PDA

View Full Version : HBO Documentary - Jabbar

Ocala Mike
10-26-2015, 12:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Gv26wfzVs

Definitely going to watch this. Saw him play as Lew Alcindor for Power Memorial HS in the early 60's at MSG. Game preceded an NBA game (Knicks), and half the crowd left after the HS game ended.

Stillriledup
10-26-2015, 02:10 PM
DR J was on a center stage interview not too long ago and said Jabbar was the GOAT.

FantasticDan
10-26-2015, 02:14 PM
:cool: :ThmbUp:

ArHNrCvwq4c

Stillriledup
10-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Great vid clip, I hadn't seen that before. :D

BettinBilly
10-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Almost makes me want to get HBO back to check that out. HBO and sometimes Showtime have some really great Sports specials at times.

But I've sworn off movie channels. My money goes into the Sports package at U-Verse, and/or Oceanic Cable.

wisconsin
10-27-2015, 11:33 PM
:cool: :ThmbUp:

ArHNrCvwq4c

Then they made this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4F9_H9MqEc

wisconsin
10-27-2015, 11:35 PM
And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v5WAxj5U5A

thaskalos
10-28-2015, 12:45 AM
And let's not forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ic2k2P_FG0

ManU918
11-17-2015, 08:33 AM
Just watched this... It was great... Definitely recommend it.

Tor Ekman
11-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Great player, also a great hypocrite. From Phil Mushnick in the NY Post:
HBO’s Kareem Abdul-Jabbar documentary, while well-produced and loaded with neat pictures and video, clearly traded on Abdul-Jabbar’s presence and cooperation to create a portrayal that met with his full approval rather than include unsightly truths. Presented as a man of unyielding dignity and principles, his frequent sellouts of both went missing.

Although he wrote in his autobiography that he credits his 20-year NBA longevity to wearing low-cut sneakers — high-tops, he claimed, transferred shock to the knees, “the great nemesis of the basketball player,” boasting that he was “Galileo out there on this.”

Galileo, my foot. He came to do TV commercial endorsements for fashionable, expensive, Third World-made Reebok high-tops.

He also wrote in his autobiography that he rejected all alcoholic beverages, not just as a Muslim, but in his recognition of booze as an enemy of civilized societies.

And then he appeared in TV commercials for Coors beer.

The NYC Dept. of Consumer Affairs cited Abdul-Jabbar for false advertising, specifically for endorsing a product — beer — that he not only doesn’t use but personally and publicly, as per his sold book, condemns.

He also sold his name, fame and dignity to the scam-infested 1990s rage that pitched newly produced, unregulated sports trading cards as get-rich-quick rare collectibles. From the set of a home shopping network, Abdul-Jabbar congratulated children for the “entrepreneurial spirit” he witnessed at card and autograph shows. It was nauseating, but a payday.

There’s more where those came from, but with none of it lending rhyme to the overall theme of the HBO documentary on Abdul-Jabbar, none of it was included.

ronsmac
11-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Most of these guys are sellouts and hypocrites. I remember Mark Mcgwire saying he would never eat McDonald's . Yet did commercials for them and even had the Mcgwire baseball with his picture on it for 3.99 if you bought a big mac meal.

Robert Fischer
11-17-2015, 12:29 PM

Yea. He's human.

It's easy to miss the boat with Kareem.

He's one of basketball's all-time great big men.

Other than that, his personality and interests are nice footnotes for those who want a deeper, more personal look, but they are extraneous.

wisconsin
11-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Most of these guys are sellouts and hypocrites. I remember Mark Mcgwire saying he would never eat McDonald's . Yet did commercials for them and even had the Mcgwire baseball with his picture on it for 3.99 if you bought a big mac meal.

Gilbert Brown of the Packers had the Gilbert Brown burger at McDonalds with the classic "hold the pickles" line and then 2 years later he's hawking Milwaukee Pickles.