PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me why Woodbine rarely runs turf races?

grandstander21
11-05-2015, 07:16 PM
I wonder why. It just doesn't seem right. I was scrolling through the race cards for the next four days and I don't see one turf race. What's the point of having a turf course if you're barely gonna use it?

andtheyreoff
11-05-2015, 07:25 PM
They run plenty of grass races for most of the season.

As you may know, however, it gets cold in Canada at this time of the year, which may render the grass unusable.

woodbinepmi
11-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Grass racing usually stops after Canadian Thanksgiving.

cbp
11-05-2015, 09:58 PM
They run plenty of grass races for most of the season.

As you may know, however, it gets cold in Canada at this time of the year, which may render the grass unusable.

They probably take as many off as they keep on. Sort of NYRAlike @ Saratoga, until a few years ago. Best turf course in N.A., in my opinion, and we rarely get to enjoy it.

horses4courses
11-05-2015, 10:07 PM
They have one of the best turf tracks in the world.
It likely remains that way from not overusing it.

SuperPickle
11-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Unlike Saratoga, Belmont, Gulfstream, Laurel, and Arlington they only have one course so you can't compare the volume.

They take tremendous pride in having the best course in the country so they monitor its usage carefully.

And finally one of the dirty little secrets about poly is you get less pressure from horseman and owners to run on the turf. Where as some tracks have 10-20% of the horse population as turf only horses a racing secretary faces pressure to card races for them.

At Woodbine those horses can race on the main track and you don't have over use the turf to keep owners happy.

Oh and also I think they give the course a break for a few weeks mid-meet.

Frost king
11-05-2015, 11:58 PM
Grass racing usually stops after Canadian Thanksgiving.

It usually stops after the weekend of the EP Taylor/International stakes. This year because of the weather, they ran an extra week. Sunday was washed out, and I think, the course has been closed for the year. As soon as we start getting frost in the morning on a regular basis, the course gets closed.

wisconsin
11-06-2015, 10:21 AM
Unlike Saratoga, Belmont, Gulfstream, Laurel, and Arlington they only have one course so you can't compare the volume.

They take tremendous pride in having the best course in the country so they monitor its usage carefully.

And finally one of the dirty little secrets about poly is you get less pressure from horseman and owners to run on the turf. Where as some tracks have 10-20% of the horse population as turf only horses a racing secretary faces pressure to card races for them.

At Woodbine those horses can race on the main track and you don't have over use the turf to keep owners happy.

Oh and also I think they give the course a break for a few weeks mid-meet.

Gulfstream, Laurel, and Arlington have one course, just very wide so they can move the rail often. Once or twice a year, Arlington sets up 2 turf courses on big racing days.