PDA

View Full Version : Pet names

elysiantraveller
11-19-2015, 12:09 AM
So many of you know I'm an avid hunter and my dog is.my life... Was wondering about pet names and the reason for it?

My pets typically have namesakes. Togo for instance takes his name from the hero dog of the Nome Serum Run of 1925. While the dog backing him up hasn't been selected yet I was struggling with a name until today. I think its going to be Diesel after the dog in the French Raid today.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/18/14/2E912A0500000578-3323495-Decorated_Seven_year_old_police_dog_Diesel_picture d_with_her_ser-m-10_1447856115796.jpg

Just curious the names people choose for their pets.

Tor Ekman
11-19-2015, 09:03 AM
Had a Springer Spaniel with a big spot on his back so we named him "Spot"

Also has a red eared slider turtle that we named "Shelly" (works for a male or a female, since we had no idea which it was)

woodtoo
11-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Fine looking dog, he would be proud to be named Diesel. :ThmbUp:

woodtoo
11-19-2015, 09:20 AM
Rescued a nine year old mix 10 years ago called Teddy, altered her name
to Lady Teddy for obvious reasons. Then rescued a pup 4 years ago who was schooled by L.Teddy, named him Winston and have never felt safer. ;)
Lady Teddy recently passed at 19 great years.

Inner Dirt
11-19-2015, 12:05 PM
I have a tortoise I named Leonard after a friend from years ago that while perfectly healthy and in his 20's was the laziest slowest moving person you ever met.

tucker6
11-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Took in a cat that was abandoned in a building. Her name was Kahlua because her previous owner was an alcoholic and just up and left one day. We renamed her Zuzu after the little girl (Zuzu's petals in his pocket) in It's A Wonderful Life. She lived a very long life as well and died at age 20. Her life was decidedly better than the people that left her in the hallway crying. That girl saw the world and acted like a queen.

therussmeister
11-19-2015, 05:21 PM
I have two cats I call Thing 1 & Thing 2, but other family members call them by their real names.

ldiatone
11-19-2015, 05:35 PM
have 2 cats---brothers-- COCO - PUFFY nick names.. COCBOBOPOLOPOGUS
PUFFY WUFFY aka The Boys

kingfin66
11-20-2015, 01:06 AM
I have a dog named Max. My kids named him when we got him as a puppy. He is now 12. We have a cat named Lily, or as I sometimes refer to her, "That damn cat!" She has good qualities. We have had her for a year and a half and I have never heard her hiss or growl.

kingfin66
11-20-2015, 01:07 AM
So many of you know I'm an avid hunter and my dog is.my life... Was wondering about pet names and the reason for it?

My pets typically have namesakes. Togo for instance takes his name from the hero dog of the Nome Serum Run of 1925. While the dog backing him up hasn't been selected yet I was struggling with a name until today. I think its going to be Diesel after the dog in the French Raid today.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/18/14/2E912A0500000578-3323495-Decorated_Seven_year_old_police_dog_Diesel_picture d_with_her_ser-m-10_1447856115796.jpg

Just curious the names people choose for their pets.

That is a beautiful animal!

delayjf
11-20-2015, 11:35 AM
INDEED - that is one gorgeous German Shepard.

My wife insist on name our pet using people names. We have a rescue miniature schnauzer named Maddie. A rescued Kern Terrier named Johnny, after my wife's brother who had just passed away. A rescued Pit bull named Sam. We just lost a Cat that I rescued from the Norfolk Naval base, who I named Virginia (Ginny) after the state she was from - broke my heart to lose her.

elysiantraveller
11-20-2015, 01:46 PM
That is a beautiful animal!

That is the dog that was killed in the French Raid on Wednesday.

Not Mine.

This is Togo:

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p622/fade07w/uplandht.jpg

dartman51
11-20-2015, 03:05 PM
INDEED - that is one gorgeous German Shepard.

My wife insist on name our pet using people names. We have a rescue miniature schnauzer named Maddie. A rescued Kern Terrier named Johnny, after my wife's brother who had just passed away. A rescued Pit bull named Sam. We just lost a Cat that I rescued from the Norfolk Naval base, who I named Virginia (Ginny) after the state she was from - broke my heart to lose her.

Delayjf, I don't know anything about you, other than what you post on this board, but, I must say, you are one fine human. To take in that many rescued animals is to be commended. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

delayjf
11-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Thank you for your kind words. I'm just a big softy when it comes to animals, I see a stray cat or dog, I do what I can to feed and water the poor thing. I've been told not to feed the strays, but F that - nobody starves on my watch - sometimes they follow you home. Its a mutually beneficial arrangement, you give them your heart and they will give you theirs.

God bless, that brave german shepherd that was killed in that raid.

Togo is gorgeous as well. I always loved a choc lab. My wife has a thing for squeezing dogs noses - Togo's would get lots of attention. :)

tucker6
11-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Thank you for your kind words. I'm just a big softy when it comes to animals, I see a stray cat or dog, I do what I can to feed and water the poor thing. I've been told not to feed the strays, but F that - nobody starves on my watch - sometimes they follow you home. Its a mutually beneficial arrangement, you give them your heart and they will give you theirs.

me too :ThmbUp:

Kash$
11-20-2015, 06:38 PM
jpg.gif Image.jpg (116.1 KB)

EMD4ME
11-20-2015, 08:02 PM

Man's best friend!!!!!

elysiantraveller
11-21-2015, 01:54 AM

Nice to see some labs that don't look like tables.

elysiantraveller
11-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Togo and his Dad (Gator, right)

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p622/fade07w/opener.jpg

kingfin66
11-21-2015, 02:51 PM
That is the dog that was killed in the French Raid on Wednesday.

Not Mine.

This is Togo:

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p622/fade07w/uplandht.jpg

Yours is also a beautiful animal!

I am a sucker for dogs (and cats too I suppose). There something about looking into their eyes. I think that you really can see their souls.

delayjf
11-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Here is my pit, Sam

Tall One
11-24-2015, 03:28 PM

God bless, that brave german shepherd that was killed in that raid.

Togo is gorgeous as well. I always loved a choc lab. My wife has a thing for squeezing dogs noses - Togo's would get lots of attention. :)

AWESOME post, delay..:ThmbUp:

I adopted a cat, Felix--black and white mix who's pic is up on the forum somewhere--from the Humane Society here in town. He's been a great addition to the house, and seem to know where they were, and where they are now.

Also, in the neighborhood is an orange tabby I've dubbed Morris, who always sorta hung around the house (they always know the cat friendly ones :D) even before Felix arrived, and i still look out for him too. Going by the battle scars (Heathcliff would be a better name!), I know he spends a lot more time outside than inside, so i'll leave him a small bowl of dry food and fresh water in the shed out back that he can get too. Plus, it gives him some cover from the elements.

Like you said in your earlier post..not on my watch, pal.:ThmbUp:

CryingForTheHorses
11-24-2015, 06:15 PM
We have 3 dogs,All rescues,4 cats all rescues and we feed about 30 cats that were left at Calder when it closed.We also have a goat named Moses that we have had for 7 yrs

Grits
11-25-2015, 12:44 PM
What a WONDERFUL thread this is!!! Incredible animals, each of you own. My Yorkie, Zoe, my constant 7lb companion is 14 years old this Thanksgiving. She's deaf now, and is losing her sight in one eye. My one regret? She never got the "learning to drive thing". Damn, she could've helped with all these drives to NY in the last 15 years.

Still, she's got plenty of attitude left in her. Somehow, I'm not positive this was bred into her, as it seems..every dog I've ever owned from my, decades ago, poodle (who could smoke cigarettes), to my 2 Dobermans, and my 3 Boykin Spaniels--they've all had a world of guts and sass--only backing down occasionally . Male or female. Maybe they were destined to be like their owner. That, or I imprinted them early on. :lol:

TJDave
11-25-2015, 01:14 PM
we feed about 30 cats that were left at Calder when it closed.

Admirable. What will eventually come of this? Are you trying to adopt them? Are they feral?

delayjf
11-27-2015, 10:55 AM
we feed about 30 cats that were left at Calder when it closed
God bless you.

My cat Ginny was a feral cat on the Norfolk Naval base. The base had a bunch of feral cats they were going to catch and put down, but PETA convinced them to catch / neuter and then release them, Ginny was one of those.

delayjf
11-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Why not expand this thread a bit. I stumbled on this video on YouTube and found it very moving. If you love marine animals you will love this video as well, get song too (cool change - Little River band)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bKwRW0l-Qk

Tall One
12-03-2015, 04:36 PM
After a couple messed up days here in the US, and with the news of SB, here's a great little story.

www.twitika.com/posts/128181 (http://www.twitika.com/posts/128181)

Track Collector
12-03-2015, 11:59 PM
Even after all these years, my wife and I interact constantly each and every day with our special feline family. We have a magnet, which says "Life's better with a Cat". That is certainly true for us!

Our current indoor only family members (all in the 7-8 years old range) by age order are:

Misty (Light gray/white tabby)
Skipper, or "Skippy" (All black -- My avatar as of this posting)
Abby (Dark black/gray tabby)
Penny (Faded orange/white tabby)

All 4 were adopted as kittens.........2 coming from the local humane society, and the other 2 from Church and work acquaintances who had stray cats around their homes who had babies.

It is not out of the question that within the next few years we add another 2 to our feline family.

Our special pet friends add so much to our lives, as many of you already know. :jump:

And talk about luck, my boy Skippy "likes" the very same sports teams I do. ;)