PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Cup

comet52
11-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Winner paid $287.40. I think that's the highest win payout I've ever seen.

Also I never understand the exotic payouts. The tri pool was listed as $29,632 and the winning payout was 55,700.

nearco
11-02-2015, 11:37 PM
He was 100/1 in Australia.
I guess that is one situation where parimutuel gets you better odds than fixed odds.

First female jockey to ever win a Melbourne Cup too.

nearco
11-03-2015, 12:32 AM
Frankie Dettori has just been given a ONE MONTH"S suspension and a $20,000 fine by the stewards for interference in the Melbourne Cup.... :eek:

Those Australian stewards don't mess around. :eek:

Can you imagine US stewards making a decision like that a little over an hour after the race? :eek:

comet52
11-03-2015, 07:36 AM
Yes and the suspension is supposedly world-wide, he can't ride anywhere. I didn't even know that was possible. I bet he could get some mounts in Pennsylvania tonight if he wanted to, lol.

Scanman
11-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Frankie Dettori has just been given a ONE MONTH"S suspension and a $20,000 fine by the stewards for interference in the Melbourne Cup.... :eek:

Those Australian stewards don't mess around. :eek:

Can you imagine US stewards making a decision like that a little over an hour after the race? :eek:Rightfully so. Ours and the European authorities can take a lesson from their Australian counterparts.

His poorly judged ride was grossly inferior to Ms. Payne's (a second tier, country meets rider). I am amazed that this guy continues to get rides on some of the best horses in the world. Willie Mullins did a fantastic job getting Max Dynamite ready for a winning effort, only for Mr. Dettori to completely blow it. Tough beat for the Ricci's, as it would have been fantastic to have American owners win one the world's greatest races.

Scanman
11-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Frankie Dettori has just been given a ONE MONTH"S suspension and a $20,000 fine by the stewards for interference in the Melbourne CupHere's a link to the overhead: https://www.racing.com/videos/2015-11-03/cup-analysis-from-chopper-shot . The havoc that Dettori creates is around the 3.03 point of the clip.
Looks like his interference affected 7 horses.

olddaddy
11-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Frankie blows a ride , messes up other horses chances, gets a months vacation but puts 45k in his pocket.

chenoa
11-03-2015, 09:01 PM
And the bettors who bet Frankie to place still collect. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would buy a round if I played him. :D

NorCalGreg
11-03-2015, 11:30 PM
There was some excitement here on the board about this race last night--I had never heard of it, nor seen any race in Oz or HK. Amazing, they said it was going to be. Yeah, right.
Oh well.....I wasn't busy, so switched over to take a quick look. There was a HUGE crowd in attendance...they methodically, carefully loaded 22 horses--and suddenly they were off.
This race was 2 miles, with every step the anticipation grew...In an instant they were turning for home, the crowd was on its feet, the announcer was brilliant. A huge longshot came out of nowhere to win it all! Someone said that race compares to our Kentucky Derby....yeah it does.

And that, folks...was my first impression of big-time racing--Australian Style.
Amazing is how I describe it now.

nijinski
11-04-2015, 02:54 AM
There was some excitement here on the board about this race last night--I had never heard of it, nor seen any race in Oz or HK. Amazing, they said it was going to be. Yeah, right.
Oh well.....I wasn't busy, so switched over to take a quick look. There was a HUGE crowd in attendance...they methodically, carefully loaded 22 horses--and suddenly they were off.
This race was 2 miles, with every step the anticipation grew...In an instant they were turning for home, the crowd was on its feet, the announcer was brilliant. A huge longshot came out of nowhere to win it all! Someone said that race compares to our Kentucky Derby....yeah it does.

And that, folks...was my first impression of big-time racing--Australian Style.
Amazing is how I describe it now.

It's not just a race . it's a holiday :lol: Melbourne pretty much shuts everything down for the Cup !

upthecreek
11-04-2015, 06:58 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/661753664642621440?s=09

Seabiscuit@AR
11-04-2015, 08:03 AM
One punter had a $5 four leg all up bet with Prince of Penzance as the last leg. Got the first 3 legs up so stood to win 138K for $5 if Prince of Penzance won. However the punter then used the new "cash out" feature and traded out of the bet for a $441 collect

https://www.punters.com.au/news/When-good-cash-outs-go-bad_140955/