PDA

View Full Version : Roy Sedlacek suspended for using drugs

tzipi
11-12-2015, 02:29 AM
I'm glad they are cracking down on the drug trainers winning everything. This guy wins enough and makes enough with this stuff he puts into his horses.

http://www.drf.com/news/roy-sedlacek-suspended-drug-positives

TheOracle
11-12-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm glad they are cracking down on the drug trainers winning everything. This guy wins enough and makes enough with this stuff he puts into his horses.

Hey Tzipi

I took a look at R Sedlacek from April 2013 to September 2014 from what I have on him his horses only hit the board 4 times and needless to say you were not getting much a return on any of his horses had you invested in them during that time.

http://www.insidethenumbers.net/images/comments/r sedlacekaprsepfrtn.jpg

However from October 2014 to October 2015 it was as if someone flipped a switch his horses hit the board in 9 out of 14 attempts which is at a rate of 64.2% but interestingly enough if you wagered $2 to win on his horses during that 1 year span it would have cost you $28 and you would have won $110.10 which is a 393% return on your money.

http://www.insidethenumbers.net/images/comments/r sedlacekoctfrtnoctfftn.jpg

If you wagered $2 to win, place and show on his horses during that time and were a little more conservative it would have cost you $84 and you would have won $172.90 still giving you a return of 205% on your money!!!

He didn't win a tremendous amount of races during that time but his profits were huge right off the bat.

A turnaround like this is not impossible but given what they found it does make you wonder and if you were in the "know" during that time you would have been handsomely rewarded!!

It's like he went from 0 to 100 in a short space of time!!

TheOracle
11-13-2015, 07:33 AM
The stats I looked at were for R Sedlacek at Aqueduct.

pandy
11-13-2015, 08:18 AM

I'm surprised by this. This drug is used to make synthetic pot. This could be a situation where someone who works in the barns dropped some of their pot into the horse's feed. It has been known to happen.

rastajenk
11-13-2015, 09:05 AM
I think he admitted trying it, so the accidental contamination theory doesn't hold.

pandy
11-13-2015, 09:13 AM
I think he admitted trying it, so the accidental contamination theory doesn't hold.

I see that. This is weird because it makes him look really dumb. Based on what he said, it appears that he thought he was giving the horse ITPP, which is sold on a website that claims that it sells stuff that will enhance a horse's performance. So he didn't know that he was giving them AH-7921. Anyone who would trust the junk they sell on sites like horseprerace.com is pretty gullible. He deserves what he gets.

TheOracle
11-13-2015, 10:57 AM
The stats I looked at were for R Sedlacek at Aqueduct.

Correction the stats were from Belmont and not Aqueduct.

HalvOnHorseracing
11-14-2015, 02:39 PM
One big problem for both humans and horses is that the supplement industry is not required to obtain an FDA certification before selling their substances. Firms that sell supplements are required to do three things:

- ensure the products it distributes are safe
- not make any false or misleading claims about the products
- ensure the products comply with the federal food, drug and cosmetic act and FDA regulations in all other respects.

Previous testing on human supplements has shown many compounds do not contain the specified amounts of the listed ingredients, or contain contaminants. Human or horse, supplements from many companies are a crap shoot and frankly trainers who spend their owner's money on them may be just burning it.

It appears clear that Sedlacek was hoping to cheat by using a supplement containing ITPP (myo-inositol tris pyrophosphate). For those not familiar with ITPP, it is a relatively recently developed drug that is supposed to increase the release of oxygen from red blood cells. Given that Sedlacek pled guilty, whether or not he know the supplement contained AH-7921 is irrelevant.

The information on both ITPP and AH-7921 as it related to race horses is sketchy. There was an ITPP study done on mice in which researchers demonstrated ITPP did boost endurance capacity. However, the transference to horses is speculative since the spleen in a horse releases large amounts of red blood cells under stress, thus increasing oxygen capacity beyond what might be expected from the injection of ITPP. And apparently Sedlacek's sample was not shown positive for ITPP.

AH-7921 is a drug that was synthesized in the 70's. Researchers initially were looking to develop a pain reliever, but after development any efforts to commercialize the drug ceased and the drug was abandoned. Speculation is that Chinese and Indian labs were able piece together the formula and it has been used in Japan in the manufacture of synthetic marijuana. It is thought to have 80% of the pain killing capacity of morphine, and may function as a mild stimulant. Of course, considering there have been no studies done, it's anybody's guess as to how effective it might be at various dosages.

There were a number of questions that came to mind regarding the Sedlacek hearing. In the reports the level of the drug was never given, although the testing lab testified that it had been given on race day. Without the level we don't know whether it might have been cross-contamination from a synthetic marijuana user, at a level where there was no efficacy perhaps suggesting contamination from the supplement maker, or at a real performance enhancing level. Second, it was not clear if the lab tested the supplements to determine if they were the source of the AH-7921. In fact, the media reports never identified the "oral substance" by name. I believe racing fans have a right to know all those details.

If NY had named and tested the supplement, other horsemen could have gotten the information and made sure not to use it. For me this was not particularly about Sedlacek. His intent was to cheat, regardless of the drug, he pled guilty and got his five years. What this was about for me was making sure the Commission, and ultimately ARCI, stopped looking at the trainers as the enemy, and started creating an alliance to educate and hopefully eliminate the use of sketchy supplements. Products on horseprerace.com with names like Blast Off, Game Time Injection, Numb It, Green Speed, and my favorite, Superfecta are meant to sell performance enhancement, even if the listed ingredients are table salt, citric acid and alcohol (the actual listed ingredients for a product called Hemo-Stopper, a supposed diuretic). Even if many of the products are the equivalent of snake oil, rather than focusing mainly on catching cheaters after the fact, how about we see jurisdictions equally try to ensure these substances are not even showing up at the racetrack by exposing them through testing.

chadk66
11-15-2015, 08:13 PM
time for the industry to hair test for MJ use and throw anybody with a positive off the track. Then do very often random testing on all backside employees.

CryingForTheHorses
11-17-2015, 06:02 PM
time for the industry to hair test for MJ use and throw anybody with a positive off the track. Then do very often random testing on all backside employees.

MJ?...Some new rocket fuel?.Never heard of it lol

Rise Over Run
01-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Per Dave Grening on Twitter, NY Gaming Commission levied a 5 year suspension for the positives.

ultracapper
01-26-2016, 05:53 PM
A Seahawk Linebacker is in all sorts of trouble for driving under the influence of Synthetic MJ.

Mandrake
01-26-2016, 06:51 PM
Doesn't he have a brother Mike who is also was (is) a trainer? Haven't seen that name in a long time.

EMD4ME
01-26-2016, 07:14 PM
The horse he got suspended for (or 1 of them), Bossman ended up beating me out of $56,000 a couple of weeks back.

I purposely didn't use the horse as he looked like total CRAP if you backed out his JUICED UP races.

Sometimes, if you know too much, you get burned. Ignorance is bliss.

So, for causing me to lose out on a good score, let him rot for 5 years. Good riddance.

Mandrake
01-26-2016, 07:19 PM
How much mouthwash did you gargle to get that bad taste out of your mouth? Ouch, Ouch and more Ouch.

Rise Over Run
01-26-2016, 07:24 PM
Doesn't he have a brother Mike who is also was (is) a trainer? Haven't seen that name in a long time.
Yes, brothers and Mike was much more successful. Per Equibase hasn't had a runner since Oct 2014, not sure what happened. Their dad was also a trainer.

thespaah
01-26-2016, 11:52 PM

five years. Good.
Find another occupation Roy

NY BRED
01-27-2016, 05:52 AM
This is a sad story, the Sedlaceks were a formidable family
racing in the NY circuit, with Woody, Sue ,and Michael Sedlacek.

That said, the question arises on the length of time between
the races which occurred in mid October and the breaking news
this week.

I would think, with the smaller fields in the fall Belmont meet,
and the shortened winter Aqueduct meet, this information would be made
public way sooner than 3 1/2 months in an effort to
protect horses, Jockeys and the betting public.

Rise Over Run
01-27-2016, 08:54 AM
That said, the question arises on the length of time between
the races which occurred in mid October and the breaking news
this week.

I would think, with the smaller fields in the fall Belmont meet,
and the shortened winter Aqueduct meet, this information would be made
public way sooner than 3 1/2 months in an effort to
protect horses, Jockeys and the betting public.

Yet another not-so-successful spin by a Nattering Naybob of NYRA Negativity

You do realize that he was suspended indefinitely by the NY Stewards in early November shortly after the two positives. This was widely publicized and a link to a DRF article is available in this very thread.

The lag between then and yesterday's announcement is something called due process for the accused... :bang: :bang:

onefast99
01-28-2016, 10:34 AM
That wont happen as MJ is used in many states as a legally prescribed drug by Doctors, so the easy defense would be that the person accused of having tested positive by a hair sample could simply say they were around someone who had been smoking it legally and it was second hand vapors!