PDA

View Full Version : Bailey

Valuist
06-13-2004, 12:12 PM
It looks like this guy has definitely taken a step down. Used to be great at saving ground. Interesting post by Jerry Brown on the T-Graph board a week ago. Whether or not Bailey was sacrificing Eddington, what the hell was he doing outside Smarty Jones on the first turn? He drew inside of him. He seems to be getting the trainers mentality that it doesn't matter how wide you go; Kitten's Joy yesterday was 4 wide on both turns and Prince Arch saved ground on both. Guess who won that photo? Like Brown says, it seems like Bailey rides many horses like he's riding a 3 to 5 shot.

KingChas
06-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Jerry(ESPN's Darling) worked his way to the top.Like I have said in a previous thread now he gets the mounts any rider could practically sit on and win.He's great with a ground saving front end trip.But when he coming from back or midpack I've seen him make some very bad moves,get his good horses in serious trouble.He scares the hell out of me on the turf.One word of advise for Jerry."Just remember all the people you passed going up the ladder you will have to pass coming back down too."

Jeff P
06-13-2004, 02:40 PM
One thing that I noticed earlier this year about him (and I saw him do it again yesterday on Peace Rules) is whenever his horse gets headed at the top of the stretch and it is obvious that he won't be winning the race: He doesn't stay after his mount and ride to the wire. Instead he just wraps up on the horse. He won't ride for third place very often and seems perfectly happy in those situations to finish off the board completely.

CryingForTheHorses
06-13-2004, 05:30 PM
I could name a zillion jockeys that would LOVE to be in Baileys shoes,Seems he thinks he is god and he cant do no wrong..He doesnt seem to care about the owner (wrapping up, not riding for 3rd or 4th money),Sometimes that 3rd or 4th money means a lot to a small owner,but oh yes I forgot..He doesnt like small owners unless you have SJ.Horse racing is tough enough and when you have a guy like this..always riding another horse besides his own in a race,makes it very unfair..you never know what he will do. My best cure for Bailey is never ever to ride him

JimG
06-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Jeff P
One thing that I noticed earlier this year about him (and I saw him do it again yesterday on Peace Rules) is whenever his horse gets headed at the top of the stretch and it is obvious that he won't be winning the race: He doesn't stay after his mount and ride to the wire. Instead he just wraps up on the horse. He won't ride for third place very often and seems perfectly happy in those situations to finish off the board completely.

Really fair to the exotics players, isn't it?

Jim

JimG
06-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
It looks like this guy has definitely taken a step down. Used to be great at saving ground. Interesting post by Jerry Brown on the T-Graph board a week ago. Whether or not Bailey was sacrificing Eddington, what the hell was he doing outside Smarty Jones on the first turn? He drew inside of him. He seems to be getting the trainers mentality that it doesn't matter how wide you go; Kitten's Joy yesterday was 4 wide on both turns and Prince Arch saved ground on both. Guess who won that photo? Like Brown says, it seems like Bailey rides many horses like he's riding a 3 to 5 shot.

Brown noticed what many of us already knew when betting Bailey on dirt races. He has been riding this way for years. Now on turf, he still on occasion delivers a masterful ride. It makes no difference to me whether he is on a horse except that I know it is well meant when he rides them. Because of his (and Pat Day, Gary Stevens) tendancy to "wrap up" when he doesn't think he can win, he is not an exotics players friend.

Jim

Tom
06-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by JimG
....because of his (and Pat Day, Gary Stevens) tendancy to "wrap up" when he doesn't think he can win, he is not an exotics players friend.

Jim

Or is he?

kenwoodallpromos
06-13-2004, 05:56 PM
DO older riders have a tendency to ride on or near the pace more than when they were younger and not get onm their horses late? It seems Russell Baze is doing the same thing.

JimG
06-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Or is he?

Tom,

I know why you ask, but I think most exotics players would like to see all jocks try on all horses. That way, I am primarily capping the horse.

You can't necessarily throw Bailey out of the exotics, because sometimes the horse is good enough to finish 2nd or 3rd even if he is "wrapping up" halfway down the stretch. Since most jocks try when their horse is in contention, in my opinion, jocks like Bailey just give you something else out of your control to concern yourself with.

Jim

KingChas
06-13-2004, 06:12 PM
I call Jerry the "Wonder Boy". I wonder what he's going to do next?Wait till Saratoga then flip a coin Jerry at 2/1 or Jerry at 5+/1.

Richard
06-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Maybe JB will do another DRF commercial.The one he's in now is getting a bit old.

Buckeye
06-13-2004, 09:17 PM
"I want my Cigar back!" :)

PaceAdvantage
06-13-2004, 10:00 PM
You really think Peace Rules had a shot to finish in the money?

Buckeye
06-13-2004, 10:09 PM
before the race I did. ;)

But at the 8th pole, I knew he did not. There was nothing JB could have done (in my opinion) to finish any higher. Pleasant Colony strikes again! Although the winner was 0/2 in the slop.
Tell that to Southern Image. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2004, 01:37 AM
Well, that's what I meant...during the stretch run, it was obvious he was toast.

Before the race, and during the first half of the race, I thought Peace Rules looked like a serious, serious threat.

I've seen Bailey ride out his mounts numerous times. Mounts that were clearly not going to win, but had a shot for minor purse money. In fact, I've been critical of him being a bit too heavy handed and vigorous on some of his rides that are clearly not going to win.

JimG
06-14-2004, 08:08 AM
As long as exotic wagering is offered, jockeys should have to try with their mounts for any of the exotic positions. It is a disservice to bettors to do otherwise.

As far as Bailey goes, I guess PA and I have been watching different races. I have no qualms with his ride on Peace Rules, but generally speaking he does not try hard with a horse once passed in the stretch.

Jim

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2004, 11:12 AM
I guess we are watching different races. I'm not saying what you said is not accurate. I'm just saying I know I've seen him look pretty enthusiastic on a horse who clearly isn't going to win, but might finish in the money.

I've never thought of Bailey as one who readily gives up on a mount. In fact, there have been times when I think he goes a bit too far when using the whip down the stretch, but that's another story....

JimG
06-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
In fact, there have been times when I think he goes a bit too far when using the whip down the stretch, but that's another story....

PA,

Check out Victor Espinosa sometime. He uses the whip way too often, in my opinion and has been known to beat a horse constantly from the top of the lane to the finish line.

Jim

Jeff P
06-14-2004, 01:14 PM
Pat Valenzuela. Despite all of his problems- THERE's somebody who gets everything possible out of a horse in the stretch. Even without the whip, he gets low, almost on his belly, chirping at the horse, and urging it on with his hands. It's pure competitiveness. And if you know what to look for it's fun to watch. Angel Cordero had that same ability too.

IMHO, Bailey doesn't have that now. I wonder if he ever did. He wins lots of races, sure. But nowadays it's because he gets to ride so many quality mounts.

Skanoochies
06-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Not to defend J.B. but I have heard both owners and trainers say "if you can`t win don`t kill him, save him for another day." Just another case of "to hell with the bettor." And what are the stewards doing? Isn`t there supposed to be fines and suspensions for failure to ride your mount out? Lets face it from the President of the track down to the hot walkers, the bottom of the totem pole is the bettor.:mad: :mad: :mad:

KingChas
06-14-2004, 11:33 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/56463.html. Read this article by Mike Watchmaker on aggressive riding.One minute he says if we think Bailey had bad intentions in the Belmont were crazy.Then later in the article he says Stew fell for old raceriding trap(Bailey).Let me see no bad( intentions=trap).Mikey I think your sitting on the fence.

KingChas
06-15-2004, 12:30 AM
The people defending Jerry now blame his ride on the horse.If Eddington's lack of focus(laymans terms- nuts)was so bad what in the hell was he doing in the Belmont?Here's three kicks in the ass-Bailey/Solis/Henning!

PaceAdvantage
06-15-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by KingChas
The people defending Jerry now blame his ride on the horse.If Eddington's lack of focus(laymans terms- nuts)was so bad what in the hell was he doing in the Belmont?Here's three kicks in the ass-Bailey/Solis/Henning!

Maybe the same reason Purge was in the Belmont, and Azeri was in the Met Mile:

OWNER DESIRE TO BE IN THE "BIG ONE"

Don't be so quick to blame the trainer for everything.