PDA

View Full Version : CA racing crop rule

sharkie187
11-23-2015, 04:12 PM
So reading the stewart notes on the CHRB website for Los Al, GGF, and Del Mar, I see a lot more jockeys getting fined for hitting their horse more then three times in a row before getting a respone from the horse. I really think this is an unfair rule for both the bettors and the jocks.
For the jocks, riding is the livelihood for them. Most don't make much on an unplaced finish and still have to pay agent fres and taxes and then they get hit with a $200 fine! It might not be worth to be a jock in CA (just my opinion).

From a bettor point of view, if a jock has a good rythmn going and needs an extra hits to generate a response and get a better placing, why should they be limited? I can't tell you how many times I've seen Martin Garcia on a horse having a good rythmn going with the crop and then just stop. Or watching the quarters at Los Al and the jocks just stop using the crop altogether. Whose idea was it to come up with rule and what sense does it make limiting a jock's use of the crop!?

Stillriledup
11-23-2015, 04:20 PM
The theory behind it is that if you hit a horse once, twice, three times a lady, either the horse responds or he/she doesn't. If the horse responds and is giving it's all, there's no need for more whip strikes. If the horse is not responding, there's also no need for more strikes.

I guess they want a jock to wait to see if there's a response. the fines are a pittance compared to what a jock might win, so it's worth the fine to some to keep hitting.

theiman
11-23-2015, 05:15 PM
You can't hit a horse more than 3 times in a row or you get fined.

However, if you stand up before the wire, ala Kent Desormeaux, you dont get fined. :bang: :bang: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Stillriledup
11-23-2015, 05:27 PM
You can't hit a horse more than 3 times in a row or you get fined.

However, if you stand up before the wire, ala Kent Desormeaux, you dont get fined. :bang: :bang: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Gamblers don't have a 'voice' like PETA and aren't screaming to shut the sport down, until that happens, racing jurisdictions won't ever put the bettors first and sanction jocks w massive fines and punishments.

I bet if Kent got a 50k fine and a 1 year suspension, he would figure out ways to stand up 2 seconds later.

SandyW
11-23-2015, 06:19 PM
You can hit a horse a thousand times with the crops that are used today and not hurt a horse one bit, it is the noise that spurs the horse on.
This may be the all time stupidest rule that ever was voted on by the CHRB.

sammy the sage
11-23-2015, 06:50 PM
You can hit a horse a thousand times with the crops that are used today and not hurt a horse one bit, it is the noise that spurs the horse on.
This may be the all time stupidest rule that ever was voted on by the CHRB.

HHHHmmmmmmmmmm....let me hit you a 1k times with SAID crop...I'll pay you a thousand $$$....only IF I get to a thousand....if NOT...then you pay me a $1 for every one you took til you cried stop if less than a 1k...

ReplayRandall
11-23-2015, 07:06 PM
You can hit a horse a thousand times with the crops that are used today and not hurt a horse one bit.

Really?? May 8, 2015---> Victor Espinoza Reportedly Fined For Excessive Use of Whip:

http://sdhorserace.com/2015/05/08/espinoza-reportedly-fined-for-excessive-use-of-whip/

SandyW
11-23-2015, 07:15 PM
This rule will be gone by years end, and you can quote me on this.
You could not break the skin on a tomato with the whips that are used today.

Rex Phinney
11-23-2015, 08:02 PM

So we can get rid of them and it shouldn't be any big deal right?

The rule isn't going anywhere and it's a good one.

Gary Stevens won a $5,000,000 race without using the whip, the whip is a crutch for either a lazy horse or a lazy jockey.

letswastemoney
11-23-2015, 08:27 PM
I like the rule. I see jockeys whipping endlessly on horses running last so many times, that I wonder what they're thinking. This at least makes jockeys think about what they're doing.

cbp
11-23-2015, 08:50 PM
I don't like the whip. I especially don't like the whip after stupid rides. Let's developed a reciprocal whip: jock whips the horse, jock gets an electric jolt. It's only fair.

sharkie187
11-24-2015, 03:06 PM
I like the rule. I see jockeys whipping endlessly on horses running last so many times, that I wonder what they're thinking. This at least makes jockeys think about what they're doing.

Thats what I'm trying to get at...a jock should be focusing on winning the race esp if he/she is ina position to do so, but he/she might lose focus trying to figure out how many times they've used the whip. The CHRB rule use to be, three hits then switch side and that was just as bad.

v j stauffer
11-24-2015, 05:49 PM

The rule will not be gone by years end. In fact it is now being enforced more stringently than ever before.

This is a result of many incarnations of the wording of the rule. And many discussions with the jockeys and jockey's guild leaders where hours of discussion have arrived everybody at this point.

Having been present at several of those meetings I will tell you the jockey's are overwhelmingly in favor of this rule.

They too understand that in 2015 perception is reality and the appearance of punishing a horse is much worse than adapting to changes that are easy to implement.

The stewards have been issuing warnings for these violations for well over a year.

Those who are being fined now are fully capable of staying within the limits of the rule. Those who choose not to understand the consequences.

As for the new whips. While much better and not nearly as harsh. They still are whips and if improperly or over used can cause welts and punish horses that don't deserve it.

Rex Phinney
11-25-2015, 10:35 PM
I'd add that the jocks no longer have to answer to second guessing owners who ant to know why the jock didn't whip the horse 50 times. All while the jock is thinking "maybe your horse just didn't have it today"