PDA

View Full Version : Brace yourself before reading EMD4ME (Tonalist retired)

cj
12-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Claire Novak ‏@BH_CNovak 2m2 minutes ago
Tonalist, son of Tapit who won 2014 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) and just took the Cigar Mile (gr. I), will stand for published fee of $40,000.

Spalding No!
12-09-2015, 04:39 PM
With his outstanding pedigree, I suppose it was wishful thinking to believe he would stay in training.

Nevertheless, its pretty pathetic since the owner made a big deal about the colt running next year after the BC Classic. I guess beating Red Vine by a neck meant there was nothing left to prove.

In retrospect, the owner, apparently miffed by Lane's End's original offer, was simply politicking for a better deal, which he probably got via the Cigar Mile win.

Coward.

Stillriledup
12-09-2015, 04:47 PM
With his outstanding pedigree, I suppose it was wishful thinking to believe he would stay in training.

Nevertheless, its pretty pathetic since the owner made a big deal about the colt running next year after the BC Classic. I guess beating Red Vine by a neck meant there was nothing left to prove.

In retrospect, the owner, apparently miffed by Lane's End's original offer, was simply politicking for a better deal, which he probably got via the Cigar Mile win.

Coward.

I agree. Don't say you're going to run if you're not.

Tall One
12-09-2015, 05:22 PM
And God forbid he gets injured and is put down? In this game, you take the money. Kudos to Lanes End and the the connections of Tonalist.

SuperPickle
12-09-2015, 05:47 PM
I mean they ran him at 4. What else do they need to do?

There's not a human being on this board who'd turn down the money behind a $40K a pop stallion deal.

Stillriledup
12-09-2015, 05:52 PM
I mean they ran him at 4. What else do they need to do?

There's not a human being on this board who'd turn down the money behind a $40K a pop stallion deal.

Why not just retire then, why lie about it and say you're going to run next year?

EMD4ME
12-09-2015, 05:54 PM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Waaaaahhhhhhhh...........

In his last race of his career, the Cigar Mile, at the 5/16, my friend who had $16,000 to win on him was cursing his wager.

My father, said he's dead.

Despite the slow pace and JV's decision to go 4 wide on the turn and head to the rail for home (guess JV did terrible in 1st grade :bang: )....

I was the ONLY one in my group to say it's not over yet. He will overcome!

And he gave me his 2nd most exciting and GUTSY stretch run of his career (obviously the Belmont Stakes win was the other).

With his breeding, I am sure he will do well as a sire.

I know he wasn't super decorated and wasn't some champion but to me Tonalist was a cute gutsy and talented soul.

Best wishes to him.....

cj
12-09-2015, 06:12 PM
I know I'll miss getting to bet against him in the Classic again :)

SuperPickle
12-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Why not just retire then, why lie about it and say you're going to run next year?

Well I think that was an honest answer when it was said. I think they had every intention of running him unless Lane's End came with more money. They did and it changed.

When you're leaving work and say "see yea tomorrow" to everyone and go home to find your aunt died and left you five million dollars so you quit you're not a liar. You intend to come to work when you said it.

Spalding No!
12-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Yeah, Robert Evans, who descends from one of the greatest oil/steel/corporate raiding/financier/newspaper owning/robber baron families in U.S. history (the Mellons), is really hurting for money.

But I guess when your heritage is based on a pathologic need to accumulate vast amounts of wealth this sort of move should come as no surprise.

At least there was one scion of that family that turned out to be sensitive to the condition of his fellow man...Thornton Mellon (seen here in his latter days):

http://www.aphotostudent.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Screen-shot-2011-04-28-at-10.31.36-AM.png

"Ya gotta look out for number one...only don't step in number two!"

Tall One
12-09-2015, 06:16 PM

Lie, lol. Man I'm glad you don't own horses of any caliber. The reason they ran him in the Cigar Mile was because they couldn't reach an agreement after the BC. He won the Mile, they reached an agreement, and now he's going to produce hundreds of runners at $40K a mare.

SuperPickle
12-09-2015, 06:24 PM
I mean they raced him until Thanksgiving weekend of his four-year-old year.

If we're going to be outraged by Grade One horses being retired in November of their four-year-old seasons we are going to be nothing but outraged moving forward.

NorCalGreg
12-09-2015, 06:41 PM
--Glanced at the thread & thought it said

"BRACE YOURSELF BEFORE READING ABOUT EMD"

*sniff* ...thought maybe something had happened to him *sniff* :(

EDIT: Just looked again, looks like maybe you amended the thread title-- did you not, CJ?

Stillriledup
12-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Well I think that was an honest answer when it was said. I think they had every intention of running him unless Lane's End came with more money. They did and it changed.

When you're leaving work and say "see yea tomorrow" to everyone and go home to find your aunt died and left you five million dollars so you quit you're not a liar. You intend to come to work when you said it.

Unless they never really intended to run.

Tall One
12-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Unless they never really intended to run.

:D

After the BC, I was the one that posted in the Tonalist thread it was being reported that because they couldn't reach an agreement for the breeding shed, he would continue to race. They backed that up by entering him in the Mile..which he won. So, yes, I believe they intended to run him, improve his value, and it seems the connections got close to what they were wanting initially.

Stillriledup
12-09-2015, 08:43 PM

After the BC, I was the one that posted in the Tonalist thread it was being reported that because they couldn't reach an agreement for the breeding shed, he would continue to race. They backed that up by entering him in the Mile..which he won. So, yes, I believe they intended to run him, improve his value, and it seems the connections got close to what they were wanting initially.

Ok, fair enough, good point.

Stillriledup
12-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Lie, lol. Man I'm glad you don't own horses of any caliber. The reason they ran him in the Cigar Mile was because they couldn't reach an agreement after the BC. He won the Mile, they reached an agreement, and now he's going to produce hundreds of runners at $40K a mare.

When did I ever say I don't own horses? ;)

cj
12-09-2015, 08:51 PM

EDIT: Just looked again, looks like maybe you amended the thread title-- did you not, CJ?

I did, once he responded I want others to know what it is without having to guess.

Tall One
12-09-2015, 09:39 PM
When did I ever say I don't own horses? ;)

:faint:

/ :D

proximity
12-09-2015, 09:57 PM

thought maybe Julien crouton picked up a bunch of mounts at aqueduct inner or something?

thread almost calls for a haiku. :D

EMD4ME
12-09-2015, 10:15 PM
thought maybe Julien crouton picked up a bunch of mounts at aqueduct inner or something?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Funny!!!

EMD4ME
12-09-2015, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the concern NorCalGreg!

Glad you don't have me on fake ignore like some goofy ones on here :D :D ;)

EMD4ME
12-09-2015, 10:17 PM

You deserve credit Tall One.

Tonalist didn't beat AP on the track in their 1 encounter but I wouldn't be surprised if he beats him as a sire.

Tall One
12-09-2015, 11:46 PM
Now that would be interesting to keep up with. Both have a lot to offer the breeder, but, your value is Tonelist at 40k. Imo..:ducks for cover::

Don't get me wrong though, I was stoked they were going to keep him in training. But this is a business, and I understand the decision.

cj
12-10-2015, 12:14 AM

Tonalist didn't beat AP on the track in their 1 encounter but I wouldn't be surprised if he beats him as a sire.

Hopefully that will sooth you in some small way! :jump:

thaskalos
12-10-2015, 12:27 AM

You think a SECOND encounter might have worked out differently? :)

NorCalGreg
12-10-2015, 02:08 AM

"glad EMD ain't dead"

-a Haiku

-by NCG

bring on Julien

give Cornholio the boot

EMD lives on

thank you

EMD4ME
12-10-2015, 07:48 AM
You think a SECOND encounter might have worked out differently? :)

We're discussing a race where there was one one speed against a few plodders and horses afraid to go near him early (Frosted) trying to run for 2nd.

Yes, if they met at Belmont and Liam's Map, Smooth Roller and Beholder were in the same race, I'd make Tonalist the 4/5 favorite and AP would've been 3/1.

Go ahead guys, blast away :D :D :D

EMD4ME
12-10-2015, 07:49 AM
Hopefully that will sooth you in some small way! :jump:

I bet against him sometimes (Westchester, Suburban) but he's the only horse I've actually endeared myself too since Cigar.

Yeah, it would be nice to see his kids do well. I hope some of them carry on that half white face but not seeing him race will SUCK.

EMD4ME
12-10-2015, 07:51 AM
"glad EMD ain't dead"

-a Haiku

-by NCG

bring on Julien

give Cornholio the boot

EMD lives on

thank you

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. Love it. I won't even attempt to match this with my own Haiku.

Redboard
12-10-2015, 12:28 PM
We're discussing a race where there was one one speed against a few plodders and horses afraid to go near him early (Frosted) trying to run for 2nd.

Yes, if they met at Belmont and Liam's Map, Smooth Roller and Beholder were in the same race, I'd make Tonalist the 4/5 favorite and AP would've been 3/1.

Go ahead guys, blast away :D :D :D

He only won in NY. If he were a west coast mare that only won in CA, you’d be saying how she didn’t beat anybody and only won in her back yard.

Well, somebody had to blast! :)

I liked him in the BCC at 10-1 or over, but with Liam & Beholder out, he went off at a ridiculous 6-1.

No problem with the decision to retire since he is a 4-yrOld. Good luck big fella! I think the win at 12f helped his stallion value.

PhantomOnTour
12-10-2015, 01:04 PM
What does our older division look like for 2016?
Is Honor Code returning?

Tonalist
Liams Map
American Pharoah
Shared Belief :(
...all gone

Tall One
12-10-2015, 01:07 PM
Honor Code
Tonalist
Liams Map

Those three are all standing at Lane's End.

onefast99
12-10-2015, 03:53 PM
What does our older division look like for 2016?
Is Honor Code returning?

Tonalist
Liams Map
American Pharoah
Shared Belief :(
...all gone
Social Inclusion is now retired....

EMD4ME
12-10-2015, 06:54 PM
He only won in NY. If he were a west coast mare that only won in CA, you’d be saying how she didn’t beat anybody and only won in her back yard.

I liked him in the BCC at 10-1 or over, but with Liam & Beholder out, he went off at a ridiculous 6-1.

No problem with the decision to retire since he is a 4-yrOld. Good luck big fella! I think the win at 12f helped his stallion value.

I agree. His not winning elsewhere hurt his legacy.

That's not a blast Redboard :) I always enjoy your posts buddy.

EMD4ME
12-10-2015, 06:56 PM
With the new Derby rules and complete lack of older division it is 3/5 that a 3 YO will win the Triple Crown again in 2016 AND will win the classic.

PhantomOnTour
12-10-2015, 09:11 PM

I believe Tonalist broke his maiden at Gulfstream

porchy44
12-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Just curious. Is it possible or allowed for a colt to breed while maintaining a training and racing schedule ? Has it ever been tried ?