PDA

View Full Version : Paper trading straight puts and calls...

PaceAdvantage
10-21-2015, 09:20 AM
Nobody really recommends (well, not anyone I read) trading straight puts and calls...however, I've been looking at some pattern recognition stuff and want to play around with it for a while...so without any further ado, allow me to prognosticate using puts and calls on one or two trades a day...these will likely be held until expiration or until target is hit...

I am not a professional...this is for educational and informational use only...none of what I write is a recommendation to buy or sell anything, it's just a journal of my own personal fantasy plays:

10/21/15
APA buy 45 November Put ~ 1.97
TARGET = 35.50

PaceAdvantage
10-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Opening price was $1.97, so I adjusted my original post to reflect that higher price.

Tape Reader
10-21-2015, 11:10 AM
Good luck, Pace. I think the idea of a target is great.

Rise Over Run
11-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Ooops. APA spikes 12% on unsolicited takeover talk.

PaceAdvantage
11-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Yeah...good thing I was only paper trading...lol

Tape Reader
11-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Pace, just curious, what “pattern recognition” were you using?

PaceAdvantage
11-11-2015, 02:42 PM
There was a bearish pennant pattern (according to TOS...but upon researching the pennant pattern further, I can see where this one really wasn't a bearish patter) from 9/28 - 10/16...I'm sure when you look at the daily chart, you'll see that TOS is incorrect...this was just a little experiment that I have already grown tired of...I couldn't find anymore that had enough bang for the buck to warrant my attention.

This one (although incorrect both pre and post paper trade) at least offered a fairly decent profit to loss ratio....

Tape Reader
11-11-2015, 06:55 PM
There was a bearish pennant pattern (according to TOS...but upon researching the pennant pattern further, I can see where this one really wasn't a bearish patter) from 9/28 - 10/16...I'm sure when you look at the daily chart, you'll see that TOS is incorrect...this was just a little experiment that I have already grown tired of...I couldn't find anymore that had enough bang for the buck to warrant my attention.

This one (although incorrect both pre and post paper trade) at least offered a fairly decent profit to loss ratio....

Thank you. I have also found TOS to be “approximate” in their pattern recognition.

RaceBookJoe
11-20-2015, 09:53 AM
instead of straight calls/puts, have any of you tried doing bull put/bear calls spreads using weekly options ?