PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Wednesday, December 2

Teach
12-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Race One:

:2: Brimstone appears to be “the stickout” (could go even-money, or less) in this New York State-bred MSW route. On what appears to be a rainy day in South Ozone Park, Queens, New York, this Speightstown-bred gelding should benefit from any moisture on the racetrack. Second in his last against similar. Top-notch jockey in Jose Ortiz for trainer David Donk. If this gelding can avoid any mishaps (‘stumbled bad…” DRF) as he did in his last… Should not run into any “traffic” problems, today. Short field. Others: :4: , :5: , :1:

Race Two:

:3: More Than Rainbows should benefit from any moisture on the racing surface. This Dixieland Band-bred filly threw in “a clunker” in her last against better; she’s now in – at this level – with the kind she can compete with. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this filly head straight out for the lead. Trainer Gary Sciacca’s having a good meet; yet, one note of caution: no winners in nine “double-drop” situations. Another caveat: this filly does break from the inside; that may possibly be a disadvantageous place to be if a track bias becomes evident. Others: :4: , :8: , :7:

Race Three:

:14: Wild Image is my pick. I admit a preference. A bias. I like Wild Again-bred horses (in this case, a mare) in wet-track situations. A solid rider in Junior Alvarado. A Hall-of-Fame trainer, Bill Mott. This mare was second against weaker in her last. I don’t see the class hike as that much of a concern. The overriding factor is this mare’s ability to run on a wet track. This lightly-raced 5 year-old does add Lasix. My only concern is that the mare has been away from the races for many moons. Others: :6: , :7: , :10:

Race Four:

:7: Mississippi Duel is dropping 2+ classes. This lightly-raced Bernstein-bred horse is two for four on a wet track. This 6 year-old has certainly faced better. Trainer Danny Gargan is 5 for 8 (a limited sample) when dropping his charges 2+ claiming classifications. Trainer Gargan does very well with claiming races. Aaron Gryder is in the irons. Others: :2: , :5: , :1:

Race Five:

:11: Runner Runner, a 3 year-old Irish-bred filly, is my pick in this route that is now being run on the main. What immediately catches my attention is this filly’s wet-track breeding. Excellent! Add to the equation the services of jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. and trainer Chad Brown, and you have a distaffer with a distinct chance of winning. Trainer Brown – he does very well with allowance races – is adding blinkers. Others: :7: , :6: , :2:

Race Six:

:1: Sunny Puzzle is my longshot bet on today’s card. The question: Will this Elusive Quality-bred colt go off at his morning line odds of 15-1? I tend to doubt it. This colt’s pedigree says he relishes the off going. The colt has hit the tote in all three of his wet-track tries. Angel Arroyo is in the irons for trainer Gary Sciacca. Others: :10: , :11: , :7:

Race Seven:

:1: Make Your Point is another longshot try. I like this filly’s connections: Irad Ortiz, Jr. and trainer Rudy Rodriguez. Ordinarily, I wouldn’t pick this filly – beaten by weaker; yet, on a wet track this filly’s pedigree stands out: Not for Love (Mr. Prospector). This filly should be charging home in the lane. My only concern: Will she run out of real estate? This is where the riding skills of Irad Ortiz, Jr. come into play. Irad must keep this filly close enough to come home under the line, first. Others: :7: , :8: , :6:

Race Eight:

:7: S’marvelous is my pick in this OC sprint. This Mike Maker-owned and trained gelding should relish the off-going; he’s one-for-one on a wet track. The slight cut-back from his last should also help. This gelding is ten for ten in hitting the board at this distance. One note of caution: I would have liked to have seen a published work since this gelding’s last race. Yet, I still believe that under these racing conditions, this gelding has a strong opportunity to get his picture taken. Others: :11: , :8: , :2:

Race Nine:

:9: Grace’s Joy is another longshot try in the finale, a maiden-claiming sprint for 2 year-old New York State-bred fillies. Why? Excuses. Excuses. Excuses. In her only other race, over a month ago, this filly broke awkwardly; then the rider lost his irons. In that last race, this filly was on the turf as a distinct longshot. Alas, a new day. On the main. A wet track, no less. An outside post to avoid trouble. Solid wet-track breeding, e,g. Catienus, etc. In addition, this filly had a recent-decent morning work. “Izzy” Rodriguez is in the irons for trainer Jim Ryerson. Others: :7: , :3: , :4: