PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Reagan

Dave Schwartz
06-11-2004, 12:38 PM
As I watch his service today I find myself thinking what a truly great man he was. Where can we find a few more like him.

In my opinion, he was the greatest President in my lifetime memory (which starts with Eseinhower).

May he rest in peace.

Regards to all,
Dave Schwartz

Big Bill
06-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Amen to that, Dave.

Big Bill

doophus
06-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
As I watch his service today I find myself thinking what a truly great man he was. Where can we find a few more like him. Ditto, Dave.

"In my opinion, he was the greatest President in my lifetime memory (which starts with Eseinhower). "
The couple of photos of you that I've seen makes it hard to believe that you remember Eisenhower's presidency; maybe his funeral, but his presidency......nah! Maybe I've got you and Schmidt sorta mixed up. :confused:

Dick Schmidt
06-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Doophus,

HEY! I'll have you know I'm a youthful 50 something, while Dave is older than dirt. He not only remembers Ike, he served under him.

Dick

Q. What's ET short for?

A. Because he's got tiny little legs.

Dave Schwartz
06-11-2004, 08:41 PM
LOL - You bozos. <G> (Or is that "bozoes?")

I recall the elections of 1960 and Ike was Prez till then. No, I don't really remember Ike, but I remember "of him." Truman I have no knowledge of.

And, just for the record, I am way younger and better looking than Schmidt.

Dave

Buckeye
06-11-2004, 08:55 PM
"I like Ike"

Remember that one?

Since then, we have had:
Kennedy
Johnson
Nixon
Ford
Jimmy Carter
REAGAN
Busch the Father
Clinton
Busch

Reagan did a pretty good job.
I would rate him above all of them, hands down-- with the exception of Kennedy and Nixon.

Tom
06-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Dick and Dave.....dueling geezers?
:eek:

Yeah, Ronald Regean....I always thought that he had that something about him that made you comfortable with him, believe him. I support Bush, but I hold my breath whenever he speaks in public. 41 gave a nice eulogy....from the heart.

Long day for poor Nancy. I dont' envy her-coast to coast heartache if tough to handle. I worry she will not be around too much longer-losing someone that close is too often the begining of the end.

cryptic1
06-12-2004, 04:42 PM
I think that his greatness lay in giving a face to conservatism
that the general public felt at ease with. Conservatism for many
was an upper class ethos(England) or for the rich(U.S.) He
gave it a humanity and straightforwardness that made it
inclusive. He was able to communicate with the people, he
wasn't speaking at them but to them.
Furthermore, he was able make the American people feel
proud of themselves and their nation without sounding like a
cheerleader or charlatan. After the watergate mess, and the
fall of Iran, he restored the nation's pride in itself and its
accomplishments.
The passage of time has only enhanced his achievements.
Other than FDR, I don't believe any other President of the
twentieth century had such a positive effect on the country.
Though only a child, Eisenhower seemed more a father
figure than an ideologue to me, though that may be a
distillation of history as told to me by my father at the time.

cryptic1

Richard
06-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Wait until about 2-3 weeks before the election.The we'll really start hearing the cheap shots about Ronald Reagan.No doubt that oldie but goodie about how he supposedly made us feel comfortable with our prejudices will be rehashed.

Richard
06-13-2004, 09:36 PM
No doubt about it.The services for Ronald Reagan were all dignity and class as opposed to 2 years back during the memorial services for Sen. Paul Wellstone.He'd would have,IMHO,been completely disgusted at that debacle.

Buckeye
06-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Reagan was what you call an "original"

They broke the mold; it was a great eight years.

Thank you Mr. President, and God Bless You.

Tom
06-13-2004, 11:02 PM
I was a liberal (really!) until Regean just kept showing me how wrong I was about things. It was pretty hard to keep those liberal notions when reality was being flung in my face everyday.
I did not truly appreciate Regean until he was out of office.
I was really mixed over the Bush election and was still trying to support the Dem candicate, but not long after Bush got in, the transforamtion was completed. I felt like I had received a Masters Degree if life. Answers as to what is right and wrong come a lot easier nowadays.
Ronald Reagan saved me from a life of ignorance.

superfecta
06-13-2004, 11:39 PM
If RR death was the impetus for the renewal of Stem cell research?After all,RR was anti abortion big time,and I believe the Bush administration was the ones who quashed this reseach years ago.Nancy has asked for more human stem cell research to aid the fight against alzheimers.Would be ironic if a cure was to be an effect from this mans death many years from now...