PDA

View Full Version : Turning the page to 2016

PowerUpPaynter
11-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Good Day,

2016 looks to be promising, California Chrome and Shared Belief return. Sprinkle in a little Frosted, Dortmund, Firing Line, possibly Keen Ice, and a new 3 year old crop and 2016 has the making of s decent season of racing.

PowerUpPaynter
11-02-2015, 12:08 PM
.... and 1 special filly (Songbird)

AlBundy33
11-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Not to add Beholder.

PowerUpPaynter
11-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Mubtaahij

OTM Al
11-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Didn't we say this last year? I hope it remains true this year and at least there is a chance of it, but I'll get excited when I see the entries

Tall One
11-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Can't read the article from work, but Dave Grening tweeted that Tonalist might not be done yet either.

Rex Phinney
11-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Can't read the article from work, but Dave Grening tweeted that Tonalist might not be done yet either.

We need to ban discussing Tonalist, unless he is entered at Belmont. Lost in the AP shuffle Saturday was the fact that Tonalist fell flat again outside his homestate.

He doesn't make a very good case for those who still think the JCGC is the end all be all.

cj
11-02-2015, 03:52 PM
We need to ban discussing Tonalist, unless he is entered at Belmont. Lost in the AP shuffle Saturday was the fact that Tonalist fell flat again outside his homestate.

He doesn't make a very good case for those who still think the JCGC is the end all be all.

Well Effinex was in it this year, but it was a pretty weak rendition.

cbp
11-02-2015, 03:55 PM

Only for those who thought Tonalist had a shot.

Tom
11-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Easy Goer, Flat Out, Tonalist......not a bad list.
But the JCGC used to be the be all end all, before the BC came along.
Still not sure it is an improvement over the now defunct Belmont Fall Championship meet....Woodward, Marlboro Cup, JCGC.

Rex Phinney
11-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Tonalist is Lava Man training in New York.

Well actually Lava Man won at more tracks and over turf too, so that is kind of short changing Lava Man.

Rex Phinney
11-02-2015, 09:20 PM
With or without Tonalist I am ecstatic regarding 2016. Aside from American Pharoah there was pretty little going on the back half of 2015.

Shared Belief got hurt
Wise Dan never came back
Beholder didn't make the Classic
I can't even remember who won the Woodward or the Gold Cup at Santa Anita
California Chrome turned into a soap opera
Noone ever really gave AP a challenge, we never got that marquee matchup that makes for massive interest even after the Triple Crown races.

So yeah, bring on 2016!!!!

Bigadam119
11-03-2015, 10:22 AM
With or without Tonalist I am ecstatic regarding 2016. Aside from American Pharoah there was pretty little going on the back half of 2015.

Shared Belief got hurt
Wise Dan never came back
Noone ever really gave AP a challenge, we never got that marquee matchup that makes for massive interest even after the Triple Crown races.

I'll give you the Gold Cup winter as an unknown, but come on the Woodward winner was dazzling on Friday.

Tall One
11-05-2015, 08:46 PM
We need to ban discussing Tonalist, unless he is entered at Belmont..

How about Aqueduct? Saw on the replay show he's entered in the Cigar Mile.

Tall One
11-05-2015, 10:29 PM
How about Aqueduct? Saw on the replay show he's entered in the Cigar Mile.

Slight edit here, but the decision to run him in the Mile, and I'll guess the reason they were considering bringing him back next year, was because they couldn't reach a stallion deal for him.

Redboard
11-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Call me a cockeyed optimist, but I'm expecting the afterglow from having a triple crown winner will make 2016 one of the best years ever. Eagerly looking forward to seeing the return of all of the horses mentioned so far.

2015 gave us the first triple crown winner since 1977; handle and attendance were up at Saratoga, always a good sign; highest TV ratings for the Breeders Cup in 20 years

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/95757/breeders-cup-ratings-highest-in-20-years

Fatal racing breakdowns seem to be down at the major tracks. At the NYRA t-bred tracks(Aqu, Bel, Sar) there were only 18 this year, compared to 35 last year, although we still have the AQU inner to go (there were 12 in 2014 in Nov/Dec).

Maybe there will be a run of triple crown winners over the next few years like there was in the 70s after Secretariat broke the drought. How about the first filly TC winner ever?

One can hope can't he?

Rex Phinney
11-06-2015, 02:59 PM
How does a filly qualify for the derby now? Does she have to race in the Santa Anita Derby or something to get points? Are there any races for fillies that earn points towards the Derby???

SG4
11-06-2015, 09:46 PM
How does a filly qualify for the derby now? Does she have to race in the Santa Anita Derby or something to get points? Are there any races for fillies that earn points towards the Derby???

A filly would have to face the boys to earn Derby points now, in any of the races where points are eligible to be earned. The races restricted to fillies have an Oaks points system as well.

grandstander21
11-11-2015, 11:08 AM

Shared Belief got hurt
Wise Dan never came back

Actually, American Pharoah has been challenged before. He faced 17 rivals in the Kentucky Derby and still got the job done. He ran 1 1/2 miles in the Belmont Stakes which was the longest he's ever raced. Finally, he was fairly beaten by Keen Ice in the Travers. That seems like a legitimate career.

Rex Phinney
11-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Actually, American Pharoah has been challenged before. He faced 17 rivals in the Kentucky Derby and still got the job done. He ran 1 1/2 miles in the Belmont Stakes which was the longest he's ever raced. Finally, he was fairly beaten by Keen Ice in the Travers. That seems like a legitimate career.

Go watch some of Shared Belief's races like the 2014 Awesome Again and see if you still think AP was ever challenged.

AP was a great horse no doubt, and we will never see another Grand Slam winner, but I take it all with a grain of salt, The entire field was washed away behind him in the Preakness, the Belmont field was slim and less than stellar, and he faced fewer rivals in the classic than anyone since 1997. AP was very good, but if you don't think the stars aligned just right for him all year you are fooling yourself.

no breathalyzer
11-11-2015, 09:11 PM
California Chrome.. can't wait.. gonna have a very special 2016

no breathalyzer
11-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Go watch some of Shared Belief's races like the 2014 Awesome Again and see if you still think AP was ever challenged.

AP was a great horse no doubt, and we will never see another Grand Slam winner, but I take it all with a grain of salt, The entire field was washed away behind him in the Preakness, the Belmont field was slim and less than stellar, and he faced fewer rivals in the classic than anyone since 1997. AP was very good, but if you don't think the stars aligned just right for him all year you are fooling yourself.

if California Chrome was a yr younger i know he would of won the triple crown as well.. and deep down i know is a better horse and will prove it next yr watch!

nijinski
11-12-2015, 12:19 AM
if California Chrome was a yr younger i know he would of won the triple crown as well.. and deep down i know is a better horse and will prove it next yr watch!
He has to win at 12 furlongs , he hasn't proved he can .

no breathalyzer
11-12-2015, 12:31 AM
California Chrome sustained a bloody gash to his right front foot during the Belmont Stakes, an injury that hurt his chances in his failed bid to sweep the Triple Crown.

Rex Phinney
11-12-2015, 01:56 AM
California Chrome hasn't won a G1 race in 18 months and he will never win another G1 race.

Shared Belief is the best horse in the world, and he has been since late 2013.

no breathalyzer
11-12-2015, 02:42 AM
More likely to win 3 G1 in 2016 then never win one agian

castaway01
11-12-2015, 08:05 AM

More likely to never race again than to win three Grade 1 races.

Anyone thinking Chrome is going to suddenly show up after a year on the sidelines and two years from top form and start piling up wins, please tell me---other than the occasional champion turf horse, which former champions have injury after injury and then suddenly reel off a bunch of Grade 1 victories? It's pretty rare. Especially with the group he has mismanaging his career.

Rex Phinney
11-12-2015, 11:41 AM

I'm just going to assume you are joking and move on.

no breathalyzer
11-12-2015, 12:06 PM
California Chrome 2nd 10mil $$$$$$ race ...... 7 months ago.. :D you guys act like this horse missed yrs of training ... none of them injuries were major enough to stop this horse going forward... horse is back where he belongs in proper care expect huge things next yr.

no breathalyzer
11-12-2015, 12:10 PM
California Chrome hasn't won a G1 race in 18 months and he will never win another G1 race.

Shared Belief is the best horse in the world, and he has been since late 2013.

who's trolling who here? 18 months? what kind of calendar do you use?

classhandicapper
11-12-2015, 01:51 PM
I hope he comes back well and they handle him properly (the latter being the greater risk if the owner is calling the shots). I think he's a very good horse. He may have been a bit hyped during the Triple Crown run, but now he may be underappreciated.