PDA

View Full Version : horse racing via the Internet

Margaret Price
06-15-2004, 03:00 PM
I am a reporter working on a story about what appears to be the rising interest in betting on horse races. I would like to speak to someone, preferably in New York City (any of the 5 boroughs) or nearby area, who has recently bet on a horse race at a track, off-track, or best of all, via the Internet. If anyone can help me, please email me as soon as possible with a phone number where I can reach you. My email address is: price.margaret@worldnet.att.net. Thank you very much. M. Price

GameTheory
06-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Gee, anyone like that around here?

JustRalph
06-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory
Gee, anyone like that around here?

Margaret.....you have hit the jackpot! Stand by to be very busy.........there are tons of people in here. And some in your area..........if you lifted the NY requirement you would fill your email box so fast........your head would spin...........

chickenhead
06-15-2004, 03:15 PM
This board is full of degenerates, I wouldn't trust a word they say.

tdthomas
06-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Is there a rising interest in betting on horse races? That would be a reversal of the general dumbing down trend of scratch off lottery tickets and one-armed bandits.

dav4463
06-15-2004, 03:50 PM
I've noticed an extremely large number of young people at Lone Star Park. The best thing is the majority of them actually appear to be handicapping their own races...I actually see racing forms and internet printouts in their hands. I don't know if it is like that elsewhere, but Lone Star seems to draw a number of young fans.

Thomason
06-15-2004, 04:09 PM
At the spring meet, Keeneland was packed. I've been attending since 1974 and it was the most crowded that I have ever seen. Hopefully, we are seeing an upward trend.

formula_2002
06-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Margaret Price
I am a reporter working on a story .....

Only if you work for the NY Times...

schweitz
06-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by dav4463
I've noticed an extremely large number of young people at Lone Star Park. The best thing is the majority of them actually appear to be handicapping their own races...I actually see racing forms and internet printouts in their hands. I don't know if it is like that elsewhere, but Lone Star seems to draw a number of young fans.

Maybe those concerts actually work.

BillW
06-15-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by schweitz
Maybe those concerts actually work.

The handle sure has been Stronached ... something is working :eek:

Richard
06-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Maggie,
Dont just stop with the story.Your being an obvious civilizing influence is in much need if not demand by we degenerate gamblers.Please join us regularly but dont let us change you.

Tom
06-15-2004, 09:21 PM
They let us BET on the races?!?!?!
Yikes! :eek:

Light
06-16-2004, 12:35 AM
MP

The reason there seemingly is a rising interest in horse racing is because there allways is one around this time. It's called the Triple crown and a horse just missed being the first horse in 25 years to accomplish that feat.

I'll tell you something else,In October there is a rising interest in Baseball.In June it's Basketball,May it's Horseracing,and in January it's Football. In April there is a strange obssession with bunnies and eggs and in December it's Santa Clause. Ho Ho Ho. Merry Christmas my oblivious reporter.

kenwoodallpromos
06-16-2004, 02:10 AM
Reason racing is on the rise- horseracing is the most honest sport! No Balco clients!
To research how handicapping affects the capper, se Tom's avatar.
Winning bettors are the modern day robin hoods, as we are always legally stealing from loser millionaires.
if you want to know who the bad guys in racing are, here is a hint: jesse James raced a string of thoroughbreds and his killer Bob Ford was his jockey (he got p.o.'ed when he got to heavy and his brother Chrles took over all his mounts).

JustRalph
06-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
Reason racing is on the rise- horseracing is the most honest sport! No Balco clients!

Ken..........are you trying out for last comic standing? You made me laugh..........

cj
06-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos

I wouldn't be so sure about that, I'd love to get a peak inside Jeff Mullin's PDA!

andicap
06-16-2004, 12:23 PM
If my Google search is accurate, Ms. Price writes for the Long Island-based daily Newsday.
I emailed her last night -- awaiting a reply of some sort.
Would be happy to help her with the article.....

JackS
06-16-2004, 12:29 PM
I think horses and racing is a lot more honest than Wall St. If racing had to go through criminal revelations we've come to expect from these brokers we trust our money with, there would be no more racing. Invest less in the market and more at the track. Win or lose, theres no-one to blame except yourself.

kenwoodallpromos
06-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Good! Everyone is showing her racing fans are fun!

Kappa
06-16-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by andicap
If my Google search is accurate, Ms. Price writes for the Long Island-based daily Newsday.
I emailed her last night -- awaiting a reply of some sort.
Would be happy to help her with the article.....

Gee... She must know Ray Romero. He is a sports columnist at Newsday :D

kenwoodallpromos
06-17-2004, 12:48 AM
Frank James was running a store in Louisiana at that time, and Jesse had a string of race horses

BetHorses!
06-17-2004, 01:10 AM
I don't talk to Reporters
they are like one notch below stool pigeons

Hosshead
06-17-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by BetHorses!
I don't talk to Reporters
they are like one notch below stool pigeons
And
It doesn't take much for a dame to open yous guys up, does it?
'Marge' makes One Post, and everybody's spillin' their guts all over the front page. Good thing she didn't offer yous a bottle a booze. Go ahead, sing like a canary. But remember what's at the bottom of the bird cage. - Newspaper ! :p

andicap
06-17-2004, 07:24 AM
Still no call.

If we don't talk to reporters how will racing get any positive publicity?

BIG RED
06-17-2004, 09:43 AM
She didn't mention she was going to be positive, actually, she didn't say what she was going to write about at all. Walk softly

BillW
06-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by BIG RED
She didn't mention she was going to be positive, actually, she didn't say what she was going to write about at all. Walk softly

Maybe she wanted to write about the handicappers weight issue :eek:

kenwoodallpromos
06-17-2004, 02:52 PM
She originally asked about the increase in wagering. As soon as she read "offshore" she left.
Shge will probably write about all the new bettors spending their money out of the USA.

andicap
06-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Never called. Wonder why. Maybe New Rochelle is too far from Long Island (both are NYC suburbs but one is east and the other is north.)

Can't wait to see the story --

Hosshead
06-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Maybe she is really Vet Scratch! No, that can't be right.
She (VS) was really a he. And she (Marge) is really a she.
Think I'll pour a tall one, and figure this out.

BillW
06-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Hosshead
Maybe she is really Vet Scratch! No, that can't be right.
She (VS) was really a he. And she (Marge) is really a she.
Think I'll pour a tall one, and figure this out.

Hmmm, sounds like an old Lou Reed song. :cool:

JustRalph
06-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by BillW
Hmmm, sounds like an old Lou Reed song. :cool:

And the colored girls sing
Doot, doo doot, doo doot, doo doot doo doot
Doot, doo doot, doo doot, doo doot doo doot

http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/dre400/e422/e422177pe98.jpg

nomadpat
06-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Jacks,

Much agreed the races are more honest than Wall Street! I'm glad to see someone else share my opinion on that.
And on top of that, I bet the majority of those execs who think they know something about running a corporation would get their butts kicked at the track and start acting like those who ask "Whodoyalike?" :D

NoDayJob
06-17-2004, 11:03 PM
After reading these caustic comments you dare to wonder why she never replied? She's no "dummie".

NDJ

PaceAdvantage
06-18-2004, 12:06 AM
yes, it's a jungle out here....

OR, maybe it's that she never had the intention of debating in an open forum, thus the request for an e-mail and phone number...

andicap
06-18-2004, 07:08 AM
Debate?
Why would she want to debate? She is researching an article! I commend her for finding this forum, but why hasn't she replied to my email?

She never indicated she wanted to take part in an online discussion.

kgonzales
07-08-2004, 08:30 AM
I'm posting a link here.
http://www.nydailynews.com/07-06-2004/business/story/209271p-180380c.html

Yes that's me, KG. I thought the picture looked good for being staged. I wasn't even betting that day. Just met the photog there on my lunch break. I mean I never use that lame little OTB program. I just bought it as a prop. I even had to borrow the photog's pen.
Not crazy about the article, in that there is no distinction made between horse racing and other forms of gambling. That's mainly the point I was trying to make when the reporter interviewed me, but whatever. I realize that's not what the article was about. I guess I'll just have to write my own.

kg

Storm Cadet
07-08-2004, 09:05 AM
This dumb bunny only had to wait one more day...NY State Appeals Court ruled 1 day AFTER this article that VTL's are unconstitutional and that all proceeds must go to education and not horse racing...now we can definitley use her aticle for under the bird cage. She did one great job of researching gambling and VTL's in NY....NOT.

ranchwest
07-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Brooklyn's Kristian Gonzales of Brooklyn

Sheesh, she doesn't even have an Editor.

Tom
07-08-2004, 08:39 PM
KG,

First, congrats on being in the paper!
Second, when the page first came up, all I saw was a photo of a smiling cocktail waitress and I was thinking, Hmmmm????? :eek:

Then I scrolled down and "Whew!!":D

Anyways, either phot would make a great avatar!

Zman179
07-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Well KG, it stated in the article that you had said "Sometimes I feel like a degenerate".

And the picture shows you standing outside the OTB at 38th Street & 7th Avenue (the most notorious branch in all of New York).

Um, guess what....you ARE a degenerate.

kingfin66
07-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Zman179
Well KG, it stated in the article that you had said "Sometimes I feel like a degenerate".

And the picture shows you standing outside the OTB at 38th Street & 7th Avenue (the most notorious branch in all of New York).

Um, guess what....you ARE a degenerate.

If somebody said that to me I would take it as a supreme compliment. I feel honored to have sold you software!