PDA

View Full Version : This is "FOOTBALL"?

thaskalos
11-23-2015, 03:09 AM
The 32-yard field goal which ended the Sunday Night game between the Bengals and the Cardinals would have been a 47 yard attempt...were it not for an "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty called against Cincinnati defensive tackle Domata Peko.

What was his transgression...you ask?

He committed the unspeakable act of screaming out defensive signals...in an attempt to confuse the Arizona offense, as they were trying to spike the ball to set up the kick.

And here I thought that I had seen all the ridiculous referee decisions which are ruining this game. :ThmbDown:

Valuist
11-23-2015, 09:56 AM
The Bengals had 4 or 5 personal fouls/unsportsmanlike penalties in the game. Despite that, their bettors got the cash.

Tall One
11-23-2015, 10:10 AM
Next thing ya know, they'll be throwing flags on the o-linemen for farting too loud, and d-linemen for just looking at the QB wrong.

burnsy
11-23-2015, 10:21 AM
I partially agree with you. Its become so ridiculous that the QB might as well heave the ball in desperation............just to get the call. The commentators even admit it. But in this case I think Peko was saying whatever Palmer says for a hike of the ball. That's why it got called, he was pulling a "bush" move to get Cardinals to move prematurely and that is illegal. I don't think the refs heard "defensive signals" for an obvious spike play.

The calls have been too numerous for football though and I actually think that some close games have been slowed down at the end through clock manipulation. Teams never learn though and play this ticky, tacky soft defense at the end. Cincy deserved to lose with that last defensive effort, Arizona was moving at will in a matter of seconds. Arizona got burned too but at least they were sending the house and applying pressure. They always blame Dalton but that was terrible defense at the end.

Canarsie
11-23-2015, 10:46 AM
The 32-yard field goal which ended the Sunday Night game between the Bengals and the Cardinals would have been a 47 yard attempt...were it not for an "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalty called against Cincinnati defensive tackle Domata Peko.

What was his transgression...you ask?

He committed the unspeakable act of screaming out defensive signals...in an attempt to confuse the Arizona offense, as they were trying to spike the ball to set up the kick.

And here I thought that I had seen all the ridiculous referee decisions which are ruining this game. :ThmbDown:

This has happened before even though it's not even a yearly thing occurring. Players must know the rules but to be fair Cris Collinsworth thought it was a five yarder.

Here's a discussion and article of the exact subject from three years ago. It happened at least twice that year.

Officiating: Disconcerting Signals

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2012/officiating-disconcerting-signals

You can download the entire NFL rule book from here:

https://uaasnfl.blob.core.windows.net/live/1807/2015_nfl_rule_book_final.pdf

If you want to see the web page first (understandable) this is the entire rule book online with the option to download it.

woodbinepmi
11-23-2015, 05:21 PM
I am having difficulty watching games other than my team (Chiefs) play because of all the flags. It is unwatchable right now.

Stillriledup
11-23-2015, 05:31 PM
There should never be a penalty that we can't actually see from our couch.

kingfin66
11-23-2015, 09:33 PM
That was actually a huge call not only because of the 15-yards that Arizona got, but also because of the fact that Arizona had no timeouts left. The announcers failed to note this, but since Arizona had no timeouts, a false start penalty would have resulted in a 10-second run off and the end of regulation.

ReplayRandall
11-23-2015, 11:17 PM
That was actually a huge call not only because of the 15-yards that Arizona got, but also because of the fact that Arizona had no timeouts left. The announcers failed to note this, but since Arizona had no timeouts, a false start penalty would have resulted in a 10-second run off and the end of regulation.

Hence, the officials were focused on the very thing that the Bengal defense may try to induce, calling out phony signal calls.....Great job by the refs.