PDA

View Full Version : they're going the wrong way

Rollingpk3
12-03-2015, 09:02 PM
woodbine to run 20+ races,mostly sprints, going clockwise on their turf course next year

horses4courses
12-03-2015, 09:09 PM
It's a wonder the horses don't just flat out refuse to race......... :rolleyes:
Anyone think they might?

Lemon Drop Husker
12-03-2015, 09:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwHYMdbsM

RXB
12-03-2015, 09:45 PM
It's a wonder the horses don't just flat out refuse to race......... :rolleyes:
Anyone think they might?

Is there some trait that renders North American horses incapable of running clockwise?

cj
12-03-2015, 09:57 PM
This is one of the dumber ideas I've heard in a long time.

Donttellmeshowme
12-03-2015, 10:19 PM
woodbine to run 20+ races,mostly sprints, going clockwise on their turf course next year

Stupid.....

Rollingpk3
12-03-2015, 10:22 PM
article stated it was to card more turf races for more full fields. they will be using that part of the course that only gets touched in the mile and a half and mile and a qtr races.

RXB
12-03-2015, 10:25 PM
I think it's a cool idea. Might only be a one-year thing as they're supposed to be working toward putting in a second grass course for 2017.

Rollingpk3
12-03-2015, 10:36 PM
funny they wont be moving the finish line for those races in 2016. the finish line wont be very far from the last bend.

098poi
12-03-2015, 10:52 PM
On a marginally related note this is one of the best scenes ever. Steve Martin and the late, GREAT John Candy. If someone knows how to embed link feel free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwHYMdbsM

OOPS I see this was already posted, sorry.

LottaKash
12-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Just off the top of my head, I would think that, horses being trained to, and used to going the normal way round the track for so long, and right from the get go of their racing careers, would have to use some of their muscles in a whole new way, which in turn may lead to some of them coming up sore due to the waking of the new and less used muscle groups...

I know horses in other countries make the journey here and are forced to race the course in the opposite direction, but I never hear of have heard what the outcome(s) may have been from making those transitions...

I would be curious to know more about that aspect...

chaz63
12-03-2015, 11:25 PM
This is one of the dumber ideas I've heard in a long time.
AMEN

Lemon Drop Husker
12-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Just off the top of my head, I would think that, horses being trained to, and used to going the normal way round the track for so long, and right from the get go of their racing careers, would have to use some of their muscles in a whole new way, which in turn may lead to some of them coming up sore due to the waking of the new and less used muscle groups...

I know horses in other countries make the journey here and are forced to race the course in the opposite direction, but I never hear of have heard what the outcome(s) may have been from making those transitions...

I would be curious to know more about that aspect...

Euro turf horses run the "other way" all the time.

They ship to the states and dominate turf racing in the states. Especially in the Breeders Cup.

I don't see that direction of course has all that big of an effect on a horse.

LottaKash
12-04-2015, 12:04 AM
LDH, I know about that as well...But the reason that I brought that up is based on an odd experience that had occurred when I was running track in HS...

For awhile I was the fastest guy on the track team at a number of different distances, and my rival hardly ever could beat me, as long as it was a good and fair start....But when he challenged me to race him at the longer distances which involved turns, the truth is, I could never beat him going the other way, and as a result, after a number of attempts at trying to beat him "going the other way", I was always a bit sore after running those wrong way races...

I suspect that it may be the same thing with the horses being conditioned to going a certain lifelong way, that they would encounter similar difficulties until the muscles finally got the message....

Without knowing for certain, I would venture a guess that those horses coming here to race and/or win, may have had some preps going the other way prior to shipping, to address that very issue....

Just as in Car-racing, going counterclockwise, the cars have their tire/chassis setups tuned to allow for the centrifugal/centripetal forces at work going in that one direction....Cars going the both right or left in a race, would also have a different setup to allow for both of those forces...

Just wondering...

macguy
12-04-2015, 12:22 AM
Maybe the question should be...
Will Woodbine horses get an opportunity to train in the opposite direction in the mornings?

Lemon Drop Husker
12-04-2015, 12:28 AM
Without knowing for certain, I would venture a guess that those horses coming here to race and/or win, may have had some preps going the other way prior to shipping, to address that very issue....

No.

They don't spend time "going the other way".

They are the best turf horses in the world. They finished 1/2 in the race that mattered.

All the while, going the other way.

Found/Golden Horn. Easy Exacta.

LottaKash
12-04-2015, 01:12 AM
No.

They are the best turf horses in the world. They finished 1/2 in the race that mattered.

LDH, thx for the update...Based on my own experience going the wrong way, I guessed wrong... :cool:

RXB
12-04-2015, 01:24 AM
No.

I don't know about Found, but Golden Horn won the Derby and the Irish Champion, both of which are lefthanded (counter-clockwise) races. So he did have experience in that regard.

Lemon Drop Husker
12-04-2015, 01:40 AM
I don't know about Found, but Golden Horn won the Derby and the Irish Champion, both of which are lefthanded (counter-clockwise) races. So he did have experience in that regard.

Found won the BC Turf while defeating the unbeatable Golden Horn.

appistappis
12-04-2015, 02:22 AM
maybe this will be a good thing.....woodbine will be so happy with this innovation that they might forget to jack up the takeouts on breeders day again.

RXB
12-04-2015, 02:33 AM
Found won the BC Turf while defeating the unbeatable Golden Horn.

I know who Found is. I meant that I couldn't remember if she had raced on a lefthanded course before shipping here, but checking her race record again I am reminded that she finished second to Golden Horn in the Irish Champion so she also had experience racing counter-clockwise.

gillenr
12-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Not all Euro racing is CCW.

gillenr
12-04-2015, 03:41 PM
CCW or CW.

WoxFan
12-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Why not try something different?
If it doesn't work, they can change the condition book in the season and cancel the remaining races.

With Woodbine's turf configuration, they can't get in any races shorter than 6f going CCW, it would be fantastic if these races included some sprints at 5 or 5.5f at CW.

biggestal99
12-06-2015, 08:05 AM
Its a good idea becuase they will be using the turf course fully.

Allan

chenoa
12-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Punters might try the "all" button in those first few races. :lol: :lol: