PDA

View Full Version : Racism by a Supreme Court Judge

Robert Goren
12-10-2015, 05:28 PM
To all those who think racism against Blacks is gone, here an example of it by Supreme Court Judge Antonin Scalia.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/white-house-rebukes-scalia-comments/ar-AAgg2yL?ocid=spartandhp
I had thought that the idea that Blacks should "go to a less*-advanced school, a slower-*track school where they do well" had gone by the wayside many years ago. But I guess I was wrong.

davew
12-10-2015, 06:13 PM
and affirmative action does not show racism?

why not just allow best qualified? why does there have to be so many 'whatever minority you want' in colleges and workplace?

classhandicapper
12-10-2015, 07:20 PM
When I first read that comment I was in total shock.

But what he was talking about is being misrepresented by his political opposition (big shock there...NOT).

He was not saying that black students couldn't handle the tougher schools. He was saying that there are studies that suggest that blacks that get into tougher schools based on affirmative action instead of academic ability don't do as well as similarly gifted students that go to schools that are more in line with their actual academic abilities.

So basically, he's saying the goal of diversification was having a negative impact on some black students. If you aren't qualified and can't handle the pace, you eventually drop out. If you are black and qualified, you do fine.

It would be like sending me to Harvard. I personally would be better off somewhere else even if it helped Harvard meet their quota of horse players because I would drop out of Harvard but might continue somewhere else.

Even if he believed what the left is saying he believes, there's no way he's stupid enough to say it.

Marshall Bennett
12-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Stupid thread. Won't comment an further. :cool:

tucker6
12-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Robert race baiting. How original...

ReplayRandall
12-10-2015, 10:20 PM
To all those who think racism against Blacks is gone, here an example of it by Supreme Court Judge Antonin Scalia.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/white-house-rebukes-scalia-comments/ar-AAgg2yL?ocid=spartandhp
I had thought that the idea that Blacks should "go to a less*-advanced school, a slower-*track school where they do well" had gone by the wayside many years ago. But I guess I was wrong.

Robert, if you truly believe Scalia is racist against Blacks, then the next time he drinks a Coke in Chambers, he will find a well-placed pubic hair on the rim..... :lol:

Hoofless_Wonder
12-11-2015, 03:50 AM
When I first read that comment I was in total shock.

But what he was talking about is being misrepresented by his political opposition (big shock there...NOT).

He was not saying that black students couldn't handle the tougher schools. He was saying that there are studies that suggest that blacks that get into tougher schools based on affirmative action instead of academic ability don't do as well as similarly gifted students that go to schools that are more in line with their actual academic abilities.

So basically, he's saying the goal of diversification was having a negative impact on some black students. If you aren't qualified and can't handle the pace, you eventually drop out. If you are black and qualified, you do fine.

It would be like sending me to Harvard. I personally would be better off somewhere else even if it helped Harvard meet their quota of horse players because I would drop out of Harvard but might continue somewhere else.

Even if he believed what the left is saying he believes, there's no way he's stupid enough to say it.

But as a white, it's not politically correct for him to comment on racial issues, since the White House has cornered that market. Racism is alive and well in this country, with anti-White being the flavor of the day.

boxcar
12-11-2015, 10:54 AM
Robert race baiting. How original...

Robert just needs to learn how to interpret people's words in their context.

boxcar
12-11-2015, 10:58 AM
and affirmative action does not show racism?

BINGO! Affirmative Action says that blacks aren't smart enough to earn their way into colleges and jobs, etc., without help. And that help comes from arrogant, condescending whites who believe blacks would get absolutely nowhere in this world without their help.

Tom
12-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Bobby is confusing racism with common sense.
His comments were 100% correct.

Marshall Bennett
12-11-2015, 12:35 PM
BINGO! Affirmative Action says that blacks aren't smart enough to earn their way into colleges and jobs, etc., without help. And that help comes from arrogant, condescending whites who believe blacks would get absolutely nowhere in this world without their help.
Well said. :ThmbUp:

MONEY
12-11-2015, 01:20 PM

Bull, Affirmative action was implemented because blacks that were qualified were not being accepted in to colleges or hired,simply because they were black.
I agree that it is being used the wrong way, but in no way does it imply that all black people or minorities are stupid.

I told this story before, but here it is again.

In the early 70s, I score 100% on the NYPDs entrance exam.
I met all of the qualifications that were needed to be hired. Then NYC decided to disqualify applicants by zip code.

The zip codes that were chosen were from areas in the city that were occupied by mostly minorities.
The result of what the city did, was that almost all of the police officers hired of the list were white.

In the mid 70s, I again scored 100% on the police exam, and NYC again disqualified the minority neighborhoods from being considered for hiring.
White guys that scored in the low 90s on the exam were getting hired while minorities like myself with perfect scores were getting passed over.

An affirmative action lawsuit was filed and the city lost, so I finally got the job.

Because I was hired after the lawsuit, I went through my entire career with white guys that scored lower on the test than I did, calling me a quota cop.

In conclusion, quotas are wrong.
Affirmation action was caused by institutional racism and not because stupid minorities couldn't get hired or accepted into college.

ElKabong
12-11-2015, 01:54 PM
Bull, Affirmative action was implemented because blacks that were qualified were not being accepted in to colleges or hired,simply because they were black.
I agree that it is being used the wrong way, but in no way does it imply that all black people or minorities are stupid.

I met all of the qualifications that were needed to be hired. Then NYC decided to disqualify applicants by zip code.

The zip codes that were chosen were from areas in the city that were occupied by mostly minorities.
The result of what the city did, was that almost all of the police officers hired of the list were white.

In the mid 70s, I again scored 100% on the police exam, and NYC again disqualified the minority neighborhoods from being considered for hiring.
White guys that scored in the low 90s on the exam were getting hired while minorities like myself with perfect scores were getting passed over.

An affirmative action lawsuit was filed and the city lost, so I finally got the job.

Because I was hired after the lawsuit, I went through my entire career with white guys that scored lower on the test than I did, calling me a quota cop.

Affirmation action was caused by institutional racism and not because stupid minorities couldn't get hired or accepted into college.

Your situation was a shame. Shouldn't have happened and I'm glad things turned out for you.

As far as the UT situation goes, the 10% rule / law is a damn joke. It's reducing talent on campus, I posted about real life situations on here in years past about it. Lot of mediocre kids on campus now that really should be at another University.

johnhannibalsmith
12-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Bull, Affirmative action was implemented because blacks that were qualified were not being accepted in to colleges or hired,simply because they were black. ...

I'm glad that you posted this again. I don't support affirmative action policies in general, but I think it is unfair when its original intent is misrepresented and historical realities ignored for that purpose.

thaskalos
12-11-2015, 02:28 PM

I hope you don't expect Boxcar and Marshall Bennett to admit that they were wrong.

boxcar
12-11-2015, 02:39 PM
I hope you don't expect Boxcar and Marshall Bennett to admit that they were wrong.

Let's go with Money's take for a moment. Righteous intentions can still lead to unintended consequences because unrighteous people will find ways to pervert the true intent. Affirmative Action has been greatly abused because for many years it has been based mostly on mere quotas.

Marshall Bennett
12-11-2015, 03:49 PM
So to correct Money's example is to keep white kids out that score much higher than blacks and just leave it that way?
Brilliant way of raising the education standards for sure.
Typical fix that liberals would approve of. Well it sucks, and it's showing up everywhere.
I know, it's Bush's fault. :bang:

boxcar
12-11-2015, 04:09 PM
So to correct Money's example is to keep white kids out that score much higher than blacks and just leave it that way?
Brilliant way of raising the education standards for sure.
Typical fix that liberals would approve of. Well it sucks, and it's showing up everywhere.
I know, it's Bush's fault. :bang:

Not only that but libs think that racial prejudice can be fixed by enacting social policies that are [b]biased against[b] whites. You don't correct racial biases by implementing policies that are racially biased! :bang: :bang:

PaceAdvantage
12-11-2015, 06:31 PM

Affirmation action was caused by institutional racism and not because stupid minorities couldn't get hired or accepted into college.I agree with your first few sentences 100%. It's disgusting, never mind racist, how some are warping WHY affirmative action was initiated to begin with.

PaceAdvantage
12-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Affirmative action was a necessary evil given the RAMPANT INSTITUTIONAL RACISM THAT EXISTED when affirmative action came into being.

Is it still necessary today? I'm sure in some arenas, most definitely.