PDA

View Full Version : Freehold Live! Thursday, Oct. 22

Teach
10-22-2015, 12:36 PM
I haven't been to Park Ave., Freehold Township, NJ for a good ten years...a handicapping contest. No, I didn't win. My first foray to Freehold's tight-turned half-mile oval was in the summer of 1966. I had just begun a teaching job at Manhasset (LI) Junior-Senior High School. Orientation in the morning; Freehold that afternoon. So...across the Verrazano Narrows Bridge to Staten Island and New Jersey. All I recall it was hot as blazes. Black-tarred track apron. I thought I was in the Sahara, only with humidity.
I recall that there was a glass-enclosed betting area, trackside...a refuge.
Anyway...

First Race: I always like Ray Baynes, inside. So, my pick is: #1 Siegleman'Joy. Others I'm considering is the deuce #2 Shark's Play with Vinny Ginsburg of the Ginsburg-Fusco famiglia. Yet, is the horse ready? If he is... One outside shot: #8 Slick Boat might just be a player.

Chime in if you wish. Good Luck...and may the standardbred be with you.

Teach
10-22-2015, 12:56 PM
O Sole Mio! Who wooda thunked...Mike Pollio? In Race Two: I think it's an "inside job". What I'm trying to say? What I'm tryin' to convey is that I believe the winner looks like he'll be comin' from: "The Inside Four". Questions to ponder: Can Mike Pollio bring home both ends of the Early Double? Can Ray Baynes use that rail post to win today's second race? How 'bout Pocketfullofpower? Can the Laurie Molnar-owned and trained, Vinny Ginsburg-ridden 10-year-old gelding get all the enchiladas? What about Eddie Sager's charge, River Runs Deep?

Teach
10-22-2015, 01:10 PM
In Race Three I'm casting my lot with two horses: #3 Jailhouse Heart and #4 Tickettotheparty. My thinkin' is that their drivers are the best two in the race, namely, "Smitty," Steve Smith and Jim Marshall III. Both handle trotters very well, particularly Jim Marshal III (soft hands). I'm also looking outside at an exotic value-adder, # 6, Veeba's Red Diamond. Good Luck!

Teach
10-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Race Four: #1 Liscloon, an Abercrombie-bred horse, driven by Steve Smith, is my choice here. This 4-year-old took a hiatus throughout much of the month of September. Prior to that he was racing against much better at Yonkers. This horse appears to be rounding into form and looks like the horse to beat. #2 Bad Deputy should benefit from his inside #2 starting post. Certainly a consideration in gimmicks. Then there's Richard Bilach's horse, #6, Italian Rebel. This 4-year-old Laag-bred should be coming off the tailgate and may well add value to an exotic.

Teach
10-22-2015, 02:02 PM
In Race Five #4 Magic City looks like the filly (there are only two in the race) to beat. Yet there are concerns: (1) the filly's been away from the races for a while; (2) she's a young horse and Freehold's tight turns are a possible hazard. Yet, she has one of best trotter reinsmen in the sulky, Jeff Gregory. I've followed harness racing since the summer of 1958 and Jeff Gregory rates, over the years, in my top ten for handling trotters. This goes back to Foxboro Raceway in the late 1950s. Others to consider are: #5 Fresh Prince and #6 Flowing James.

Teach
10-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Race Six: I'm lookin' inside here at the first-four post-position-order horses. In order of preference: #2 Four Corners gets the driver switch to Steve Smith. That's a plus. This Artsplace-bred gelding has faced better. This 7-year-old fits very well in this company and appears, at the very least, to be a "board-hitter". #3 Prana turned in a solid effort from his outside post in his last in this company. The Jate Lobell-bred gelding now draws better. Irish Joe Hanney's in the sulky for Nifty Norman. Then, there's Joe Bongiorno's horse, #4, Four Starz Trace. Installed as the ML fave, he certainly rates consideration. Finally, Joe Kowalski's horse, the Eugene Landy-owned and Jim Porter-trained, #1, Kings Point Grad. He won his last.

Teach
10-22-2015, 02:48 PM
In Race Seven I'm going to put forth four horses: two are logical; two are not so logical (note I didn't say "illogical"). First, the two logicals: #4 Sleazy Does It. Nick Surick may be harness racing's "best kept secret". Although Surick's UDR is slightly above the "Mendoza Line" (baseball talk), this reinsman knows how to drive. I find him most capable. In fact I would rate him in the top 20% campaigning at Freehold. The other "logical" is Irish Joe Hanney's charge, #3 Babe's Bistro; he fits well in this field. The not-so-logicals are: #7 Gimmesomeroom. This Kyle DiBenedetto-driven mare might just surprise. She's certainly worthy of consideration in your gimmicks. The other "outsider" is the Brandon Filion's (remember Herve) trained and driven, #6 Little Miss Marie. Might just add value to an exotic

Teach
10-22-2015, 03:09 PM
In Race Eight I'm putting #1 Pacific Desperado on top. Others worthy of consideration are: #4 Autobiographical; #3 Brickyard Wayne and #7 Beau Rivage

Teach
10-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Race Nine: #4 Nick's One Man Show may be "any kind of horse". This 2-year-old gelding has some solid pedigree, e.g., Precious Bunny. The services of Steve Smith enhances this gelding's chances. Others to consider are: #3 St Mattys Day. He appears to be rounding into form and may well hit the tote. Also, Dexter Jolt. The way Nick Surick's been driving - two in a row - he has to be considered. His charge, #6 Dexter Jolt, may need a race, then again. Finally, the Catskills shipper, #2 Frankie C. Doesn't appear to show much; yet there were solid efforts at Saratoga.

Teach
10-22-2015, 03:50 PM
In the finale: I like two horses: #1 His Eminence won his last in this company. This Cam's Card Shark-bred should have his own way on the front end playing catch-me-if-you-can. My other main player is Nick Surick's horse, #5 Classy Character. This aged gelding has lifetime earnings over 400k; he certainly knows his way around the racetrack. Then there's the longshot try, #6 It Was An Honor. Reinsman Joe Bongiorno adds to this horse's chances. Finally, #4 Timtron Hanover has faced better at Harrington. Might add to the value of an exotic.