PDA

View Full Version : Sinatra turns 100

upthecreek
12-06-2015, 06:57 AM
Any Sinatra fans on here? Tonight on CBS @9 Pm they have a special celebrating his 100th birthday Every Wednesday on TCM this month they have a concert @8 and then a couple of his movies follow Next Saturday(12/12) his actual birthday, I'm sure it will be Sinatra all day on some channel

Pick 'em Charlie
12-06-2015, 07:22 AM
Any Sinatra fans on here? Tonight on CBS @9 Pm they have a special celebrating his 100th birthday Every Wednesday on TCM this month they have a concert @8 and then a couple of his movies follow Next Saturday(12/12) his actual birthday, I'm sure it will be Sinatra all day on some channel

I'll be keeping an eye out for the Sinatra celebrations. Thanks.

pandy
12-06-2015, 10:23 AM
I have all of those tv specials on the boxed dvd set, which is great. I'll watch the special tonight. I saw Sinatra once in concert, he was the best.

RunForTheRoses
12-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Definitely a fan, love his voice and stylings and how the band would swing along with him.

For anyone into this type of thing there are a bunch of rare Sinatra shows up for bittorrent download at tradersden.org. Free sign up. Just grabbed a few last night.

Robert Goren
12-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Lady Gaga was terrific singing "New York, New York" in show that full highlights.

upthecreek
12-07-2015, 11:15 AM
I want to know who thought it was a good idea to have Garth Brooks sing Lady is a Tramp?

Tor Ekman
12-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Why would any Sinatra fan want to tune in to a show featuring a bunch of hacks doing an injustice to his great tunes? I don't get it.

Shemp Howard
12-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Why would any Sinatra fan want to tune in to a show featuring a bunch of hacks doing an injustice to his great tunes? I don't get it.

My thought's exactly. None of these pooperniggle's could get served a drink in Jilly's Saloon

mikesal57
12-08-2015, 09:32 AM

Its a tribute to a great performer with current stars that the now generation can relate to...

Not even Elvis gets something like this...

Sinatra is dead for 17 years and this can keep his legacy going ...

You guys rather people just fade & forget...????

your something else !!!!!

mike

pandy
12-08-2015, 09:51 AM

Some of the performances were pretty bad, I'd agree. The singer who does a very good job on the old standards is Michael Buble, who sings them with style and respect to the material. Plus he has a good voice.

When Buble signed his first recording contract with Reprise, which was started by Sinatra, he was being interviewed by a suit at Reprise. The guy said something like, "We have to create a pop sound for you." Buble's response was, "No, I want to record standards."

The guy said, "Michael, you know that we own the Sinatra songbook. We don't need another singer doing standards."

Buble said, "With all due respect, sir. Frank is dead. Someone has to keep singing these great songs, and that would be me."

TJDave
12-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Sinatra is dead for 17 years and this can keep his legacy going ...

Sinatra doesn't need help with his legacy. There are more serious musicians/vocalists performing his material today than ever before.

upthecreek
12-08-2015, 12:58 PM
HBO has an excellent documentary, I believe airing Saturday or available on demand-All or Nothing at All
TCM concert tomorrow night @8 "Sinatra Sings", taken from TV specials , narrated by Tina Sinatra

mikesal57
12-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Sinatra doesn't need help with his legacy. There are more serious musicians/vocalists performing his material today than ever before.

Whats the average age on the people in those audiences? ......50-60-70?

The younger generation most likely wont even consider those serious musicians/vocalists
unless
they are like what was on Sunday...

CBS did an excellent job in placing this show when no new episodes were going on regular tv....and also using popular singers from different types of music to get everyone evolved. ( even if you say they were bad)

Ask a kid in his 20's from Apache, Oklahoma , after watching this show , who Frank Sinatra is and....he might give you an answer now