PDA

View Full Version : Most Shocking Breeders' Cup Losses

cj
10-28-2015, 09:38 AM
Saw this article from Lady and the Track about the five biggest upsets:

https://www.ladyandthetrack.com/news/13957/top-five-shocking-losses-in-breeders-cup-history.html

I don't personally agree with them but that is fine, it is an interesting topic. Without cheating and looking up results, what are your top 5? If you have to look them up they probably aren't that shocking. These are the five that stick in my head in no particular order:

1) Dancing Brave
2) Groovy
3) Rock of Gibraltar
4) Easy Goer (Juvenile)
5) Housebuster

Kash$
10-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Slew O Gold
Dancing Brave
Sky Classic
Groovy
Zizal

cj
10-28-2015, 10:16 AM
A friend of mine added Officer, I had forgotten him but it was a big upset at the time.

Tom
10-28-2015, 10:23 AM
Who's the one who had the lead in the shadow of the wire and jumped a shadow letting the Filly win it?

Kash$
10-28-2015, 10:24 AM
Who's the one who had the lead in the shadow of the wire and jumped a shadow letting the Filly win it?

Dayjur

ManU918
10-28-2015, 10:38 AM
I know this isn't going to be a popular one and the horse hasn't looked great this year but for me when Bobby's Kitten lost in 2013 I was absolutely mind****ed. Outstrip was 6-1 that day who beat him and should have been 40-1 and the second place horse Giovanni Boldini was 4-1 should have been 20-1. Outstrip hasn't won since in like 15 attempts...

Bobby was much the best in that race but Castellano gave him one of the worst rides I've ever seen.. 22 and 1 in the opening quarter... ****ing idiot. The fastest quarter in the history of the race and Bobby was so good that with 100 yards left he was still in the lead and ultimately only lost the race by 1.5 lengths.

cj
10-28-2015, 10:44 AM
I know this isn't going to be a popular one and the horse hasn't looked great this year but for me when Bobby's Kitten lost in 2013 I was absolutely mind****ed. Outstrip was 6-1 that day who beat him and should have been 40-1 and the second place horse Giovanni Boldini was 4-1 should have been 20-1. Outstrip hasn't won since in like 15 attempts...

Bobby was much the best in that race but Castellano gave him one of the worst rides I've ever seen.. 22 and 1 in the opening quarter... ****ing idiot. The fastest quarter in the history of the race and Bobby was so good that with 100 yards left he was still in the lead and ultimately only lost the race by 1.5 lengths.

I think that was certainly an upset, just wouldn't put it way up there on my list.

Spalding No!
10-28-2015, 10:47 AM
No particular order:

1) Easy Goer '89 Classic
2) Riboletta '00 Distaff
3) Goldikova '11 Mile
4) Sightseek '03 Distaff
5) Kitten's Joy '04 Turf or Dylan Thomas '07 Turf

nearco
10-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Ouija Board's loss in her 2nd FM Turf run. 99 times out of 100 she beats that filly.

Dancing Brave.

Don't think Dylan Thomas was a shock. Definitely the class of the field, but hated soft ground. Almost didn't run in the Arc that year because of the ground.

The sprinter from San Francisco (name escapes me). Bombed in the BC Sprint. Turns out later he had cancer, but still a huge shock on the day.

The Judge
10-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Without looking Riboletta comes to mind Surfside and Spain stole the show at large odds. What about Rubiano?

Horse from San Francisco was Lost In the Fog.

ronsmac
10-28-2015, 01:21 PM
A friend of mine added Officer, I had forgotten him but it was a big upset at the time.
Officer was the best 1 turn 2yo I've ever seen. With that said, he was a total toss for me in the B.cup. He loved the outside stalking trip with the swoop on the turn. There was a pro outside bias at Belmont all week and he had a bad post. Tempera was my bet of the day. Shocking losses to me were. 1. Slew o gold , bad foot and all. 2. Dancing Brave 3. Rock of Gibraltar 4.Riboletta 5. Skip away

Hoofless_Wonder
10-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Easy Goer in both his Breeder's Cups.

1988 - Indian Skimmer - didn't like the rubber bridle and wrong way turns. I thought she'd stretch out and after beating Miesque and plenty of other G1 horses in Europe, I thought she'd walk.

OTM Al
10-28-2015, 04:29 PM
Ouija Board's loss in her 2nd FM Turf run. 99 times out of 100 she beats that filly.

Dancing Brave.

Don't think Dylan Thomas was a shock. Definitely the class of the field, but hated soft ground. Almost didn't run in the Arc that year because of the ground.

The sprinter from San Francisco (name escapes me). Bombed in the BC Sprint. Turns out later he had cancer, but still a huge shock on the day.

Was going to say Ouija Board but remember she wasn't right most of that year and was just starting to come back to form for that race. If i remember she went to HK and won the Vase that year.

The sprinter was Lost in the Fog. I liked him a lot too. He won a G3 the next year with a huge tumor in his body. I think he had an excuse. Have a copy of the documentary about him and just can't watch it.

no breathalyzer
10-28-2015, 04:30 PM
Liam's Map :D

depalma113
10-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Rock of Gibralter in the 2002 Mile.

Sorry didn't see it on your list.

SuperPickle
10-28-2015, 06:32 PM
So Housebuster holds the title of being the heaviest favorite to ever lose. He was 2-5. I believe he's also the second heaviest favorite in history. Meadow Star was 1-5 and won.

Riboletta might be the second heaviest she was something like 3-5 when Spain beat her.

tanner12oz
10-28-2015, 07:00 PM
Court vision winning

horses4courses
10-28-2015, 07:12 PM
There were plenty of people betting the 1996 BC Classic
who didn't realize Cigar was not quite the same horse he had been previously.
I played a handful of horses in futures to beat him,
and among them was the winner Alphabet Soup.

Cigar did run a fine race to be beaten into third by only half a length.
At his best, though, he would have taken that race handily.
Lucky for me, Louis Quatorze came up a nose short, too.
I never took a shine to that horse, and it cost me more than once.

nijinski
10-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Volponi shocked many people and of course so did the betting scandal. Medaglia D'Oro was not a mortal lock but there were a few in the field who were getting some play. I happened to. Like him and made a show bet , didn't expect the win, I admit I was betting on PG Johnson one of may favorite grass trainers and I thought PG was in the Classic to hit the board , darn good old fashioned trainer but big suriprise for most . Who can forget that fiasco . .

Lemon Drop Husker
10-28-2015, 07:41 PM
I've spent so much time and energy wagering against the "unbeatable chalk" in BC races that I honestly can't recall any, if many.

I can recall a couple of dozen horses I wagered to beat them? Does that work?

bks
10-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Liam's Map :D

Was just about to post this :)

dilanesp
10-29-2015, 04:13 PM
I think the first Easy Goer loss, to Is It True, whom he had been beating soundly in New York, was the biggest surprise.

And Groovy's first Sprint, 3 weeks off of a big win in the Ancient Title, was a big surprise.

Some of these others were just overbet favorites, not surprises. Groovy and Easy Goer the second time both were overbet and lost to superior horses (in Easy Goer's case, a horse who had beaten him twice already). Cigar had tailed off when he lost to Alphabet Soup. Etc.

In a certain way, Bertrando losing to Arcangues is one of the biggest surprises in racing history. But that wasn't quite what the question asked.

PaceAdvantage
10-30-2015, 03:16 PM
You really thought I'd keep that post up EMD? Take a deep breath man...

PhantomOnTour
10-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Mark Of Esteem was a pretty big surprise, losing the BrCup Mile

handyman1968
10-30-2015, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't put Ouija Board and Goldikova as upsets as both horses weren't in the type of form as in previous campaigns.

iceknight
10-30-2015, 08:20 PM
Curlin's loss in 2008? It was at least shocking for the announcer !

EMD4ME
10-30-2015, 09:21 PM
You really thought I'd keep that post up EMD? Take a deep breath man...

OK, I did. Hence why I haven't posted for a few hours. Plus, betting 2 tracks made me dizzy today :blush: .

May I please ask for 1 favor though?

If AP loses, can you please put it back up? :lol:

PaceAdvantage
10-31-2015, 12:12 PM
OK, I did. Hence why I haven't posted for a few hours. Plus, betting 2 tracks made me dizzy today :blush: .

May I please ask for 1 favor though?

If AP loses, can you please put it back up? :lol:YES! I saved your post (did not completely delete it)...you got a deal!