PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Friday, December 11

Teach
12-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Another Day At “The Big A”;
Another Carry-Over For Us To Play.

Again, I’m going to give short shrift to the first three races. Instead, I'm going to expend most of my handicapping energies trying to decipher races 4 through 9.

Race One:

:4: PANCAKESAND BATTER

Others: :1: EASY COMPARISON; :6: SUGAR GOLD; :3: SUNNY PUZZLE

Race Two:

:5: LIBERTY FUZE

Others: :2: RIDE THE WORLD; :1: ELECTRO PEG; :4: AWESOME QUICK

Race Three:

:3: BUILDING PERMIT

OTHERS: :6: JULES N ROME; :1: DEVIOUS MADDY; :4: MOM’S LAW

Race Four:

:4: MAJESTICCONFECTION. In this chestnut filly’s last MSW route, she sported the field a Manhattan city-block and then came on like Silky Sullivan in the 1958 Santa Anita Derby. Only in Silky Sullivan’s case, he won the race after sporting the field 28 lengths. In this case Majesticconfection finished a fast-closing second. I would think that if the most capable Jose Ortiz keeps this filly in closer contention, she should – the operative word is “should” – easily defeat this field. Trainer Todd Pletcher does very well in all racing categories. I believe this A.P. Indy-bred has a solid shot of breaking her maiden. If you’re looking to “buy insurance”…

Others: :2: SMILE BIG; :6: WEMBLEY; :7: NATIVE CROSSING

Race Five:

:1: WIZARDLY. Let’s approach this handicapping activity as if it were a geometry problem. Given: This Gone West-bred colt has won a route race (most of the others horses in this field have never even been entered in a route race) at Oklahoma City’s Remington Park about a month ago. This 4 year-old is conditioned by one of the country’s leading trainers, Steve Asmussen. Asmussen does very well with beaten favorites. The colt has been first once and second twice in his last three. And if two parallel lines are cut by a transversal, the alternate interior angles are equal. All kidding aside... Now, it’s time for those three upright triangular dots – the therefore sign – it follows that this Elusive Quality-bred colt should win.

Others: :2: BE A HERO; :4: ONECATS CHANCE; :3: PILOTING

Race Six:

:7: PAR is my upset try. His connections tried this Gone West-bred colt on the turf at “The Big A” about three weeks ago; he finished up the track, although it should be noted that he did close some ground. That latter fact is what I refer to as an endurance notation. He did face better in that one. I do like horses going from turf to dirt. Todd Pletcher’s putting blinkers on. A change in equipment is always an intriguing angle. Jockey Eric Cancel has picked up the pace in recent weeks. That being said, you might want to consider backing up this choice.

Others: :1: UP WITH THE SUN; :8: SPACE RANGER; :4: HANGRY

Race Seven:

:1: INSIDE STRAIGHT is my mild upset try. I must admit I’m a Todd Pletcher aficionado. This Maria’s Mon-bred colt finished second in a turf route about three weeks ago. He’s proven that he can handle the route distance. Again, I like the turf-to-dirt angle. Blinkers on is another wrinkle. Jose Ortiz gets the call. A sharp workout signals readiness.

OTHERS: :2: VINCENTO; :3: CELTIC CHAOS; :4: NEW YORK SONG

Race Eight:

:4: TRICKY ZIPPY has been the model of consistency. The only times she hasn’t been in contention in recent memory is when she was (1) entered in the Grade II Prioress this past September at “The Spa”; she finished fifth and (2) the two times this chestnut filly tried the lawn. Other than that… Trainer Jimmy Jerkens does well with horses that have won their last race. Furthermore, this filly had a solid recent morning work. She’ll likely go off as the prohibitive favorite. Some may be tempted to “single” her; that may be logical (you can’t bet them all). Just in case…

OTHERS: :3: WILLET; :2: ISABELLE; :7: COURT DANCER

Race Nine:

:6: RIVER OF MAGIC is my choice to complete the Pick-Six. This Pioneerof The Nile (Empire Maker)- bred (think American Pharoah) went off as the prohibitive .80 on the dollar choice in his last, a 40k route, a race that was taken off the turf and run on the main; he finished second. This gelding is dropping. It’s his third start off a layoff. The gelding’s trainer, George Weaver, does well with horses entered in maiden-claiming races. Add to all this a solid recent morning work. Eric Cancel is in the irons.

OTHERS: :5: BUSTIN THE BANK; :4: BLACK FRIDAY RUSH; :1: LOOSE MONEY