PDA

View Full Version : Chip Kelly (FIRED)

Kash$
11-22-2015, 03:45 PM
lol

This is his roster.

ebcorde
11-22-2015, 04:06 PM
in Philly since Rich Kotite. Notice Lovey has Winston throwing sideline patterns, in the back of the end zone, less risk of an INT. Chip never does that

on Defense this Kiko Alonso guy is 1-5 when he starts.

The team constantly makes mistake every game, that's coaching. watch the Patriots they don't beat themselves. The Eagles do and the coach thinks it's on the Players not him.

upthecreek
11-22-2015, 05:32 PM
He's getting beat pretty bad on the Eagles post game show on the local Comcast network
Where's Lurie at on all this? Not a peep

horses4courses
11-22-2015, 05:44 PM
CK winds up at USC within the next few months

tucker6
11-22-2015, 06:13 PM
The odds are better than his team playing in SB 50.

Valuist
11-22-2015, 06:14 PM
My Philly Under 9.5 wins ticket looking real strong right now. I think the Lions will put the final nail in the coffin this next Thursday.

ManU918
11-22-2015, 07:22 PM
He's getting beat pretty bad on the Eagles post game show on the local Comcast network
Where's Lurie at on all this? Not a peep

What do you expect Lurie to say/do? He promoted Kelly in the off season to general manager. Surely he's not going to fire him right now if that's what you're expecting. Do I agree with that... Yes and No but its not going to happen. The only way Kelly is gone between now and the start of next season is if he leaves... Which also is not going to happen.

ManU918
11-22-2015, 07:26 PM
My Philly Under 9.5 wins ticket looking real strong right now. I think the Lions will put the final nail in the coffin this next Thursday.

If the Eagles win more than 2 games going forward this season i'll be shocked. Your ticket is golden and was a great call by you. I thought the stretch of games that are happening right now (Miami, Tampa and Detroit) would have secured them a minimum of 10 games prior to the season. I honestly thought they would be way better than they are. This team is in dire straits.

Valuist
11-22-2015, 08:05 PM
If the Eagles win more than 2 games going forward this season i'll be shocked. Your ticket is golden and was a great call by you. I thought the stretch of games that are happening right now (Miami, Tampa and Detroit) would have secured them a minimum of 10 games prior to the season. I honestly thought they would be way better than they are. This team is in dire straits.

Even though I had them under, there's been some puzzling results. On paper, they had one of the deepest running attacks in the league. The defense appeared to be upgraded. They had given up 110 pts in the first 6 games. Very solid but the D has played poorly the past 4 games. But obviously, they need an upgrade at QB and Bradford hasn't been the answer.

ManU918
11-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Even though I had them under, there's been some puzzling results. On paper, they had one of the deepest running attacks in the league. The defense appeared to be upgraded. They had given up 110 pts in the first 6 games. Very solid but the D has played poorly the past 4 games. But obviously, they need an upgrade at QB and Bradford hasn't been the answer.

I think there are three main questions moving forward:
1) Will Chip lose the locker room or has he already?
2) As you mentioned... Who is the QB gonna be? Kaepernick?
3) How can they acquire a deep threat?

Shemp Howard
11-22-2015, 08:27 PM
The "O" line is a joke and the play calling is right out of high school.

woodbinepmi
11-23-2015, 01:27 AM

LSU maybe looking too

upthecreek
11-23-2015, 05:27 AM
What do you expect Lurie to say/do? He promoted Kelly in the off season to general manager. Surely he's not going to fire him right now if that's what you're expecting. Do I agree with that... Yes and No but its not going to happen. The only way Kelly is gone between now and the start of next season is if he leaves... Which also is not going to happen.
If I spent the $ he spent & gave control of the team to this clown and got these results,I'd have plenty to say

upthecreek
11-23-2015, 05:29 AM

Some reports say he has already lost the locker room-big blowout on the field @ the end of the game between Sanchez/Sproules

Robert Goren
11-23-2015, 06:17 AM
It is not like the players he got rid of have been burning up the league. The roster was in bad need of a house cleaning. The offense line still needs a lot work. Most of the problems this years team can be traced to them. He will get another year, I think. Some college may step up and give him $10 million though and he would go back to college. The amazing thing is unlike some college coaches who left for the NFL, there has not been a hint of wrong doing at his old college team. I am sure that has not gone unnoticed among colleges looking for a new coach. Especially among schools whose programs have devastated by sanctions brought on by a long gone coach.
The Chip Kelly way is not only the hurry up offense, but also involves a life style he wants from his players. It involves a lot of cutting edge sports science stuff. The players whom he sent packing, for most part, did not buy into that. The question is " Is there enough good players in the NFL who will in order to form a Super Bowl team?"

Robert Goren
11-23-2015, 06:22 AM
It is highly unlikely that Kelly would want anything to do with a player like Kaepernick. Kaepernick is the kind of player that Kelly has been getting rid of.

Robert Fischer
11-23-2015, 06:37 AM
Kelly stinks.

He's a phoney.

He's giving the real geeks a bad name.

Some of his roster moves have been really dumb (and not necessarily the ones that were publicized). Getting rid of some of the guys they got rid of is fine, but then you don't go and spend money on a running back, no matter how creative the contract.

He's either nowhere near as bright as his image claims, or he's got no backbone/balls and compromises against geek-football when under a little pressure.

He also visually appears to be ill-suited to the pressure.

ManU918
11-23-2015, 07:17 AM
If I spent the $ he spent & gave control of the team to this clown and got these results,I'd have plenty to say

That's you not Jeffrey. Everyone has a different way of handling things. Lurie bought the team in 1994... How many times in 21 years has he spoken to the press about the state of his team during a season?

ManU918
11-23-2015, 07:21 AM
Some reports say he has already lost the locker room-big blowout on the field @ the end of the game between Sanchez/Sproules

Sanchez talked about why him and Sproles were arguing. Sanchez thought Sproles should have continued running the screen route instead of cutting it short. That has nothing to do with losing the locker room.

ManU918
11-23-2015, 07:24 AM

No he wont. You ask the odds... I'll give you 5-1 up to $1000 (Meaning if you bet $1000 and win i'll send you $5,000... if you lose you send me $1000).

Tall One
11-23-2015, 10:09 AM
LSU maybe looking too

LSU is a mess, and don't know if CK would fit in down there. Boosters getting ready to run Miles off, and dont care about the buyout. Jimbo Fisher is another name being floated, but I think he's happy in Tallahassee.

upthecreek
11-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Sanchez talked about why him and Sproles were arguing. Sanchez thought Sproles should have continued running the screen route instead of cutting it short. That has nothing to do with losing the locker room.

It doesnt? I guess the guys on Comcast dont know what theyre talking about either They said that shows dissension on the team and in the locker room, and they have no confidence in the coaching staff

upthecreek
11-23-2015, 10:26 AM
That's you not Jeffrey. Everyone has a different way of handling things. Lurie bought the team in 1994... How many times in 21 years has he spoken to the press about the state of his team during a season?

Well maybe its about time At least apologize to the fans for the product they are putting out or give Chip one of the phony boost of confidence press conferences where he says"Im behind Chip 100%"

Im happy I hate the Eagles and their fans

burnsy
11-23-2015, 10:44 AM
How much has to be said? Can it get any worse? They lost to Miami.....at home. Then they lost to Tampa Bay.....at home, giving up 45. Miami is kind of a pathetic team to boot and Tampa is only a little better.

You can argue 9 ways till Sunday....they are a mess. But who is surprised? They traded players that were good for "yes men" that basically stink and were rejects from other teams with the exception of their running back. He's probably longing for Dallas right now. Problem is, the guy they gave up on runs and catches like no other in the league............If he was the problem, you coulda fooled me.......because these jokers can't even get a first down sometimes.....and the "great" defensive guys they got in return......give up 45 points to a so, so team with a rook QB. Its pretty much every man for himself on this team.......at this point. He may be a great coach, he's one of the worst GM's in the history of the NFL. and they let him do this to the Eagles...... :lol:

NJ Stinks
11-23-2015, 11:27 AM

I root against the guy (Kelly) because he got rid of some great players that I liked to watch. And I get the distinct feeling that Kelly thinks he's so wonderful that he can win because he's Chip Kelly and nobody else is. :rolleyes:

I root against the Eagles because I can't stand watching the Philadelphia stations publicizing all things Eagles 365 days a year. Do they really think people are that stupid?

As for the fans, if you refer to the Eagles as "we" then I'm definitely hoping you suffer this and every year. Because if you think your E-A-G-L-E-S care about anything but you putting more money in T-H-E-I-R pockets, "we've" got a problem.

Robert Goren
11-23-2015, 11:37 AM
How much has to be said? Can it get any worse? They lost to Miami.....at home. Then they lost to Tampa Bay.....at home, giving up 45. Miami is kind of a pathetic team to boot and Tampa is only a little better.

You can argue 9 ways till Sunday....they are a mess. But who is surprised? They traded players that were good for "yes men" that basically stink and were rejects from other teams with the exception of their running back. He's probably longing for Dallas right now. Problem is, the guy they gave up on runs and catches like no other in the league............If he was the problem, you coulda fooled me.......because these jokers can't even get a first down sometimes.....and the "great" defensive guys they got in return......give up 45 points to a so, so team with a rook QB. Its pretty much every man for himself on this team.......at this point. He may be a great coach, he's one of the worst GM's in the history of the NFL. and they let him do this to the Eagles...... :lol:So, which one of those broken down players Kelly's gotten rid of do you want back? The RB that you like so much is game time decision every week. Maclin is the only player Kelly lost that is worth darn any more. And KC way over paid for him. 11 million a year for a guy who caught 85 passes last year. He caught 48 in 9 games this year. That is crazy even in todays NFL. Murray is getting 8 million by comparison.

upthecreek
11-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Eagles' effort comes into question - Inquirer
"Well, when you see DeMarco sliding before getting hit, you tell me. Was that giving full effort?" said an Eagles player who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "You see that [stuff], and it makes you wonder." Where there is one, there are surely others. Other Eagles who bust it every practice and every game who can't help but be bothered when a teammate so easily gives himself up and other Eagles who, for whatever the reason, have started to check out

ManU918
11-23-2015, 03:49 PM
It doesnt? I guess the guys on Comcast dont know what theyre talking about either They said that shows dissension on the team and in the locker room, and they have no confidence in the coaching staff

I would say the Comcast guys know as much about whats going on in the locker room as anyone else does. They aren't in the locker room and neither are we. Just because two players are having an argument doesn't mean the coach has lost the locker. It means they have a disagreement. Am I saying Chip hasn't lost the locker? No. I'm saying we cant base it on one play where the QB thinks the RB stopped the route a few yards short.

ManU918
11-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Well maybe its about time At least apologize to the fans for the product they are putting out or give Chip one of the phony boost of confidence press conferences where he says"Im behind Chip 100%"

Lurie never has and never will do either of those things. And for someone who "hates the Eagles and their fans" you sure do pay close attention to the team.

horses4courses
11-23-2015, 03:55 PM
No he wont. You ask the odds... I'll give you 5-1 up to $1000 (Meaning if you bet $1000 and win i'll send you $5,000... if you lose you send me $1000).

Those odds sound about right.

Strange, though.
I don't recall ever stating that I wanted to bet on it.

proximity
11-23-2015, 10:12 PM
I would say the Comcast guys know as much about whats going on in the locker room as anyone else does. They aren't in the locker room and neither are we. .

not a guy who's gonna ruffle a lot of feathers but i believe the gunner is pretty clued in and could be passing info along to others....

upthecreek
11-24-2015, 06:21 AM
Lurie never has and never will do either of those things. And for someone who "hates the Eagles and their fans" you sure do pay close attention to the team.
You're right ,entertainment for me ,watching this debalicle, and I get go bust on family& friends

forced89
11-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Chip Kelly is a joke!

tucker6
11-24-2015, 09:00 AM
Sam Bradford worked out great, didn't he. Traded a $1M qb for an $11M qb and got worse results. Bradford is EXACTLY who we thought he was. A mediocre qb with lots of injury history.

ebcorde
11-24-2015, 12:02 PM
was on to something. He's scared of some football players. He was asked if he yells. He said no.

sheet boys , this Chip dude cannot handle men. You betcha Belicheck be taking names.

ebcorde
11-24-2015, 12:10 PM

He lost that locker room big time. He's a lousy coach. seems more interested in his plays than winning the game. How many 3 and outs under 1 minute have you seen for the last 3 years. The constant slow starts.

8-9 Oregon players on the team? you saw what Ohio State did to Oregon last year? thug smash mouth all night long. all the trick plays, fancy Marietta passing and it came down to 5 big 320lb Ohio farm boys blocking for a 250lb RB.

And this Foles/Sanchez roll out for a 5 yard run says it all . he's a good college coach. but it won't work in the pros.

ManU918
11-24-2015, 01:45 PM
He lost that locker room big time. He's a lousy coach. seems more interested in his plays than winning the game. How many 3 and outs under 1 minute have you seen for the last 3 years. The constant slow starts.

8-9 Oregon players on the team? you saw what Ohio State did to Oregon last year? thug smash mouth all night long. all the trick plays, fancy Marietta passing and it came down to 5 big 320lb Ohio farm boys blocking for a 250lb RB.

And this Foles/Sanchez roll out for a 5 yard run says it all . he's a good college coach. but it won't work in the pros.

Cool story bro

ebcorde
11-24-2015, 04:33 PM
Cool story bro

I missed the 2005 NFC championship game was there in 1980 and 2002.
Joe Jurevious was running right at me. 1980 was cool. my brother and I were being handed beers thru car windows in the traffic jams leaving the stadium. At the 1980 game people were pulling out Champagne bottles to celebrate.

I attended the games back in the Sonny Jurgensen days too. So I've seen the worst. Chips the worst coach who thinks he knows it all.

I hate the Pats, I really hate them. was hoping shady would crush them last night, I have to admit Belicheck may be the best coach ever, he does not need to cheat. and Brady is making the game look easy

no breathalyzer
11-24-2015, 05:30 PM
Why do so many people hate the pats? People hate greatness?

barahona44
11-24-2015, 11:26 PM
Belichick did not become a .500 regular season coach until near the end of his ninth season as an NFL head coach.Five of his first six seasons were losing ones.He should thank God everyday that he has Tom Brady the QB AND Tom Brady,the team first guy who is currently the FOURTEENTH highest paid QB in football.He is saving the team at least 10 million per year, $ spent on other upgrades to the team. Belichick is a very good-not great- coach who is a wizard with personnel ,he knows exactly when to unload a player.But what innovations-other than deferring to take the second half after winning the coin toss-has he brought to football?If you ask me, most of Bellichick's "genius" is due to # 12.

Maximillion
11-24-2015, 11:58 PM
Belichick did not become a .500 regular season coach until near the end of his ninth season as an NFL head coach.Five of his first six seasons were losing ones.He should thank God everyday that he has Tom Brady the QB AND Tom Brady,the team first guy who is currently the FOURTEENTH highest paid QB in football.He is saving the team at least 10 million per year, $ spent on other upgrades to the team. Belichick is a very good-not great- coach who is a wizard with personnel ,he knows exactly when to unload a player.But what innovations-other than deferring to take the second half after winning the coin toss-has he brought to football?If you ask me, most of Bellichick's "genius" is due to # 12.

I think you can make the argument that he was probably the deciding factor in their first Super Bowl win.....not sure you can say the same of any other SB winning coach.
Love him or hate him I think you have to call him great.

tucker6
11-25-2015, 06:46 AM
Why do so many people hate the pats? People hate greatness?
people hate cheaters

proximity
11-25-2015, 07:08 AM
i believe bb is friends with kelly, likes to have pre-season practices with kelly, and even recommended kelly for the eagles job?

the loss of hicks is looking bigger.

upthecreek
11-25-2015, 07:09 AM
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/11/eagles_head_coach_chip_kelly_has_lost_the_team_sou .html#incart_river_index

tucker6
11-25-2015, 07:34 AM
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/11/eagles_head_coach_chip_kelly_has_lost_the_team_sou .html#incart_river_index
I always find it funny that big, grown burly men making millions per year to play a game are so fragile that they allow the coach to 'lose' them. Sounds like BS excuses to me for why they aren't performing. Maybe Lurie should announce through his press secretary that he is losing their paychecks because Chip Kelly lost him.

ManU918
11-25-2015, 07:40 AM
I always find it funny that big, grown burly men making millions per year to play a game are so fragile that they allow the coach to 'lose' them. Sounds like BS excuses to me for why they aren't performing. Maybe Lurie should announce through his press secretary that he is losing their paychecks because Chip Kelly lost him.

This isn't about the size of the team/players its human nature and applies to any leader in any job situation. If you don't trust/like the coach/manager you are going to lose the respect of your resources and in return the productivity level is going to plummet.

NorCalGreg
11-25-2015, 07:51 AM
was on to something. He's scared of some football players. He was asked if he yells. He said no.

sheet boys , this Chip dude cannot handle men. You betcha Belicheck be taking names.

Are any of you guys that are bashing Chip, even Philly fans? Or just bashing the coach cuz you lost your ass yet again on your sh*tty NFL picks?
I don't recall CK having to move a bunch of Lombardi trophies out of the way when he got there.
He got rid of Foles because he could see his leadership skills are weak, and McCoy's a locker room cancer, that had to go. Notice a couple of those guys he got rid of didn't exactly handle it with real class, did they? Now THAT said a lot. Lurie is willing to give him time--why can't Eagle fans? I hear Rob Ryan's available. :lol: Even when the Raiders were desperate enough to hire and fire the likes of Lane Kiffen--and already had Rob Ryan on staff--they refused to even interview him for head coach.

Enjoy your holiday

-NCG

tucker6
11-25-2015, 07:54 AM
This isn't about the size of the team/players its human nature and applies to any leader in any job situation. If you don't trust/like the coach/manager you are going to lose the respect of your resources and in return the productivity level is going to plummet.
In a normal job, I would agree. However, these are guys under contract similar to a consultant is to a standard business. If I am that full time consultant, I may not like the company/manager that I am working with, but I do the best I can because my work effort is my resume, and I want other businesses to see my body of work. Same in the NFL. You put in a crappy effort when the ship is sinking, and I guarantee you that while you may get re-employed by another team, you probably aren't getting the maximum bucks.

tucker6
11-25-2015, 07:59 AM
Are any of you guys that are bashing Chip, even Philly fans? Or just bashing the coach cuz you lost your ass yet again on your sh*tty NFL picks?
I don't recall CK having to move a bunch of Lombardi trophies out of the way when he got there.
He got rid of Foles because he could see his leadership skills are weak, and McCoy's a locker room cancer, that had to go. Notice a couple of those guys he got rid of didn't exactly handle it with real class, did they? Now THAT said a lot. Lurie is willing to give him time--why can't Eagle fans? I hear Rob Ryan's available. :lol: Even when the Raiders were desperate enough to hire and fire the likes of Lane Kiffen--and already had Rob Ryan on staff--they refused to even interview him for head coach.

Enjoy your holiday

-NCG
Not sure why one needs to be a Philly fan to bash a coach for poor performance. And yes, Chip and his team have underperformed. I have NFL Ticket, and have seen parts of every Philly game this year, and the product being put onto the field on offense is unacceptable by NFL standards. It is difficult for me to say whether the problem is scheme or personnel. Probably a little of both.

ManU918
11-25-2015, 08:10 AM
In a normal job, I would agree. However, these are guys under contract similar to a consultant is to a standard business. If I am that full time consultant, I may not like the company/manager that I am working with, but I do the best I can because my work effort is my resume, and I want other businesses to see my body of work. Same in the NFL. You put in a crappy effort when the ship is sinking, and I guarantee you that while you may get re-employed by another team, you probably aren't getting the maximum bucks.

I disagree. Players are full-time employees of the organization and are the most important resources. In most cases consultants don't do tactical work nor are they around for longer than a 6-12 month period, instead they give high level recommendations on changes that need to be made. They might hang around to help implement the change but in most cases aren't handling the day to day tactical initiatives.

proximity
11-25-2015, 09:28 AM
this part, IF true, is pathetic:

The agent also raised the possibility that at least one player was using an injury to stay off the field, because "he won't play hurt for Chip." The player, he said, could play with the injury but has chosen to stay on the sideline.

Robert Goren
11-25-2015, 02:15 PM
A couple of wins and the dump Kelly talk stops. A late season winning streak and a playoff win turns him back into a genius again. Before Kelly made his moves the Eagles were basically the NFC's answer to Bengals. A lot of regular season wins and no super bowl appearances. I do not thing Bradford is the answer at QB, but he still better Foles or anybody else the Eagles have had recently. Kelly tried to get Mariota. but the Titians wisely would not trade him. Finding even a decent QB is this league is very hard. There are only about a dozen or so who can throw the deep out accurately and several of them have other glaring weaknesses. If you don't have one of them, today's NFL defenses will eat you alive. There are literally 3 dozen or so QBs who have most of the tools but who can not make that throw. They are on for the most part either starters on 500 or worse teams or in backup roles. Bradford can make that throw, but has other issues. He will have to do until Kelly can find someone better. It seems that you either have to draft a good QB or luck into one like Arizona did with Palmer. Nobody is going trade you one or you likely to find on in free agency. About every three years, a good one come on the market, but he will have major issues that will need to be addressed. Remember Palmer failed in Oakland after leaving the Bengals. A lot of teams wanted nothing to do with him.

tucker6
11-25-2015, 02:35 PM
A couple of wins and the dump Kelly talk stops. A late season winning streak and a playoff win turns him back into a genius again. Before Kelly made his moves the Eagles were basically the NFC's answer to Bengals. A lot of regular season wins and no super bowl appearances. I do not thing Bradford is the answer at QB, but he still better Foles or anybody else the Eagles have had recently. Kelly tried to get Mariota. but the Titians wisely would not trade him. Finding even a decent QB is this league is very hard. There are only about a dozen or so who can throw the deep out accurately and several of them have other glaring weaknesses. If you don't have one of them, today's NFL defenses will eat you alive. There are literally 3 dozen or so QBs who have most of the tools but who can not make that throw. They are on for the most part either starters on 500 or worse teams or in backup roles. Bradford can make that throw, but has other issues. He will have to do until Kelly can find someone better. It seems that you either have to draft a good QB or luck into one like Arizona did with Palmer. Nobody is going trade you one or you likely to find on in free agency. About every three years, a good one come on the market, but he will have major issues that will need to be addressed. Remember Palmer failed in Oakland after leaving the Bengals. A lot of teams wanted nothing to do with him.
I don't buy your Eagles/Bengals analogy. The Eagles have gone to NFC championship games and Super Bowls. They have done fairly well over the last 20 years. The Eagles were 149-100 since 2000. That's pretty damned good. The Bengals were 120-128. The Bengals haven't won a playoff game in 25 years. The Eagles are 12-13 in the playoffs since 1990. The Bengals are 0-6.

The Eagles scored a franchise record 474 points last year under Kelly using Andy Reid's players, including Foles. This year they are extrapolated to produce 366 points using Kelly's guys, including Bradford. You would expect a team with another year in a system and players brought in specifically to run that system to perform better. No?

Finally, Kelly is paying Sam Bradford $10M more this year than he paid Nick Foles last year to run his offense. Here is the tale of the tape:

Nick Foles (2014 w/Eagles)
8 games
59.8 compl %
13/10 td/int
2163 yards
81.4 qb rating

Sam Bradford (2015 w/Eagles)
9 games
63.4 compl %
11/10 td/int
2297 yards
82.4 qb rating

Was Bradford worth an extra $10M? No. That trade is COMPLETELY on Chip Kelly. He screwed up and screwed the franchise at the same time. His main problem is ego. It is bigger than his ability.

KingChas
11-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Kelly stinks.

Some of his roster moves have been really dumb (and not necessarily the ones that were publicized). Getting rid of some of the guys they got rid of is fine, but then you don't go and spend money on a running back, no matter how creative the contract.

It's not so much about the guys he got rid of,
it's moreso what he got back for the guys he got rid of.......nothing:confused:

Robert Goren
11-25-2015, 10:09 PM
I don't buy your Eagles/Bengals analogy. The Eagles have gone to NFC championship games and Super Bowls. They have done fairly well over the last 20 years. The Eagles were 149-100 since 2000. That's pretty damned good. The Bengals were 120-128. The Bengals haven't won a playoff game in 25 years. The Eagles are 12-13 in the playoffs since 1990. The Bengals are 0-6.

The Eagles scored a franchise record 474 points last year under Kelly using Andy Reid's players, including Foles. This year they are extrapolated to produce 366 points using Kelly's guys, including Bradford. You would expect a team with another year in a system and players brought in specifically to run that system to perform better. No?

Finally, Kelly is paying Sam Bradford $10M more this year than he paid Nick Foles last year to run his offense. Here is the tale of the tape:

Nick Foles (2014 w/Eagles)
8 games
59.8 compl %
13/10 td/int
2163 yards
81.4 qb rating

Sam Bradford (2015 w/Eagles)
9 games
63.4 compl %
11/10 td/int
2297 yards
82.4 qb rating

Was Bradford worth an extra $10M? No. That trade is COMPLETELY on Chip Kelly. He screwed up and screwed the franchise at the same time. His main problem is ego. It is bigger than his ability.If you take a look at Foles's numbers with the Rams, it does take a genius to realize that Kelly's systems adds serious multipliers to QB stats. Kelly knew Foles was not answer. He took a chance on Bradford, hoping he would be an improvement. So far Bradford is a more expensive twin of Foles. I doubt he will be around next year as Kelly looks for a better QB. I am sure he won't be around for 11 million. The way they pay QBs these days, Bradford is a 5 million QB. Even if the Eagles won't pay him that, somebody will when there are at least 10 teams opening looking for a better QB.

ReplayRandall
11-26-2015, 12:30 AM
The way they pay QBs these days, Bradford is a 5 million QB. Even if the Eagles won't pay him that, somebody will when there are at least 10 teams opening looking for a better QB.

My list for available QB's in 2016:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Drew Brees
3. Sam Bradford
4. Philip Rivers
5. Colin Kaepernick
6. Robert Griffin III
7. Jay Cutler

ManU918
11-26-2015, 01:42 AM
My list for available QB's in 2016:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Drew Brees
3. Sam Bradford
4. Philip Rivers
5. Colin Kaepernick
6. Robert Griffin III
7. Jay Cutler

Manning will either be the President/GM for the Browns or the Titans... and I wouldn't want Manning to start for my high school team next year if he was eligible.

Brees will be 37 next season

Bradford sucks

Rivers signed a contract extension this year

Kaepernick is under contract but the 49ers can cut him if he's healthy and will only owe him some of his signing bonus

RG3 sucks and is injury prone

Jay Cutler is under contract (I don't see the Bears cutting him)

tucker6
11-26-2015, 06:58 AM
Add Johnny Football to that list if he doesn't get his act together. Unless he is trying to get out of Cleveland! :ThmbUp:

Nick Foles may be getting a divorce from Jeff Fisher, so who knows there.

No one in their right mind would pick up Peyton unless they were attempting to sell seat licenses, and even that may be farfetched given his freefall in skills.

thaskalos
11-26-2015, 02:38 PM
The worst defense in the history of the NFL.

Stillriledup
11-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Is there a bigger clown coaching in the nfl than this guy?

Secondbest
11-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Did he hire Rob Ryan to coach the defense?

upthecreek
11-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Local media & fans calling for Chip/Lurie to fire defensive coordinator Billy Davis

Stillriledup
11-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Local media & fans calling for Chip/Lurie to fire defensive coordinator Billy Davis

The players quit on the team and city, not sure changing coaches will fix bad attitudes from the players.

ManU918
12-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Crickets.

thaskalos
12-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Crickets.
What...he is a genius now?

ManU918
12-06-2015, 08:22 PM
What...he is a genius now?

Duh.

ReplayRandall
12-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Duh.

Duh.....a 5-7 genius.....Not too many of THEM around.

upthecreek
12-07-2015, 06:14 AM
There 5-7 when everybody thought they be 11-1
Theyre NOT winning the division
They're NOT going to the playoffs
Kelly is still a JV coach

tucker6
12-07-2015, 06:46 AM
...and if the Redskins lose tonight, they are in 1st

upthecreek
12-08-2015, 02:08 PM
...and if the Redskins lose tonight, they are in 1st
Wrong Redskins won first meeting,so if t ended today in a tie Redskins would be ahead of the Eagles

upthecreek
12-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Had meeting with Lurie

CBS Sports : Report: Frustrated DeMarco Murray talks to Eagles' owner about role. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw6_ConCc

ManU918
12-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Wrong Redskins won first meeting,so if t ended today in a tie Redskins would be ahead of the Eagles

The fact that the Eagles have the same record as the Redskins after losing to them and still have a game against Washington at home favors the Eagles.

ManU918
12-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Had meeting with Lurie

CBS Sports : Report: Frustrated DeMarco Murray talks to Eagles' owner about role. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw6_ConCc

If Matthews is cleared to play... Murray will probably touch the ball less than 5 times... Which is a good thing.

upthecreek
12-08-2015, 05:33 PM
The fact that the Eagles have the same record as the Redskins after losing to them and still have a game against Washington at home favors the Eagles.
Redskins have the easier schedule,Giants toughest

ManU918
12-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Redskins have the easier schedule,Giants toughest

3 of the 4 games for the Redskins are on the road (0-5 on the road). My guess is that they are underdogs in every remaining game. Giants are favorites this week in Miami.

proximity
12-08-2015, 06:26 PM
it's a new ballgame now but the gunner's not on quick slants tonight? :confused:

roob's happier than a kid on x-mas morning. :D

ManU918
12-08-2015, 06:37 PM
it's a new ballgame now but the gunner's not on quick slants tonight? :confused:

roob's happier than a kid on x-mas morning. :D

You get CSN Philly up near you? I've seen you talking about it here before but I thought you were closer to the Steelers... No?

proximity
12-08-2015, 09:39 PM
You get CSN Philly up near you? I've seen you talking about it here before but I thought you were closer to the Steelers... No?

no, philly's closer. probably about an extra hour and a half to pittsburgh.

proximity
12-09-2015, 01:12 AM
You get CSN Philly up near you?

ot, but do you know any of these girls in this sugarhouse game they're showing now??

ManU918
12-09-2015, 08:32 AM
ot, but do you know any of these girls in this sugarhouse game they're showing now??

Which one was it? The one with Beth Shak?

proximity
12-09-2015, 09:12 AM
karina raises AA.
Natasha calls with 63 s.

Natasha almost won a bracelet this summer?
I can't even beat aunt Hortense at the shoe?

this is professional poker?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29/news-views-gossip-sponsored-online-poker-report/jason-mercier-gone-insane-offering-3-1-winning-bracelet-1335224/index20.html#post48269408

ttt 4 coach Kelly.....

proximity
12-09-2015, 10:40 PM
chip Kelly just traded giles to the astros..... :)

upthecreek
12-17-2015, 11:02 AM
FanSided: Philadelphia Eagles Cutting Ties With Murray. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwkZnV9CM

proximity
12-17-2015, 04:48 PM
two game winning streak and roob's sitting about a foot taller in his chair, his tie is straight, and his hair's even combed!! :D

upthecreek
12-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Guess the genius had another meltdown 4th and inches and refuses to use Murray?

tucker6
12-21-2015, 07:43 AM
Guess the genius had another meltdown 4th and inches and refuses to use Murray?
Kelly needs to remember his Godfather quotes...

"It isn't personal. It's business"

He needs to remember that Murray taking his gripes to Lurie was his way of doing "business" and not "personal" against Kelly. Goes both ways, and Kelly seems to forget that.

upthecreek
12-27-2015, 06:08 AM
Now if I could just forecast horse races this well! :)

forced89
12-27-2015, 09:27 AM
He's gone. It is just a matter of when. Why they gave him power over personnel is beyond me.

ManU918
12-27-2015, 09:30 AM
He's gone. It is just a matter of when. Why they gave him power over personnel is beyond me.

He's not going anywhere unless he chooses to but that ship has sailed with all of the major college vacancies filled. He will be back next season.

Valuist
12-29-2015, 01:04 AM
It seems like Kelly's offense works best with a running QB. So he traded for a guy with 2 blown out ACLs. Kaepernick and RG3 are out there; Manziel may be as well. While Manziel may never become a great QB, he's better than McCown or Davis in Cleveland. So Cleveland will probably get rid of him. Both RG3 and Kaepernick are finished with their current teams. A change of scenery can't hurt.

upthecreek
12-29-2015, 06:17 AM
It seems like Kelly's offense works best with a running QB. So he traded for a guy with 2 blown out ACLs. Kaepernick and RG3 are out there; Manziel may be as well. While Manziel may never become a great QB, he's better than McCown or Davis in Cleveland. So Cleveland will probably get rid of him. Both RG3 and Kaepernick are finished with their current teams. A change of scenery can't hurt.
His offense works best with 20yo kids running around,instead of beat up 30+ guys that been in the NFL for a few years His defense gets beat up because they're on the field 40 minutes

Stillriledup
12-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Chips problem might be chip and his attitude, can't treat pros like college kids. There's a reason there's been back lash against him from former players, pretty sure Demarco will have something to say once he's an ex eagle.

upthecreek
12-29-2015, 12:21 PM
States "I'm not the GM"
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/12/28/chip-kelly-general-manager/

Kash$
12-29-2015, 07:20 PM
Oh well the insiders told us he will be back...not :lol:

ManU918
12-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Im waiting to hear from my brother who is a VP at NBC Sports... Only way they pull this move is if they have someone already lined up... My guess is McDermott... Ill post when he gets back to me.

Kash$
12-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Im waiting to hear from my brother who is a VP at NBC Sports... Only way they pull this move is if they have someone already lined up... My guess is McDermott... Ill post when he gets back to me.

Besides Mcdermott any other names?

Speed Figure
12-29-2015, 07:33 PM
It's on ESPN! http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14462075/chip-kelly-released-philadelphia-eagles

tucker6
12-29-2015, 07:35 PM
Chip is going, going, GONE...

Fired a few minutes ago.

Shemp Howard
12-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Saw him in a dress at 13th & Locust Streets after the Redskin fiasco so this is n0ot surprising.

ManU918
12-29-2015, 07:49 PM

He's driving in now... But he keeps pointing out to me that the wording is released and not fired... Could of been a mutual agreement where the Eagles let him go and dont have to pay his final two years and he is free to sign anywhere (Tenn).

Kash$
12-29-2015, 07:59 PM
He's driving in now... But he keeps pointing out to me that the wording is released and not fired... Could of been a mutual agreement where the Eagles let him go and dont have to pay his final two years and he is free to sign anywhere (Tenn).

Tenn....Yep

thaskalos
12-29-2015, 08:03 PM
Was it your brother who told you that Chip Kelly was a "Genius"? :)

ReplayRandall
12-29-2015, 08:38 PM
Lurie released a letter on Tuesday night through the team's site:

"I have made a decision to release Chip Kelly this evening. I spent the last three seasons evaluating the many factors involved in our performance as a team. As I watched this season unfold, I determined that it was time to make a change.

As we move forward, the search for a new head coach will begin and will be led by myself, Don Smolenski and Howie Roseman. To the extent that we are able, we will try to keep you informed as we go through this process.

Pat Shurmur will be our interim coach for the Giants game Sunday.

We have also released Ed Marynowitz, vice president of player personnel. Tom Donahoe, who has been our senior football advisor since 2012, will assume the role of senior director of player personnel.

I am determined and excited to select a new coach to help us obtain our ultimate goal.

Thank you for your consistent and enthusiastic support. It is always appreciated."

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Lurie
Chairman and CEO

ManU918
12-29-2015, 09:12 PM
Was it your brother who told you that Chip Kelly was a "Genius"? :)

No my brother has always hated Chip.

Stillriledup
12-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Interesting that they couldn't even wait till the end of the year.

Stillriledup
12-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Chips problem might be chip and his attitude, can't treat pros like college kids. There's a reason there's been back lash against him from former players, pretty sure Demarco will have something to say once he's an ex eagle.

De Marco lasted longer than Chip!! :lol:

rastajenk
12-29-2015, 10:18 PM
Tenn....Yep
Why would the Titans want him? He took a playoff-caliber team and turned it into a much worse team. I know that losing coaches can get second and third chances, if it's assumed they took a bad situation and couldn't turn it around, but that's not his situation. It's awful simplistic to think that reuniting with Mariota (about whom I never understood his lofty draft position and potential) is suddenly going to make both of them better. There's fifty other guys that have to buy into his "culture."

proximity
12-29-2015, 10:34 PM
they've reached defcon 1 at comcast.

some interesting comments for sure.

roob wants to switch to a 4-3.

Track Collector
12-29-2015, 11:44 PM
A lot of questionable personnel moves for sure.

I would not be surprised if this was Chip's one and only stint in the NFL.

Stillriledup
12-30-2015, 12:51 AM
A lot of questionable personnel moves for sure.

I would not be surprised if this was Chip's one and only stint in the NFL.

Michael Strahan went to Coughlin and pulled him aside and explained how he would have to change in order to survive. This was before the SB wins. Coughlin listened and changed his approach and he's been there ever since. Kelly seems to be in the same boat, he would have to become a changed man in order to have any shot to be a successful nfl HC. His way didn't work.

thaskalos
12-30-2015, 01:51 AM
Michael Strahan went to Coughlin and pulled him aside and explained how he would have to change in order to survive. This was before the SB wins. Coughlin listened and changed his approach and he's been there ever since. Kelly seems to be in the same boat, he would have to become a changed man in order to have any shot to be a successful nfl HC. His way didn't work.

In Chip Kelly's case...NFL stood for Not For Long. :)

Stillriledup
12-30-2015, 04:25 AM
In Chip Kelly's case...NFL stood for Not For Long. :)

E5sIzGXJ8mw

ManU918
12-30-2015, 09:41 AM

Supposedly only three names have been mentioned... McDermott, Adam Gase and Sean Payton.

upthecreek
12-30-2015, 10:12 AM
4 sports guys on local news this AM said they have inside info Kelly will be named head coach of the Titans by next Wednesday

ManU918
12-30-2015, 10:14 AM
4 sports guys on local news this AM said they have inside info Kelly will be named head coach of the Titans by next Wednesday

Wouldn't doubt it.

tucker6
12-30-2015, 12:24 PM
But will he be allowed to buy the groceries? That's the rub.

ManU918
12-30-2015, 12:37 PM
But will he be allowed to buy the groceries? That's the rub.

He said he no longer wants to be involved in player personnel decisions moving forward.

ponyplayerdotca
12-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Kelly will go back to college somewhere. As mentioned earlier in this thread, his system seems to work well with 20-year-olds who buy into it for whatever reason. And the point about the high octane approach to offense subjecting his defense to long stints on the field is very valid.

I always felt Kelly was nothing more than an offensive co-ordinator. Some guys are not cut out for the head coaching position.

My prediction on Sean Payton is he's off to Dallas (despite the heavy payout required to Garrett if Jones lets him go). DeMarco Murray may easily end up right back in Dallas too. Not sure how exactly but these situations always seem to work out that way. Similar to how James Jones ended up back in Green Bay after just one year in Oakland (although different circumstances of course allowed that).

If I could snap my fingers and run the world, I'd have my Bears cut Jay Cutler, sign Drew Brees, replace John Fox with Sean Payton and draft a solid running back if Forte leaves town. But that's never going to happen, is it? Dare to dream....

ManU918
12-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Kelly will go back to college somewhere. As mentioned earlier in this thread, his system seems to work well with 20-year-olds who buy into it for whatever reason. And the point about the high octane approach to offense subjecting his defense to long stints on the field is very valid.

I always felt Kelly was nothing more than an offensive co-ordinator. Some guys are not cut out for the head coaching position.

My prediction on Sean Payton is he's off to Dallas (despite the heavy payout required to Garrett if Jones lets him go). DeMarco Murray may easily end up right back in Dallas too. Not sure how exactly but these situations always seem to work out that way. Similar to how James Jones ended up back in Green Bay after just one year in Oakland (although different circumstances of course allowed that).

If I could snap my fingers and run the world, I'd have my Bears cut Jay Cutler, sign Drew Brees, replace John Fox with Sean Payton and draft a solid running back if Forte leaves town. But that's never going to happen, is it? Dare to dream....

I disagree with the notion that his system works in college because college players buy-in. This wasn't about buying in. This was about not having a speed advantage. His system (Similar systems) work/worked at Oregon because he had some of the fastest guys in the country. Speed is the difference in college. Everyone in the NFL is fast. Oregon lost 1 game in 2010 (Auburn), 2 games in 2011 (LSU & USC) and 1 game in 2012 Stanford. Those 4 programs have players with NFL speed that could match up well.

He's not cut out as a head coach? The guy's lifetime college record is 46-7 and 26-21 in the NFL. Sure maybe his system didn't workout in Philadelphia but that doesn't mean the guy cant coach.

How will Murray end up back in Dallas? Do you think the Eagles are going to cut him? That's never going to happen. James Jones signed a three year deal with Oakland worth 11.3 million and only a small portion of that was guaranteed. DeMarco Murray signed a five year deal worth 42 million with 21 million guaranteed. He's not going anywhere.

proximity
12-31-2015, 12:04 AM
hopefully sean payton winds up with the colts.

Valuist
12-31-2015, 01:24 AM

Fox isn't the problem with the Bears. After 15 games, they have been favored twice. They've won six. That's not a coach issue; its personnel. But they were rebuilding this year, anyways. As for Cutler, he's not terrible; he's average. But he's getting paid like a superstar.

forced89
12-31-2015, 09:18 AM
He's not going anywhere unless he chooses to but that ship has sailed with all of the major college vacancies filled. He will be back next season.

Really!

ManU918
12-31-2015, 10:05 AM
Really!

Two days late...But okay. Feel better now?

RaceBookJoe
12-31-2015, 11:51 AM
Fox isn't the problem with the Bears. After 15 games, they have been favored twice. They've won six. That's not a coach issue; its personnel. But they were rebuilding this year, anyways. As for Cutler, he's not terrible; he's average. But he's getting paid like a superstar.

Agree, its a personnel issue. My brother-in-law is the OLine coach there. This is his 3rd NFL stop with Fox, both ended up with losing trips to the SB though ( Carolina, Denver ). I would be happy if I was a Bears fan that they at least have the potential to build an improved team.

As a Redskins fan, I am bummed Kelly got fired. He absolutely destroyed a team that I hate haha. I expect Lurie to do what it takes to turn that ship around though, just might take a few years.

ponyplayerdotca
12-31-2015, 05:12 PM
He's not cut out as a head coach? The guy's lifetime college record is 46-7 and 26-21 in the NFL. Sure maybe his system didn't workout in Philadelphia but that doesn't mean the guy can't coach.

I agree with your "speed" argument - good observation.

I disagree with using his W-L record in the NFL as a "he's a good coach" argument though. I should have said he wasn't cut out to be an NFL head coach in my original post.

Some guys know how to coach an entire team of players, assistant coaches, personnel with regards to both football and outside football life, etc. and some can't. With the number of player issues in the locker room, rumors, and inability to find any team chemistry after three seasons, I think he's proven my point, not rebuffed it. And the major trades he made heading into this season have failed miserably, hence the loss of employment.

A win-loss record of 26-21 in the NFL is below average if you're expecting playoff and Super Bowl success in the long term. And that kind of record doesn't get you "a long term" in the NFL. I'm glad he's gone. I don't expect him to be back as a head coach in the NFL anytime soon.

ponyplayerdotca
12-31-2015, 05:24 PM
Agree, its a personnel issue. My brother-in-law is the OLine coach there. This is his 3rd NFL stop with Fox, both ended up with losing trips to the SB though ( Carolina, Denver ). I would be happy if I was a Bears fan that they at least have the potential to build an improved team.

I know it's revisionist history, so it's pointless to worry about, but...

The Bears had a chance to hire Bruce Arians in 2013 after he led the Colts as interim head coach in 2012 (Chuck Pagano was stricken with cancer that year). Arians said in his A FOOTBALL LIFE doc on NFL Network, "I thought I had the job. But the sticking point the next day was that I wanted Todd Bowles to be my defensive co-ordinator and run his system. The Bears ran a TAMPA TWO defence and didn't want to change that. I refused to bend and they didn't hire me."

Arians and Bowles end up in Arizona shortly thereafter and now are one of the best teams in the league. Bowles has also graduated to head coaching duties with the N.Y. Jets this year and now they are much improved too.

Bears fans get Marc Trestman's two poor years and re-sign CUTLER for 7 years through 2020 in January of 2014. As correctly stated, he's average getting paid like a superstar. It would be nice to see the Bears spend the money on good players and coaches when they have the chance. The talent level is quite abysmal these last three seasons.

And with all due respect to John Fox, my personal opinion is his time has passed. John Elway desperately wants to win a Super Bowl in Denver and even he felt Fox just wasn't the guy to get them there. Why would you want the coach of a team who looked so poor in Super Bowl 48 to be the guy to try again with much less talent in Chicago? I will never understand that logic.

Stillriledup
12-31-2015, 05:53 PM
If there was a public outcry to keep chip, fans rallying almost unanimously to keep the guy, fans outside the gates with signs, loud chants inside the stadium professing vocal support, woud the Eagles had kept him.

Robert Fischer
12-31-2015, 07:46 PM
i would love to see a coach come in and do 'moneyball' moves and run innovative schemes that exploit the system.

Kelly is not that guy.

I liked the idea of him being that guy, but it wasn't him, in spite of the hype.

He did pretty well to refresh that team initially.

He made some bad roster moves, and I'm not referring necessarily to the big name guys that were questioned when he first made the moves. Add to that his ineptness at evaluating NFL talent, and the fact that his offense wasn't really all that innovative. It's possible that some of his problems stem from compromising rather than fully going with a radical approach, but I didn't follow him closely in college, and I didn't see anything special at any time in the NFL.

'Bust' in every sense of the word. Don't let the overall record fool you.
He'll likely get a good college job and has a chance to get back to his comfort zone.

Stillriledup
12-31-2015, 10:27 PM
i would love to see a coach come in and do 'moneyball' moves and run innovative schemes that exploit the system.

Kelly is not that guy.

I liked the idea of him being that guy, but it wasn't him, in spite of the hype.

He did pretty well to refresh that team initially.

He made some bad roster moves, and I'm not referring necessarily to the big name guys that were questioned when he first made the moves. Add to that his ineptness at evaluating NFL talent, and the fact that his offense wasn't really all that innovative. It's possible that some of his problems stem from compromising rather than fully going with a radical approach, but I didn't follow him closely in college, and I didn't see anything special at any time in the NFL.

'Bust' in every sense of the word. Don't let the overall record fool you.
He'll likely get a good college job and has a chance to get back to his comfort zone.

Colin Cowherd and even Belichick were banging the 'chips a good coach' drum but there's a lot more to being a 'good coach' than Xs and Os. chip seemed to rub guys the wrong way, players calling him out after leaving the team, that's not a strategy thing, great coaches get players on the same page and get them to play hard, chip can still be a successful NFL coach but he has to work on interpersonal skills, that seems to be his Achilles heel at this point.

Valuist
12-31-2015, 11:07 PM
I know it's revisionist history, so it's pointless to worry about, but...

The Bears had a chance to hire Bruce Arians in 2013 after he led the Colts as interim head coach in 2012 (Chuck Pagano was stricken with cancer that year). Arians said in his A FOOTBALL LIFE doc on NFL Network, "I thought I had the job. But the sticking point the next day was that I wanted Todd Bowles to be my defensive co-ordinator and run his system. The Bears ran a TAMPA TWO defence and didn't want to change that. I refused to bend and they didn't hire me."

Arians and Bowles end up in Arizona shortly thereafter and now are one of the best teams in the league. Bowles has also graduated to head coaching duties with the N.Y. Jets this year and now they are much improved too.

Bears fans get Marc Trestman's two poor years and re-sign CUTLER for 7 years through 2020 in January of 2014. As correctly stated, he's average getting paid like a superstar. It would be nice to see the Bears spend the money on good players and coaches when they have the chance. The talent level is quite abysmal these last three seasons.

And with all due respect to John Fox, my personal opinion is his time has passed. John Elway desperately wants to win a Super Bowl in Denver and even he felt Fox just wasn't the guy to get them there. Why would you want the coach of a team who looked so poor in Super Bowl 48 to be the guy to try again with much less talent in Chicago? I will never understand that logic.

At least Fox GOT to Super Bowl 48 (as well as one with a Jake Delhomme QB'd Carolina team). Getting blown out was on the players. They also have Adam Gase, who is one of the hot coordinators being mentioned as a head coaching candidate, and Vic Fangio, one of the top D-C's in the game. It's a rebuilding process; the Bears won't be going to any Super Bowls for a few years, even if Bill Belichek or Vince Lombardi were coaching the team.

rastajenk
01-01-2016, 07:18 AM
chip can still be a successful NFL coach but he has to work on interpersonal skills, that seems to be his Achilles heel at this point.Why would any NFL owner waste time on a work in progress like that when there are so many proven commodities out there? Especially on a big salary.

ponyplayerdotca
01-01-2016, 11:55 AM
At least Fox GOT to Super Bowl 48 (as well as one with a Jake Delhomme QB'd Carolina team). Getting blown out was on the players. They also have Adam Gase, who is one of the hot coordinators being mentioned as a head coaching candidate, and Vic Fangio, one of the top D-C's in the game. It's a rebuilding process; the Bears won't be going to any Super Bowls for a few years, even if Bill Belichek or Vince Lombardi were coaching the team.

John Fox is a great coach. I am not disputing this. But Carolina in SB 38 is twelve years ago. Denver's performance in SB 48 was shameful. Put that on the players if you want, but they looked ill-prepared for that game from start to finish.

As far as Chicago, I just want the Bears to be RELEVANT again. One good season every fours years (2006 made SB 41, 2010 made NFC title game) is nice, but not at the expense of lost seasons of mediocrity in between. How many seasons do you continue to forfeit in the name of "it's a rebuilding process"? Bears fans like me are tired of how meekly they play when faced with adversity and how unemotional or upset about failure.

Some teams are just "good" all the time, year in and year out, as coaching and player changes are made each year. The Bears have never seemed to find the people to keep a certain level of success (10-6 seasons for example). I am not expecting the world, but I do expect that for a team with a large city and following like the Bears, that the owners would be able to "get it right" more often than not.

Arians was on the rise and the Bears had him. But because of their refusal to change a defensive scheme, they turned their back on a guy who seems to be a great head coach (from scheme, to personnel assessment, to managing egos, and getting players "on the same page" to play for him. And then turning that into on field success as well.)

Cardinals with Whisenhunt (2010 5-11, 2011 8-8, 2012 5-11).
Cardinals with Arians (2013 10-6, 2014 11-5, 2015 13-2).
Bears with Trestman (2011 8-8, 2012 10-6, 2013 8-8).
Bears with Fox (2014 5-11, 2015 6-9).

That's one winning season in five since letting Lovie Smith go. That is not good enough IMO.

I would like to see the Bears better. Just better. But every year, as the coaches and players change, while the rest of the league surpasses them and pushes them around and beats them, the Bears just say "it's a rebuilding process. Just wait till next year."

ponyplayerdotca
01-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Bears with Trestman (2013 8-8, 2014 5-11).
Bears wtih Fox (2015 6-9).

Should have read "zero winning seasons in three years since letting Lovie Smith go".

My mistake!

Rookies
01-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Colin Cowherd and even Belichick were banging the 'chips a good coach' drum but there's a lot more to being a 'good coach' than Xs and Os. chip seemed to rub guys the wrong way, players calling him out after leaving the team, that's not a strategy thing, great coaches get players on the same page and get them to play hard, chip can still be a successful NFL coach but he has to work on interpersonal skills, that seems to be his Achilles heel at this point.

I completely agree with this take. Kelly is far ahead of most of the 32 HCs in the NFL in terms of Game Management, strategy, clock management, etc. Sooooo many are still back in the 3 yards and a cloud of dust donkey years.

However, Kelly's system was never going to succeed with an immobile stiff like Bradford. And, as was said, his "interpersonal" skilks were sorely lacking with multi million dollar pro players- versus college. Kelly has also become more conservative, by, for example, punting on 4th Down inside the Opponents 40. Something, I woukd almost never do, based on modern football science.

But when Billy B sits at your table to learn the highlights of high octane, up tempo, you've got what teams want. He'll be rehired very soon. Linking up in Tennesse is a no brainer.

Secondbest
01-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Bears with Trestman (2013 8-8, 2014 5-11).
Bears wtih Fox (2015 6-9).

Should have read "zero winning seasons in three years since letting Lovie Smith go".

My mistake!
It all starts with the owner.The bears have bad ownership. Doubtful if they will ever be atop team

forced89
01-01-2016, 01:26 PM
I'm making the assumption that Eagles Players will be so motivated by the removal of Chip Kelly that they will play their butts off on Sunday so I bet $100 on the ML that the Eagles will beat the Giants. Could be I am wrong but we will see.

Stillriledup
01-01-2016, 02:00 PM
I'm making the assumption that Eagles Players will be so motivated by the removal of Chip Kelly that they will play their butts off on Sunday so I bet $100 on the ML that the Eagles will beat the Giants. Could be I am wrong but we will see.

Giants will have motivation to finish ahead of the eagles, Beckham back fresh and rested he may torch these guys. As far as motivated, giants may be more motivated to win one for TC as there's no proof he will be back. Be careful here.

tucker6
01-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Giants will have motivation to finish ahead of the eagles, Beckham back fresh and rested he may torch these guys. As far as motivated, giants may be more motivated to win one for TC as there's no proof he will be back. Be careful here.
Agree

Stillriledup
01-02-2016, 06:22 AM
Chip to Tennessee? seems like a no brainer for Chip and for the Titans.

Robert Fischer
01-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Chip to Tennessee? seems like a no brainer for Chip and for the Titans.

Sounds awesome on paper.

lots of questions

As the OC + to develop Mariota?

Who is currently the OC in Tenn?

What is Kelly's current market value (considering potential college offers), and is Tenn willing to match that offer?

Does accepting a Tenn OC job have the upside and even the value-sustaining qualities that a decent college job would have?

Stillriledup
01-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Sounds awesome on paper.

lots of questions

As the OC + to develop Mariota?

Who is currently the OC in Tenn?

What is Kelly's current market value (considering potential college offers), and is Tenn willing to match that offer?

Does accepting a Tenn OC job have the upside and even the value-sustaining qualities that a decent college job would have?

I think Chip feels he got a raw deal in Philly and if he runs back to college, he's essentially admitting Pha was right to fire him. I think he's got a fire burning to prove he's a top NFL coach and Marcus wants him no doubt.

Kash$
01-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Duce Staley interviews for Eagles job :confused:

Stillriledup
01-02-2016, 06:07 PM
Duce Staley interviews for Eagles job :confused:

Probably their one 'affirmative action' interview.

Kash$
01-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Probably their one 'affirmative action' interview.

Forgot Rooney Rule

proximity
01-04-2016, 06:17 PM
roob wants hue jackson....

ebcorde
01-04-2016, 06:33 PM
since Eddie Khayat 1972.

he sucked at Play calling, coaching and drafting. His teams were penalty machines because he could not coach.

it' like he was paid to destroy the eagles.

ManU918
01-04-2016, 06:36 PM
roob wants hue jackson....

I haven't heard a name who I thought would be a good fit yet... Jackson, Pederson, Staley, McAdoo... Seriously?

ManU918
01-04-2016, 06:39 PM
since Eddie Khayat 1972.

he sucked at Play calling, coaching and drafting. His teams were penalty machines because he could not coach.

it' like he was paid to destroy the eagles.

And yet he was 26-21... One win behind Reid after three seasons who was 27-21 and 8 wins above Vermeil who was 18-26 both of which are argued as the best coaches in franchise history.

Kash$
01-04-2016, 06:39 PM
I haven't heard a name who I thought would be a good fit yet... Jackson, Pederson, Staley, McAdoo... Seriously?

ManU-according to a buddy a mine from Philly Pederson was Reids input.

ebcorde
01-04-2016, 06:43 PM
bring in some really old successful defensive co-ord that's been around. and some old experienced successful GM, new scouts

Plenty of good successful assistant coaches you can steal with a pay raise

ManU918
01-04-2016, 06:54 PM
ManU-according to a buddy a mine from Philly Pederson was Reids input.

I'm not sure Doug Pederson is ready to be an NFL head coach. The guy has never been a head coach outside of high school for three years and has only been an offensive coordinator for one year. Out of all of the candidates I've heard so far I'd take Pederson but I'm just a little surprised of the list up to this point.

ebcorde
01-04-2016, 07:07 PM
And yet he was 26-21... One win behind Reid after three seasons who was 27-21 and 8 wins above Vermeil who was 18-26 both of which are argued as the best coaches in franchise history.

he had early success but long term he's a disaster. read the comments by the players. From what I read He never understood what the players bodies have to endure. Never understood you need time to audible. And if you object you outta here.

I read what Lane Johnson and Bradford said it all made sense. I think Peters
limping off the field all season was a quiet protest. Bradford looked great Sunday,

and he's a terrible drafter, how did Mathews drop that lob? that was a backyard lob toss between father and son and he dropped it.

NorCalGreg
01-04-2016, 07:47 PM
There's talk here on the Sports talk radio of Niners/Chip Kelly mutual interest. Honestly i think they deserve each other.

proximity
01-04-2016, 08:20 PM

what happened to mcdermott?

someone made a post on the colts forum asking about his working relationship with our gm ryan grigson from their time in philadelphia.

Stillriledup
01-04-2016, 09:17 PM
There's talk here on the Sports talk radio of Niners/Chip Kelly mutual interest. Honestly i think they deserve each other.

Cowherd made good point today he was like 'aren't harbaugh and chip essentially the same guy from a personality standpoint?'

tucker6
01-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Cowherd made good point today he was like 'aren't harbaugh and chip essentially the same guy from a personality standpoint?'
not even in the same galaxy

Stillriledup
01-04-2016, 10:37 PM

They're not?

Valuist
01-04-2016, 10:41 PM

I heard that too and it was from a national talk show.

ManU918
01-05-2016, 04:48 AM

Agreed.

ManU918
01-05-2016, 04:58 AM
and he's a terrible drafter, how did Mathews drop that lob? that was a backyard lob toss between father and son and he dropped it.

A terrible drafter? He was only in charge of one NFL draft (2015) and I think it was pretty successful. Agholor had a terrible season but Rowe and Hicks (prior to injury) played great.

For what its worth Chip didn't draft Jordan Matthews. But in two seasons with the Eagles Matthews has 16 touchdowns and 1900 yards receiving.

ManU918
01-05-2016, 05:02 AM
what happened to mcdermott?

someone made a post on the colts forum asking about his working relationship with our gm ryan grigson from their time in philadelphia.

I haven't heard anything on McDermott. Maybe that's because they cant talk to him or maybe its because Lurie is being Lurie and wants to bring in an offensive guy. Either way now we know the Colts have a coach so that's one less team that will be pursuing him.

ebcorde
01-05-2016, 08:58 AM
A terrible drafter? He was only in charge of one NFL draft (2015) and I think it was pretty successful. Agholor had a terrible season but Rowe and Hicks (prior to injury) played great.

For what its worth Chip didn't draft Jordan Matthews. But in two seasons with the Eagles Matthews has 16 touchdowns and 1900 yards receiving.

who told you Chip had only 1 draft? chip :lol:

I never watched Oregon football , took it for granted he was a genius because everyone told me was. Until I read his football history, he was assistant at U of New Hampshire for a long time, moved to Oregon as an assistant , was head coach for only 3-4 years before the Eagles job.
New Hampshire never made him a head coach ,New Hampshire never won a title.

I found that odd that he did not advance at New Hampshire.
and did not receive a Head coaching position immediatly after his departure

ManU918
01-05-2016, 09:54 AM
who told you Chip had only 1 draft? chip :lol:

I never watched Oregon football , took it for granted he was a genius because everyone told me was. Until I read his football history, he was assistant at U of New Hampshire for a long time, moved to Oregon as an assistant , was head coach for only 3-4 years before the Eagles job.
New Hampshire never made him a head coach ,New Hampshire never won a title.

I found that odd that he did not advance at New Hampshire.
and did not receive a Head coaching position immediatly after his departure

Yes... Hence why he insisted on having final say on personnel decisions after the 2014 season.

He did not advance at New Hampshire? News to me. He went from RB coach to OL coach to offensive coordinator during his tenure there. He did get a head coaching position immediately after his departure. He was the offensive coordinator at Oregon for one season and then became their head coach. That's immediate when going from an assistant coach at an FCS school with no head coaching experience to an FBS major program. Show me one FCS assistant who left and the following year was an FBS head coach at a major program.

ManU918
01-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Great hire by the 49ers.

tucker6
01-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Great hire by the 49ers.
I think it is a risky hire with more downside than upside. In the NFL, Chip is an OC and not a HC. He's not a man's man if you will. (Pun intended after the fact)

ManU918
01-14-2016, 02:25 PM
I think it is a risky hire with more downside than upside. In the NFL, Chip is an OC and not a HC. He's not a man's man if you will. (Pun intended after the fact)

How can the 49ers go any further down? They are putrid. Kelly will be successful in San Fran. He's back with Gamble and has a QB who can run his system.

tucker6
01-14-2016, 02:34 PM
How can the 49ers go any further down? They are putrid. Kelly will be successful in San Fran. He's back with Gamble and has a QB who can run his system.
I do not believe his scheme takes into account the speed of the defenders in the NFL nor do I believe he has internalized the fact that nfl players are highly paid professionals and expect a different style of communications.

ManU918
01-14-2016, 02:47 PM
I do not believe his scheme takes into account the speed of the defenders in the NFL nor do I believe he has internalized the fact that nfl players are highly paid professionals and expect a different style of communications.

I agree with your speed argument but I think a QB who runs a 4.5 40 offsets a lot of that. Chip was able to win 26 games in 3 seasons with Vick, Sanchez, Foles and Bradford. The guy had one bad season but lets not forget he took a 4-12 team to winning the division by going 10-6 the following year. I think he will learn from past experiences and be a more approachable/open door policy kind of coach moving forward.

Secondbest
01-14-2016, 03:57 PM
His scheme might have a tough time with the 3 other teams in the division. They are much better defenses than the east.

Stillriledup
01-14-2016, 07:19 PM
I agree with your speed argument but I think a QB who runs a 4.5 40 offsets a lot of that. Chip was able to win 26 games in 3 seasons with Vick, Sanchez, Foles and Bradford. The guy had one bad season but lets not forget he took a 4-12 team to winning the division by going 10-6 the following year. I think he will learn from past experiences and be a more approachable/open door policy kind of coach moving forward.

Good post and adding he will have more time to coach due to less responsibility. It's a good hire. Massive coaching upgrade.

Stillriledup
01-14-2016, 07:35 PM
If you were Tenessee would you dangle Mariota to SF? They can trade MM to SF for some other picks or players and then draft this Goff guy, unless you think Mariota is 50x better than Goff, but if you're Tenn, you can upgrade your roster and still get a great QB.

ManU918
01-14-2016, 09:39 PM
If you were Tenessee would you dangle Mariota to SF? They can trade MM to SF for some other picks or players and then draft this Goff guy, unless you think Mariota is 50x better than Goff, but if you're Tenn, you can upgrade your roster and still get a great QB.

This would never happen for a number of reasons. Mostly because the 49ers don't need a QB. That and the fact that the Browns will almost definitely be taking Goff with the second pick.

Stillriledup
01-15-2016, 12:31 AM
This would never happen for a number of reasons. Mostly because the 49ers don't need a QB. That and the fact that the Browns will almost definitely be taking Goff with the second pick.

Isn't Colin kaepermik a bust, why wouldn't you upgrade to Mariota If you can?

Tenn has #1 pick so they can take Goff if they trade Marcus

ManU918
01-15-2016, 07:38 AM
Isn't Colin kaepermik a bust, why wouldn't you upgrade to Mariota If you can?

Tenn has #1 pick so they can take Goff if they trade Marcus

How is Kaepernick a bust? He's 27-20 as a starter with 56 TD's, 26 INT's, 1800 rushing yards and 11 rushing TD's. Compared to what Chip has been working with Kaep is the stone cold nuts.

Why would Tennessee ever consider trading Marcus Mariota? Did you not watch him play this season? 12 games accounting for 22 touchdowns and 10 INT's is pretty damn good. Not sure what else you want out of a rookie QB. The Titans are using that pick on the tackle from Ole Miss Laremy Tunsil.

reckless
01-15-2016, 11:58 AM
I prefer Colin K. over Mariota if given a choice.... by a lot. And Colin will thrive again if Chip gets thru to the players with his style.

Kelly wasn't a genius when he turned the Eagles around, and he wasn't a dope after this season. ( I just love sports and all the silly chit-chat that comes with it. Eagles fans know what I mean more than those that didn't follow Philly.)

Will Chip do well in Frisco? My guess is yes, but the Eagles are probably a way more talented team top to bottom than the 49ers are, so it may take 1-2 years to turn the ship again.

Anyway, the real issue in Frisco is the ownership, plain and simple, IMO.

tucker6
01-15-2016, 12:16 PM
How is Kaepernick a bust? He's 27-20 as a starter with 56 TD's, 26 INT's, 1800 rushing yards and 11 rushing TD's. Compared to what Chip has been working with Kaep is the stone cold nuts.

Why would Tennessee ever consider trading Marcus Mariota? Did you not watch him play this season? 12 games accounting for 22 touchdowns and 10 INT's is pretty damn good. Not sure what else you want out of a rookie QB. The Titans are using that pick on the tackle from Ole Miss Laremy Tunsil.
If one expected Colin to be middle of the road, he is not a bust. He desperately needs a solid qb coach and a game plan that fits his specific skill set.

ManU918
01-15-2016, 05:28 PM
I prefer Colin K. over Mariota if given a choice.... by a lot. And Colin will thrive again if Chip gets thru to the players with his style.

Kelly wasn't a genius when he turned the Eagles around, and he wasn't a dope after this season. ( I just love sports and all the silly chit-chat that comes with it. Eagles fans know what I mean more than those that didn't follow Philly.)

Will Chip do well in Frisco? My guess is yes, but the Eagles are probably a way more talented team top to bottom than the 49ers are, so it may take 1-2 years to turn the ship again.

Anyway, the real issue in Frisco is the ownership, plain and simple, IMO.

I disagree with your Kaepernick/Mariota assessment but only time will tell who is right on this one.

As far as Chip in San Fran I also think he will have success.

reckless
01-15-2016, 08:02 PM
I disagree with your Kaepernick/Mariota assessment but only time will tell who is right on this one.

As far as Chip in San Fran I also think he will have success.

If nothing else Kaepernick now has a coach that will install an offence that utilizes Colin's skill. If he now fails under Kelly, then he'll have a rough go the rest of his NFL career.

I hope Mariota has a good career. I just never felt the Pac 12 teams as a league weren't that strong when Oregon and Mariota were kicking butt.

Stillriledup
01-15-2016, 10:44 PM

49ers record has been pretty bad of late, the team was great and then fell off the map virtually overnight. I heard that his jerseys were taken off the clearance Rack, why would a non bust player have jerseys on clearance?

I'm not suggesting Mariota isn't really good, I just think you can get a LOT for him if SF Wants a big QB upgrade as well as Chip bringing in his guy.

Robert Fischer
01-15-2016, 11:33 PM
some parallels w/ kaep and 'RG3'

both could change coverages/defenses with their running threat

both gained prominence under 'value' contracts

both obtained big contracts and had to be protected more

both lost their value in terms of cap-value and in terms of changing defenses

... At least Kaep has fresh knees.

I don't have high hopes for Kelly here, but the 9ers did just get more interesting.

NJ Stinks
01-16-2016, 12:27 AM
The guy had one bad season but lets not forget he took a 4-12 team to winning the division by going 10-6 the following year. I think he will learn from past experiences and be a more approachable/open door policy kind of coach moving forward.

What pro football player would even want to play for Kelly?

He dumps Foles who was 14-4 for Kelly as a starter not counting a 2 point playoff loss to the Saints.

He dumps DeSean Jackson and but don't worry - Jeremy Maclin made Philly fans forget about Jackson. He then dumps Maclin because he's Chip and your not.

He dumps McCoy because supposedly Murray was cheaper to pay.

He dumps his starting offensive guards before the 2015 season began - one was an all-pro.

Somebody tell me why anybody would want to play for a guy like Kelly? Foles came through for Kelly big-time and Chip discarded Nick like Foles was 4-14 playing for Chipper. Jackson & Maclin were rewarded for unbelievably tremendous years by being shown the door. Can you put a price on the being the leading rusher in Eagles history? Chip could and did. And all-pro offensive guards are not held in high esteem by Chippy either.

I'm convinced Chip is in the wrong profession. He should be a down-sizing CEO somewhere making life a misery for those "lucky" surviving employees. :rolleyes:

Seriously, why would anybody - and I mean any player who is good enough to pick and choose his team - want to play for a guy who thinks loyalty is either a one-way street or for losers?

ManU918
01-16-2016, 03:53 AM

He dumps Foles who was 14-4 for Kelly as a starter not counting a 2 point playoff loss to the Saints.

He dumps DeSean Jackson and but don't worry - Jeremy Maclin made Philly fans forget about Jackson. He then dumps Maclin because he's Chip and your not.

He dumps his starting offensive guards before the 2015 season began - one was an all-pro.

Somebody tell me why anybody would want to play for a guy like Kelly? Foles came through for Kelly big-time and Chip discarded Nick like Foles was 4-14 playing for Chipper. Jackson & Maclin were rewarded for unbelievably tremendous years by being shown the door. Can you put a price on the being the leading rusher in Eagles history? Chip could and did. And all-pro offensive guards are not held in high esteem by Chippy either.

I'm convinced Chip is in the wrong profession. He should be a down-sizing CEO somewhere making life a misery for those "lucky" surviving employees. :rolleyes:

Seriously, why would anybody - and I mean any player who is good enough to pick and choose his team - want to play for a guy who thinks loyalty is either a one-way street or for losers?

You act as if Nick Foles is good. For Christs sake he lost his job to Case Keenum in St. Louis. Nick Foles was a product of Chip Kelly's system. He's nothing more than a backup QB in the NFL.

Jackson was shown the door and I honestly didn't have a problem with it and still don't. Is he talented? Yes. But the guy is a problem. Do you know how many times this guy was let off the hook not only by the organization but by law enforcement in the area? Do some research about him being pulled over on the turnpike with enough guns and ammo to fight a small army and enough drugs to put him away for years. He had 30 catches and 4 touchdowns this season. Let's not act as if they let Jerry Rice go.

As far as Maclin goes he wasn't shown the door. He left on his own in free agency. Should the Eagles have tried harder to keep him here? Yes.

McCoy was traded and maybe we didn't get compensation back that some would have wished for but personally I would rather have Matthews and Murray moving forward than McCoy. Murray had 200 less attempts this season than last season so he should be well rested going into next season and under a new coach/system I think he could have a big season in 16.

Evan Mathis wanted to be the highest paid guard in the NFL. The guy is 34 years old and was the oldest starting guard in the NFL. He was scheduled to make 5.5 with the Eagles in 15 and 6.5 in 16. He wanted a 3 million dollar bump per season. What did he get? A one year contract with the Broncos worth 2.5 million.

Chip got another job for a reason. The guy wins. He had one bad season in three. 26-21 in three seasons is the second best start after three years in Eagles franchise history. Only Reid had more wins (27) after three seasons.

thaskalos
01-16-2016, 04:35 AM
You act as if Nick Foles is good. For Christs sake he lost his job to Case Keenum in St. Louis. Nick Foles was a product of Chip Kelly's system. He's nothing more than a backup QB in the NFL.

Jackson was shown the door and I honestly didn't have a problem with it and still don't. Is he talented? Yes. But the guy is a problem. Do you know how many times this guy was let off the hook not only by the organization but by law enforcement in the area? Do some research about him being pulled over on the turnpike with enough guns and ammo to fight a small army and enough drugs to put him away for years. He had 30 catches and 4 touchdowns this season. Let's not act as if they let Jerry Rice go.

As far as Maclin goes he wasn't shown the door. He left on his own in free agency. Should the Eagles have tried harder to keep him here? Yes.

McCoy was traded and maybe we didn't get compensation back that some would have wished for but personally I would rather have Matthews and Murray moving forward than McCoy. Murray had 200 less attempts this season than last season so he should be well rested going into next season and under a new coach/system I think he could have a big season in 16.

Evan Mathis wanted to be the highest paid guard in the NFL. The guy is 34 years old and was the oldest starting guard in the NFL. He was scheduled to make 5.5 with the Eagles in 15 and 6.5 in 16. He wanted a 3 million dollar bump per season. What did he get? A one year contract with the Broncos worth 2.5 million.

Chip got another job for a reason. The guy wins. He had one bad season in three. 26-21 in three seasons is the second best start after three years in Eagles franchise history. Only Reid had more wins (27) after three seasons.

To just say that Kelly "had one bad season in three" is to downplay his failure in Philly...IMO.

Yes...the team showed promise in Kelly's first two years...and further progress was expected THIS year...with Kelly having greater control over the personnel decisions. To say that this was just a "bad season" for the Eagles is to ignore that they were touted as one of the league's powerhouse teams at the beginning of this season. Not only did Philly underachieve this year...but they were inexplicably AWFUL! They were pushed around by teams who supposedly had nowhere NEAR the talent that the Eagles had.

Kelly looked completely lost on the sidelines during some of those games. The look on his face reminded me of former Bear coach Dave Wannstedt.

Stillriledup
01-16-2016, 04:43 AM

ox6dBvvtm1U

thaskalos
01-16-2016, 04:53 AM
ox6dBvvtm1U

Was this Colin video taped BEFORE this NFL season started? He was talking as if this past season never took place. :confused:

ManU918
01-16-2016, 05:48 AM
To just say that Kelly "had one bad season in three" is to downplay his failure in Philly...IMO.

Yes...the team showed promise in Kelly's first two years...and further progress was expected THIS year...with Kelly having greater control over the personnel decisions. To say that this was just a "bad season" for the Eagles is to ignore that they were touted as one of the league's powerhouse teams at the beginning of this season. Not only did Philly underachieve this year...but they were inexplicably AWFUL! They were pushed around by teams who supposedly had nowhere NEAR the talent that the Eagles had.

Kelly looked completely lost on the sidelines during some of those games. The look on his face reminded me of former Bear coach Dave Wannstedt.

How is it downplaying his failure? Numbers don't lie. His record was 26-21. You can spin it however you want but look around the league at some of the coaches who are employed who were not 26-21 after 3 seasons. Guys like Jeff Fisher, John Fox, Bill Belichick (Not with Browns or Patriots), Pete Carroll (Not with Jets or Seahawks), Jason Garrett, Gary Kubiak, etc. Last time I checked Mike McCarthy won 27 games in his first three seasons with 1 division win and went 6-10 in his third season. Did the Packers fire him? No... What happen two years later? They won the Super Bowl. Sean Payton went 10-6 in his first season and won the division, missed the playoffs the following two season going a combined 15-17. Did he get fired? No. What happen the following season? The Saints won the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't say a team who was 1 win away from winning the division regardless of how bad the division was, is inexplicably awful. Especially when your starting QB goes down and the backup loses 3 games.

Wannstedt never won 10 games with the Bears in 5 seasons. Kelly did it twice in his first two.

ManU918
01-16-2016, 05:52 AM
Was this Colin video taped BEFORE this NFL season started? He was talking as if this past season never took place. :confused:

Was on yesterday and he's spot on.

tucker6
01-16-2016, 07:33 AM
How is it downplaying his failure? Numbers don't lie. His record was 26-21. You can spin it however you want but look around the league at some of the coaches who are employed who were not 26-21 after 3 seasons. Guys like Jeff Fisher, John Fox, Bill Belichick (Not with Browns or Patriots), Pete Carroll (Not with Jets or Seahawks), Jason Garrett, Gary Kubiak, etc. Last time I checked Mike McCarthy won 27 games in his first three seasons with 1 division win and went 6-10 in his third season. Did the Packers fire him? No... What happen two years later? They won the Super Bowl. Sean Payton went 10-6 in his first season and won the division, missed the playoffs the following two season going a combined 15-17. Did he get fired? No. What happen the following season? The Saints won the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't say a team who was 1 win away from winning the division regardless of how bad the division was, is inexplicably awful. Especially when your starting QB goes down and the backup loses 3 games.

Wannstedt never won 10 games with the Bears in 5 seasons. Kelly did it twice in his first two.
Numbers in and of themselves do not lie, but how they are used can certainly tell a lie.

In this case, I agree with Jeff Lurie. If you sit back and see the progression of this team over Chip's 3 years, a dispassionate observer could fairly and reasonably conclude that the Eagles were headed in the wrong direction in spite of their record. Sometimes it isn't about the numbers, but a sense of where the team is going. Lurie concluded that he needed to make a change sooner rather than later, and correct a mistake made when they hired Kelly in the first place.

ManU918
01-16-2016, 09:24 AM
Numbers in and of themselves do not lie, but how they are used can certainly tell a lie.

In this case, I agree with Jeff Lurie. If you sit back and see the progression of this team over Chip's 3 years, a dispassionate observer could fairly and reasonably conclude that the Eagles were headed in the wrong direction in spite of their record. Sometimes it isn't about the numbers, but a sense of where the team is going. Lurie concluded that he needed to make a change sooner rather than later, and correct a mistake made when they hired Kelly in the first place.

When it comes to coaching in the NFL only one thing matters... Winning and Chip won.

What did you think Lurie was going to say? I watched that entire press conference. Lurie is the owner of the team and is going to answer that question with class. Lurie got rid of Kelly because he didn't like him. It's as simple as that.

rastajenk
01-16-2016, 09:44 AM
You certainly are a true believer. What did Chip Kelly win? He won some games. Marvin Lewis wins games. Would you be happy with Marvin Lewis winning games for 15 years? I'm not, and without knowing you at all, I'd bet you wouldn't be, either.

ManU918
01-16-2016, 09:54 AM
You certainly are a true believer. What did Chip Kelly win? He won some games. Marvin Lewis wins games. Would you be happy with Marvin Lewis winning games for 15 years? I'm not, and without knowing you at all, I'd bet you wouldn't be, either.

Chip Kelly accomplished more in his first 3 seasons as a head coach than the current "Good/Great" head coaches did. Look at post #186 in this thread. I'm not sure how much more I can simplify it. Not even the great coaches were successful in the first three seasons of their given tenure.

Marvin Lewis would have been let go by now just as Andy Reid was.

rastajenk
01-16-2016, 10:00 AM
To paraphrase Jeff Greenfield's take on alternative histories, "and then things changed." :cool:

tucker6
01-16-2016, 10:36 AM
When it comes to coaching in the NFL only one thing matters... Winning and Chip won.

What did you think Lurie was going to say? I watched that entire press conference. Lurie is the owner of the team and is going to answer that question with class. Lurie got rid of Kelly because he didn't like him. It's as simple as that.
Your post is contradictory. On the one hand you say that winning is everything. On the other, you say he was fired because he's an unlikable guy. Which is it?

Truth is, Kelly had a winning record, but was and is not a sustainable winning coach.

tucker6
01-16-2016, 10:38 AM
Chip Kelly accomplished more in his first 3 seasons as a head coach than the current "Good/Great" head coaches did. Look at post #186 in this thread. I'm not sure how much more I can simplify it. Not even the great coaches were successful in the first three seasons of their given tenure.

Marvin Lewis would have been let go by now just as Andy Reid was.
Andy Reid was let go because his message no longer resonated within the organization. Happens in all walks of life. Both sides recognized they'd each be better off getting a divorce.

Robert Fischer
01-16-2016, 10:57 AM
The one thing Kelly did in Philly, was bring excitement and rejuvenate that franchise.

His signing has already done that for SF in the media, and if he can do a third of what he did in Philly on the field, his signing will have been a success.

Long term football success is a different story. Kaep has a bad contract, and that roster as a whole looks as though it was neglected for a couple years. That division is constantly changing, but the Cards and Seahawks can obviously make for a grueling division when right.

ManU918
01-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Your post is contradictory. On the one hand you say that winning is everything. On the other, you say he was fired because he's an unlikable guy. Which is it?

Truth is, Kelly had a winning record, but was and is not a sustainable winning coach.

You just made my point for me. He was fired because he was not liked. It's that simple. If Chip, Howie and Lurie were all on the same page he would still be in Philly. Surely his success in Philly cant be questioned. Not when the best coaches in the league didn't have 26 wins in their first three seasons.

Again look at post #186.

ManU918
01-16-2016, 12:16 PM
Andy Reid was let go because his message no longer resonated within the organization. Happens in all walks of life. Both sides recognized they'd each be better off getting a divorce.

Exactly... So whats your point?

Stillriledup
01-16-2016, 12:50 PM

It's his 'youz guys' speech. He railed on the fans of Philly for running winning coaches out of town, now they have a 'community organizer' running the team :lol:

thaskalos
01-16-2016, 01:00 PM
It's his 'youz guys' speech. He railed on the fans of Philly for running winning coaches out of town, now they have a 'community organizer' running the team :lol:
He never ONCE mentioned the problems that Philly faced this year. He kept on emphasizing Chip's first two seasons...while completely ignoring what happened last year. It was a DISGRACE that the Eagles found themselves out of the playoffs given the division that they were in...and the team played some games where their defense looked as if it was the very worst defense in the league.

If this debacle had occurred in his FIRST year...then it would have been forgiven. But this was his THIRD year...and expectations were high. I would have fired him too...but I would have done it after the game against the Lions.

Stillriledup
01-16-2016, 01:05 PM
He never ONCE mentioned the problems that Philly faced this year. He kept on emphasizing Chip's first two seasons...while completely ignoring what happened last year. It was a DISGRACE that the Eagles found themselves out of the playoffs given the division that they were in...and the team played some games where their defense looked as if it was the very worst defense in the league.

If this debacle had occurred in his FIRST year...then it would have been forgiven. But this was his THIRD year...and expectations were high. I would have fired him too...but I would have done it after the game against the Lions.

So you're saying when the going gets rough you fire a top coach and bring in a community organizer ?

thaskalos
01-16-2016, 01:16 PM
So you're saying when the going gets rough you fire a top coach and bring in a community organizer ?
I doubt that the "organizer" will do worse next year than the "genius" did THIS year.

You wanna bet?

Stillriledup
01-16-2016, 01:26 PM
I doubt that the "organizer" will do worse next year than the "genius" did THIS year.

You wanna bet?

you cant just fire coaches at drops of hats, there are very few quality coaches available, hue Jackson just got a job, people want Marvin Lewis fired, do you know why there was 'upheaval' in philly? Because they knew they could bully chip and convince the owner that he was the problem. Their average season this year was more due to crappy culture than anything chip kelly did.

tucker6
01-16-2016, 02:21 PM
what top coach got fired? A coach on a regressing team got fired is all I see.

Stillriledup
01-16-2016, 02:27 PM

Chip Kelly is a 'brand name' coach. He got hired virtually overnight by another organization and outside of Alabama, Michigan and Ohio State, could probably get any other college job if he wants it, which means according to many people, he's a top coach.

thaskalos
01-16-2016, 02:36 PM
BINGO!

thaskalos
01-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Chip Kelly is a 'brand name' coach. He got hired virtually overnight by another organization and outside of Alabama, Michigan and Ohio State, could probably get any other college job if he wants it, which means according to many people, he's a top coach.
After the Eagles beat the Patriots this year, ManU918 came to this board and declared that Chip Kelly was a "Genius". Now...if we are going to give Kelly the credit for the Philly big wins...then we must also give him the blame for the embarrassing losses. And if we use this as a barometer...Kelly was far from a "top coach" this year. As if the inexplicable losses weren't enough...the team was in complete disarray by year's end. It was obvious that Kelly had lost the confidence of his own players.

You don't allow coaches to remain after such happenings.

Stillriledup
01-16-2016, 02:58 PM
After the Eagles beat the Patriots this year, ManU918 came to this board and declared that Chip Kelly was a "Genius". Now...if we are going to give Kelly the credit for the Philly big wins...then we must also give him the blame for the embarrassing losses. And if we use this as a barometer...Kelly was far from a "top coach" this year. As if the inexplicable losses weren't enough...the team was in complete disarray by year's end. It was obvious that Kelly had lost the confidence of his own players.

You don't allow coaches to remain after such happenings.

i disagree. I think the most important thing in an organization is stability. Firing coaches because some players are butthurt that they can't continue to run their 'country club' isn't going to create a winning culture. With your attitude, you'll be here next year demanding they fire pederson. At what point do you get a coach and keep him while understanding you're not always going to have a winning record?

culture.

thaskalos
01-16-2016, 03:11 PM
i disagree. I think the most important thing in an organization is stability. Firing coaches because some players are butthurt that they can't continue to run their 'country club' isn't going to create a winning culture. With your attitude, you'll be here next year demanding they fire pederson. At what point do you get a coach and keep him while understanding you're not always going to have a winning record?

culture.

Kelly wasn't Pederson. Kelly was a highly paid "genius", with personnel decision control...while Pederson is a virtual unknown. The expectations from those two coaches are radically different.

Questioning the hiring of Pederson is justified...but questioning the firing of Kelly is not, IMO.

tucker6
01-16-2016, 03:39 PM

culture.
Given that he kept Reid for something like 13 years, one cannot call Lurie a knee-jerk owner. Nor do I necessarily agree that stability is an overriding reason to keep a coach. If he is not cutting the mustard, then he should be replaced. Once you find a good coach, then practice stability. Difference between you/Manu and Thask/me is that you guys think Kelly is elite.