PDA

View Full Version : Trevor retiring

cj
12-04-2015, 01:06 PM
He may have slipped lately, but he was a fabulous announcer for a long time.

cj
12-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Apperently there is no farewell meet either, he won't call the upcoming winter meet that begins December 26th. I first saw this from Teresa Genaro, a very reliable source.

I thought about modifying the title to include Denman, but it isn't necessary. That is how good he was.

Dave Schwartz
12-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Speak the truth, CJ.

I think that many of us do not realize just how difficult that job really is.

One of his epic calls as the horse was romping through the stretch with a double-digit lead: "If you put your money on number nine, take your ticket and stand on line."

cj
12-04-2015, 01:11 PM
But now it has come out he will still call summer Del Mar meet. So he is retired, but he isn't retired.

ManU918
12-04-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm thinking Wrona...

cj
12-04-2015, 01:18 PM
http://www.santaanita.com/press-releases/trevor-denman-the-voice-of-santa-anita-since-1983-announces-retirement-from-the-great-race-place

As mentioned earlier, retirement is from Santa Anita.

ReplayRandall
12-04-2015, 01:20 PM
FULL STATEMENT FROM TREVOR DENMAN (12/04/15):

It is in the link. (edit CJ)

Tom
12-04-2015, 01:30 PM
I think that many of us do not realize just how difficult that job really is.

You would have to sprout wings to keep up with him.

so.cal.fan
12-04-2015, 02:13 PM
VIC STAUFFER?

ronsmac
12-04-2015, 02:14 PM
He may have slipped lately, but he was a fabulous announcer for a long time.
He was the greatest of all time Imo. The first time I heard him i was amazed. I spent 3 1/2 years in Cali as a young man and never heard an announcer so detail oriented.. After listening to Dick Wolley who had his own style but nothing compared to Trevor , I realized California was the top of the chain during the late 80s.

cj
12-04-2015, 02:16 PM
He was the greatest of all time Imo. The first time I heard him i was amazed. I spent 3 1/2 years in Cali as a young man and never heard an announcer so detail oriented.. After listening to Dick Wolley who had his own style but nothing compared to Trevor , I realized California was the top of the chain during the late 80s.

You won't get an argument from he.

I actually watched the first horse race I ever saw from Dick Wooley's booth at Bowie.

Delta Cone
12-04-2015, 02:22 PM
I'm thinking Wrona...

:ThmbUp: I'd love Wrona for SA.

I like Frank Mirahmadi, but he has a gig at OP and Mth, so he's probably not available other than as a fill-in.

Kash$
12-04-2015, 02:23 PM
VIC STAUFFER?

Agree

cj
12-04-2015, 02:24 PM

I like Frank Mirahmadi, but he has a gig at OP and Mth, so he's probably not available other than as a fill-in.

Does Santa Anita run about the same as those two put together? I'm thinking so.

ReplayRandall
12-04-2015, 02:25 PM

I believe Mirahmadi would give up both gigs if offered the SA job...

thaskalos
12-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Listening to Trevor Denman for the first time was as thrilling and eye-opening as a cold splash in the face. The man's race calls had a certain elegance which I had never heard before...and, while his style is often imitated today...it can never be duplicated. He was also the first to notice and announce winning moves made by horses while they were still in the back of the field. His accuracy in these cases was uncanny.

The best race-caller ever...IMO.

Poindexter
12-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Listening to Trevor Denman for the first time was as thrilling and eye-opening as a cold splash in the face. The man's race calls had a certain elegance which I had never heard before...and, while his style is often imitated today...it can never be duplicated. He was also the first to notice and announce winning moves made by horses while they were still in the back of the field. His accuracy in these cases was uncanny.

Agree 100%. Very well stated.

JimG
12-04-2015, 03:15 PM
My guess is the demise of Hollywood Park hastened his semi-retirement as Santa Anita and Del Mar picked up even more race dates and Denman more work. It is nice he will still be announcing at Del Mar. I think we were spoiled in a sense having Denman out west and Durkin back east. Definite changing of the guard at the upper echelon of the profession.

Be interesting to see who SA puts in that spot.

Jim

Speed Figure
12-04-2015, 03:24 PM
I would love to have Kurt Becker be the new voice.

Kash$
12-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Sam Mckee

no breathalyzer
12-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Jeff Cernik is available

Stillriledup
12-04-2015, 03:41 PM
Jeff Cernik is available

He can change his signature call to the 'inn at santa Anita turn' ( and yes, there is a santa Anita inn right next to the track!)

ronsmac
12-04-2015, 04:41 PM
You won't get an argument from he.

I actually watched the first horse race I ever saw from Dick Wooley's booth at Bowie.In Middle school before moving to N.Y. my weekday highlight was watching wooley"s stretch call on the 6pm sports. I think Vince Bagli was the sports guy. Anyway , Santa anita won't be the same.

wisconsin
12-04-2015, 05:35 PM
I would love to have Kurt Becker be the new voice.

Does year round work with Nascar already.

olddaddy
12-04-2015, 05:36 PM
No matter who gets the SA job, some nice gigs will be open.

098poi
12-04-2015, 06:28 PM
I am a big fan of Trevor and wish him well. When I lived in LA and used to frequent SA I bought a cheap transistor radio and you could tune to a frequency that had the track feed or something. I liked to listen as the horses were approaching the gate and being loaded before the PA was turned on for the track. I didn't realize I was going at a time when there was a great jockey colony there, "the Shoe", Pincay, Dellahoussaye, Stevens, McCarron, young Desormeaux and the rest. He had a natural way of always sounding upbeat, awake, positive without sounding like a pushy salesman or something. I agree with an earlier poster how he seemed to pick out the winner early on just by how he looked running while I was like, "Huh?"

Best of luck to you sir!!:ThmbUp:

BIGTKLO
12-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Everybody needs to watch and listen to the 1989 Preakness Stakes. It might be my favorite race and call of all time. Goosebumps.

grandstander21
12-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Farewell to Trevor Denman. I hope he has a good retirement from Santa Anita.

This sport is draining fast. First we lose Tom Durkin, now Trevor? To be honest, Durkin was the best race caller I've ever heard. His race calls were a part of my childhood, but so were Denman's. Two of the best race callers have abandoned their roles in the sport. Well I know Denman is still calling Del Mar, but I believe Santa Anita was his main track.

As for the new race caller for Santa Anita, I highly believe it should be Vic Stauffer. He's great at calling races and I have absolutely no idea what he's doing now that Hollywood Park is gone

Kash$
12-04-2015, 08:29 PM
We still have Grunder from Tampa whos been horrific since opening day :lol: :lol:

Cratos
12-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Trevor's call of Zenyatta winning the BCC was more thrilling to me than Chic Anderson's call of Secretariat's 1973 Belmont Stakes win.

Racing will lose a great race caller.

SandyW
12-04-2015, 11:53 PM
We still have Grunder from Tampa whos been horrific since opening day :lol: :lol:
Let's not start this up again, Grunder is not going anywhere. He is the long time voice of Tampa and does a good job.

Donttellmeshowme
12-05-2015, 12:30 AM
Vic or Frank who you got?

Both are very good but Frank would have to give up his Oaklawn gig.

Give me Vic anyday...

thaskalos
12-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Vic or Frank who you got?

Both are very good but Frank would have to give up his Oaklawn gig.

Give me Vic anyday...

What...and have Vic give up his gig at Derby Wars?

Stillriledup
12-05-2015, 01:56 AM
What...and have Vic give up his gig at Derby Wars?

Anytime, anywhere etc. I'm thinking the announcers booth qualifies as 'anywhere' :D

sharkie187
12-05-2015, 03:10 AM
Sure going to miss his race calls at Santa Anita. Everytime I went there you pretty much expected Trevor to be the race caller. The track wont have the same feel to it with a different caller.
Does anyone remember that Trevor use to call at Hollywood Park too? Anyone know why he stopped calling there? I remember the summer that Michael Wrona took over for him and then it was the late Luke Kruytbosch before Vic became the new/final voice at HP. (And somewhere in between these gentlemen Ed Burgart did both Hollywood and Los Al on the same day) but never got a clear answer why Trevor stopped at Hollywood Park

Redbullsnation
12-05-2015, 04:00 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tho, I could see Dave Rodham replacing him at SA like he did when Trevor was at LP/PIM

Inner Dirt
12-05-2015, 04:33 AM
Best I ever heard, hands down. Unlike others in here I am not a fan of Frank. I don't play Santa Anita anymore once they went to synthetic I couldn't pick a winner to save my life and even after switching back I still struggled there so I gave up. My vote for a successor would go to Vic since he called locally and most fans liked him. I went to Santa Anita hundreds of times for more than 30 years till I moved East a few years ago. That article answered a nagging question I always wondered who the fill in announcer was for Dave Johnson it was Alan Buchdahl. I always wondered what happened to Buchdahl, does anyone know? Google doesn't turn up much.

Tom
12-05-2015, 09:00 AM

One of my all time favorites.

Johnny I
Grunder
Tony Gallo

Top three, bar none.

Tony and Johnny put the emphasis on the race, Richard jut has the voice that no one will ever not recognize. I'd play BINGO if he was the caller. :D

bks
12-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Trevor's voice and race-calling style combined to really envelop you in both the race, but also the whole meet. He created a sense of place (without really trying to) like few other announcers I've ever heard.

I actually would look forward to both the Winter holidays and the Summer a bit more than I should because it meant Hollywood Park would finally be finished, and we'd have the return of Trevor's voice for a long season. Like a warm blanket or comfortable sock.

I'll miss him. His retirement is just one more reason this game is becoming less and less inviting. Hope he hangs on a bit longer at Del Mar.

chenoa
12-05-2015, 11:05 AM
2 icons retire within just over a year. Talk about a kick in the nuts to the racing fan.

Who didn't want to visit or take a vacation to the great race place for the weekend just to hear Trevor say "andawaytheygo".

Look forward to Trevor Denman day at SA.

Rex Phinney
12-05-2015, 11:55 AM

Agreed 100%.

The regalness of his voice always excited me. Trevor is all I've ever known following racing on the west coast. I'd call him 1 and Durkin 1A, sucks they are both gone.

hacklimit
12-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Unless you are at the track, does anyone listen to racecalls anymore? A spotted owl can call the races for all I care.

BIGTKLO
12-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Unless you are at the track, does anyone listen to racecalls anymore? A spotted owl can call the races for all I care.
WHO

upthecreek
12-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Andy Asaro (@racetrackandy) tweeted at 6:21 AM on Sat, Dec 05, 2015:
Michael Wrona/Frank Mirahmadi will take over the mic. for Trevor Denman. https://t.co/NqyEVc26fJ
(https://twitter.com/racetrackandy/status/673099966064144384?s=​09)

Dark Horse
12-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the good times, Trevor. If you ever get bored in retirement please write a book about your experiences.

Part 1: "And aaaaaaaaaaway they go!"
Part 2: "They would have to grow wings!" (rivaled only by Chris Berman's "He could go all the way!" in staccato every five yards)

Vic, if this doesn't have your name written all over it ...

SmartyParty
12-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Trevor is the eleventh and last chapter of "They Call the Horses." It tells why he quit Hollywood Park. Having interviewed the top track announcers in the country, my vote would go to Michael Wrona or Dave Rodman to call at Santa Anita. But they might not want to have to deal with Brackpool. Yes, I already miss Trevor as well as Tom.

Tom
12-05-2015, 03:27 PM
WHO

:lol:

RunForTheRoses
12-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Sure going to miss his race calls at Santa Anita. Everytime I went there you pretty much expected Trevor to be the race caller. The track wont have the same feel to it with a different caller.
Does anyone remember that Trevor use to call at Hollywood Park too? Anyone know why he stopped calling there? I remember the summer that Michael Wrona took over for him and then it was the late Luke Kruytbosch before Vic became the new/final voice at HP. (And somewhere in between these gentlemen Ed Burgart did both Hollywood and Los Al on the same day) but never got a clear answer why Trevor stopped at Hollywood Park

Don't remember all the details but it had something to do with a Minnesota residence (where his wife is from) and studying Botany or Zoology. Something like that.

RunForTheRoses
12-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Don't remember all the details but it had something to do with a Minnesota residence (where his wife is from) and studying Botany or Zoology. Something like that.

So far, the races are still fresh for me. My schedule has always allowed me plenty of down time. Ever since I started calling races in the States, I have worked seven months a year doing the Santa Anita, Del Mar and Oak Tree meets with five months off during Hollywood Park to be away from the races completely. We spend that time on our farm in Minnesota. My wife, Robin is from there so we bought several hundred acres a few years back.

http://www.rogerstein.com/openpublish/article/six-furlong-drill-trevor-denman

RunForTheRoses
12-05-2015, 04:26 PM
He was a great Racecaller...UHHHWAAAAY They Gooo...

Stillriledup
12-05-2015, 04:28 PM
How many Trevorisms can you name:

Sprout wings
Scraping the paint (hasn't been used much recently)

What else?

Tom
12-05-2015, 04:46 PM
About 4 lengths would cover the lot.

thaskalos
12-05-2015, 04:49 PM

Sprout wings

What else?
Winning with "condescending ease". :ThmbUp:

Kash$
12-05-2015, 04:49 PM
About 4 lengths would cover the lot.

Zenyatta......Zenyatta.......Zenyatta......Zenyatt ttttttttttttttta..I think Blame held on..

Zenyatta is Dead Last

chenoa
12-05-2015, 04:56 PM
"You can ring up the register"

"Your going to have to pick up your socks if your gonna catch me"

MonmouthParkJoe
12-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Best of luck to him in retirement. I was never a fan at all, but different strokes for different folks.

I hope to god Mirahmadi doesnt leave Monmouth. I grew up with the soothing sounds of Collmus and always associated his voice with Monmouth. Travis Stone came in that one year and was absolutely miserable. I like announcers that get the call right and make it their own, give it a little personality. Stone had about as much personality as a bucket of hair.

Durkin was always my favorite, and without him this past year at Saratoga made a considerable difference for me. I hope they bring him back for a day there, I would make the trip just for that. Lederman was another favorite of mine at Freehold.

Someone mentioned Sam McKee and I think he would be great, but cant see him leaving the big m. Here is to hoping Frank doesnt leave Monmouth, even though it would make sense for him to do so. Esp with him being such a fan of Trevor

Kash$
12-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Looks like he joined in at the quarter pole

Stillriledup
12-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Winning with "condescending ease". :ThmbUp:

Two more:

Procession

Vanguard

098poi
12-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Not sure if this was said, "If you've got your money on SRU you can head to the window and be first in line". Something like that

Stillriledup
12-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Not sure if this was said, "If you've got your money on SRU you can head to the window and be first in line". Something like that

If you got your money on me you can be first in line to the trash can :D

v j stauffer
12-05-2015, 05:49 PM
He was a great Racecaller...UHHHWAAAAY They Gooo...

You mean is? Correct?

098poi
12-05-2015, 05:55 PM
If you got your money on me you can be first in line to the trash can :D

I know the feeling

SuperPickle
12-05-2015, 06:40 PM
I would peg Wrona at about 1-5 to get this job.

Not to upset Vic and trade in announcer gossip but the word on the street in their clique was Woodbine REALLY encouraged Wrona to interview for the job. They wanted him.

He choose not to which is highly odd given the Woodbine is highly stable position combined with the uncertainty around longterm racing at Golden Gate.

The consensus among onlookers was Wrona knew Trevor was leaving in the not too distant future and he was essentially was waiting out Trevor.

So given he's already an employee of the company and has a similar voice/style as Trevor like I said he's 1-5.

Now the harder question is who goes to Golden Gate. Let me be the first to say I hope Vic!

RunForTheRoses
12-05-2015, 07:05 PM

Sprout wings

What else?

There were some negative Trevorisms, such as (the 4 horse the fave you need to hit a nice Pick 4) is not going on with it or other lines which would make you deflate because it wasn't gonna happen.

RunForTheRoses
12-05-2015, 07:12 PM
You mean is? Correct?

Yes, he's only in semi-retirement.

The link/interview I posted earlier is fairly recent, he just appears to be downsizing not calling it quits like Durkin.

olddaddy
12-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Now the harder question is who goes to Golden Gate. Let me be the first to say I hope Vic!

With that job he may also be able to keep his stripes and blue gig.

Stillriledup
12-05-2015, 07:29 PM
There were some negative Trevorisms, such as (the 4 horse the fave you need to hit a nice Pick 4) is not going on with it or other lines which would make you deflate because it wasn't gonna happen.

Another one he used is 'something is wrong with....' If a favorite started backing up suddenly.

ultracapper
12-05-2015, 08:59 PM

Sprout wings

What else?

Geez, the one that stands out with me is,

"Looking for a danger, but there simply isn't one"

Great race caller. Henson the Younger called at Longacres when I started there. He was fabulous.

EMD4ME
12-05-2015, 09:35 PM
"And they couldn't be going faster out here"

"Theeeeeeey come to the top of the lane"

"Insert name here, draaaaaaaaws cleaaaahhhhhh by thaaareeee"

cj
12-05-2015, 09:41 PM
You mean is? Correct?

I think I expressed how I feel about Trevor as a racecaller when I started this thread, but personally, I don't think he is great at this point in his career. That isn't a knock in my opinion. Nobody can maintain the form he had in his younger years at 63.

cj
12-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Now the harder question is who goes to Golden Gate.

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

johnhannibalsmith
12-05-2015, 11:36 PM
-"Moooooo vinng lie-ka winna"

And he is, going out before people are clamoring for it. Great career, an icon at his craft, and once again showing great timing as the race nears an end.

Zaf
12-06-2015, 12:24 AM
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

:lol:

iceknight
12-06-2015, 03:51 AM
Apperently there is no farewell meet either, he won't call the upcoming winter meet that begins December 26th. I first saw this from Teresa Genaro, a very reliable source.

I thought about modifying the title to include Denman, but it isn't necessary. That is how good he was. You could've said "Clevor Trevor" - I liked many of his calls (esp Caleb's Posse in BC Dirt Mile as the horse was my favorite) though I came to this sport late in his career! Kash$ stole part of my comment! :)

arw629
12-06-2015, 04:51 AM
Peter Berry or John McGarry?

chenoa
12-06-2015, 08:20 AM
I think I expressed how I feel about Trevor as a racecaller when I started this thread, but personally, I don't think he is great at this point in his career. That isn't a knock in my opinion. Nobody can maintain the form he had in his younger years at 63.

Very accurate statement, as a follower of SoCal racing you knew this was coming sooner rather than later, not a knock, father time catches up with everybody. He had a great career. :p

NTamm1215
12-06-2015, 10:21 AM
Best of luck to him in retirement. I was never a fan at all, but different strokes for different folks.

I hope to god Mirahmadi doesnt leave Monmouth. I grew up with the soothing sounds of Collmus and always associated his voice with Monmouth. Travis Stone came in that one year and was absolutely miserable. I like announcers that get the call right and make it their own, give it a little personality. Stone had about as much personality as a bucket of hair.

Durkin was always my favorite, and without him this past year at Saratoga made a considerable difference for me. I hope they bring him back for a day there, I would make the trip just for that. Lederman was another favorite of mine at Freehold.

Someone mentioned Sam McKee and I think he would be great, but cant see him leaving the big m. Here is to hoping Frank doesnt leave Monmouth, even though it would make sense for him to do so. Esp with him being such a fan of Trevor

Good thing Churchill disagreed with your assessment of Travis. As did the people who responded to a Twitter poll about who the next SA announcer should be. Different strokes for different folks.

NY BRED
12-06-2015, 10:27 AM
SEND LARRY C TO THE WEST COAST

THEN ;

BRING IN TRAVIS STONE TO NY ON A PERMANENT BASIS

THE PERFECT STORM IN MY WORLD...

Stillriledup
12-06-2015, 11:35 AM
One thing that gets lost in all of this is that for years on top of years, it was Trevor at SA, DMR and then right into FAIRplex for what seemed like 18 consecutive days Trevor didnt miss a day or a race. Amazing commitment to call the entire Fplex meet after a grueling 6 day a week DMR meet in the summers, it was rare when Trevor missed a race much less a day. Kudos to the work ethic, it took a lot for this guy to miss a race.

theiman
12-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Mirahmadi was just on a So Cal radio show. He said when he is at SA, Wrona will be at GG. When Wrona does the SA races, Mirahmadi will be doing the GG races. The schedule hasnt been finalized yet.

I dont know what this means for Monmouth or Oaklawn.

Valuist
12-06-2015, 03:50 PM
So Colmus gets the BC. He wanted Churchill, he got that. He wanted the NYRA gig, he got that. Nothing against him, but is he that much better than the others? I don't think so. I'm guessing if he wants this he will get it.

Stillriledup
12-06-2015, 04:10 PM
So Colmus gets the BC. He wanted Churchill, he got that. He wanted the NYRA gig, he got that. Nothing against him, but is he that much better than the others? I don't think so. I'm guessing if he wants this he will get it.

Here's the thing about Collmus. He's not flashy, but he's a very trustworthy human, his calls while not over the top, are exactly what horseplayers want, accuracy and calmness, one thing that irks me is announcers who overall cheap races and call with nervous energy, Larry keeps me calm which is actually important when risking money on races.

Larry is a classic announcer with old school charm, this is the type of announcer tracks are looking for, they're looking for a voice that makes you think they have a quality product, Larry does that better than most (if not all) and this is exactly what Trevor gave so cal racing for so many years.

castaway01
12-06-2015, 04:57 PM

It's funny how you hate Travis Stone but love Durkin, yet Stone sounds like a young Durkin mixed with Dave Johnson. He's also about 30---time to grow into that voice.

elhelmete
12-06-2015, 07:05 PM
"And they couldn't be going faster out here"

"Theeeeeeey come to the top of the lane"

"Insert name here, draaaaaaaaws cleaaaahhhhhh by thaaareeee"

"Not in any hurry out here"

"setting a sensible pace"

"six lengths would cover the lot"

I've met Trevor a couple times, and hosted him at my place of business once.

He really loves his job...but also equally loves life outside the track, esp up at his place in Minnesota.

His voice has been sounding very tired lately. I have to imagine the extending SA and DMR meets are simply wearing him down.

I'll miss his calls a ton.

TravisVOX
12-07-2015, 10:27 AM
I had the privilege of spending time with Trevor one night at a local watering hole while in Del Mar for the weekend. In addition to his unmatched abilities as a race caller, he's also a fun and interesting person. He's cultured, well-read and enjoys a good time. He also tried to get me to stop eating meat, but that didn't work.

My favorite "Trevorism" is... "out here mooooooving like a winner!"

The three iconic voices of my lifetime (Johnson, Durkin and Denman) all semi-retired or retired. Sad in a way.

jballscalls
12-07-2015, 10:43 AM
My only Trevor story was getting to sit with him for a maiden claiming race one day. He called the race as I sat there watching him and afterwards he turned around "Jason I'm sorry you had to see that, it had to be the worst race we've ever had here at Santa Anita". I told him that any of those horses would be stakes winners where I call at.

He really was so cool. My favorite Trevorism is when they're on the final turn and he gets back to a favorite who's in trouble and says "And let's see" then says the horses name and you know your ticket is toast if you played that horse.

jballscalls
12-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Mirahmadi was just on a So Cal radio show. He said when he is at SA, Wrona will be at GG. When Wrona does the SA races, Mirahmadi will be doing the GG races. The schedule hasnt been finalized yet.

I dont know what this means for Monmouth or Oaklawn.

Means the Oaklawn GM's phone is ringing off the hook

Stillriledup
12-07-2015, 02:27 PM
I had the privilege of spending time with Trevor one night at a local watering hole while in Del Mar for the weekend. In addition to his unmatched abilities as a race caller, he's also a fun and interesting person. He's cultured, well-read and enjoys a good time. He also tried to get me to stop eating meat, but that didn't work.

My favorite "Trevorism" is... "out here mooooooving like a winner!"

The three iconic voices of my lifetime (Johnson, Durkin and Denman) all semi-retired or retired. Sad in a way.

Jimmy Os :D

Redbullsnation
12-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Means the Oaklawn GM's phone is ringing off the hook
Terry Wallace is making a comeback :D

dilanesp
12-07-2015, 05:28 PM
As always, track announcers aren't very important. Indeed, all that great announcing by Trevor didn't stop Santa Anita attendance from declining from 25,000 a day when he got there to 5,000 a day now, or the Santa Anita Handicap from declining from 83,000 attendance (the first year he called it) to 27,000 now.

It turns out that people cared much more about the sport when announcing was much more embryonic. It really doesn't matter who is calling the races.

Having said that, there is a sense in which Trevor, probably more than any other American racing announcer in history, made an impact. And that is that he really was the guy who put together the modern, detailed racecall. He consistently identified trouble. He looked for moves and the horse's action and whether they were being asked, and therefore conveyed in his call who was going to be around at the finish rather than who was in front. He was incredibly accurate, especially in his early years. Like Chick Hearn with the Lakers, he created a lexicon-- "scraping the paint", "they'd have to sprout wings", "going the better of the two", etc.

Racecalling in America is much better because Trevor came here from South Africa and showed us how to do it.

So he was the most influential (though perhaps not the best) at a craft that isn't particularly important. I will still miss him though.

dilanesp
12-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Here's the thing about Collmus. He's not flashy, but he's a very trustworthy human, his calls while not over the top, are exactly what horseplayers want, accuracy and calmness, one thing that irks me is announcers who overall cheap races and call with nervous energy, Larry keeps me calm which is actually important when risking money on races.

Larry is a classic announcer with old school charm, this is the type of announcer tracks are looking for, they're looking for a voice that makes you think they have a quality product,

+1

I continue to say that New York fans may not really realize how good they have it with Collmus. This guy is going to give you accurate, skilled racecalls for at least 15 years.

BettinBilly
12-08-2015, 12:02 AM
All I can say is that I have appreciated his talent over the years, I respect his skill even if it has slipped a bit with age (as it does with just about everyone), and I will miss his announcing when he is gone.

I was in radio for a while and had to read many scripts live on air and do voice-overs for commercials. No biggie for me doing that, but calling a race by memorizing Jockey colors to horse names for numerous races in a row? That is something I personally would have a very hard time doing correctly, especially calling out tightly packed horses by a head or a half a length, at distance and speed. So therefore, I greatly respect the skill it takes to properly and accurately call a horse race.

Thanks for the memories Trevor. Enjoy your retirement.

Redbullsnation
12-08-2015, 02:17 AM
So Frank and Mike will be SA's version of Sam and Ken. Okay...

TravisVOX
12-08-2015, 10:50 AM
As always, track announcers aren't very important. Indeed, all that great announcing by Trevor didn't stop Santa Anita attendance from declining from 25,000 a day when he got there to 5,000 a day now, or the Santa Anita Handicap from declining from 83,000 attendance (the first year he called it) to 27,000 now.

It turns out that people cared much more about the sport when announcing was much more embryonic. It really doesn't matter who is calling the races.

Having said that, there is a sense in which Trevor, probably more than any other American racing announcer in history, made an impact. And that is that he really was the guy who put together the modern, detailed racecall. He consistently identified trouble. He looked for moves and the horse's action and whether they were being asked, and therefore conveyed in his call who was going to be around at the finish rather than who was in front. He was incredibly accurate, especially in his early years. Like Chick Hearn with the Lakers, he created a lexicon-- "scraping the paint", "they'd have to sprout wings", "going the better of the two", etc.

Racecalling in America is much better because Trevor came here from South Africa and showed us how to do it.

So he was the most influential (though perhaps not the best) at a craft that isn't particularly important. I will still miss him though.

It's funny how you start off this lengthy post with the line, "As always, track announcers aren't very important."

Sort of like, "I'm not a statistician, but I've been recording these stats."

dilanesp
12-08-2015, 11:35 AM
It's funny how you start off this lengthy post with the line, "As always, track announcers aren't very important."

Travis:

The reason it is worth remembering that point is the threads arguing about track announcers are some of the longest on PA- sometimes longer than threads on track biases, drugs, handicapping first time starters, or other important topics. (I'm a fan of some other minor sports and I have noticed this in them as well-- track and field discussion boards, for instance, have huge threads about public address announcers. Meanwhile, baseball and football fans barely discuss them- they discuss players of coaches instead of public address. I think this may be an indicator of whether a sport is major or minor.)

We spend a lot of time discussing a subject that really isn't very fundamental to the sport, so I include the caveat.

castaway01
12-08-2015, 11:42 AM

Travis, if you've read some of Dilane's other opinions, like how the NFL is failing, then you'd know not to put any stock in them. Just a weird person with no clue.

AndyC
12-08-2015, 12:06 PM

He made a salient point. Announcers aren't the show any more than an umpire is the show in baseball. People don't go to the races or bet the races because of an announcer. Bettors have and will tolerate bad announcers but they really appreciate a good announcer.

Cholly
12-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Travis, if you've read some of Dilane's other opinions, like how the NFL is failing, then you'd know not to put any stock in them. Just a weird person with no clue.

a weird person...for sure. But if I frequently disagree with his opinions, you couldn't be more wrong in your "no clue" comment. Like many posters here, Dilanesp is sometimes way wrong, sometimes spot on, and frequently entertaining.

upthecreek
12-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Frank Mirahmadi (@FrankMirahmadi) tweeted at 1:26 PM on Tue, Dec 08, 2015:
I have resigned @OaklawnRacing to pursue opportunities with @santaanitapark and The Stronach Group. Will call SOME of SA winter/spring meet
(https://twitter.com/FrankMirahmadi/status/674293926388338688?s=​09)

Cholly
12-08-2015, 01:54 PM
Frank Mirahmadi (@FrankMirahmadi) tweeted at 1:26 PM on Tue, Dec 08, 2015:
I have resigned @OaklawnRacing to pursue opportunities with @santaanitapark and The Stronach Group. Will call SOME of SA winter/spring meet
(https://twitter.com/FrankMirahmadi/status/674293926388338688?s=​09)

I'm curious: What kind of contracts do these people have that they can just up and bolt the minute another opportunity comes along? Do the tracks have the right to shitcan without notice an announcer if one they'd prefer becomes available? Would they still have to pay them?

SuperPickle
12-08-2015, 02:47 PM
I'm curious: What kind of contracts do these people have that they can just up and bolt the minute another opportunity comes along? Do the tracks have the right to shitcan without notice an announcer if one they'd prefer becomes available? Would they still have to pay them?

Big guys have contracts and smaller guys are employment at will.

My guess is Frank gets GG and Wrona gets SA. Either way my hunch is Frank leaves both Monmouth and Oaklawn. I'm sure he loves both but they're two four month gigs 1,000 miles apart. SA or GG would be one gig, one place 8-9 months. Plus he could still call the fairs. I think most of us would pick that.

Track Phantom
12-08-2015, 04:15 PM
+1

I continue to say that New York fans may not really realize how good they have it with Collmus. This guy is going to give you accurate, skilled racecalls for at least 15 years.

Is being "skilled" and "accurate" as a race caller that important when the races are televised? I'd take voice character, tone and appealing cadence over accuracy but that's just me.

Cholly
12-08-2015, 04:17 PM
But wouldn't Oaklawn have been able to contractually protect themselves from being raided like this just 5 weeks before they open?

alhattab
12-08-2015, 04:34 PM
But wouldn't Oaklawn have been able to contractually protect themselves from being raided like this just 5 weeks before they open?

SA could have bought them out, or maybe they let Frank go. Nobody wants someone around who doesn't want to be there, especially in the entertainment business.

TravisVOX you would seem to be a great fit for Oaklawn. Perfect timing with Churchill- call from mid Jan-early July and get the summer off for visits to Monmouth and Saratoga!

cj
12-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Announcers are more important now than they have ever been. In the days before simulcasting, you only saw the races at the track. And let us be honest, it was very hard to hear the announcer at any track I ever attended...and that is a long list.

When simulcasting came along, it got a little better. You got more tracks to see, but again, it wasn't easy to hear and often only a few tracks had audio while others were run with the sound down. It got better as "simulcast rooms" became more common, but still, it wasn't great.

Then came TVG along with in home wagering with video, and we all got to hear announcers full calls every race. The voice of the announcer became the signature of a track in my opinion. Everybody the follows the game now knows who the announcers are and can tell what track is on just by hearing the audio.

whodoyoulike
12-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Sad news but, I wish Trevor the very best in semi-retirement. Glad he'll still call Dmr which means free donut days will continue for a little while longer. I can't believe he's 63. If the SA press release picture is a recent one then he hasn't aged very much. I wonder if he dyes his hair but probably only his hairdresser would know for sure.

djm1959
12-08-2015, 06:34 PM
howard oil :D :D :D

Redbullsnation
12-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Well, looks like Oaklawn needs a track announcer now. :D
Monmouth is okay since Ken or Sam can always slide over there but Oaklawn is screwed

chenoa
12-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Vic Stauffer can save the Oaklawn meet!!!!

Redbullsnation
12-08-2015, 07:29 PM
Vic Stauffer can save the Oaklawn meet!!!!

Will he enjoy the MidWestern weather, tho??

Valuist
12-08-2015, 10:04 PM

Larry is a classic announcer with old school charm, this is the type of announcer tracks are looking for, they're looking for a voice that makes you think they have a quality product, Larry does that better than most (if not all) and this is exactly what Trevor gave so cal racing for so many years.

The Breeders Cup needs flashy. Durkin had it, and so did Trevor.

Valuist
12-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Will he enjoy the MidWestern weather, tho??

He announced at Hawthorne. If he can handle December in Stickney/Cicero, he can handle Hot Springs in February.

cj
12-08-2015, 10:32 PM
I remember Vic calling at Detroit---long time ago.

cj
12-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Don't think Churchill runs during the Oaklawn meet...just saying!

bks
12-08-2015, 10:38 PM
"The more they asked, the more he gave!"

bks
12-08-2015, 10:41 PM
"The more they asked, the more he gave!"

"gaining inches"

Oaklawn John
12-09-2015, 10:05 AM
I'll miss Frank at Oaklawn. Popular with the fans, quality race caller and a very nice guy.

But now, Oaklawn is under the gun - who do you get at the last minute? Do you go for a name, like Travis Stone? Would Vic be willing to forego some basketball refereeing to come out here (he would be welcome in my book!). Maybe some up and comer? Or do you go local with a guy like Rolly Hoyt (who was Terry Wallace's fill-in during his last couple of years) who's now working as a TV news producer in Little Rock?

Despite the screen name, I have no inside contacts with the track, just a fan doing some speculating.

Rookies
12-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the good times, Trevor. If you ever get bored in retirement please write a book about your experiences.

Part 1: "And aaaaaaaaaaway they go!"
it ...

EVERY caller needs a signature opening. It's equivalent to calling a HR in MLB.

I liked it! :ThmbUp:

Tall One
12-09-2015, 10:50 AM
"And he's absolutely flying on the outside.."

As a youngster, I can remember watching Thoroughbred Week on Saturday mornings and hearing his race call.

I like Mirrowman's style, and wish him nothing but the best, but I'll miss Mr. Denman at SA for sure.

Ray
12-09-2015, 11:08 AM
I'll miss Trevor but at least we'll get a fresh Trevor for Del Mar, this new schedule had to become a grind for him. To me Frank is way overrated I don't see him being in the top ten, ive never understood how he climbed the ranks he is a C- announcer and giving SA gig to him would be a huge mistake... Kurt Becker is a fine caller but I think he is tied up with NASCAR which he loves, I don't think Vic has a good relationship with Stronach or racing in general right now,(Perhaps Oaklawn if there is Mutual interest) Collmus is NOT leaving Gulf/NYRA gig he is the voice of the east coast now. I like Dave Rodman a lot and he already has ties with Stronach but I don't think he's getting it. Matt Dinerman (sp?) is not nearly polished enough for a big time gig yet, Travis Stone is boring & his voice sounds fake to me. My hope is Michael Wrona who has paid his dues, he has had to find ways To make those terrible GG races interesting,he's an amazing caller, witty and very likable . Hes my clear choice to get the gig.

dilanesp
12-09-2015, 03:13 PM

Now this pisses me off. I NEVER said the NFL is "failing". Not once.

I DID say that a smaller percentage of the population watches NFL games now than in the 1970's and 1980's. And that's true. I posted specific television ratings to prove it.

But the NFL makes a busload of money from the smaller segment of people.

Seriously, it's really uncool to go back to an earlier post, and then completely mischaracterize it, in order to trash another poster. Don't do it.

dilanesp
12-09-2015, 03:16 PM
I remember Vic calling at Detroit---long time ago.

So do I! He called Waquoit-- a very nice gray horse who I think wired a field in a Grade I in New York once at a mile and a half-- winning the Michigan Mile. (Fun fact, the Michigan Mile was 9 furlongs.)

cj
12-09-2015, 03:48 PM
So do I! He called Waquoit-- a very nice gray horse who I think wired a field in a Grade I in New York once at a mile and a half-- winning the Michigan Mile. (Fun fact, the Michigan Mile was 9 furlongs.)

I know he beat Broad Brush in the Mass Cap one year, still ticked about it!

Looked it up, he won a lot of nice races:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waquoit

dilanesp
12-09-2015, 04:52 PM
I know he beat Broad Brush in the Mass Cap one year, still ticked about it!

Looked it up, he won a lot of nice races:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waquoit

I saw Broad Brush's greatest moment of glory, when he won the Santa Anita Handicap in a thrilling finish beating a great field. (And this is on topic to the thread-- that race was one of Trevor's great calls.)

I liked Broad Brush. His owners were the same family who owned Spectacular Bid.

Stillriledup
12-09-2015, 05:23 PM
I saw Broad Brush's greatest moment of glory, when he won the Santa Anita Handicap in a thrilling finish beating a great field. (And this is on topic to the thread-- that race was one of Trevor's great calls.)

I liked Broad Brush. His owners were the same family who owned Spectacular Bid.

'Fun fact' about Broad Brush, many years ago in the DRF they used to have symbols next to the names of 'superior mudders' and BB got the 'X' designation. (Vs the little clover) Broad Brush X :ThmbUp:

cj
12-09-2015, 05:27 PM
In what to this day may still be the biggest bet I've ever made in my life, I played a straight Broad Brush / Proud Debonair exacta in the Campbell at Pimlico. It was a four horse field, pretty sure the others were Little Bold John and a hopeless local horse Duxun Limited. I hit, but it only paid like $4.

dilanesp
12-09-2015, 09:55 PM
'Fun fact' about Broad Brush, many years ago in the DRF they used to have symbols next to the names of 'superior mudders' and BB got the 'X' designation. (Vs the little clover) Broad Brush X :ThmbUp:

The system, I believe, was * for a good mudder, X for an excellent mudder, and a circle with an X in it for a superior mudder.

In all my time at the track, I think I saw a circle-X horse once. It was like a "driving" workout-- another thing you can theoretically earn but never shows up in practice.

Stillriledup
12-09-2015, 09:57 PM
The system, I believe, was * for a good mudder, X for an excellent mudder, and a circle with an X in it for a superior mudder.

In all my time at the track, I think I saw a circle-X horse once. It was like a "driving" workout-- another thing you can theoretically earn but never shows up in practice.

I think that's right, the circled X was the best, there were so few I didn't remember that myself, good info.

BIGTKLO
12-09-2015, 09:59 PM
The 1987 Big Cap was a tremendous affair. The race featured Ferdinand, Snow Chief, Broad Brush and one of my all time favorites Bedside Promise. The race has a special place in my heart. I was 18 and my father was very sick. He had been battling lung cancer which by then was taking over his entire body. He showed tremendous strength as we ventured to Santa Anita from the Bay Area. It was a grueling drive for the both of us, but well worth it as we were treated to one of the greatest races I have ever witnessed in person. I believe Alysheba won the nightcap. My father passed away later that summer at way too young of an age. I will never forget that day as long as I live.

EMD4ME
12-09-2015, 10:13 PM
The 1987 Big Cap was a tremendous affair. The race featured Ferdinand, Snow Chief, Broad Brush and one of my all time favorites Bedside Promise. The race has a special place in my heart. I was 18 and my father was very sick. He had been battling lung cancer which by then was taking over his entire body. He showed tremendous strength as we ventured to Santa Anita from the Bay Area. It was a grueling drive for the both of us, but well worth it as we were treated to one of the greatest races I have ever witnessed in person. I believe Alysheba won the nightcap. My father passed away later that summer at way too young of an age. I will never forget that day as long as I live.

That is a warm despite bittersweet moment and I think I speak for others when I say: thank you for sharing. It's bonds like this that make us love the game and thank our dads for bringing us into this tumultuous game.

cj
12-09-2015, 11:23 PM
The 1987 Big Cap was a tremendous affair. The race featured Ferdinand, Snow Chief, Broad Brush and one of my all time favorites Bedside Promise. The race has a special place in my heart. I was 18 and my father was very sick. He had been battling lung cancer which by then was taking over his entire body. He showed tremendous strength as we ventured to Santa Anita from the Bay Area. It was a grueling drive for the both of us, but well worth it as we were treated to one of the greatest races I have ever witnessed in person. I believe Alysheba won the nightcap. My father passed away later that summer at way too young of an age. I will never forget that day as long as I live.'

My favorite race of all time. California seemed like another world when it came to racing in 1987, and for a Maryland horse to ship out and win the Big Cap was astounding to me back then.

I'm glad you have that memory with your Dad.

dilanesp
12-10-2015, 11:30 AM

Actually Alysheba lost the nightcap. I am on my mobile so i will tell the story later.

dilanesp
12-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Actually Alysheba lost the nightcap. I am on my mobile so i will tell the story later.

Here's the story. Alysheba had a great 2 year old year in 1986 but never won anything. He kept on finishing in the money in big stakes. He lost the Breeders' Futurity in a photo finish to a horse named Orono, then finished second in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile at Santa Anita to Capote. He finished up the year losing in a photo finish in the Hollywood Futurity to Temperate Sil.

So he was still eligible for a nonwinners of 2 allowance, which became something of a joke, despite having won over $350,000 in purses.

On Big Cap day, 1987, the entered him in the last race on the card, a nonwinners of 2 allowance. He was 1 to 5, a man against boys.

And...

He lost. Badly.

After the race, Van Berg took him to the vet and his entrapped epiglottis was discovered. He got surgery and became the Alysheba we all knew and loved. He finished first in the Blue Grass but was disqualified, so he entered the Derby still eligible for his nonwinners of 2 allowance. He then rattled off the Derby and the Preakness, lost the Belmont and the Haskell to Bet Twice, lost the Travers to Java Gold, won the Super Derby, and lost the Breeders' Cup Classic (and Horse of the Year) by a nose to Ferdinand. He ended up the champion 3 year old. Had an amazing 4 year old season and was Horse of the Year.

dilanesp
12-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Here's the 1987 Santa Anita Handicap and Trevor's great call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAEZ-QRAts8

BIGTKLO
12-10-2015, 03:14 PM
OK I knew he had run in the nightcap, thank you for correcting me.

picojim
12-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Well, looks like Oaklawn needs a track announcer now. :D

Peter Aiello is your new Oaklawn announcer

upthecreek
12-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Just heard on TVG Pete Aiello got the gig

Redhook206
12-11-2015, 03:49 PM
"If she wins this, she'll be a super horse"

My vote is for Vic!

no breathalyzer
12-11-2015, 04:42 PM

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: good for him. i like his calls very underrated announcer... sharp eye

Redbullsnation
12-12-2015, 01:18 AM

Good for him. Heard a bit of him on the YT AND when I went to Gulfstream
. He's pretty good

cj
12-12-2015, 09:09 PM
To the guy mchorseracecall, the one I keep deleting...just go away please. You'll be banned soon enough.

v j stauffer
12-12-2015, 09:11 PM
To the guy mchorseracecall, the one I keep deleting...just go away please. You'll be banned soon enough.

CJ. McHorse is a legend. Finally he seeped into your sight. Don't bother waiting. He's a whacko. FBI & TRPB knows all about him.

cj
12-12-2015, 09:13 PM
CJ. McHorse is a legend. Finally he seeped into your sight. Don't bother waiting. He's a whacko. FBI & TRPB knows all about him.

I don't have banning power, have to wait until PA checks in.

PaceAdvantage
12-12-2015, 10:04 PM
That was odd, even for this place... :lol:

Problem should be solved.

upthecreek
12-14-2015, 02:49 PM
https://twitter.com/NeverSettleTV/status/676483391714299905?s=09

upthecreek
12-14-2015, 03:03 PM
http://www.santaanita.com/press-releases/santa-anita-sets-primary-announcer-schedule-through-april-others-to-audition-throughout-season-to-replace-denman/#.Vm8e-OLKBhw.twitter

SuperPickle
12-15-2015, 09:56 AM
So there's two people and two jobs so one gets Golden Gate and one gets SA?

So Frank didn't leave Oaklawn for nothing at worst he gets Golden Gate which races like 9-10 months out of the year.

Anyone want to make a morning line?

Wrona 2-5
Frank even money?

HorsemenHeist
12-15-2015, 10:12 AM
If Stronach wants to keep both, he better hire Wrona for Santa Anita. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves GG if he gets passed over. Wrona has paid his dues long enough up here and is more than deserving of Santa Anita.

Redbullsnation
12-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Well...Frank and Mike and company splitting duties. Alright, then

dilanesp
12-15-2015, 10:47 PM
http://www.santaanita.com/press-releases/santa-anita-sets-primary-announcer-schedule-through-april-others-to-audition-throughout-season-to-replace-denman/#.Vm8e-OLKBhw.twitter

Interesting that they write Terry Gilligan out of their history (only four primary annnouncers, they say). He was there about the same amount of time as Chic Anderson was, and was a longtime Southern California racing voice.