PDA

View Full Version : Monticello: October 26

Teach
10-26-2015, 09:31 AM
Monticello Raceway:

Yes, I was there many years ago. They ran evening cards. I would occasionally make the trek from Manhasset, LI, NY (where I was living and teaching) about 100 miles up the Catskills (ah, Route #17) to play the Monticello card. Before you say: “Tu sei pazzo!” You’re right. I was nuts! Was. I’d get back to my apartment about 1 a.m. About six or seven hours later I was teaching social studies at Manhasset Jr.-Sr. High School. Automatic Pilot. This was in the mid-to-late 1960s.

In August, 1968, my friend and I went to a Catskills “Singles Week” at a resort called Grossingers. When I returned, my mother asked, “Did you meet anyone?” I told her “No.” I then added, “It wan’t a total loss.” I had come back with six Grossingers tee-shirts that I won playing volleyball. Oh, during that week I did make my way to track – on a date, no less. Entertainment-wise, the headliner that week was Joan Rivers: “A girl, she’s 30…she’s not married, she’s “an old maid”. A guy, he’s 90…he’s not married, he’s “a catch!”

Well, I've studied today’s Monticello 10-race card. I’ve made my picks. I then compared my choices to the most capable harness racing handicapper, “Catskills Steve”. In my next post, I’ll tell you where we were in sync…and where we differed.

Finally, hello to Monticello’s Assistant General Manager, Scott Wiles. Scott and I periodically talked when I had a website called: “The Harness Maven”. See in a few….

bello
10-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Bringing back memories again teach. I lived in Monroe NY in '80s and 90s. 45 miles to Monti and was here twice a week. I lived it, breather it and actually made money there. My fried wanted a down payment on a house and I told him to bet my selections for 6 months and he will earn it. He did.

But without getting into details, the races were becoming as fixed as one would ever see when this certain NJ contingent took over the racing there and the then GM Sully and the judges turned a blind eye to it all. I made my last bet there around the year 2000. But, you have me temped to pick up a program today. Not to bet, but to compare and see how I do.

Teach
10-26-2015, 12:43 PM
I’m comparin’ my picks to the ace Monticello handicapper, “Catskills Steve”. I made my picks before I looked at Steve’s choices. By and large…we are in agreement. You can glim “Catskill’s Steve’s” picks on the Monticello Raceway website. He’s an outstanding handicapper. Enjoy, as I won’t be doing this side-by-side approach in the future.

Race One: In the first race, both Steve and I like the #6 SuperiorCourt. This trotter tied his lifetime mark in his last pari-mutuel effort with a wire-to-wire job at Monticello. Jim Taggart, Jr. is a solid reinsman with a UDR above.300. I guess my only concern is the rail horse, #1 Touch Her Muscles. She has early speed and has won at this level in the past. If Mike Merton can get her out (as always, avoid the “Monticello Fox-Trot,” a.k.a “break”) and in contention, well, she might sit “The Garden Spot” and be in a perfect stalking position. I also like the #s 2 and 4 that Steve has picked; yet I believe Jimmy Devaux aged gelding, #3 My Buddy Chimo, is capable of hitting the tote.

Race Two: Here’s where we differ. Steve’s got: 2-6-1-7 (check out his rationale on “Monty’s” website). I personally see this race as open-ended. I’m putting #1 JV’Z Dream on top. I like his closing kick in his last. Others I’m considering are #s 2, 6, and 4.

Race Three: We’re in complete concurrence here. The big question is what can Bruce Aldrich, Jr. do from the outside #8 starting post? I’ve put this horse on top. Actually, we’ve both cited the same four horses: #s 8, 2, 1, 3 with slightly different orders of finish. If I play a super, I might hedge by adding the #4 to the mix.

Race Four: There’s disagreement here. Oh, I like some of Steve’s picks. He’s put the 33 Burlesque on top. I’ve got her down in the three or four slot on the tote. This mare had the perfecxt trip in her last. I’m not quite sure she’s gonna get the same set up here. My top pick is a longshot, another Mike Merton-piloted horse, #5 KZ Bezz. This aged mare just missed in her last. Any slight improvement could find this mare in the winner’s circle. I’ve got the #s 4, 1 and 3 underneath (horses that Steve has cited). My mystery horse is #6 Martha Michelle. Solid times at Saratoga (a faster track).

Race Five: There’s concurrence in the fifth race. #5 Little Annie Mae. She needed her last after missing a week after shipping in from Ohio. Behind her there’s agreement on the #s 4, 3, amd 2. I’m tossing in the #1 as a saver.

Race Six: There’s disagreement here. Steve has put 6 Baltimor As on top. I can see the thinking; he certainly holds a class edge on these. Oh, I’m using him, but I’ve put the deuce, #2 Foggy Lane K on top. Others I’m using are: #s 5, 4, 1. There’s a general agreement here although I believe #4 has a chance of hitting the tote.

Race Seven: Again a difference of opinion. Steve has opted for #6 Future Life. I like that pick; I’ve got him second. My top pick is #3 Rusty’s Treasure with Jimmy Devaux. I like the #s 1, 2, and 5 underneath. Steve has the “inside” horses.

Race Eight: There’s general agreement in this race. “Catskill’s Steve” has: #s 1, 2, 4, 5. I’ve opted for: #s 2, 1, 3, 5, 4

Race Nine: There’s concurrence on #7 Nora Lee. A solid qualifying win. Behind her I’ve got #s 2, 4, 3 and 5. Steve’s underneath horses are: #s 4, 5, 2.

Race Ten: In the Monticello finale, I’m again picking the #7 horse, Grace N Charlie with Bruce Aldrich, Jr. This 10-year old trotter has been rock solid. Underneath: #s 3, 1, 2, 4. There’s general agreement here with Catskill’s Steve opting for the rail horse, #1 Protégé Seelster.

bello
10-26-2015, 12:46 PM
Race 1 6/13 P3 136/16/28
Race 2 6-1 P3 16/28/34
Race 3 2-8 P3 28/34/145
Race 4 4-3 P3 34/145/26
Race 5 1/45 P3 45/26/1236
Race 6 6-2 P3 26/1236/12
Race 7 6/123 P3 1236 12/45
Race 8 1-2 p3 12/45/137
Race 9 4-5
Race 10 1/37