PDA

View Full Version : Campaigns of Terror or Hysteria or Perception

sammy the sage
12-07-2015, 07:50 AM
vs your actual pocketbook...and how the news media & peer pressure influences your thinking ABOUT WHAT is important...

interesting reading..

http://thinkbynumbers.org/government-spending/anti-terrorism-spending-disproportionate-to-threat/

applies to OTHER topics as well...

boxcar
12-07-2015, 09:12 AM
I didn't see air pollution or global warming or climate change on that long list. What a glaring omission! Guess they're not big killers of humans yet -- only fish, birds, polar bears, trees, etc.

You liberals need to get on the stick and take your cue from terrorism spending. You need to "cook the books" on natural deaths by including millions of deaths due to "unbreathable air", fatalities by natural disasters that were triggered by climate change, etc., etc. That should get everyone's attention. This is how you can get to levy heavy taxes on everyone: By scaring everyone to death.

sammy the sage
12-07-2015, 09:25 AM
climate change
gun control
ALL muslim hatred
ect., ect. ect...

covers BOTH party's bases pretty well...so FREAKIN sad... :( :mad: :bang: :bang:

classhandicapper
12-07-2015, 11:34 AM
People simply do not understand the math behind terrorism and what is driving the concern.

Very few people I know are overly concerned about the probability of being killed by terrorism in the US now. It's that we have a president that has the borders wide open to illegals and refugees that in many cases we know are coming from countries that are hotbeds of terrorism and hate of the US. We also know they are recruiting and turning people that are already here. Whatever the math is now is irrelevant. It's what it will become in the future if the asshole in charge doesn't start taking the threat and American safety seriously. That's what concerns people.

davew
12-07-2015, 11:41 AM
Maybe the probabilities are low now, but it is like ebola - once infection hits, deaths will accelerate rapidly.

classhandicapper
12-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Maybe the probabilities are low now, but it is like ebola - once infection hits, deaths will accelerate rapidly.

It's not exactly like Ebola.

This is the math the way I think about it.

An Ebola outbreak in the US was an extremely low probability event with a catastrophic downside if it occurred. It was like the terrorists exploding a nuke in NY. It's very unlikely to occur, but if it did it would be a disaster. You should guard against it despite the very low probability of it occurring because of the catastrophic downside.

Future terrorist attacks are a 100% certainty (as I was saying just a couple of weeks before the CA attack). In this case we are talking about limiting the number and frequency of the occurrences so they don't eventually become a cumulative catastrophe as the rate of occurrence increases due to incompetency in Washington.