PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Beckner nails the classic call!

Kash$
11-01-2015, 08:44 AM
"there will be a 4th jewel in the Triple Crown hes a everlasting credit to the sport American Pharoah has belted a grand slam in the Breeders Cup classic!"

jballscalls
11-01-2015, 10:03 AM
only wish you could have nailed his name in the title of the thread :)

thaskalos
11-01-2015, 10:12 AM
I remember how great Pat Summerall was as an announcer...and I wonder how a style similar to his would work during these hair-raising moments that these great horses sometimes provide.

I thought yesterday's race called for a pregnant pause, during that thrilling stretch run.

Kash$
11-01-2015, 10:21 AM
only wish you could have nailed his name in the title of the thread :)
My bad tough weekend

jballscalls
11-01-2015, 10:22 AM
My bad tough weekend

it's alright. I was just bustin chops.

cj
11-01-2015, 10:27 AM
I'm biased, but I thought Larry was great all weekend and capped it off with a stellar Classic.

gheuks
11-01-2015, 10:41 AM
It was great hearing Kurt call the races. Very underrated only because he only calls 30 days out of the year

Grits
11-01-2015, 11:09 AM
It was great hearing Kurt call the races. Very underrated only because he only calls 30 days out of the year

Kurt is one of the finest in the business. Not only the delivery but the clarity of his voice as well. Larry's, another of the finest. Listening to both calls, this time, Kurt was better. Larry is screaming to a level that's exhaustive. There's great excitement in the big races. But, the screaming in the Classic beyond the final turn isn't good. Maintain the cadence and enthusiasm--which got him where he is. Lower the decibel level. JMO

PIC6SIX
11-01-2015, 11:22 AM
I am in your corner also. Definety he is one of the top two callers in the business. I love the tone, amp and pitch of his voice and the accuracy of his call. I also like him because he is not a SCREAMER, like many others, Dooley for one. I used to go to KEE about twice per year and I understand he actually is a stock car announcer at Kentucky Raceway when not announcing KEE. Horrah for Curt.

johnhannibalsmith
11-01-2015, 11:25 AM
... JMO

A good one, in my opinion.

dilanesp
11-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Both announcers were fine, but this was a really easy race to call, with the favorite winning off allowing for the announcer to say something prepared.

v j stauffer
11-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Both announcers were fine, but this was a really easy race to call, with the favorite winning off allowing for the announcer to say something prepared.

A race with the entire world watching. Where the winner doing something that has never happened. That will be listened to 300 years from now. Is NEVER an easy race to call.

Thought both Kurt and Larry did an excellent job. :ThmbUp:

dilanesp
11-01-2015, 06:02 PM
A race with the entire world watching. Where the winner doing something that has never happened. That will be listened to 300 years from now. Is NEVER an easy race to call.

Thought both Kurt and Larry did an excellent job. :ThmbUp:

Vic, I think you, Durkin, Denman, Wrona, the late Luke Kruytbosch, Phil Georgeff, and a number of others could have nailed this. For an experienced announcer, this is the best scenario and as i said, they got to prepare what they would say.

v j stauffer
11-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Vic, I think you, Durkin, Denman, Wrona, the late Luke Kruytbosch, Phil Georgeff, and a number of others could have nailed this. For an experienced announcer, this is the best scenario and as i said, they got to prepare what they would say.

I'd like to think you're right dilan. However, I can promise you and feel comfortable speaking for the great announcers you listed. None of us would consider it easy.

thespaah
11-01-2015, 07:07 PM
"there will be a 4th jewel in the Triple Crown hes a everlasting credit to the sport American Pharoah has belted a grand slam in the Breeders Cup classic!"
Becker is as solid a race caller as they come.

thespaah
11-01-2015, 07:10 PM
I am in your corner also. Definety he is one of the top two callers in the business. I love the tone, amp and pitch of his voice and the accuracy of his call. I also like him because he is not a SCREAMER, like many others, Dooley for one. I used to go to KEE about twice per year and I understand he actually is a stock car announcer at Kentucky Raceway when not announcing KEE. Horrah for Curt.
Actually Becker has for quite a few years worked for Motor Racing Network as a Turn Announcer for NASCAR races.
I've heard him do those. He's very good at it.

EMD4ME
11-02-2015, 01:19 AM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Becker is as solid a race caller as they come.

He called at Belmont for a short while recently and I reaaaally enjoyed. Professional is 1 word that really comes to mind.

Tara73
11-02-2015, 02:27 AM
[QUOTE=Grits]Kurt is one of the finest in the business. Not only the delivery but the clarity of his voice as well. Larry's, another of the finest. Listening to both calls, this time, Kurt was better. Larry is screaming to a level that's exhaustive. There's great excitement in the big races. But, the screaming in the Classic beyond the final turn isn't good. Maintain the cadence and enthusiasm--which got him where he is. Lower the decibel level. JMO[/QUOTE
Couldn't have said it better!

chenoa
11-02-2015, 09:16 AM

Luke was taken from the racing world way too soon. He became one of the top callers in North America. I remember hearing him come over the public address system at Northlands Park in Edmonton back in my early 20's for the first time, don't know how the track pulled that beauty off. What an absolute treat that was to listen to him live, RIP.

jballscalls
11-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Luke was taken from the racing world way too soon. He became one of the top callers in North America. I remember hearing him come over the public address system at Northlands Park in Edmonton back in my early 20's for the first time, don't know how the track pulled that beauty off. What an absolute treat that was to listen to him live, RIP.

They didn't need to pull it off, Luke just showed up. He used to show up to different tracks all the time to visit. He was friendly with former announcer Mike Dimoff who often filled in at Turf Paradise for Luke when Luke would go to CD. Luke even showed up at Salem, Oregon Fair and called a race once. He told me he used to love to call races at as many tracks as he could. Good announcer. Better guy.

v j stauffer
11-02-2015, 12:09 PM
They didn't need to pull it off, Luke just showed up. He used to show up to different tracks all the time to visit. He was friendly with former announcer Mike Dimoff who often filled in at Turf Paradise for Luke when Luke would go to CD. Luke even showed up at Salem, Oregon Fair and called a race once. He told me he used to love to call races at as many tracks as he could. Good announcer. Better guy.

Welcome back BALLS. Great to see you. :)

Hoops McCann
11-02-2015, 01:00 PM
I like Collmus pretty well but a little over the top with the yelling in the big races. Prefer Becker's style.

Milkshaker
11-02-2015, 01:13 PM
"Hoops McCann" actually posts here?!?

I have been waiting for you since 6:05 outside the stadium, buddy. Special delivery.

Hoops McCann
11-02-2015, 01:31 PM
"Hoops McCann" actually posts here?!?

I have been waiting for you since 6:05 outside the stadium, buddy. Special delivery.

have you seen Jive Miguel? we're supposed to meet at Mr Chow's ;)