb on it:

"And the Free Money" Aired April 28, 2014
Caroline's love for horse racing gets out of hand when she and Max go to a racetrack as guests of Sophie's new bookie boyfriend. The two girls initially turn $200 into $600, but Caroline bets on more races to run up debts of $3,000. Things get worse when Sophie breaks up with the bookie, forcing Earl to briefly end his self-imposed moratorium on gambling in order to get Caroline out of the hole.

Can’t believe that stupid show actually is in its 5th season.

FantasticDan
12-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Horse was Jaklin Klugman....Great find though. :ThmbUp:
bFAj52QP9vY

ebcorde
12-11-2015, 01:47 PM
had a Horse racing episode, some guy had a math formula for winners.

The best celebrity I ever saw at a track was when Jennifer Love Hewitt was at the track the day her mom's horse ran. The horse won and TVG Todd Schrupp ran down to interview her. Anybody see that?

ronsmac
12-11-2015, 03:22 PM
had a Horse racing episode, some guy had a math formula for winners.

The best celebrity I ever saw at a track was when Jennifer Love Hewitt was at the track the day her mom's horse ran. The horse won and TVG Todd Schrupp ran down to interview her. Anybody see that?I remember that . It was very cool.

HalvOnHorseracing
12-11-2015, 04:00 PM
I remember that . It was very cool.

Recent episode of NCIS Los Angeles mentioned a detective with a gambling problem who ran out to Hollywood Park right after his shift was over. I figured the writers were sitting around going, Hollywood Park - they still bet out there, right?

JohnGalt1
12-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Catch an episode of Banacek where a horse is switched mid-race. It is called "Horse of a slightly different color."

Banacek not only figured who committed the crimes, but how there were done.

Me tv runs NBC mystery movies at night, or you can catch it on Youtube.

Tall One
12-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Catch an episode of Banacek where a horse is switched mid-race. It is called "Horse of a slightly different color."

Me tv runs NBC mystery movies at night, or you can catch it on Youtube.

Best channel on the dial.

banacek
12-12-2015, 01:34 PM

And I still do :)

By the way Bill Harmatz is the jockey in that episode - won the Preakness in 1959 and was one of the jockeys in the famous Hollywood Park triple dead heat in 1957.

HalvOnHorseracing
12-12-2015, 01:47 PM
And I still do :)

By the way Bill Harmatz is the jockey in that episode - won the Preakness in 1959 and was one of the jockeys in the famous Hollywood Park triple dead heat in 1957.

you mean Bill Hartack?

banacek
12-12-2015, 01:53 PM
you mean Bill Hartack?

Nope, Bill Harmatz:

"William Harmatz (February 9, 1931 – January 27, 2011) was an American Thoroughbred horse racing jockey who won the 1959 Preakness Stakes aboard Royal Orbit. The recipient of the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award in 1960, given to a jockey who demonstrates high standards of personal and professional conduct, on and off the racetrack, Harmatz was inducted in the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in 1999."

Shemp Howard
12-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Best channel on the dial.

Svengooli is the bomb.

Shemp Howard
12-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Nope, Bill Harmatz:

"William Harmatz (February 9, 1931 – January 27, 2011) was an American Thoroughbred horse racing jockey who won the 1959 Preakness Stakes aboard Royal Orbit. The recipient of the George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award in 1960, given to a jockey who demonstrates high standards of personal and professional conduct, on and off the racetrack, Harmatz was inducted in the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in 1999."

I remember Harmatz upsetting odds-on Damascus in the Strub Stakes.

Everyone in the East was in shock.

OTM Al
12-12-2015, 03:04 PM
In another type of media been playing the game Fallout 4 recently. Series is based in a post nuclear war alternate reality United States. This time around you adventure in and around the Boston area. Has Fenway and several other Boston landmarks. Today my character was at the airport and sure enough not far away was a racetrack. Sounded like some sort of races were still going there but didn't go in yet. Level of detail made me smile.

bello
12-12-2015, 03:46 PM
In another type of media been playing the game Fallout 4 recently. Series is based in a post nuclear war alternate reality United States. This time around you adventure in and around the Boston area. Has Fenway and several other Boston landmarks. Today my character was at the airport and sure enough not far away was a racetrack. Sounded like some sort of races were still going there but didn't go in yet. Level of detail made me smile.

Suffolk Downs...almost missed many a flight at Logan staying for just one more race at Suffolk.

OTM Al
12-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Suffolk Downs...almost missed many a flight at Logan staying for just one more race at Suffolk.

Don't call the track that nor do they call the airport Logan, alternate history and all, but there they are, pretty much where they are supposed to be.

RaceBookJoe
12-12-2015, 04:30 PM
One episode of 2 and 1/2 Men had Charlie taking Jake to the track. Couple other episodes of the show you see Charlie reading either the Todays Racing Digest or the DRF.
Christmas movie " Crazy for Christmas ' ,there is a mention of going to Saratoga for the races.