PDA

View Full Version : TVG doing a great job

lamboguy
12-06-2015, 01:29 PM
since they took over HRTV they have been doing a great job showing more content. i think the idea with the double screen is terrific.

listening to them handicap a race is another story! but you can use it to your advantage. if they tout a horse and you like the same horse, get off your pick and find another horse or skip the race. it works great for me. if they go out of their way to knock a short priced horse you better take a second look at him before you leave him out of your equation.

upthecreek
12-06-2015, 01:37 PM
IMO they push too many of the preferred tracks over to TVG2 Last week opening day Tampa Bay they showed 1 race and told you to go to TVG 2 or TVG2.COM Millions get TVG ,8 people get TVG2 And as a TVG acct holder they expect me go pay to watch on TVG2-NOT!

horses4courses
12-06-2015, 01:44 PM
I've been delighted for years having TVG (and HRTV) on my dish.
Sure, they're not perfect and not to everyone's liking.

Imagine the alternative, though.
Life without them would be less fun.

Stillriledup
12-06-2015, 01:58 PM

They do a good enough job, but they could be better without analysts shoving recommended plays down our throats every second.

cj
12-06-2015, 02:33 PM
They do a good enough job, but they could be better without analysts shoving recommended plays down our throats every second.

Their job is to get you to bet.

Tom
12-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Amateur hour.
Too many races shown on both at the same time and the switching back and forth is ridiculous.

I seldom bother to tune anymore.

HRTV knew what they were doing.
TVG has no clue.

Stillriledup
12-06-2015, 03:15 PM

I agree, but will add this caveat. They want you to bet, but they don't seem concerned with the preservation of the bankrolls of their customers. If they released less plays, skipped a few races here or there and only had their top handicappers give out picks, their customers would have more money to churn.

I'm not saying give out zero plays, but they don't need to recommend a play on every race at every track every day, especially when some of the plays are not coming from experts on a certain circuit.

For example, which is better for them, giving out a Matt Carothers 96 dollar pick 4 part wheel at Santa Anita OR Matt giving our a 48 dollar play at SA while another much weaker handicapper recommends a 48 dollar wager at Turfway?

They act like people have endless supplies of money.

Tom
12-06-2015, 03:24 PM
They are not on the air to please us.
That is blatantly obvious.

They are an infomercial that shows races.

Marshall Bennett
12-06-2015, 03:42 PM

That about sums it up. I've had them on Dish 11 years now. Can's imagine having had nothing.

Tall One
12-06-2015, 03:49 PM
As a DirecTV subscriber, I wish I could complain about the programming TVG2 shows. :)

Anymore, I just listen to the live feed from whatever track I'm playing, and I'm ok with it.

cj
12-06-2015, 05:48 PM
I agree, but will add this caveat. They want you to bet, but they don't seem concerned with the preservation of the bankrolls of their customers. If they released less plays, skipped a few races here or there and only had their top handicappers give out picks, their customers would have more money to churn.

I'm not saying give out zero plays, but they don't need to recommend a play on every race at every track every day, especially when some of the plays are not coming from experts on a certain circuit.

For example, which is better for them, giving out a Matt Carothers 96 dollar pick 4 part wheel at Santa Anita OR Matt giving our a 48 dollar play at SA while another much weaker handicapper recommends a 48 dollar wager at Turfway?

They act like people have endless supplies of money.

I don't think they really expect people to bet the tickets they advertise. They are just trying to generate interest and get you thinking about the multi race bets. Why? Because they make more money on those than they do on a win bet or an exacta.

Stillriledup
12-06-2015, 10:07 PM
I don't think they really expect people to bet the tickets they advertise. They are just trying to generate interest and get you thinking about the multi race bets. Why? Because they make more money on those than they do on a win bet or an exacta.

But if you recommend 4 win bets vs one pick 4, don't you make more money with 4 takeouts vs 1 and more Churn because players are cashing more? Pick 4s lock up money for 4 races.

thespaah
12-06-2015, 10:29 PM
since they took over HRTV they have been doing a great job showing more content. i think the idea with the double screen is terrific.

listening to them handicap a race is another story! but you can use it to your advantage. if they tout a horse and you like the same horse, get off your pick and find another horse or skip the race. it works great for me. if they go out of their way to knock a short priced horse you better take a second look at him before you leave him out of your equation.
You mean this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ulWjFfLsL0

BettinBilly
12-06-2015, 10:31 PM
I've got AT&T's U-Verse at my primary home and like the service over Time Warner very much. I only got HRTV on U-Verse for the last 4 years or so, and miss it sometimes. Now it's just TVG2 and the way I see it, it's better than nothing. So I tune in if even just to listen.

In my other pad I have Oceanic Cable (there is no U-Verse available) at that location. Oceanic is a division of Time Warner, so I get TVG included with the Sports Package.

It's the only game in town so I go with it. No complaints because the only other option is nothing at all.

cj
12-06-2015, 10:32 PM

Yeah lambo, I'm sure you are making a mint with this strategy.

cj
12-06-2015, 10:35 PM
I've got AT&T's U-Verse at my primary home and like the service over Time Warner very much. I only got HRTV on U-Verse for the last 4 years or so, and miss it sometimes. Now it's just TVG2 and the way I see it, it's better than nothing. So I tune in if even just to listen.

In my other pad I have Oceanic Cable (there is no U-Verse available) at that location. Oceanic is a division of Time Warner, so I get TVG included with the Sports Package.

It's the only game in town so I go with it. No complaints because the only other option is nothing at all.

U-verse actually carried both TVG and HRTV until about two years ago.

thespaah
12-06-2015, 11:44 PM
IMO they push too many of the preferred tracks over to TVG2 Last week opening day Tampa Bay they showed 1 race and told you to go to TVG 2 or TVG2.COM Millions get TVG ,8 people get TVG2 And as a TVG acct holder they expect me go pay to watch on TVG2-NOT!
That's a business decision. They want people paying to watch the races. Eventually, I can see TVG coming off the tube and going all internet. For a stiff price.....
For anyone who wants to have their horseracing and no idle banter, no nonsense. RTN on line is the way to go.
I don;t sub to it now, but I think once racing gets going after the first of the year, I may just do that. Right now its just too convenient to turn on the tv...
BTW Dish offers TVG and TVG 2 in their most basic packages. The Top 120..

thespaah
12-06-2015, 11:47 PM
Too much emphasis on horizontal bets.

SandyW
12-07-2015, 10:38 AM
I think TVG'S selections get you not to bet.

onefast99
12-07-2015, 11:41 AM
Every once in a while one of the hosts goes on a roll like Paul L did this summer at Saratoga.

Marshall Bennett
12-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Even the major networks have them....next?

no breathalyzer
12-07-2015, 12:35 PM
I think TVG'S selections get you not to bet.

:lol: :ThmbUp: If you kept there roi then yes you are correct

Stillriledup
12-07-2015, 01:02 PM
Every once in a while one of the hosts goes on a roll like Paul L did this summer at Saratoga.

There are so many hosts releasing so many bets that the 'fooled by randomness' laws kick in, someone is bound to get on a roll.

onefast99
12-07-2015, 02:01 PM
There are so many hosts releasing so many bets that the 'fooled by randomness' laws kick in, someone is bound to get on a roll.I am talking about Saratoga, Paul did a nice job up there he had some good information and didn't fall all over himself while delivering it.

Nitro
12-07-2015, 02:32 PM
I like TVG for a number of reasons.
They offer decent television programming of horse racing all over the world. They have a number of decent commentators that will often offer an in-depth race analysis from a handicapping perspective. I enjoy their late-night periodic interviews with high profile trainers. (I thought the interview with Wayne Lukas was first rate!). They provide accurate Tote board information. They were the first ADW to offer co-mingled betting with the Hong Kong pools. :ThmbUp:

As far as I’m concerned they’ve supported my interests in this game and I will continue to support their organization with my betting account. If there’s something on the air that doesn’t appeal to me I simply hit the mute button. Of course I have my criticisms too, but nothing’s perfect and I can live with how their programming is evolving.

BettinBilly
12-07-2015, 11:38 PM
U-verse actually carried both TVG and HRTV until about two years ago.

Yes, I know. I was throwing a rough timeline out there because as busy as I am time gets away from me. I have to stop and think.... was it last year they removed TVG? Two years ago? I think it was three or four. Wrong! ;)

Thanks for the correction.

BettinBilly
12-07-2015, 11:48 PM
I like TVG for a number of reasons.
They offer decent television programming of horse racing all over the world. They have a number of decent commentators that will often offer an in-depth race analysis from a handicapping perspective. I enjoy their late-night periodic interviews with high profile trainers. (I thought the interview with Wayne Lukas was first rate!). They provide accurate Tote board information. They were the first ADW to offer co-mingled betting with the Hong Kong pools. :ThmbUp:

As far as I’m concerned they’ve supported my interests in this game and I will continue to support their organization with my betting account. If there’s something on the air that doesn’t appeal to me I simply hit the mute button. Of course I have my criticisms too, but nothing’s perfect and I can live with how their programming is evolving.

I suppose I feel more or less the same way, Nitro. Even when U-Verse dropped TVG and I had to view only HRTV, I missed some of the commentating and the style of coverage I had grown used to with TVG. As you say, you can always mute something that is grinding your ears.

As far as online wagering, I've still got the three major ADW players, TVG, TwinSpires and ExpressBet. Each has their pluses and minuses. Tipping the scales for me was when TVG gave a User Perk Discount for TimeformUS in their Handicapping store. But apart from this, I also have really grown familiar with everything on the TVG Site, and their iPad App is truly stellar.

So I go with TVG and don't complain. It's the only game in town and I'm glad I have at least that network to view coverage. I just wish they'd stream their NETWORK, not just the Track Feeds, to their internet portal. That would be superior for me. I've got a 27 inch HDTV / Monitor for my computer in my office and It would be nice to stream an HD stream of TVG to it. Someday I hope.

Stillriledup
12-30-2015, 05:24 AM
Paulie releasing an exacta on opening day at SA in Race 4, I approve of this, they don't always need to give out pick 4s, exactas and win bets help churn and help players cash more tickets.

Step in right direction.

Canarsie
12-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Yeah lambo, I'm sure you are making a mint with this strategy.

I agree 100%. Something like this could be proven quickly as the selections are usually on air with at least five minutes to post. They also could be looked up if you are a tvg account holder.

All one has to do is say I eliminated so and so horse(s) after a tvg handicapper picked them. Everything could be ready with a copy and paste and should take 15-30 seconds to post so there is a record on how this stratergy works.

I really would like to see the ROI on this one.

mountainman
12-30-2015, 02:08 PM
If you're an analyst at anyplace lacking really big pools and have a following, your opinion will sometimes move the board at least a little, and your picks will end up underlaid. That alone is reason enough for a player to fade a talking head's selections.

And personally, I turn the sound down on whatever track I play. Most of the commentary is over-obvious, and the only opinion that interests me is my own. I don't think that approach is arrogant or unique on my part.

There ARE analysts I respect, but that's beside the point.

SandyW
12-30-2015, 03:12 PM
When TVG got rid of Gino and Siegel I was done watching some of the talentless hosts that they kepted.

Wickel
12-31-2015, 09:08 PM
Amateur hour.
Too many races shown on both at the same time and the switching back and forth is ridiculous.

I seldom bother to tune anymore.

HRTV knew what they were doing.
TVG has no clue.

Amen. Most of the HRTV crew didn't make the cut, or went on to other venues. With two networks, or channels, I expected expanded racing. Not the case. Same programming on both. A total waste of my time. But the biggest disappointment is that TVG still has Matt Carothers polluting the airwaves. No thanks.

Stillriledup
12-31-2015, 09:20 PM
When TVG got rid of Gino and Siegel I was done watching some of the talentless hosts that they kepted.

Paul Loduca released a pick 5 today singling a horrible 3-5 in leg 1. You gotta be better than that.

SuperPickle
01-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Paul Loduca released a pick 5 today singling a horrible 3-5 in leg 1. You gotta be better than that.

He also gave out a $20 horse as his best bet yesterday and his best bet won today and paid $8.

He's on fire...

Stillriledup
01-01-2016, 08:03 PM
He also gave out a $20 horse as his best bet yesterday and his best bet won today and paid $8.

He's on fire...

I think he's a blind squirrel, make enough picks and anyone can hit a 20 dollar winner. Of course, he can come here himself and post his final 2015 ROI and prove me wrong. Not likely he will though.

no breathalyzer
01-01-2016, 10:23 PM
I think he's a blind squirrel, make enough picks and anyone can hit a 20 dollar winner. Of course, he can come here himself and post his final 2015 ROI and prove me wrong. Not likely he will though.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: don't hold your breath or you will pass out.. on a side note nothing is worse when a public handicapper bashes a favorite or logical and the horse jogs home and wins easily .. if you don't like a horse it's one thing but don't go out of your way to shit all over a horse. only to eat crow.. there are a couple out there that seems to be lucky enough to do this consistently

Stillriledup
01-01-2016, 10:40 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: don't hold your breath or you will pass out.. on a side note nothing is worse when a public handicapper bashes a favorite or logical and the horse jogs home and wins easily .. if you don't like a horse it's one thing but don't go out of your way to shit all over a horse. only to eat crow.. there are a couple out there that seems to be lucky enough to do this consistently

He singled a horrible 3-5 shot the other day In leg 1 of SAs pick 5 than followed it up today with a dreadful heavy favorite single in leg 1 of the pick 4.

I'm not going to hold my breath that the '4 time all star' will sign up here and post his ROI. :eek:

johnhannibalsmith
01-01-2016, 10:48 PM
Now come on, unlike most of the hosts that make mysterious statements that cannot be decoded, at least Paulie's are entertaining in their brevity and sincerity.

A couple of weeks ago his remarks on a horse were (more than less, but still more or less): "I think you have to take a look at the first timer in this spot. This rider, he's been riding for a loooong time."

And that was it. It was like fine art.

Stillriledup
01-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Now come on, unlike most of the hosts that make mysterious statements that cannot be decoded, at least Paulie's are entertaining in their brevity and sincerity.

A couple of weeks ago his remarks on a horse were (more than less, but still more or less): "I think you have to take a look at the first timer in this spot. This rider, he's been riding for a loooong time."

And that was it. It was like fine art.

Paulie is the modern day yogi!

duncan04
01-01-2016, 11:26 PM
How predictable. A thread praising TVG turns into a negative one. Like there aren't enough of those around here. :ThmbDown:

cj
01-02-2016, 12:26 AM
How predictable. A thread praising TVG turns into a negative one. Like there aren't enough of those around here. :ThmbDown:

It was never really positive in the first place. Read the first post in its entirety again.

pacer
01-02-2016, 11:01 AM
I only play my own picks I don't ever play any of their picks. I don't care who they pick only my own.

Tall One
01-02-2016, 11:47 AM
I think he's a blind squirrel

Paulie is H4C?

upthecreek
01-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Nothing to praise Every time they try something new,they set horse racing coverage back 100 years I send them a tweet at least once a week-#TVGbadforracing

duncan04
01-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Nothing to praise Every time they try something new,they set horse racing coverage back 100 years I send them a tweet at least once a week-#TVGbadforracing

At least there is a racing channel. Forgot most of the posts on this board is nothing but belly aching. Lol

ronsmac
01-23-2016, 02:21 PM
They have 2 channels , yet instead of showing Oaklawn live on one and Gulfstream live on the other. They decide to keep both at Gulfstream while Oaklawn is running their 1st race. I just shake my head.

Tom
01-23-2016, 04:08 PM
HRTV with one channel was far superior to TVG with two.

Mandrake
01-23-2016, 05:23 PM
You are right. We go from Zoe Cadman and Brad Free with a really good show to a real dolt like Brittany Eurton who's only claim to fame is that her father is a trainer. Life really isn't fair.

Mandrake
01-23-2016, 05:54 PM
Brittany just went over the Santa Anita menu. Very informative.

Stillriledup
01-23-2016, 06:43 PM
You are right. We go from Zoe Cadman and Brad Free with a really good show to a real dolt like Brittany Eurton who's only claim to fame is that her father is a trainer. Life really isn't fair.

We live in a society that rewards nepotism as well as family friends. Having the right genes and family friends and contacts is more important than having talent in some cases. With that said, the competition to get a good job or get on TV is extremely strong, so if you're not talented you won't last very long. Brittany's dad may have gotten her the shot, but it's now all on her to stay there.

Take the case of being an NFL color commentator or studio analyst, you can 'get in' if you're an ex player (especially a hall of fame type) but you need the Talent to stay there, and there are plenty of retired football players looking to be analysts, if you're not really good, you'll get replaced.

Tall One
01-23-2016, 06:46 PM
Brittany is soft on the eyes.. :ThmbUp:

Just recently switched back to Time Warner from DirecTV, so having both channels again is nice....regardless.

Mandrake
01-23-2016, 06:55 PM
SRU, I'm old school, the worst thing that has happened to the NFL is all these women sideline BS reporters. I have never heard a competent question, and all of us have to eat this garbage like we really think that these women know what they are talking about. They are trying to emasculate the last bastion of manhood, the NFL. I have two daughters, no sons, so don't tell me I don't stick up for women, but there is a an agenda here, because the male human being is the target.

ebcorde
01-23-2016, 07:12 PM

she gots to knows something??? Don't be fooled she knows Horses , has a degree from UCLA. she is qualified to be a TV Horse racing personality

as Americans like British race callers (another topic), I prefer female TV pundits because they do their homework, while too many guy pundits give you bad longshot horses.

ebcorde
01-23-2016, 07:18 PM
SRU, I'm old school, the worst thing that has happened to the NFL is all these women sideline BS reporters. I have never heard a competent question, and all of us have to eat this garbage like we really think that these women know what they are talking about. They are trying to emasculate the last bastion of manhood, the NFL. I have two daughters, no sons, so don't tell me I don't stick up for women, but there is a an agenda here, because the male human being is the target.

i agree with that. they on the field thugging, , name calling, "mofo this, mofo that" and halftime go talk the beauty contestant blonde. looks stupid and weird.

Mandrake
01-23-2016, 07:19 PM
So an ex jockey, (Zoe), Becky Wittman, who was in the industry all her life, the English chick, again in racing all her life wasn't? Sorry, no harm intended, but that was rather pathetic.

Racey
01-23-2016, 07:22 PM
look at Brittany over Cadman any day.... I miss Michele Yu also The Edge show always had good preview of the weekend races

ebcorde
01-23-2016, 07:29 PM
I got tired of 3 year old grandaughter pointing at TV "Horsey"

but did TVG get rid of that sour puss Ron Ellis yet? what a grouch.

The only thing I miss is Los Al. Mike, Les and the fellas talking QTR Horses.

Stillriledup
01-23-2016, 07:31 PM

Men are a punch line in many commercials and society views them as the comic relief to the wife, I can't argue there. But, I guess this means men have a sense of humor about things, I guess we have to, right? :D

ebcorde
01-23-2016, 07:39 PM
So an ex jockey, (Zoe), Becky Wittman, who was in the industry all her life, the English chick, again in racing all her life wasn't? Sorry, no harm intended, but that was rather pathetic.

TVG is trying to attract a younger audience, attractive women work .. just ask CNN ,MSNBC and FOX. Nothing against zoe. I liked her too.

Mandrake
01-23-2016, 07:43 PM
SRU, we are just easy targets. Sometimes I think we let that happen to ourselves. I've seen sideline women reporters actually interview people and think they were someone else. But we can't win, it would never be a case of competency, it would be the big bad man picking on the poor woman. I think everyone is looking for competency, in whatever industry you are in, but we are sold a bill of goods. Please, anyone out there how many horses have you bet because Brittany Eurton picked them? No one has to balls to even say they even listen to her.

ebcorde
01-23-2016, 07:45 PM
look at Brittany over Cadman any day.... I miss Michele Yu also The Edge show always had good preview of the weekend races

yes, dropping The Edge pissed me off. a show that was really good making you money and they drop it. so I dropped HRTV online too. I looked forward to the Edge

theiman
01-24-2016, 11:01 AM
she gots to knows something??? Don't be fooled she knows Horses , has a degree from UCLA. she is qualified to be a TV Horse racing personality

as Americans like British race callers (another topic), I prefer female TV pundits because they do their homework, while too many guy pundits give you bad longshot horses.

Ms. Eurton is a Grad from USC, not UCLA.

She also has her own web site with bios's pictures, and audition tapes.

http://www.britneyeurton.com/

Canarsie
01-24-2016, 11:32 AM
SRU, we are just easy targets. Sometimes I think we let that happen to ourselves. I've seen sideline women reporters actually interview people and think they were someone else. But we can't win, it would never be a case of competency, it would be the big bad man picking on the poor woman. I think everyone is looking for competency, in whatever industry you are in, but we are sold a bill of goods. Please, anyone out there how many horses have you bet because Brittany Eurton picked them? No one has to balls to even say they even listen to her.

I can't believe this is 2016 and your writing GARBAGE like this. Just THREE days ago NBC's Pierre McGuire did exactly what you stated that women do. After you watch this HORRENDOUS performance my guess is you'll start calling me a bleeding heart liberal. But since this is so offensive to you maybe writing to NBC and demanding his immediate firing would be your proper recourse. If it is so offensive that a woman does it shouldn't the punishment be exactly the same for a male?

WATCH: Pierre McGuire tries to interview the wrong Red Wings coach

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25456602/watch-pierre-mcguire-tries-to-interview-the-wrong-red-wings-coach

I'll pose a question that is certainly fairer than you posted. How many on here wagered or considered a horse that was discussed by Donna Brothers, Maggie Wolfendale, Caton Bredar, Nancy McMichael, or Christina Blacker among others. The other person mentioned can't even be considered in the group I included.

djm1959
01-24-2016, 12:10 PM
ron ellis is funny looking yes, but ive seen him pick 30-1 winners on the air in the past,,,,,another trainer that gives out bombs is tom amoss ,,see him at keeneland ,listen closely!!