PDA

View Full Version : The IGGY PUGLISI Story

ebcorde
11-08-2015, 04:06 PM
why does Ignacio get so few rides? he rides for me and wins.

Stillriledup
11-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Maybe they don't like jocks who ride hard thru the wire on every mount?

I don't often find myself saying 'iggy had the best horse and got him beat'. Good post, not sure why he doesn't get more shots.

ultracapper
11-09-2015, 02:19 AM
You must have had West Mid in the 2nd at Del Mar Sunday. Me too.

He's a fine rider. Works hard for the small barns. He's done wonders for Paul Aguirre over the years in SoCal.

Stillriledup
11-09-2015, 02:31 AM
Iggy rides like he knows being out there is a privilege, he rides em all hard.

ultracapper
11-09-2015, 02:45 AM
He won the first renewal of the Longacres Mile run at Emerald Downs on Irisheyesaresmiling. Out of the 10 hole, at Emerald Downs at a mile. That's a job in itself.

Big Peps
11-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Agree 100%, he's a good rider

chenoa
11-10-2015, 04:44 PM
I remember him winning the Canadian Derby aboard Sounds Fabulous at Northlands Park. Was and still is a very good rider.

Stillriledup
11-10-2015, 04:58 PM
sE9dXL2_OF0

Here's a recent interview iggy did w Rich Perloff, not about his life and career, but about his mounts he had that day.

Greyfox
11-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Agree 100%, he's a good rider

Iggy Puglisi may be a reasonable rider today, but for at least a decade when he was younger, I considered him to be a poor rider.
For starters, Iggy is very tall for a jockey, (perhaps too tall to ever be a really good jockey).
As a result, in his earlier days, he used to ride with his arse in the air and use the wind resistance on his body to manage a horse.
Unfortunately, this parachute effect of his body was detrimental to many horses chances of winning.
California trainers could see that and he was never going to get top mounts with that riding style.
One of the only trainers that would use him consistently was Paul Aguirre.
Even then he never got the most our of Aguirre's mounts.
Over the years, Iggy has learned to ride lower in the saddle than he once did. He is more aerodynamic today.
But you only get one chance to make a good first impression and that arse in the air style didn't impress most of the higher percentage trainers.

ebcorde
11-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Iggy Puglisi may be a reasonable rider today, but for at least a decade when he was younger, I considered him to be a poor rider.
For starters, Iggy is very tall for a jockey, (perhaps too tall to ever be a really good jockey).
As a result, in his earlier days, he used to ride with his arse in the air and use the wind resistance on his body to manage a horse.
Unfortunately, this parachute effect of his body was detrimental to many horses chances of winning.
California trainers could see that and he was never going to get top mounts with that riding style.
Over the years, Iggy has learned to ride lower in the saddle than he once did. He is more aerodynamic today.
But you only get one chance to make a good first impression and that arse in the air style didn't impress most of the higher percentage trainers.

yeah he is tall. He also used to work for TVG as an analyst and that gig faltered too.

Marshall Bennett
11-11-2015, 07:14 PM
yeah he is tall. He also used to work for TVG as an analyst and that gig faltered too.
He was working at TVG as an analyst while recovering from a terrible spill. Once he had recovered and returned to riding he gave that up.
Could tell by watching Iggy during his tenure at TVG that he knew the game really well. He answered emails about riding and other aspects of racing.
Unfortunately he was too often seated along side Nancy Ury, who'd rather laugh and cut up for 3 hours than take anything seriously. Often Iggy looked more like her sidekick than an analyst.
I can't speak a lot about his riding. My interest in racing tapered off quite a bit soon there after, though I still watch Rich on Mondays and Tuesdays. I do know Iggy's a top notch guy and a hard worker. I wish him the best. :)

NY BRED
11-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Sincere person, rider who makes few mistakes.

Somehow, as crazy as this may seem, I believe his name,
not his ability, hinders him from getting more mounts..

ReplayRandall
11-11-2015, 08:56 PM

Speaking of tall jockeys, one of the best Q-horse jockeys I've ever seen, standing at 5'11"- 117lbs, was the supremely talented----> Kip Didericksen....

no breathalyzer
11-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Tanner Riggs could of been great too. but was very tall and read he had a hard time making weight

ultracapper
11-12-2015, 02:44 AM

That's an interesting post. Thanks.

ebcorde
11-12-2015, 11:02 AM
He was working at TVG as an analyst while recovering from a terrible spill. Once he had recovered and returned to riding he gave that up.
Could tell by watching Iggy during his tenure at TVG that he knew the game really well. He answered emails about riding and other aspects of racing.
Unfortunately he was too often seated along side Nancy Ury, who'd rather laugh and cut up for 3 hours than take anything seriously. Often Iggy looked more like her sidekick than an analyst.
I can't speak a lot about his riding. My interest in racing tapered off quite a bit soon there after, though I still watch Rich on Mondays and Tuesdays. I do know Iggy's a top notch guy and a hard worker. I wish him the best. :)

I liked him on TVG. I've been to Santa Anita, Del Mar a few times, Iggy is well liked out there.

ebcorde
11-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Tanner Riggs could of been great too. but was very tall and read he had a hard time making weight

Mike McCarthy leading rider at Delaware pk. was like 5-11 I think. He and Ramon Dominguez used to be 1-2 there. Taught my boy Trevor a lot too.

ultracapper
11-14-2015, 11:45 AM
Sorry to bump this as it's not one of the more important threads in the bigger scheme of things, but I had to comment after watching a replay of a race in May that Iggy won on a 1/2 favorite for David Hoffmans. He'd get his rump a little high, and then he'd get it down, which would move his head forward, so much so that it looked like he had issues with the horse's head as it bobbed up and down as it will when a horse is in it's natural gait. He actually looked like he was consciously wrestling with the issue, first, of his rump in the air, and then second, trying not to get smacked in the face as the horse's head bobbed up.

Of course, now that I've been made aware of Iggy's youthful riding challenges, I could just be seeing things.

Stillriledup
12-20-2015, 06:51 PM
The difference between Iggy and everyone else is he won't get 'out worked' for a board spot, he was just a little more desperate than Maldo was in the 7th today at Los Al.

Iggy is the anti-kent

JustRalph
07-31-2016, 12:44 AM
Brought home a 60 dollar horse at Del Mar today.....

I haven't seen the replay, but from the chart it looks like he closed hard late at 30-1

I am happy to see Tyler Baze doing well and Iggy too

Zaf
07-31-2016, 12:58 AM
Brought home a 60 dollar horse at Del Mar today.....

I haven't seen the replay, but from the chart it looks like he closed hard late at 30-1

I am happy to see Tyler Baze doing well and Iggy too

Yes what an impressive victory in the 7th today !

Z

SandyW
07-31-2016, 01:16 AM
Iggy very under rated talented jockey that should be riding a lot more horses then he rides.