PDA

View Full Version : Return of Smarty Jones

OTM Al
06-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Looks like the connections have set his path out for him already

Sept 6 Pennsylvania Derby
Oct 2 Jockey Club Gold Cup
Oct 30 BC Classic

Wish he could be ready for the Haskell but I guess they really want that BC race. Can't blame them there.

cj
06-14-2004, 12:27 PM
The Haskell is too quick ...perfect schedule IMHO. Easy first race, tougher second back, though they would be wise to not crank him fully, then full speed ahead in the Classic.

OTM Al
06-14-2004, 01:10 PM
With that long off and the JCGC being a second back I think it would be ok to let him go. 4 full weeks to the BC afterward as 3rd back. Come to think of it, now that I look at it that way I must agree that it is a perfect schedule. The Penn. Derby should be nice and soft for him. I can't imagine a Philadelphia crowd's reaction if he lost that one....jockey never seen again.....Second back he should be raring to go for his first against older and third back he should be back in peak condition for the BC.

Bubbles
06-14-2004, 04:29 PM
I heard a rumor that PHA would increase the purse to a full million to attract Smarty. Is there any truth to this? And if so, wouldn't this attract a few good horses to challenge Smarty? May be a big favorite, but if good horses come, it won't be a lock for Smarty to win first off a break.

cj
06-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Last I checked, it was still limited to 3yos...what other good horses? :D (Please, don't tell me BS...unless they also change the distance from 9 to 12 furlongs!)

JimG
06-14-2004, 04:48 PM
I think it is a sensible schedule for Smarty. If they want to generate something...A 2million winner take all match race between Smarty Jones and Funny Cide at 1 1/8 miles. In fact they could hold 2 of them. One in PA and one in NY.

Jim

OTM Al
06-14-2004, 05:01 PM
That would make Smarty $2 mil richer. Don't dislike Funny Cide but he's Gr 2/3 material

As for the Penn Derby, it is for 3 yo only, but they don't need to attact Smarty. The plan was always to run there. Its a 750,000 race anyway.

kenwoodallpromos
06-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Just give Sj his choice of post positions.
Will that be 1st back from a lay-off? 3 months off + lousy last Beyer?

sq764
06-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Putting him in the PA Derby was probably just as much a quick nice check as it was a favor to all the PA backers who were along for the ride.. A nice gesture IMO..

Binder
06-14-2004, 06:31 PM
To bad I was looking forward to
seeing him "Down The Shore"

But I think the plan is correct
Plus it will be great to welcome Smarty back to Philly Park
for The PA Derby
This is a nice move by the Chapmans
:(

Thomason
06-14-2004, 07:14 PM
There's a fine article on the Belmont Stakes in the June 13 issue of DRF Simulcast Weekly. It's titled "Pace makes the race." To paraphrase Davidowitz's last sentence, at 10 furlongs, Smarty Jones is a match for any horse in training. That covers a lot of horses.

P.S. I met Steve Davidowitz in Las Vegas a few months ago. He is gracious and very, very smart. What a pair he and Beyer must have made at the track back in the 70's.

KingChas
06-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Don't be so sure about no Haskell for Smarty.The Owner and Trainer have been offered 50k each as was Baffert(previously),to bring the Champ.Smartys going to start training again in end of June- July.Race fits in pretty well 4weeks training Haskell-4 weeks PA Derby.Then 4-5 weeks B.C. -Perfect.

Observer
06-15-2004, 06:05 PM
I think it would be awesome if he came back in the Jim Dandy!!

The connections have done a wonderful job at handling this horse throughout his campaign .. I'm sure whatever his path ends up being .. it's no doubt going to be what they feel at the time works best for Smarty and the ultimate goal.

Wherever he goes .. I am eagerly awaiting his return!!
:D

sq764
06-15-2004, 11:34 PM
If he does the PA Derby, I am there..

stgeorge
06-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Bubbles
I heard a rumor that PHA would increase the purse to a full million to attract Smarty. Is there any truth to this? And if so, wouldn't this attract a few good horses to challenge Smarty? May be a big favorite, but if good horses come, it won't be a lock for Smarty to win first off a break.

The Penn Derby might attract some nice second-stringers but the "big boys" will race a week earlier in the Travers. Grade 1 and a million.

Valuist
06-16-2004, 12:18 PM
They just said on Race Day Las Vegas that the connections will likely retire him after the BC. The insurance premium to keep him in training for next year would be over a million dollars.

sq764
06-16-2004, 12:33 PM
$1 million in Philly is worth $1 million in New York last time I checked..

CryingForTheHorses
06-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Go_Smarty_Go

OTM Al
06-17-2004, 08:46 AM
Now I see in the Daily News that the owners are mulling the Haskell and that he may not run as a 4yo because of the insurance. The Haskell isn't really here or there for me but I'm guessing he does run it if he doesn't run as a 4yo. I think racing needs a horse like this for at least another year. They have a name brand out there. It would actually be in their own interest if the tracks he could run at as a 4yo would kick in to cover that premium considering the affect Smarty could well have on their handle if he runs there next year. Of course racing isn't as organized as that....

Valuist
06-17-2004, 09:41 AM
What should the NTRA do? Pay the million dollar premium. Keeping a horse like this in training is good for the sport and good PR. Will they do it? I doubt it. Will it even enter their minds? Probably not.

OTM Al
06-17-2004, 09:53 AM
No, they don't even have to go that far but maybe $100000 from NTRA and another $50-$100 K from tracks that want him to run would easily pay the premium. Hasn't Monmouth already been known to "bribe" connections around $50K the last 2 years to get Funny Cide and Smarty to run in the Haskell? They know its good for business to have names on the card. Same thing isn't it? A real overlay situation I would think.

Valuist
06-17-2004, 10:18 AM
I think any money contributed by the NTRA would be a far better marketing ploy than that ridiculous "Go Baby Go" campaign a few years back.

OTM Al
06-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Now it looks as if he will not run against older until the BC (DRF front page story 6/23/04) running the Pegasus instead of the Jockey Club and the Haskell looks more and more likely. This makes a 4yo campaign look much less likely now. This would be as bad for racing as his bursting on the scene this year was good. Racing needs him much more than he needs it to be sure.