PDA

View Full Version : Cloning of Racehorses Set To Begin

Dr Gonzo
11-24-2015, 08:44 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/12013158/China-cloning-factory-to-produce-cattle-racehorses-and-pets.html

nearco
11-26-2015, 12:58 AM
Nope, not set to begin. Can't race, can't be bred. No one's going to pay a quarter of a million for a pasture ornament.

Loads of horses have been cloned, mostly QHs and Showjumpers. But they, unlike a cloned TB racehorse, have some value.

tucker6
11-26-2015, 07:05 AM
Nope, not set to begin. Can't race, can't be bred. No one's going to pay a quarter of a million for a pasture ornament.

Loads of horses have been cloned, mostly QHs and Showjumpers. But they, unlike a cloned TB racehorse, have some value.
you don't think there are dozens of people out there with money who would pay to show their friends Secretariat or Man O' War running in the back 40? This has nothing to do with racing. This is all ego driven sales.

nearco
11-26-2015, 10:01 AM
you don't think there are dozens of people out there with money who would pay to show their friends Secretariat or Man O' War running in the back 40? This has nothing to do with racing. This is all ego driven sales.

Then why haven't they done it already?
Cloning horses has been around for a while. It's been what, 10 years or more, since Texas A&M cloned the first ones? There must be close to 100 cloned horses on the ground at this point, including clones of several Olympic medal winners.

clocker7
11-27-2015, 06:43 AM
I can envision some promoter willing to stage a hyped non-sanctioned race for clones of historical figures. With the cooperation of some of those that control certain DNA remains.

Like I wouldn't watch out of principle? :)

I wonder whose DNA could be gotten ...

PaceAdvantage
11-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Then why haven't they done it already?Who says they haven't? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Redbullsnation
11-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Can we clone Vic as well??

classhandicapper
11-30-2015, 03:02 PM
They race cloned mules. Look up Lil Sarah, clone of Sarah Nelson. They actually raced against each other. Under the pedigree info it says "unknown". Even worse, I bet a few of the races. :lol:

Tom
11-30-2015, 03:23 PM
That would be cool to have 20 clones of Secretariat run in the Derby, each trained by a different trainer.

OR the Belmont....they are moving like tremendous machines....tremendous synchronized machines.