PDA

View Full Version : All In One ( Wireless Mouse)?

Flysofree
11-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Just looking and not buying yet. But I think that I will replace my current desktop computer with an All In One type with Windows 10 already installed. Currently I have a wireless mouse and have never used a touch screen computer even on my laptop, I have a wireless mouse. I know, I know I'm old fashioned...But my question is how do you get an All in One computer to recognize your wireless mouse? I don't see any place to put in a CD...Does it just do it automatically? :confused:

Red Knave
11-03-2015, 05:15 PM
how do you get an All in One computer to recognize your wireless mouse? ...Does it just do it automatically? :confused:
It should. Your wireless mouse probably has a 'dongle' inserted into a USB port that communicates with it. Just plug that into your new computer and it should discover your mouse. If not, Windows will probably suggest searching for the driver and will likely download one from it's online database.
If it's an older model where the dongle plugs into a mouse/keyboard port, you may have to break down and get a new mouse.

Flysofree
11-03-2015, 05:58 PM
Thanks Red... Those machine sure do look nice and sleek. I know they haven't been available for too very long. Are they considered to be as long lasting as a desktop with the tower?

Red Knave
11-03-2015, 10:53 PM
My youngest brother has one and a golf friend has one too. Neither one has had any issues although the units may only be a couple of years old.

Good luck.

Flysofree
11-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Becoming a little worried about the All In Ones from reading a couple articles. Something to do with motherboards and updating... But after a couple trips to Best Buy, I am of the opinion that regular desk tops with a tower may be being phased out. You don't see very many.
One article I read on line, the tech said he'd prefer a laptop over an All In One.
Opinions about electronic products (except for Apple stuff) seem to be mixed.

Dick Schmidt
11-05-2015, 11:44 PM
Before you go with a touch screen, try to borrow one for a bit and play with it. I tried one and hated it. For some programs it is fine, but you lose a lot of precission over a mouse or trackball. I tried running my trading software and it was difficult to position things where I wanted them. Sometimes a eithth of an inch on the screen can make a $100 swing in profits.

I just bought a new desktop from HP and love it. Solid State drives are the bomb! Boots in about 5 seconds. I don't think that desktops are going anywhere, even if Best Buys doesn't like them. Go to a real computer store and check out what you can get.

Dick

It's always darkest before dawn, so if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

Flysofree
11-06-2015, 12:34 PM
You are 100% right, I do NOT want touch screen. The All In Ones, I've seen each had a mouse .

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "solid state "drives? Do All In Ones not have that?

punteray
11-07-2015, 12:35 PM
I have a Lenovo 23" screen all-in-one without the touch screen and love it. My wife has a Lenovo 21.5 with the touch screen. WE BOTH USE A WIRELESS
MOUSE!!!

Dick Schmidt
11-08-2015, 03:54 AM
You are 100% right, I do NOT want touch screen. The All In Ones, I've seen each had a mouse .

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "solid state "drives? Do All In Ones not have that?

Solid state drives are like a big clump of memory that stores data and programs for almost instant retrieval. Regular hard disks are mechanical and much slower. SSDs were quite expensive, but have really come down in price in the last couple of years. Using one makes the computer so much more responsive that a normal drive (which I have on my laptop) seems to just crawl. This is the way phones and tablets store data.

Dick

PaceAdvantage
11-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Do All In Ones not have that?Many do not...especially the less expensive ones...

Flysofree
11-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Many do not...especially the less expensive ones...

Good to know. About what price range do the solid states begin, ballpark figure.

The people at Best Buy hate to answer any questions... Are we talking about $1000 minimum?

PaceAdvantage
11-09-2015, 05:07 PM
When I was looking at them for a friend 10 months ago, there was an ASUS for about $800 that didn't have a SSD...don't know how much prices have come down since and where SSDs fit into that mix.

I wouldn't touch anything WITHOUT a SSD nowadays...they are just too damn fast and the difference is very noticeable, especially on laptops/AIOs that are generally less powerful than full-blown desktops to begin with...

MJC922
11-09-2015, 05:49 PM
If I see any deals I'll post. Nothing looks good at the moment. They're still way overcharging for any PC shipping with an SSD installed. The OEMs are milking the SSD demand for a long time now.

The prices on the SSDs (just the bare drives) are extremely affordable now though on newegg. For people who are comfortable with the upgrade process it's a non-issue... for everyone else you'll pay dearly. I guess you could look into buying the SSD separately and see if geek squad will do the upgrade. You're probably adding $350 to the price of anything you look at though if you go that route. Check the price on having them install the SSD as an OS drive and put the original spinner back in as a secondary drive for storage.

Flysofree
11-09-2015, 06:48 PM
If I see any deals I'll post. Nothing looks good at the moment. They're still way overcharging for any PC shipping with an SSD installed. The OEMs are milking the SSD demand for a long time now.

The prices on the SSDs (just the bare drives) are extremely affordable now though on newegg. For people who are comfortable with the upgrade process it's a non-issue... for everyone else you'll pay dearly. I guess you could look into buying the SSD separately and see if geek squad will do the upgrade. You're probably adding $350 to the price of anything you look at though if you go that route. Check the price on having them install the SSD as an OS drive and put the original spinner back in as a secondary drive for storage.

Thanks, I tried to do a chat with HP. They require you to ask the question first. They said no-one was available when they saw my question about buying an AllInOne with Solid State drive.
I don't have to have an HP model, but I thought they might point me to a model with a price..
I don't think they wanted to address my question.

rastajenk
11-09-2015, 08:56 PM
I have a Lenovo all-in-one, too, with touch screen. But I still use the wireless mouse. Touching things, or swiping from the sides, some of that stuff is all right for simple functions, but pointing and clicking is usually much more comfortable.

Flysofree
11-09-2015, 11:05 PM
I have a Lenovo all-in-one, too, with touch screen. But I still use the wireless mouse. Touching things, or swiping from the sides, some of that stuff is all right for simple functions, but pointing and clicking is usually much more comfortable.

The question now is: Does it have a solid state drive?

(I've figured how to attach a wireless mouse)

rastajenk
11-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Don't know. I was just now looking at system properties, but didn't see anything definitive. It has an ST100DM003-1CH62, whatever that is; that's above my computer pay grade.

Flysofree
11-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Don't know. I was just now looking at system properties, but didn't see anything definitive. It has an ST100DM003-1CH62, whatever that is; that's above my computer pay grade.

I know, Maybe this is one of those things (solid state drive) you have to have "custom made".. My google search has only taught me that if you hear a whirling sound, than it does not have solid state drive. And I doubt the stores will allow you to take them apart to look at a drive.

rastajenk
11-10-2015, 10:17 AM
I googled that ST # and the top response was in Chinese. After I translated it to English, it was still Greek to me. :D

(No offense to any Greeks in the audience) :p

Red Knave
11-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Control Panel
System
Device Manager
Disk Drives

Should show you what drive(s) are attached to the computer and what make/model they are.

Flysofree
11-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Finally spoke to someone at Best Buy... They don't carry All In One solid state hard drives in the store. The least expensive one they have, can be ordered..It has a "256 size solid state hard drive" It's made by Lenova, has a 27 inch screen and hold on tight here.... It's cost is $1499.

Out of my price range.

PaceAdvantage
11-11-2015, 10:55 AM
I know, Maybe this is one of those things (solid state drive) you have to have "custom made".. My google search has only taught me that if you hear a whirling sound, than it does not have solid state drive. And I doubt the stores will allow you to take them apart to look at a drive.Actually, many desktops have both...a small SSD for the operating system (helps everything run faster) and a regular big ol hard drive for data storage, videos, etc. etc.

Flysofree
11-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Actually, many desktops have both...a small SSD for the operating system (helps everything run faster) and a regular big ol hard drive for data storage, videos, etc. etc.

I guess I'm better off staying with a desktop over an All In one.
I just know so little..

rastajenk
11-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Apparently mine doesn't have a ssd, 'cause it was about $500 nearly two years ago.

Topcat
01-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Costco has one, a Dell XPS 8900 Desktop | Intel Core i7 | 2GB Graphics | Blu-ray Player with both
Drives:
2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
Blu-ray Player (Reads BRD, Writes to DVD/CD)

problem is even after their $400 off it is $1399

Ok, let's see they have a laptop with a solid state drive-HP ENVY 13t Laptop | Intel Core i7| 1080p | Backlit Keyboard after $150 off it is $1099-not ideal as it it says no optical drive ? no dvd?
512GB Solid State Drive
No Optical Drive

anyone see better somewhere?

The best deal and laptops I ever got was some from UCLA, they had bought about 25 latest/greatest laptops and desktops for students in a class, (taxpayers $s at work-dont' get me going) anyway then they sold them off at end the semester for less than 30% of purchase price-I bought 2-should have bought more -none available now.

Topcat
01-20-2016, 04:29 AM
Well I went with a mini tower ,they are about two-three times thicker than a laptop but smaller than the old desktops.

I went for a solid state 500GB hard drive-fast! and Optiplex 900 with Upgrade to i7-2600 2.8Ghz CPU
,8GB DDR3 memory, and a 23 inch monitor for about $525. the mini tower is refurbished but so far I am very pleased.

MJC922
01-20-2016, 07:12 AM
Well I went with a mini tower ,they are about two-three times thicker than a laptop but smaller than the old desktops.

I went for a solid state 500GB hard drive-fast! and Optiplex 900 with Upgrade to i7-2600 2.8Ghz CPU
,8GB DDR3 memory, and a 23 inch monitor for about $525. the mini tower is refurbished but so far I am very pleased.

Good stuff. I run a similar setup Opt 9010 with 8GB ram, core i5 and two SSDs.
One of the best benefits of SSDs IMO they substantially reduce the performance hit you take when running antivirus software. AV can really take hold of and bog down a spinning drive.

senortout
01-20-2016, 03:14 PM

that is a 1 tb(very large capacity) physical, Seagate hard drive, and definitely not an SSD. Mostly missed will be fast boot up times, but after a program loads, you will not miss SSD drive too terribly. Especially if you have loads of ram...stick some more memory in there if you have to.