PDA

View Full Version : Question about Exotic results files

railbird
10-25-2015, 07:25 PM
I have race files with matching exotic result files however I cannot open the

xfiles with any thing I now have on my PC , could someone direct me to a

program or a solution so that I could read the results..

thanks
railbird

TexasDolly
10-25-2015, 07:37 PM
I have race files with matching exotic result files however I cannot open the

xfiles with any thing I now have on my PC , could someone direct me to a

program or a solution so that I could read the results..

thanks
railbird

You will need to run an unzip program (winzip,pkunzip etc) to unzip(extract) the exotic file.
The extracted file will be a comma delimited file which can be read with wordpad ,notepad etc. The data will be arranged in fields described by Bris in the Bris file format definition for the exotic results file. If you don't need any thing but the results just go to Bris and look at the free results files or the free chart files. I think the charts contain almost all of the data the Xfiles do.
Thank you,
TD

railbird
10-25-2015, 07:49 PM
thanks but these files are older than what they have listed , and notepad ..........forgetabout it

raybo
10-25-2015, 08:12 PM
thanks but these files are older than what they have listed , and notepad ..........forgetabout it

What are you wanting to do with the .xrd files? If you want to be able to follow the mapping from Brisnet, you will need to open it in Excel or any spreadsheet that will open comma delimited files, and has at least 1435 columns in it. If you just open the comma delimited files in a text editor (Wordpad, NotePad, Word, etc.) all you will see is data (data fields) separated by commas and it will just be a big jumble of data with no organization. A spreadsheet app will organize the data with the 1st field in the file located in cell A1 in the spreadsheet, 2nd field in cell B1, etc.. Each horse's data will occupy one row in the spreadsheet.

TexasDolly
10-25-2015, 10:16 PM
What are you wanting to do with the .xrd files? If you want to be able to follow the mapping from Brisnet, you will need to open it in Excel or any spreadsheet that will open comma delimited files, and has at least 1435 columns in it. If you just open the comma delimited files in a text editor (Wordpad, NotePad, Word, etc.) all you will see is data (data fields) separated by commas and it will just be a big jumble of data with no organization. A spreadsheet app will organize the data with the 1st field in the file located in cell A1 in the spreadsheet, 2nd field in cell B1, etc.. Each horse's data will occupy one row in the spreadsheet.

Raybo, The exotic files are less than 50 fields as I remember. I am curious too as to what he actually needs from the xfiles . I don't think he understands about unzipping them first since I have looked at plenty of them with notepad etc . Any text editor will open the unzipped file.
A copy of multicaps from Bris will process the data files (1435 fields ) and the exotic results as well for another solution.
Thank you,
TD

raybo
10-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Raybo, The exotic files are less than 50 fields as I remember. I am curious too as to what he actually needs from the xfiles . I don't think he understands about unzipping them first since I have looked at plenty of them with notepad etc . Any text editor will open the unzipped file.
A copy of multicaps from Bris will process the data files (1435 fields ) and the exotic results as well for another solution.
Thank you,
TD

You're right, I was thinking of the card files. I believe what he meant by "forget about it" was the mess you see when you open csv files in a text editor. Surely he knows the zip files have to be unzipped before using them.

If he has Excel 2007 or later the card files will open in there also, with each horse's data, in each race, occupying a single row in Excel. pre-2007 Excel only has 255 columns so the card files are too large (too many fields - 1435) to open fully in those versions.

The Exotic Results files don't have nearly as much data as the charts. No fractional positions, no beaten lengths, etc.. I use them just to get the payouts and finish positions.

railbird
10-26-2015, 12:30 PM
True the regular result files have tons more info but I have a slew of xfiles

raybo
10-26-2015, 12:47 PM
True the regular result files have tons more info but I have a slew of xfiles

You still haven't said what you want to do with all those .xrd files. Do you also have lots of .drf or .mcp card files to match up with those files? Do you have a version of Excel on your computer? If so, you can download the free "AllData J1" workbook and import those card and results files, together, even in batch processing mode.

I'm just wondering what you're trying to do. Otherwise, why hold onto those files? If you're wanting to do historical research, Excel is the perfect platform for that. If you don't have Excel just PM your email address to me, I can help.

railbird
10-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Yes I do have the matching files . I am regrouping from a very weird and

uncanny losing streak ,so I will slow down and do a little research.

thanks.

raybo
10-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Yes I do have the matching files . I am regrouping from a very weird and

uncanny losing streak ,so I will slow down and do a little research.

thanks.

Been there, done that! My personal story, regarding that kind of losing streak, is that the problem was ME, not my methods. You may find the same thing is true in your case. When you go through a period where everything is aces, straights, and flushes, you have a tendency to get complacent, start relying on the method to do all the work, until it stops. Any due diligence you were doing during the good times gets forgotten or downplayed, in your mind. And, you develop bad habits that soon jump up and bite you in the butt. The best thing you can do is take a break, then after an appropriate period of time, go back and evaluate what you were doing when things were good, and also what you were doing, or not doing, during the losing streak. I'd bet you'll find that what you were doing during those two periods, will not be the same. :bang: