PDA

View Full Version : Breeders Cup Recap - how did you do?

PhantomOnTour
11-01-2015, 12:24 AM
The 2015 Breeder's Cup was, without a doubt, the worst I've ever had in my 20yrs of playing this event.
This time last year I was celebrating the greatest day I've ever had playing this great game.

All I had was the gimme TRI in the Dirt Mile on Fri and the WIN/EX in the Turf today :blush: And I really wasn't close on the others, except for a nice run by Dothraki Queen in the Juvy Fillies. But I needed her 2nd, not 3rd.
I bet Swipe to win in the Juvenile but didn't have him under the winner, who had beaten him already :faint:

Hope you had a better day than me - have fun with my money.

Bigadam119
11-01-2015, 12:26 AM
The 2015 Breeder's Cup was, without a doubt, the worst I've ever had in my 20yrs of playing this event.
This time last year I was celebrating the greatest day I've ever had playing this great game.

All I had was the gimme TRI in the Dirt Mile on Fri and the WIN/EX in the Turf today :blush: And I really wasn't close on the others, except for a nice run by Dothraki Queen in the Juvy Fillies. But I needed her 2nd, not 3rd.
I bet Swipe to win in the Juvenile but didn't have him under the winner, who had beaten him already :faint:

Missed the early P4 cause I didn't have the Kitten. Only an $8 ticket. Still stings...

Other than that hit the exacta in the turf.

lamboguy
11-01-2015, 12:32 AM
i got lucky in the classic and hit the trifecta to bail out the 2 days

SandyW
11-01-2015, 01:07 AM
I got real lucky and was able to leave the race book with my shirt on my back. Tough sledding.

PaceAdvantage
11-01-2015, 01:09 AM
I got smoked...

yesman3000
11-01-2015, 01:24 AM
did real good .made $1600 !!!

098poi
11-01-2015, 01:53 AM
I actually lost $4 because I didn't know that I had any money in my account and when I bet $2 to win on 2 horses I lost that race. BUT had I flat bet $2 on my posted selections (races 4 - 10) I would have returned $73.20 and invested $28! So not bad all things considered, I enjoyed the day and posting pics made it more fun for me. What's next on the agenda? Oh the Aq inner contest. I have a love hate relationship with that one.

menifee
11-01-2015, 01:34 AM
Had the early p5 which was nice and saved me. Other than that got killed and ended up a little down. Stephanie's Kitten really cost me - I still can't figure out how she won that race. She was so subpar this year.

appistappis
11-01-2015, 01:50 AM
had a huge friday but got screwed at work and had to work sat....played just the classic and tried to beat AP.

Track Phantom
11-01-2015, 04:32 AM
Opinions were good but, playing multi-race wagers, there was always that one race in the sequence where I took a stand against a lower priced runner (Stephanie's Kitten, Nyquist) that really hurt me. Overall, fun races to watch, no fireworks in the betting.

burnsy
11-01-2015, 06:54 AM
Friday I had Hit It a Bomb and Liam's Map and survived the day with a small loss. Yesterday I was faltering until the Classic, Effinex was my best bet of the day so I nailed the Tri and Exacta for another Breeders Cup score..... :ThmbUp:

Posted my "longshots" and others in the selection thread under Burnsy's Bombs. When those other scratches came up I felt like that horse would be the logical stalker and he ran two good races at the distance. The Suburban was a fast race where he actually beat Tonalist and he also beat Red Rifle in another 10 furlong attempt. Last out, he caught a sloppy track so I thought he would run well yesterday, and he did. If it were not for the great American Pharoah it would of been the jackpot. That's why I wait until the final day to even think about the bet, this horse inherited the cat bird seat with the two scratches an no one was even talking about him for all those weeks.

alhattab
11-01-2015, 07:22 AM
I got smoked...

Ditto. Nearly unabated blood bath.

MJC922
11-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Traded dollars on a lot of races, unfortunately never really got hot, skipped the Liam's Map and Songbird races on price, in other races I couldn't connect on any of the longshots, went Win / Place on Private Zone, runs second, dutched Nyquist with a couple of bombs and made just a little there. I was solidly ahead for the day after W/P bet on Stephanie's Kitten but then going into the classic I said meh I'm ahead I'll stick to my guns at the prices on Tonalist and Honor Code and when that went south ended up breaking-even for the day.

My thought going into the classic was 75% chance for an 'A' race out of Tonalist or Honor Code and if so the 'A' race would probably have a 75% chance to get it done, hence the 50 / 50 chance. I don't even know that either one even ran their 'B' race, let alone 'A'. Very disappointed there.

It was good to see American Pharoah make history here though. IMO a big part of class is consistency, to show up every time and not run junk races. The horse did everything asked of him all year long, a true star. The consistency aspects of his career IMO should at this point far overshadow any of us poking holes in these races where he obviously had a clear tactical advantage.

rrpic6
11-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Had 5 WPS on Mongolian Saturday but got knocked out of Pick 3's and 4's when Legatissimo stumbled and lost next race. Did hit tri with Runhappy. Friday had to survive inquiry to hit pick 4 with Stopchargingmaria. Made a few bucks but not enough to still have issues with last B C and Bayern!

RR

Secondbest
11-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Won with Maria on Friday other than that all zeros. A lot of 2-3 in exactas 1-3-4 in supers.Worst breeders cup ever.
I may be wrong but is this the first BC with no 20-1 s winning?

Secondbest
11-01-2015, 08:30 AM
I bet supers and exactas in different races which was a mistake.
On to the inner dirt

Broad Brush
11-01-2015, 08:35 AM
I lost every single bet I made for two days on the BC. I won both days
betting Belmont and lost all of that too. Fortunately, I noticed that all
of the doubles from Found into the Classic were overlays. So I structured
my bets to cover the losses. The double on AP dropped a lot at the end
so I lost just over $200 for the two days. It was a great two days though.

tanner12oz
11-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Pick 4 ending in the distaff and pick 4 ending with stephanies kitten..cleared a little over 1k for the weekend. Left some cash on the table not playing tepin which was a bonehead move.

delsully
11-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Hit the distaff $1 tri, broke even yesterday trying to beat AP. +$600 overall.

TheGarMan
11-01-2015, 09:15 AM
The Good:

Had "Mongolian Saturday" out of the gate for a $33.00 winner :)
Had Effinex to "show" in the classic for a nice chunk
Had Nyquest

The Bad:

Grrr... had Wavell Avenue on my sheet and just didn't pull the trigger.. Lost a nice one with no excuse :mad:

Simply chased "shots" trying to beat Runhappy & AP when the winners were right there, and I was stubborn...

All in all a great two days with no complaints... :ThmbUp:

G

Tom
11-01-2015, 09:26 AM
One tri box, one exacta box, and a nice single horse at Belmont.

EMD4ME
11-01-2015, 09:35 AM
I am still feeling my whip lashes

Kash$
11-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Will be eating Kentucky Fried Chicken for Thanksgiving.

EMD4ME
11-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Will be eating Kentucky Fried Chicken for Thanksgiving.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're lucky!

I'm getting Popeyes :bang: :bang: :lol: :lol: :lol:

upthecreek
11-01-2015, 09:48 AM
:ThmbDown: I left Run Happy off my pick 3, cost me $119 and I needed The Pizza Man for $180 ,but he didn't deliver!

thaskalos
11-01-2015, 09:54 AM
I played three different tracks...and I had a hard time in all of them. The only place where I could "hold my own", was in the bathroom.

maliksealy210
11-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Played multi-race exotics for the two days, other than a failed Tri in the classic. I tried to cash multiple pick fours with an multi-ticket system that backfired. If I had put all of my horses on one ticket (at less cost then what I spent on the tiered multi's) i would have been way up for the weekend.

Wavell Avenue and Runhappy got me a pick 3 win that basically made me even on Saturday. Invested heavy with one pick 4 ticket, but I singled Golden Horn and spread in the classic (but kept AP on my ticket). I had Found as my #2 selection in the race, but decided AP might be vulnerable so I needed to single Golden Horn. That was a mistake many of us will likely admit to making. We thought we were smarter than the best three year old campaign in recent memory, where he lost a race that time shows he had no business being in. He needed a rest, got it, and blitzed the field. The scary thing is, I think he could have won by a lot more.

PhantomOnTour
11-01-2015, 10:29 AM
And in the Sprint I bet the wrong Borell...I played Calvin instead of Maria :bang:

andtheyreoff
11-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Just missed a big score in the late pick 4 on Saturday. If Golden Horn had won, I would've hit the wager four times, and if Big Blue Kitten won, I would've had it once.

Also narrowly missed an early pick 3 score Saturday when Mongolian Saturday got up over Lady Shipman. If Shipman had won, it would've been a decent payout, with Songbird and Wavell Avenue in the other legs.

Longshot6977
11-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Only had time to bet a few races. Had Stephanie's Kitten exacta and the trifecta in the Classic. Congrats to American Pharaoh and his connections.

ldiatone
11-01-2015, 11:11 AM
had 3 winners between fri and sat, but lost money, but got healthy w/ the last race at Kee with the win bet and the ex :)

RXB
11-01-2015, 11:38 AM
I only bet the Classic, I didn't bet much and I bet rather stupidly, fortunately I was right that Effinex was a worthy longshot and I cashed a small straight AP-Effinex exacta to make a modest profit.

I have no idea why I didn't bet Stephanie's Kitten. That is really the thing that I'm trying to figure out. I think I just get spooked sometimes in the big races, it's like a blur of good horses and I start thinking maybe they all have a chance. But everything that I hold near and dear in turf handicapping pointed to her and I froze on it at 7/1. Not good.

Tall One
11-01-2015, 12:41 PM
I got smoked...

+1..i'll usually cash a couple win/place or an exacta over the course of the BC card, but nothing until the Classic yesterday when I had the dimer twice. Friday, played the late P4 ran 1st, 1st, 2nd(3rd & 4th :mad: ), and 2nd..

God help me, but what sru said in his BC thread makes some sense. Guess I'm more comfortable playing a January Inner Dirt card than a day full of Kentucky Derbies...or, its isolated, and I beat them next year.. :)

GLA today... :ThmbUp:

Ocala Mike
11-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Not great. Only scores were WAVELL AVENUE and the tri in the Classic where I took 4/9/ALL and 4/ALL/9. Couldn't believe I got $161 for a buck there. GRAND ARCH missing the place hurt; had a nice exacta with the filly, but no tris.

JohnGalt1
11-01-2015, 01:18 PM
I usually play about 1/3 of races on a card but I made win bets in 16 races and won only 4, but had 7 exactas, one trifecta (in the 1 1/2 mile turf), and only one pick 3, (2 fifty centers) that ended with the Juvenile. I would have won the next two but didn't play, because I thought the pay offs would have been too low if Golden Horn and AP won. As it turned out the classic pick 3 was much more than the $132 I collected.

I lost 8% of my Friday handle, and 50% of Saturday's.

Best race was the Juvenile Turf Friday where I got the win and exacta with hit It A Bomb and Airoforce.

Worst, my first 3 bets on Saturday's card were Rachel's Valentina, Lady Shipman, and La Verdad who all finished second at around 5-1.

Hoofless_Wonder
11-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Overall I lost a bit, as my pick 3s kept getting upended with heavy chalk (Liam's Map, Songbird, Runhappy, American Pharoah) resulting in low payoffs, or getting upended with other contenders I tossed for lack of value (Catch A Glimpse, StopChargingMaria, Tepin). Had some decent tickets alive in there with picks like Hit It A Bomb, Mongolian Saturday, Wavell Avenu, Stephanie's Kitten, Nyquist, and Found), but couldn't get any signers. Sigh.

Had some nice win dough and caught the tri and exacta with Stephanie's Kitten, and a cheap pick 3 with AP got most of my bankroll back.

Needed more time to study too. Was traveling this past week, which sucks when you're trying to handicap.....

NorCalGreg
11-01-2015, 03:00 PM
This is actually my first time betting the BC. I really don't pay attention to any races over 12.5k claimers :D . Why? There's no chicanery, form-coloring, distance-switching, dirt-to-turf-to-dirt angles, clever rider changes...nothing for a clever handicapper to sink his teeth into.
Then I join this board...........

I don't want to be the only person that doesn't bet the BC--so I go online and get me some "help". I get my help, study for a couple days...decide keying a horse in trifecta boxes for $18 a pop is the way to go. I play 2 tri keys Friday, keying Lea w Red Vine, Bradester, and as a saver have to toss in Liam's Map. I hit that one--paid a whopping $20 for my $18 wager.
Sat was a different story--in the 5th I keyed Taris w/ La Verdad, Cavorting, & Wavell Ave. My 1st BC ---and a lucky signer!
In the classic..I keyed Effinex(smooth roller was my original pick) but listened to the "experts" and had Gleneagles and didn't get the tri--BUT-- the great Ellis Starr -PRE Beholder and Smooth Roller Scratching outstaunchly picked Effinex--so I took that one across the board.
All in all...with the HTW board hitting 2 big scores that day--my bankroll doubled. I know I have gone over the line into the realm of gloating, so won't mention this again---thanks all for "listening" to a very lucky BC newbie :ThmbUp:

**EDIT: I see I failed to mention the 4 tri key boxes I completely bombed on

NJ Stinks
11-01-2015, 03:52 PM
If I didn't ride down Wavell Avenue Saturday would have been a total loss.

And don't get me started on Javier "drifting out" on Maria. Stellar Wind may have not gotten up with a clear run but I wanted to find out. :mad: That loss cost me the Pick 3 and the Pick 4.

ILovetheInner
11-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Started as strong as can be! Lol! I liked Wavell Avenue cold and Mongolian Summer was my longshot pick, so that was all good. What followed was terrible, with a thud. Favorite Tale saved an otherwise disastrous Sprint for me, as I saw genius in tossing Runhappy and Private Zone out of the top slot. I don't think the Euros acted on turf (yes, I know the Turf exacta, but the US group was a weak one) and was crushed there. Threw out the Calis in the Juvenile. Effinex was my get out and salvaged it somewhat for me, but I'd prefer to have a day of even mediocrity than to start so strong and finish so not.

jahura2
11-01-2015, 05:12 PM

All I can say is I survived and bet every race both days from the pathetic Bourbon Lounge on sight. (Free ticks on Friday and 350.00 ticks for 100 on Saturday)
Distaff on Friday put me up a couple of bills though if the order of finish was reversed would have been better.
Legatissimo hurt me, stumbled at the break lost position immediately and ran 2nd costing me a decent P4.
Actually bailed out on the 12th race on Saturday thanks to Florent Geroux at 10-1.
Also got to see Pharoah in person warm up right in front of me and cruise by on the way to history at the top of the stretch. All in all no complaints except for the Bourbon Lounge.

Stillriledup
11-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Not great. Only scores were WAVELL AVENUE and the tri in the Classic where I took 4/9/ALL and 4/ALL/9. Couldn't believe I got $161 for a buck there. GRAND ARCH missing the place hurt; had a nice exacta with the filly, but no tris.
50 cent splits got you there

redshift1
11-01-2015, 05:54 PM
My winners:

Hit It A Bomb

Wavell Ave

Run Happy

Tepin

Nyquist

Found

Lost $40 between both days betting all the BC races.

Just missed with Stellar Wind who could not get by Stopchargingmaria.

AndyC
11-01-2015, 06:15 PM
50 cent splits got you there

What should it have paid? Seems like a pretty square price to me.

Stillriledup
11-01-2015, 06:47 PM
What should it have paid? Seems like a pretty square price to me.

My mistake I thought Ocala Mike was saying the Wavell Ave tri paid 161 for a buck.

LottaKash
11-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Usually in BCC races, I just handicap the handicappers, as there are so many good ones that are willing to talk about the upcoming BCC races...And I love the BCC races as just about all of the connections are so very well meant on those days...But this year, unlike most years, I just couldn't get a handle on anything the way I usually do each year during the BCC and TC races...

So I "Bet a bunch on a hunch"..."Stopchargingmaria"...

Only because I was saying her name to myself, all day long, the day before and on raceday......

I just had to... 1 for 1.... :jump: