PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: October 28

Teach
10-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Race One:

I have no way of knowing this until a race is run; yet I’m leaning in the direction of an outside track bias. Having said that, my pick in the opener is Leah Gyarmati’s charge :10:, Mohawk Lily. This Alphabet Soup-bred filly has solid turf breeding that may well carry over to wet-track conditions. I like the turf-to-dirt angle…although I must say that Leah has been mediocre in that racing category. In addition the filly’s cutting back and dropping down the claiming ladder. All this increases the possibility of her breaking her maiden. Add to the equation the services of “The Hall of Famer,” John Velazquez.

Others I’m considering are: 2, 6, 5

Race Two:

In this New York State-bred turf route I’m goin’ with :5: Ack Naughty. The filly’s been either firstor second in all five of her turf tries. She did well, finishing second, on a yielding surface. Solid jockey-trainer combo: Irad Ortiz, Jr. and Chad Brown.

Others I’m considering: 4, 3, 7

Race Three:

:13: Wheresthesheriff raced a little over two weeks ago at Laurel and finished a fast-closing third. If this gelding draws in, that extra half-panel in today’s race could make all the difference in the world. This 2-year-old chestnut gelding has a solid wet-track lineage. Jose Lezcano is in the irons for trainer Alan Goldberg.

Others I’m considering are: 12, 10, 8

Race Four:

:1: Luminary Flight just missed in a sloppy track MSW sprint at Belmont earlier in the month. The ½ panel cut-back means that Johnny V’s got to get this colt involved a little earlier. Jim Ryerson trains for owner Pat Generazio. This colt had a solid work a little over a week ago. He appears ready.

Others I’m considering are: 4, 6, 10

Race Five:

:1: Rap d’Oro has had his share of troubles recently: bobbled, bumped, herded, etc. This Medaglia d’Oro-bred gelding must have felt like a “bumper car” at Nantasket’s (Hull, MA, just south of Boston) now-extinct, Paragon Park. I mean if this gelding gets a trip and can stay out of trouble, he can turn from “a Palooka” to “a contendah” (“On The Waterfront,” Marlon Brando). This gelding has faced better in the past; he does well on a wet track. The capable Manny Franco is in the irons for trainer Jim Ferraro. Trainer Ferraro does reasonably well with claimers, yet he must “get off the schneid” as his charges have failed to grace the tote board in six Belmont-meet tries.

Others I’m considering are: 7, 8, 5

Race Six: (I handicapped based on the race coming off the turf).

I think it was “Pittsburgh Gus” who said: “In the Land of The Races Taken Off The Turf The MTOs Are King”. Well, whomever said it, I’m goin’ with the “outside” horse, the MTO, the Joel Rosario-ridden, :12: Dannie’s Deceiver. This Tiznow-bred colt’s pedigree says he should relish the off-going. The colt’s trainer, David Cannizo, is having a rock-solid meet. I suspect that this colt will benefit from his outside post on a track that I belive will favor outside starting posts.

Others I’m considering: 2, 11, 10

Race Seven:

Here we go again, outside. Yes, I’m again casting my lot with a horse that has drawn an outside starting position in the 6-panels allowance, n1x. :10: Baublette was last seen on the racetrack about two months ago winning at “The Spa”. “Shug” does a great job with horses that have had a prolonged hiatus. Yes this chestnut filly moves up to face winners, but I don’t see that as an impediment. What impresses me is a recent solid “bullet” work in which this distaffer blitzed four panels in a sizzling :47.3, breezing. If that morning work is any indication, the filly should be ready to have her picture taken for the second time. The most capable Puerto Rican Petardo, Jose Ortiz, is in the irons.

Others I’m considering are: 9, 8, 3

Race Eight:

In this OC I’m goin’ with :4: Mexikoma. This Mike Dilger-trained 4-year-old colt moves up on a wet track – Birdstone (Grindstone). This colt won his last in the mud by eight lengths. Albeit with a limited number of entrants, trainger Dilger is having a very good meet. The Panamanian, Jose Lezcano (I remember Jose when he was an apprentice at Suffolk Downs) is in the irons.

Others I’m considering: 6, 5, 8

Race Nine: (I handicapped based on the race coming off the turf).

In the finale, in a race that I’m certain will be taken off the turf and run seven panels on the main, I’m going with :1: Majestic Bloom. Although this A.P. Indy-bred chestnut filly has never run on the main, I believe she can handle the main’s off-going. She has the services of the most capable John Velazquez. The filly adds blinkers. Trainer George Weaver does well with horses entered for the first time in claiming races.

Other horses I'm considering are: 4, 2, 11