PDA

View Full Version : Strongest Hurricane Ever Recorded Is Headed For Mexico

whodoyoulike
10-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Just read this article which encourages everyone to evacuate because winds may reach >190 mph.

If a similar one was to hit your area ....

Where would you go?

How far is necessary and could you reasonably do so?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-23/dangerous-hurricane-patricia-threatens-mexican-ports-resorts

I'm having a lot of empathy for anyone facing that type of situation. It doesn't have to be a rain storm as it could very well be a firestorm which we've had in my area a couple times in recent history.

I personally have no idea where I'd go except east but most Pacific storms also are heading east. But, we do have storms from the north, east and south.

zico20
10-23-2015, 09:07 PM
Just read this article which encourages everyone to evacuate because winds may reach >190 mph.

Where would you go?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-23/dangerous-hurricane-patricia-threatens-mexican-ports-resorts

I'm having a lot of empathy for anyone facing that type of situation. It doesn't have to be a rain storm as it could very well be a firestorm which we've had in my area a couple times in recent history.

I personally have no idea where I'd go except east but most Pacific storms also are heading east. But, we do have storms from the north, east and south.

How do people get to write a particular story with absolutely no comprehension about what they are talking about. The article says "the strongest hurricane ever in the western hemisphere." Really, why even mention the western hemisphere when all hurricanes are in the western hemisphere. Any monster storm in Asia is a typhoon. Not very bright writing, if I may say so myself.

Marshall Bennett
10-24-2015, 12:03 AM
How do people get to write a particular story with absolutely no comprehension about what they are talking about. The article says "the strongest hurricane ever in the western hemisphere." Really, why even mention the western hemisphere when all hurricanes are in the western hemisphere. Any monster storm in Asia is a typhoon. Not very bright writing, if I may say so myself.
Their properties are the same, only the name is different. Am I right? Therefore if the article had stated "the strongest hurricane ever recorded", the article would be incorrect, no? :)

hcap
10-24-2015, 06:28 AM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/10/23/hurricane_patricia_was_made_worse_by_climate_chang e.html

It’s Undeniable: Climate Change Made Hurricane Patricia Worse

...How did Patricia get to be so strong? The answer, quite simply, involves human-caused climate change. Hurricane Patricia is exactly the kind of terrifying storm we can expect to see more frequently in the decades to come. Although there’s no way to know exactly how much climate change is a factor in Patricia’s explosive strengthening, it’s irresponsible, at this point, not to discuss it.

Scientists who study the link between hurricanes and climate change have long predicted, and debated, the trend of stronger tropical cyclones. The latest science** seems to have settled on climate change boosting the frequency of the strongest hurricanes, even as total hurricane numbers may remain flat. ....a few meteorologists have argued that Patricia could be thought of as a Category 7 hurricane—though the official Saffir-Simpson scale only goes up to 5. Here’s the official description of likely damage from a Category 5 hurricane—like 1992’s Andrew in Florida, and 2013’s Haiyan in the Philippines—suitable for your nightmares:

**Peer reviewed paper from the American Meteorological Society.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0129.1

.. Simulations are performed using observed sea surface temperatures (SSTs) (1980–2008) for a “control run” with 20 repeating seasonal cycles and for a late-twenty-first-century projection using an altered SST seasonal cycle obtained from a phase 5 of CMIP (CMIP5)/representative concentration pathway 4.5 (RCP4.5) multimodel ensemble. In general agreement with most previous studies, projections with this framework indicate fewer tropical cyclones globally in a warmer late-twenty-first-century climate, but also an increase in average cyclone intensity, precipitation rates, and the number and occurrence days of very intense category 4 and 5 storms.

davew
10-24-2015, 08:11 AM
hcap, you bother because you are a member of a cult

http://www.naturalnews.com/045695_global_warming_fabricated_data_scientific_f raud.html

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/05/03/climate-science-fraud-at-albany-university/

http://watchdog.org/243088/shukla-rico-law/

zico20
10-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Their properties are the same, only the name is different. Am I right? Therefore if the article had stated "the strongest hurricane ever recorded", the article would be incorrect, no? :)

Sorry, but wrong my friend. There are differences between the two other than their properties. This article will give you insight between the two. Happy reading. :)

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/nature/difference-between-hurricane-and-typhoon/

Tom
10-24-2015, 10:33 AM
hcap, "ever recorded" is not the same as "ever."

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! :lol: :lol: :lol:

elysiantraveller
10-24-2015, 10:43 AM

Where would you go?

If you have time get out and head inland. Either way arm yourself, stockpile food, gas, cash, and look for a hardened structure at a reasonable elevation.

davew
10-24-2015, 11:12 AM
hcap, "ever recorded" is not the same as "ever."

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! :lol: :lol: :lol:

it is ever recorded by satellite photos

Marshall Bennett
10-24-2015, 12:12 PM
Sorry, but wrong my friend. There are differences between the two other than their properties. This article will give you insight between the two. Happy reading. :)

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/nature/difference-between-hurricane-and-typhoon/
If you read it again you'll see that the physical aspects of the two are the same, other than the fact that a typhoon can rotate in either direction. Both storms are created in the same manner, only in different parts of the world.

Tom
10-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Hurricane, typhon, whatever. Neither one is as bad as the huge wind bag heading towards Washington DC. :eek:

upthecreek
10-25-2015, 11:23 AM
WH PRESS SECRETARY (@weknowwhatsbest) tweeted at 9:38 AM on Sun, Oct 25, 2015:
Pres Obama has given the tropical storm entering the US from Mexico free healthcare, unemployment insurance, and a driver's license :lol:

Clocker
10-25-2015, 02:00 PM
It’s Undeniable: Climate Change Made Hurricane Patricia Worse

Some scientists that believe in global warming deny the connection.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/10/23/451208663/why-hurricane-patricia-cant-be-blamed-on-climate-change

hcap
10-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Some scientists that believe in global warming deny the connection.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/10/23/451208663/why-hurricane-patricia-cant-be-blamed-on-climate-change From my post:

Although there’s no way to know exactly how much climate change is a factor in Patricia’s explosive strengthening, it’s irresponsible, at this point, not to discuss it.

Scientists who study the link between hurricanes and climate change have long predicted, and debated, the trend of stronger tropical cyclones. The latest science** seems to have settled on climate change boosting the frequency of the strongest hurricanes, even as total hurricane numbers may remain flat

I linked to the latest science.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs...CLI-D-15-0129.1

whodoyoulike
10-25-2015, 03:01 PM
If you have time get out and head inland. Either way arm yourself, stockpile food, gas, cash, and look for a hardened structure at a reasonable elevation.

Just read another article, the storm hit Mexico as a Category 5 but did little damage. Although, a lot of damage and flooding has occurred in Texas from this storm.

I understand the head east if the storm is coming from the west but how far should you go? The higher elevation makes sense but in some places there's a lot of flat land.

Someone's comment of hurricane vs. typhoon is pretty much semantics from my POV. The Category intensity is the critical part of viewing a storm's destructive power.

Clocker
10-25-2015, 03:08 PM
From my post:

Although there’s no way to know exactly how much climate change is a factor in Patricia’s explosive strengthening, it’s irresponsible, at this point, not to discuss it.

You said it was undeniable. Now are you saying it's debatable?

hcap
10-25-2015, 03:26 PM
You said it was undeniable. Now are you saying it's debatable?I am not saying anything. I quoted verbatim from the article. If you had read it--- "It’s Undeniable: Climate Change Made Hurricane Patricia Worse" was the title.

But it also specifically stated---"Although there’s no way to know exactly how much climate change is a factor in Patricia’s explosive strengthening, it’s irresponsible, at this point, not to discuss it."
....And I made sure I quoted that VERBATIM as well. :sleeping:

I guess your propensity to dismiss the global scientific consensus smoked your brain. As usual.

But if you check, I named my post "I don't know why I bother". After a dozen threads on AGW here, it's always the same old same old.

boxcar
10-25-2015, 04:21 PM
From my post:

Scientists who study the link between hurricanes and climate change have long predicted, and debated, the trend of stronger tropical cyclones. The latest science** seems to have settled on climate change boosting the frequency of the strongest hurricanes, even as total hurricane numbers may remain flat

I linked to the latest science.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs...CLI-D-15-0129.1

Yeah, yeah, yeah...they long predicted monster storms. And in so doing managed to put a lot of egg on their faces...which is why about 12 years or so ago, they weather men decided to ease up considerably on their hurricane hysteria that we used to see regularly at the onslaught of every hurricane season. :rolleyes:

Clocker
10-25-2015, 04:52 PM
I am not saying anything. I quoted verbatim from the article. If you had read it--- "It’s Undeniable: Climate Change Made Hurricane Patricia Worse" was the title.

That text was not delineated as a quote, nor were others which you now indicate are quoted text. In the absence of quotation marks or other indications, one assumes that the words are those of the poster.

And no, I didn't read the linked article. You are still in the "why do I bother" stage. I have moved on to the "don't bother" stage when I know the link is to faith-based dogma. To assert that anything is "settled science" is naive and egotistical. (Hmm, reminds me of a certain president.) I prefer to keep an open mind. I have my doubts about global warming, but I still accept the possibility. If I wanted dogma based on blind faith, I would go post in the religious thread.

hcap
10-25-2015, 05:20 PM
That text was not delineated as a quote, nor were others which you now indicate are quoted text. In the absence of quotation marks or other indications, one assumes that the words are those of the poster.

And no, I didn't read the linked article. You are still in the "why do I bother" stage. I have moved on to the "don't bother" stage when I know the link is to faith-based dogma. To assert that anything is "settled science" is naive and egotistical. (Hmm, reminds me of a certain president.) I prefer to keep an open mind. I have my doubts about global warming, but I still accept the possibility. If I wanted dogma based on blind faith, I would go post in the religious thread.Absurd nonsense. Even if you did not read the entire article, a cursory glance should have shown any honest debater I was quoting verbatim. The only thing I editorialized slightly out of sequence, but from the Slate article was: **Peer reviewed paper from the American Meteorological Society.
http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0129.1What is settled is you and most of the AGW deniers do not have an open mind and many as are totally confused as the dogmatic poster just before you. :lol: :lol:

There is a major difference between dogma and an overwhelming consensus of scientists, evidence and reasoned debate. Dogma is the non-certified, non-peer reviewed website of TV weatherman Anthony Watts et. al bullshit.

It is the deniers that are the semi-religious fools and why I said I don't know why I bother posting

Tom
10-25-2015, 05:44 PM
It is the deniers that are the semi-religious fools and why I said I don't know why I bother posting

How about because there is NOTHING you can do about it?

Deniers?
Realists.

Move inland.

NJ Stinks
10-25-2015, 07:57 PM
I prefer to keep an open mind.

And I'm sure you will if you ever find one. :rolleyes:

elysiantraveller
10-25-2015, 10:08 PM
I understand the head east if the storm is coming from the west but how far should you go? The higher elevation makes sense but in some places there's a lot of flat land.

Ideally as far as you can and at the least to an elevation thats is well beyond surge projections. More importantly would be finding some sort of hardened structure to hunker down in though.

PaceAdvantage
10-26-2015, 04:14 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/10/23/hurricane_patricia_was_made_worse_by_climate_chang e.html

It’s Undeniable: Climate Change Made Hurricane Patricia WorseOr it could also have been El Nino...but who's counting, right? Betcha gonna blame El Nino on global warming next...

I read on MSN that even the climate doomsayers / tree huggers say the strength of any one particular storm can't be automatically blamed on human-induced global warming (if that even exists).

But thanks for posting your particular brand of propaganda.

BTW, one of the tamest hurricane seasons in the Atlantic was this year...should we attribute that to global warming too? I bet you will and can. But then again, you also told us global warming would produce far greater number of hurricanes in the Atlantic...it's just all so confusing trying to curve fit all of this, isn't it Hcap?

hcap
10-27-2015, 07:00 AM
Or it could also have been El Nino...but who's counting, right? Betcha gonna blame El Nino on global warming next...

I read on MSN that even the climate doomsayers / tree huggers say the strength of any one particular storm can't be automatically blamed on human-induced global warming (if that even exists).

But thanks for posting your particular brand of propaganda.

BTW, one of the tamest hurricane seasons in the Atlantic was this year...should we attribute that to global warming too? I bet you will and can. But then again, you also told us global warming would produce far greater number of hurricanes in the Atlantic...it's just all so confusing trying to curve fit all of this, isn't it Hcap?You obviously DID NOT read the article I linked to. El Nino was included in the discussion. As was the point that "projections with this framework indicate fewer tropical cyclones globally in a warmer late-twenty-first-century climate, but also an increase in average cyclone intensity, precipitation rates, and the number and occurrence days of very intense category 4 and 5 storms.

And one more time the article said this......

It is better to be a tree-hugger than an ignorance hugger.

tucker6
10-27-2015, 03:24 PM
I love how Alarmists like Cappy have no difficulty revising their past statements and quotes to fit the current meme. :D

Clocker
10-27-2015, 03:29 PM
I love how Alarmists like Cappy have no difficulty revising their past statements and quotes to fit the current meme. :D

If scientists can reconstruct the data, recalibrating statements is trivial.

Tom
10-27-2015, 10:11 PM
Amazon has a dictionary....."Reality>>hcap, hcap>>Reality!"

tucker6
10-28-2015, 06:47 AM
If scientists can reconstruct the data, recalibrating statements is trivial.
speaking of reconstruction the data to fit the meme, ...

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/10/27/dissent-in-the-climate-ranks-over-karls-pause-buster-temperature-data-tweaking/

davew
10-28-2015, 07:28 AM
It is interesting that weather readers have become 'scientists' and liberal cult is trying to put RICO charges on people who call out their crap...

Luckily worst ever recorded did not have worst ever land/people damage. How many years have planes been flying into storms to collect data to proclaim worst ever?

http://time.com/4086096/hurricane-patricia-damage-explainer-mexico/

rastajenk
10-28-2015, 08:05 AM
I think we should want stronger hurricanes. For one thing, they restore water tables and end droughts over much of the continent. And, less seriously, noted economist Jack Klugman or Paul Krugman or something like that said that rebuilding after disasters helps the economy. :eek: :faint: So if we have to have the discussion whether global warming impacts hurricane strength, then we also have to be able to discuss whether that's good or bad.

PaceAdvantage
10-28-2015, 01:21 PM
You obviously DID NOT read the article I linked to.Never claimed I did.

classhandicapper
10-28-2015, 01:37 PM
And, less seriously, noted economist Jack Klugman or Paul Krugman or something like that said that rebuilding after disasters helps the economy. :eek: :faint:

These are the same guys that think wars are good for the economy.

Really?

Why don't we just blow up all the accumulated capital and investment in the world so we can borrow trillions more and rebuild it all just to be right back where we started before the war except further in debt? :bang:

They actually think wiping out all our savings just to get greater economic activity in the short term is a good idea! :bang:

Our country should have a restraining order against all Keynesians.

Forget about illegal immigration, bad trade deals, bigotry, ISIS, healthcare etc... If we could just round up all the Keynesians and send them to the middle east we could solve 90% of our problems. We could save ourselves and destroy the terrorists in no time with one strategic move.