PDA

View Full Version : Shared Belief euthanized

WP1981
12-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Per Bruno on twitter. Vet assistant confirmed.

Looks like Colic. Loved that horse. It's a shame.

lamboguy
12-03-2015, 03:42 PM
that one really hurts, i feel for every one involved in that horse.

ebcorde
12-03-2015, 03:44 PM
that one really hurts, i feel for every one involved in that horse.

wow that sucks. that CT race was not worth it. what happened in the gate?

WP1981
12-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Multiple people saying he worked yesterday. That was really fast if true.

Kash$
12-03-2015, 03:53 PM
This part of the game f..ING sucks..

Stillriledup
12-03-2015, 03:54 PM
GGF twitter feed mentions he galloped yesterday.
With video attached
https://mobile.twitter.com/GGFracing?p=s

Stillriledup
12-03-2015, 03:56 PM
SB 12/2

q2qCQ5XtTgE

classhandicapper
12-03-2015, 03:57 PM
This is so tragic there are no words.

ebcorde
12-03-2015, 04:07 PM
SB 12/2

q2qCQ5XtTgE

makes no sense. a horse can check out like that?

castaway01
12-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Damn, that's just awful.

Tom
12-03-2015, 04:12 PM
That is terrible news.
Just sad.

biggestal99
12-03-2015, 04:13 PM
makes no sense. a horse can check out like that?

Swale--Belmont stakes winner one day; week later dead

really sorry to hear about SB.

would have given AP a run for his money in the Classic.

Allan

VeryOldMan
12-03-2015, 04:13 PM
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/shared-belief-succumbs-to-colic/

Terrible news.

Grits
12-03-2015, 04:14 PM
smh. NO. Just NO.

Ty for the video, SRU... I wanted so much for him to come back.

Rex Phinney
12-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Swale--Belmont stakes winner one day; week later dead

really sorry to hear about SB.

would have given AP a run for his money in the Classic.

Allan

Agreed, I watched this horse for the first time in the 2013 CashCall, what a goddamn rockstar he was...

v j stauffer
12-03-2015, 04:37 PM
:(

BIGTKLO
12-03-2015, 05:20 PM
NO GOOD REAL SAD

chaz63
12-03-2015, 05:38 PM
To say this is bad for the industry is probably a terrible understatement, for many reasons. RIP Buddy

EMD4ME
12-03-2015, 05:42 PM
What a PUNCH to the gut. I care for them all but when it's an extra special talent, it finds a way to hurt more.... :(

HOW???????? So quickly?????

raybo
12-03-2015, 06:17 PM
What a PUNCH to the gut. I care for them all but when it's an extra special talent, it finds a way to hurt more.... :(

HOW???????? So quickly?????

The latest reports I have found (BloodHorse) was that he was suspected of having a "colic issue" but tests performed at UC Davis suggested a "rupture". That would come closer to explaining the suddenness of his death, after having worked this morning. Unless colic has been present earlier and was just missed or ignored, such a sudden death from colic is probably not likely, or maybe even possible in such a short period of time since symptoms first appeared. Supposedly, he came back from this morning's work (unless the date was a typo - Dec 3rd was the date of the workout in the BloodHorse article) and broke out in a sweat and did not respond to initial medical treatment, before being transferred to US Davis, where tests were performed.

Hard to believe that the first symptom of colic happened this morning (if the date published is indeed accurate) and he died within a few hours. However, colic is a very broad term, and can include rupture. So, I suppose he could have suffered a colic episode that was severe enough to cause rupture, and sudden death.

In any event, his passing is tragic!

EMD4ME
12-03-2015, 06:52 PM
The latest reports I have found (BloodHorse) was that he was suspected of having a "colic issue" but tests performed at UC Davis suggested a "rupture". That would come closer to explaining the suddenness of his death, after having worked this morning. Unless colic has been present earlier and was just missed or ignored, such a sudden death from colic is probably not likely, or maybe even possible in such a short period of time since symptoms first appeared. Supposedly, he came back from this morning's work (unless the date was a typo - Dec 3rd was the date of the workout in the BloodHorse article) and broke out in a sweat and did not respond to initial medical treatment, before being transferred to US Davis, where tests were performed.

Hard to believe that the first symptom of colic happened this morning (if the date published is indeed accurate) and he died within a few hours. However, colic is a very broad term, and can include rupture. So, I suppose he could have suffered a colic episode that was severe enough to cause rupture, and sudden death.

In any event, his passing is tragic!

Extremely tragic :(

Thanks for the explanation/possibilities Raybo.

I'm afraid to ask....what ruptured?

NY BRED
12-03-2015, 06:55 PM
When AP appeared, he filled the void many of us experienced
After Shared Belief was placed on hold after the debacle
At Charles Town.

This loss really hurts as it appeared Shared Belief would be
Returning to the races.

Deepest Sympathy to Jim Rome ,hoping he stays in this
Game that obviously has major highs and terrible lows,

RIP SB

Mulerider
12-03-2015, 07:15 PM

Intestine, normally caused by a severe blockage. Or from a twist. I've had two horses colic. One survived; the other had to be euthanized. I hate colic as bad as I hate laminitis.

raybo
12-03-2015, 07:15 PM

I can only assume, intestines or stomach? Gas buildup in the intestines can distend the intestines and/or the stomach, to the point of either of the them tearing/rupturing? Also, what Mulerider mentioned, blockage and/or twisting.

Stillriledup
12-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Some tweets from Jim Rome on SBs passing.

Www.twitter.com/jimrome

horses4courses
12-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Some tweets from Jim Rome on SBs passing.

Www.twitter.com/jimrome

Thanks for sharing.
That is an owner who cares, and is great for the sport. :ThmbUp:

RIP Shared Belief

Enjoy them while you can.

pandy
12-03-2015, 08:28 PM
So sorry to hear this, my condolences to all of his owners and handlers. Outstanding competitor. Damn.

cutchemist42
12-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Anyone listen to his show? Did he talk about it?

jahura2
12-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Per Bruno on twitter. Vet assistant confirmed.

Looks like Colic. Loved that horse. It's a shame.

This just breaks my heart. They give so much to us and ask for so little. They run their hearts out for us. They are the truest reason I play the game.
God bless, Shared Belief.

TMQ
12-03-2015, 11:16 PM
The full statement from Jungle Racing reads as follows:

“Thoroughbred racing is a sport filled with the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Some of the most thrilling and surreal moments of our entire lives have occurred in this sport. Unfortunately, today we have suffered our most devastating. We have lost Shared Belief. He seemed to display signs of Colic this morning so our vets rushed in to treat him. They immediately sent him to UC Davis so he could get the best medical attention available, as quickly as possible. Emergency Colic surgery was performed, but doctors were unable to save him. We are still awaiting results of an autopsy. We are all absolutely devastated. Shared Belief was a once in a lifetime horse. A champion, fighter and unbelievable talent who impacted and changed all of our lives. The little horse that feared no one and could do anything. He absolutely loved his job and to compete and run. As heartbreaking as this is, we all consider ourselves so fortunate to have been a part of this amazing animal's life. He was a super horse from day one. He would end up winning 10 of 12 starts, including 5 G1's and an Eclipse Award. The Big Horse was a champion in every sense of the word. There will never be another like Shared Belief. Our hearts are broken. RIP, Champ.”

magwell
12-03-2015, 11:25 PM
This game will humble the strongest of people,"toughest game played outdoors"........this make me sick, we all feel their pain........:(

nijinski
12-03-2015, 11:40 PM
The sudden loss of Shared Belief is heartbreaking . My condolences to all the connections Going to miss him ! RIP Champ!

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2015, 12:44 AM

HOW???????? So quickly?????Welcome to the world of the horse and his fragile digestive system. It happens more than you think and more than it should.

Baron Star Gregg
12-04-2015, 12:59 AM
We all have lost one of the special ones. Rest in peace big horse.

nijinski
12-04-2015, 01:00 AM
The full statement from Jungle Racing reads as follows:

“Thoroughbred racing is a sport filled with the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Some of the most thrilling and surreal moments of our entire lives have occurred in this sport. Unfortunately, today we have suffered our most devastating. We have lost Shared Belief. He seemed to display signs of Colic this morning so our vets rushed in to treat him. They immediately sent him to UC Davis so he could get the best medical attention available, as quickly as possible. Emergency Colic surgery was performed, but doctors were unable to save him. We are still awaiting results of an autopsy. We are all absolutely devastated. Shared Belief was a once in a lifetime horse. A champion, fighter and unbelievable talent who impacted and changed all of our lives. The little horse that feared no one and could do anything. He absolutely loved his job and to compete and run. As heartbreaking as this is, we all consider ourselves so fortunate to have been a part of this amazing animal's life. He was a super horse from day one. He would end up winning 10 of 12 starts, including 5 G1's and an Eclipse Award. The Big Horse was a champion in every sense of the word. There will never be another like Shared Belief. Our hearts are broken. RIP, Champ.”
They did send him to the best experts and professionals . My heart is heavy for all involved . At this point they had to sprare him from anymore excruciating pain .and suffering .💔💔💔

Mulerider
12-04-2015, 11:43 AM
They did send him to the best experts and professionals . My heart is heavy for all involved . At this point they had to sprare him from anymore excruciating pain .and suffering .💔💔💔

Yes, I think they had no choice. Humane decision.

I have little patience and no use for pleasure horse owners who turn their animals out to pasture in the spring and summer yet fail to check on them daily. Death by colic is excruciating for a horse. If you've ever seen one on the ground in the throes of it, you'll be haunted by the sight forever.

cj
12-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Really sad to hear this. From a racing perspective, he was special. This is what his career looked like in TimeformUS Speed Figures from our charts before his last start in the Charles Town Classic.

thespaah
12-04-2015, 11:16 PM
DAMMIT......This kind of unfortunate event is the toughest part of being a fan of this sport.
RIP Champ...

MutuelClerk
12-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Wow. Like everyone else it is sad when we lose a star in this industry so unexpectedly. Really enjoyed watching him race. This really sucks.

iceknight
12-05-2015, 02:30 AM
I'm devastated. RIP champ. this is so hard. We had some great moments this year in the sport, and now this punch to the stomach??
Farewell dear one.

bks
12-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Can't really express the sadness.

ultracapper
12-05-2015, 09:03 PM
You need thick skin in this game, as a connection, fan or gambler.

Great horse. Smith did him right in West Virginia, for whatever that's worth now.