PDA

View Full Version : Efren Loza, Jr.

cj
10-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Any info on this guy? Where'd he come from? I'm always amazed by trainers that just appear on the scene and start winning at 25% clips right out of the gate.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=People&searchType=T&eID=948762

thaskalos
10-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Any info on this guy? Where'd he come from? I'm always amazed by trainers that just appear on the scene and start winning at 25% clips right out of the gate.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=People&searchType=T&eID=948762
I long for the days when 25% winners got you to the trainers Hall Of Fame.

PaceAdvantage
10-22-2015, 01:40 PM
In this day and age of watered down racing, small fields and scratching until you get your spot, why is anyone surprised these types of numbers can be had without any additional shenanigans?

Training racehorses isn't rocket science.

cj
10-22-2015, 01:41 PM
In this day and age of watered down racing, small fields and scratching until you get your spot, why is anyone surprised these types of numbers can be had without any additional shenanigans?

I'm not trying to imply the guy is a cheater, I'm really not. I'm curious about the background and where they come from, like was he someone's top assistant and then went out on his own. That is often the case.

thaskalos
10-22-2015, 02:08 PM

Yes...but these accomplishments require a great deal of training SKILL...and these guys are total UNKNOWNS. Where did they get their training?

I remember when Wayne Catalano burst upon the racing scene and set the racing world afire. A reporter found out that Catalano learned his craft under legendary trainer Jack Van Berg...so, he went to Van Berg...to ask him if Catalano had proven to be an exemplary student of the training profession. All Van Berg could say was that Catalano was a "feisty little guy".

Sure. A reletively-unknown "feisty little guy"...who quickly became the winningest trainer in America. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
10-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Yes...but these accomplishments require a great deal of training SKILL...and these guys are total UNKNOWNS. Where did they get their training?

I remember when Wayne Catalano burst upon the racing scene and set the racing world afire. A reporter found out that Catalano learned his craft under legendary trainer Jack Van Berg...so, he went to Van Berg...to ask him if Catalano had proven to be an exemplary student of the training profession. All Van Berg could say was that Catalano was a "feisty little guy".

Sure. A reletively-unknown "feisty little guy"...who quickly became the winningest trainer in America. :rolleyes:Yup...nobody was implying anything in this thread... :lol:

thaskalos
10-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Yup...nobody was implying anything in this thread... :lol:
Cj wasn't...but I am.

PaceAdvantage
10-22-2015, 02:37 PM
With all due respect to cj, just by creating this type of thread means he's implying something like that, given the current climate around here.

cj
10-22-2015, 02:40 PM
With all due respect to cj, just by creating this type of thread means he's implying something like that, given the current climate around here.

It really isn't what I meant. I never noticed him before until I saw he was training the 1-9 shot in a match race in the 1st at Calder today. There wasn't much between the two horses IMO other than the trainer. So I was wondering who he was and where he came from. That is why it is in the handicapping section. I ask here because digging up info on these guys on the web is tough, I tried.

You can actually see in the other thread that I'm not big into the "cheating trainer" thing...I've taken the other side two or three times in that thread.