PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Sunday, October 25

Teach
10-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Race One: The two scratches, #s 3 and 7, change the entire complexion of this first race. :4: Scat Away gets my tepid, lukewarm nod in this lid-lifter, an OC for New York State-bred fillies and mares. The problem here is that my choice has a habit of being “a bridesmaid”. Yet, this mare hits the tote with regularity (her last five). Jockey Cornelio Velasquez, Linda Rice’s go-to guy, has not been winning as many since his riding mishap. This mare hasn’t won since last November at Aqueduct. Is today the day Scat Daddy-bred once again “takes the veil”? i.e., wins the race.

Others: :6: , :5: , :1:

Race Two: :2: Stardom drops back into “the selling ranks” in this n2L claiming sprint at six panels. This highly-priced Freud-bred gelding was ambitiously entered in a state-bred allowance race in his last last; he finished seventh. Against this field, at this level, on the grass, this 4-year-old has a solid shot of getting “his picture taken”. The gelding has hit the tote in three out of four turf tries. The one-panel cut-back should help. Eric Cancel is in the irons for trainer John Terranova II. A note of caution: Terranova needs to “get off the schneid” as he is winless with his charges during the Belmont meet.

Others: :6: , :8: , :4:

Race Three: :1: Erik The Red won an OC at this distance at Belmont about a month ago. I see no reason why this Harlan’s Holiday-bred gelding can’t compete for all the enchiladas once again. The gelding’s connections are among the best competing at the Elmont oval, e.g., jockey Jose Ortiz and trainer Linda Rice. Ortiz must mount his closing stretch drive just right or he’ll run out of real estate. Timing is everything.

Others: :6: , :5: , :4:

Race Four: In this turf sprint, I’m going with :10: Swaggy. This Johannesburg-bred filly is now in “for a tag” after competing in MSW company. She’s been second in two out of three turf tries. The change in company should do wonder for this Scat Daddy-bred. Jockey Elvis Trujillo is in the irons for trainer Jim Toner. By the way, Toner does well when dropping a horse out of MSW and into maiden-claimers.

Others: :9:, :11: , :8:

Race Five: :2: My Donna Jean gets my tepid nod in this maiden claimer at seven panels. This mare has faced better; yet, she comes back on short rest. Her trainer, Ed Barker, has had trouble winning races with horses coming back in a second start off a layoff. Yet, having said all this, I believe the class drop improve this horse’s chances of winning. Luis Saez has been riding very well; he does especially well in sprint races.

Others: :3: , :8: , :6:

Race Six: Of all the races on today’s Belmont card I believe this one is the most formful. It’s a six-panel MSW sprint. I’m goin’ with the outside horse, :8: Shayna Lady. This Tiznow-bred filly is conditioned by Chad Brown. Trainer Brown is having an outstanding meet. He has the services of one of the meet’s leading riders, Javier Castellano. This filly is cutting back two panels. I see this as a huge plus. With any kind of trip I see this filly in the Belmont Park winner’s circle getting her picture taken.

Others: :7: , :4: , :2:

Race Seven: In this non-graded English Channel Stakes, I’m going with the :6: , Team Colors. This Street Cry-bred colt won his last in a turf route at Belmont about a month ago. I see no reason why this Machiavellian-bred 3-year-old can’t repeat that winning effort. Joel Rosario is in the irons for trainer Jimmy Jerkens. This colt turned in a recent sharp “bullet” work.

Others: :9: , :8: , :4:

Race Eight: In this allowance N1x turf route I’m casting my lot with the rail horse, :1: Style Drift. This English Channel-bred filly has won once and finished second twice in her three lifetime turf tries. I see her as the horse to beat in this race. I guess my only concern is that she’s been away from the races for over a month and a half. Yet, the filly has solid connections in jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. and trainer Chad Brown.

Others: :5: , :6: , :10:

Race Nine: In the finale on the Belmont card I’m going with, as they say in craps: “Yo-eleven”. Yes, :11: Madison Blues. This Carlos Martin trainee got caught late in an MSW about a month and a half ago. Any slight improvement and this A. P. Indy-bred filly makes her way to the winner’s circle. Jose Ortiz is in the irons. This filly’s had some recent sharp works.

Others: :13: , :8: , :6: