PDA

View Full Version : A medical doctor comments on Singapore's justice system

trying2win
06-13-2004, 11:49 PM
I read an article online about a medical doctor commenting on Singapore's justice system. Very interesting. Here's the link to the article:

http://chealth.canoe.ca/columns.asp?columnistid=6&articleid=5836

Any comments?

T2W

trying2win
06-14-2004, 02:53 PM
I don't know whether Singapore has changed it's death penalty to the lethal injection method or not, since that article was written. I think that if a country chooses to have the death penalty for certain offenses, that the lethal injection method is a more humane way to do it.

Certainly is interesting that by striking certain criminal offenders with a bamboo cane on their rear, that officials in Singapore are only dealing with a 5% repeat rate for offending criminals. I'm guessing it must be painful and the criminals don't want to suffer that kind of pain again. Must be effective! I don't see anything wrong with that kind of punishment. I'm guessing that in countries like the U.S.A. and Canada, that wimpy politicians are influenced by lobbying bleeding-heart defense lawyers and/or human rights activists to not implement such measures for certain criminals. Why? Probably because these lobbyists insist it would be too inhumane. I can rememeber getting the strap on the hand a the odd time (very few times...I was a pretty good kid as I remember) in elementary school for the odd minor thing (I think I said the word 'hell' and a teacher overheard it). The strap stung, that's for sure. It reminded you with the pain felt, that you'd better behave more appropriately in the future. It got your attention. I'm assuming the strap has pretty well been eliminated out of the school system in the U.S.A. and Canada now. Am I right?

We all know that there are lots of injustices in our society. Some good examples are in our local provincial justice system. We've had some recent cases here in Alberta, where drunk drivers who killed somebody got house arrest. Can you believe it? Yet in other cases, I think judges have handed down some fair sentences to offenders. It's just that the sentences seem to be inconsistent.

Now our local provincial government wants to implement more house arrests for certain criminal offenders via an ankle bracelet. I guess it has GPS capabilities to allegedly track the offenders where they go. I seen a judge on TV the other day saying this is a good method, because we don't want to be seen as a uncaring society (or something like that). I suspect it's a cost-cutting move by our provincial government. Our provincial government has even relaxed the probabtionary rules for certain criminal offenders. They've stated certain offenders don't have to report to probationary officers as often. The probationary officers I believe have stated, that that wasn't what they wanted. Instead they wanted our provincial government to hire more probationary officers!

I think some criminal offenders can be rehabilated and should be given that chance. It would seem that our criminal justice system here in Canada, sure needs an overhaul. I don't know what all the answers are, but it would seem there must be a better way. Mind you, prevention would be a good strategy. To start with, it would help if more parents would do a job better, and teach their children at an early age the difference between right and wrong.

I've heard that in some societies, that they are more interested in knowing if their friends and acquaintances' children have turned out to be decent citizens with a good moral character, rather than what kind of job these children have, or how much money they make.

T2W

trying2win
06-14-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm kind of surprised no one has responded. I guess everyone must be satisfied with the justice system in either the Canadian province, or U.S. state where they reside.

Must be time to switch to another topic.

T2W