PDA

View Full Version : George R Handy

Stillriledup
10-22-2015, 03:57 AM
He's over 90 years old I believe and he's running one today at GPW.

He's been training since the 1940s

Amazing. :ThmbUp:

Overlay
10-22-2015, 08:16 AM
He's been around a long time. I recall a chapter in Tom Ainslie's 1960's book Theory and Practice of Handicapping titled, "The Doc Spots A Shipper", where Ainslie told of a friend of his ("The Doc") who possessed almost supernatural handicapping powers. In the last race at Aqueduct one day, George Handy had a filly entered who had recently run against males in allowance races at Lincoln Downs, and who was now entered in a seven-furlong distaff claimer at Aqueduct at the same distance at which she had won in the past. Ainslie dismissed her chances because of the class disparity between Lincoln Downs and Aqueduct, and the filly's on-again, off-again consistency, but "The Doc" liked the filly's past success at the distance; the fact that she had run well in allowance races against males (even if those races had been at Lincoln Downs); her fast workout the previous day; the fact that Jorge Velasquez was riding her in today's race; and (especially) George Handy being the trainer. Needless to say, the filly won at odds of almost 10-1.

Jingle
10-22-2015, 08:36 AM
Handy was always one of the top trainers at Lincoln, Suffolk, Narragansett, and Rockingham during the early 50's and 60's and always had a crowd around him. Ah for the good ole days when losing was much simpler with The Morning Telegraph.

lamboguy
10-22-2015, 09:01 AM
He's been around a long time. I recall a chapter in Tom Ainslie's 1960's book Theory and Practice of Handicapping titled, "The Doc Spots A Shipper", where Ainslie told of a friend of his ("The Doc") who possessed almost supernatural handicapping powers. In the last race at Aqueduct one day, George Handy had a filly entered who had recently run against males in allowance races at Lincoln Downs, and who was now entered in a seven-furlong distaff claimer at Aqueduct at the same distance at which she had won in the past. Ainslie dismissed her chances because of the class disparity between Lincoln Downs and Aqueduct, and the filly's on-again, off-again consistency, but "The Doc" liked the filly's past success at the distance; the fact that she had run well in allowance races against males (even if those races had been at Lincoln Downs); her fast workout the previous day; the fact that Jorge Velasquez was riding her in today's race; and (especially) George Handy being the trainer. Needless to say, the filly won at odds of almost 10-1.7 furlongs is the toughest distance to handicap. i usually like to play horses that have run well at that distance and throughout any other forms of handicapping that particular race.