PDA

View Full Version : Very Interesting Sports Illustrated Article on AP

Bigadam119
11-01-2015, 04:39 PM
http://www.si.com/horse-racing/2015/10/31/american-pharoah-breeders-cup-classic

Two interesting parts in the story. Gary Stevens couldn't find time to ride AP in the morning. I didn't think Gary was a huge ego guy, why would he not want to see what AP was like? I did ready that he was offered AP's mount in the Del Mar Futurity but turned it down. Maybe it would have been like a kick to the gut to ride him in the morning.

The other is that Pletcher wouldn't take him for a walk. That seems like all ego. All of the top trainers seemed to want to hang out with AP for a bit but not Todd and his ego.

tanner12oz
11-01-2015, 05:13 PM
Pletcher comes across as all business and almost robotic. He doesn't strike me as the kinda guy who has any interest in "walking" ap or "hanging out" with AP.

iceknight
11-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Pletcher comes across as all business and almost robotic. He doesn't strike me as the kinda guy who has any interest in "walking" ap or "hanging out" with AP.
Im not a Pletcher fan..but come on..

"Pletcher wouldn’t do it, after all, it was Baffert's horse. Instead, Pletcher walked alongside, next to Baffert. "

From the article... maybe pletcher was being risk averse. He did hang out, just didnt want to handle a competitor's prized thoroughbred

Tall One
11-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Im not a Pletcher fan..but come on..

"Pletcher wouldn’t do it, after all, it was Baffert's horse. Instead, Pletcher walked alongside, next to Baffert. "

From the article... maybe pletcher was being risk averse. He did hang out, just didnt want to handle a competitor's prized thoroughbred

which would've been a great picture to catch.

Redboard
11-13-2015, 09:24 AM
There's another article in this week's Sports Illustrated (I can't find it online) making the case for American Pharoah to be sportsman of the year. It's good to see that this publication hasn't abandoned horse racing like some have.

picojim
11-13-2015, 12:17 PM
in the public vote American Pharoah is 2nd to ballot stuffers KC Royals

http://www.si.com/sportsmanofyear/2015/11/11/sports-illustrated-2015-sportsman-year-contenders

Stillriledup
11-13-2015, 12:36 PM

Didnt want to come across as a fanboy, can't blame him.

nijinski
11-13-2015, 06:33 PM
There is a photo of him , Baffert and AP walking together and Pletcher was all smiles .
I interpret more as him saying all the the credit goes to Baffert . It's respect .