PDA

View Full Version : Even Tom Lehrer Would Be Baffled

Overlay
11-03-2015, 06:31 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/family/the-third-grade-math-question-thats-baffling-parents/ar-BBmLgxz?li=BBgzzfc

A third-grade student was given a math problem to solve on a test, and had to show his work as to how he arrived at his answer. The math problem was 5 x 3. The student gave the correct answer, and explained that 5 + 5 + 5 = 15. However, his answer was counted wrong because (under the Common Core curriculum being taught in 42 states), the way the problem is written (with the number 5 coming first) demands that the thought process used to arrive at the answer must be 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 +3 = 15 (in other words, five groups of three, rather than three groups of five). Common Core advocates claim that requiring students to use this thought process (which they characterize as employing "critical thinking" rather than rote memorization) when solving the problem will make it easier for the students when they later take advanced mathematics classes.

It makes me glad that I have all that behind me!

Vetg7vWitTU

thaskalos
11-03-2015, 06:43 PM
I've lived too long. :faint:

zico20
11-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Common Core is an absolute joke and should be disbanded ASAP. In math, the only thing that is important is getting the correct answer the fastest and easiest way possible.

If the government wants to make kids critically think then make a separate course that teaches just that and nothing else.

thaskalos
11-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Common Core is an absolute joke and should be disbanded ASAP. In math, the only thing that is important is getting the correct answer the fastest and easiest way possible.

If the government wants to make kids critically think then make a separate course that teaches just that and nothing else.

The government should first worry about its OWN "critical-thinking" skills.

TJDave
11-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Common core does not matter. What's important is smart cash registers. Today's POS systems flash a "more cash is needed" warning if a customer offers less than the required amount.

Ishityounot.

Greyfox
11-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Thank God I learned my arithmetic skills via rote.
Today's graduates at the tills in stores have to rely on the till itself or calculators to solve the simplest of problems.

tucker6
11-03-2015, 09:30 PM
I've lived too long. :faint:
post of the day :ThmbUp:

Clocker
11-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Common Core advocates claim that requiring students to use this thought process (which they characterize as employing "critical thinking" rather than rote memorization) when solving the problem will make it easier for the students when they later take advanced mathematics classes.
So "critical thinking" means that there is only one way to look at a problem. And memorizing that one way by rote is more important than getting the right answer. :rolleyes:

Tom
11-03-2015, 11:26 PM
I thought this was about the new budget deal!
But then it made sense after listening a few times. :lol: