PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Fresno

bello
10-17-2015, 04:27 PM
Fresno announcer announcing when $$$$ is coming OFF a horse late.

Very helpful and clearly is pointing out manipulation of the board.

Nice job!

Stillriledup
10-17-2015, 04:44 PM
What race?

bello
10-17-2015, 04:48 PM
I only was listening in race 2 and 3 so far

race 2 A bundle came off #1

Race 3 A bundle came off #7

Both had no shot IMO I wish the $$$$ stayd on.

Race 4 is a 4 horse race so no shenanigans

v j stauffer
10-17-2015, 08:26 PM
The guy that calls the races there is obsessed with that.

When he sees huge bets go in then get pulled it drives him crazy.

Stillriledup
10-17-2015, 09:09 PM

It's a pretty big pet peeve of most of us. Racing industry doing nothing about it though. I'd love to bet into a no cancel pool to be quite honest.

taxicab
10-17-2015, 09:18 PM

Nice job!
This....

thespaah
10-17-2015, 10:50 PM

One day I'd laugh my head off if I read a report where this announcer had had it up to here and and goes into a profanity laced tirade on the mic....
Ok, maybe not..But that would be hilarious....

thespaah
10-17-2015, 10:59 PM
It's a pretty big pet peeve of most of us. Racing industry doing nothing about it though. I'd love to bet into a no cancel pool to be quite honest.
I have made it clear that bets should not be subject to cancellation.
Exceptions would be....
A) injury to horse resulting in a scratch.....For example, let's say a contending horse that on which a particular bettor had no wager but made his bet on another horse based on the now scratched horse's presence. Or the scratched horse effects the exotic wagers. I think all bettors on and off track should have the right to change their bets...
B) dramatic change in weather/track conditions during the betting period.
One other idea.....If a bettor cancels his bet, he does not get a refund. He receives a credit for that race only. In other words the bettor must place bets in the same amount and only in the type of the original bet. If its a win bet, he cannot cancel then make exotic bets. Or change a win bet to a show bet....
And if adw bettors can cancel bets, so should everyone on track.....
Oh, one more thing. NO cancelling bets for any reason once the Minutes to post reads "5 mins"....
This pool manipulation is ripping off other bettors. It isn't right.

davew
10-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Exceptions would be....
A) injury to horse resulting in a scratch.....For example, let's say a contending horse that on which a particular bettor had no wager but made his bet on another horse based on the now scratched horse's presence. Or the scratched horse effects the exotic wagers. I think all bettors on and off track should have the right to change their bets...
One other idea.....If a bettor cancels his bet, he does not get a refund. He receives a credit for that race only. In other words the bettor must place bets in the same amount and only in the type of the original bet. If its a win bet, he cannot cancel then make exotic bets. Or change a win bet to a show bet....
Oh, one more thing. NO cancelling bets for any reason once the Minutes to post reads "5 mins"....

I am almost positive the guy is only seeing straight pool bets being removed

If there was a late scratch, maybe allow a 2 minute period for bet cancellations - with an intial 60 seconds before bets are non cancellable

NorCalGreg
10-17-2015, 11:18 PM
Okay, in case you had a heart attack or got ahold of some bad bratwurst, taxi--I'll jump in & continue what you were obviously going to say....someone else can finish it in your memory

This....

... is the end

my only friend,

the__

bello
10-18-2015, 12:39 AM
Okay, in case you had a heart attack or got ahold of some bad bratwurst, taxi--I'll jump in & continue what you were obviously going to say....someone else can finish it in your memory

... is the end

my only friend,

the__
Thanks for clearing that up Greg. I thought it was a web code word that I was not yet familiar with and I was ready to fire back.

taxicab
10-18-2015, 12:50 AM
I thought it was a web code word that I was not yet familiar with and I was ready to fire back.
Not at all.
When I used "This" the word was meant as a compliment.
The post was very good.......kind of like seconding what you were saying.

Stillriledup
10-18-2015, 02:08 AM
Exceptions would be....

I agree, good post.

NorCalGreg
10-18-2015, 03:34 AM
One day I'd laugh my head off if I read a report where this announcer had had it up to here and and goes into a profanity laced tirade on the mic....
Ok, maybe not..But that would be hilarious....

That's a funny mental picture, spaah..not everyone here has the same sense of humor you and I and SRU are blessed/cursed with :D .
I'm thinking a Lee Elia Cubs-Mngr Meltdown right on the mic haha---remember?? I copied just ONE PARAGRAPH of Lee's historic rant ..(before Wrigley had lights for night baseball):

" They're really, really behind you around here...my f*ckin' ass. What the f*ck am I supposed to do, go out there and let my f*ckin' players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the f*ckin' nickel-dime people who turn up? The motherf*ckers don't even work. That's why they're out at the f*ckin' game. They oughta go out and get a f*ckin' job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a f*ckin' living. Eighty-five percent of the f*ckin' world is working. The other fifteen percent come out here. A f*ckin' playground for the cocks*ckers. Rip them motherf*ckers. Rip them f*ckin' cocks*ckers like the f*ckin' players. We got guys bustin' their f*ckin' ass, and them f*ckin' people boo. And that's the Cubs? My f*ckin' ass."

wisconsin
10-18-2015, 09:09 PM
That's a funny mental picture, spaah..not everyone here has the same sense of humor you and I and SRU are blessed/cursed with :D .
I'm thinking a Lee Elia Cubs-Mngr Meltdown right on the mic haha---remember?? I copied just ONE PARAGRAPH of Lee's historic rant ..(before Wrigley had lights for night baseball):

" They're really, really behind you around here...my f*ckin' ass. What the f*ck am I supposed to do, go out there and let my f*ckin' players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the f*ckin' nickel-dime people who turn up? The motherf*ckers don't even work. That's why they're out at the f*ckin' game. They oughta go out and get a f*ckin' job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a f*ckin' living. Eighty-five percent of the f*ckin' world is working. The other fifteen percent come out here. A f*ckin' playground for the cocks*ckers. Rip them motherf*ckers. Rip them f*ckin' cocks*ckers like the f*ckin' players. We got guys bustin' their f*ckin' ass, and them f*ckin' people boo. And that's the Cubs? My f*ckin' ass."

"AND PRINT IT!"

Stillriledup
10-19-2015, 12:19 AM
"AND PRINT IT!"

EXACTLY!!

this rant should be required listening for children of all ages, I could see Chicago school children going home and asking "daddy, who's lee Elia"

classhandicapper
10-19-2015, 09:46 AM

Nice job!

I was betting one of those races and thought I was getting an overlay until that big bet got pulled. Definitely adds a complication to an already difficult game.

v j stauffer
10-19-2015, 05:11 PM

Nice job!

Just for the record. Any general manager who happened to hear this announcement would IMMEDIATELY call the announcer and forbid him from making another.

It's totally out of bounds and not remotely within the scope of what is expected from an announcer.

It's implying that foul play MAY be occurring. What if an announcer felt a jockey was stiffing a horse and mentioned his opinion of that in the race call? Wouldn't go over very well.

This is not far removed from that.

Not acceptable.

Stillriledup
10-19-2015, 05:39 PM
Just for the record. Any general manager who happened to hear this announcement would IMMEDIATELY call the announcer and forbid him from making another.

It's totally out of bounds and not remotely within the scope of what is expected from an announcer.

It's implying that foul play MAY be occurring. What if an announcer felt a jockey was stiffing a horse and mentioned his opinion of that in the race call? Wouldn't go over very well.

Not acceptable.

It's not really implying anything, he's just stating a fact that money came off a horse.

If a jock was stiffing a horse and strangling him in the back and the announcer said "so and so is under a hammerlock in the back of the pack' is that unacceptable, or is the announcer just commenting on what he sees?

NorCalGreg
10-19-2015, 06:35 PM
It's not really implying anything, he's just stating a fact that money came off a horse.

If a jock was stiffing a horse and strangling him in the back and the announcer said "so and so is under a hammerlock in the back of the pack' is that unacceptable, or is the announcer just commenting on what he sees?

Keep in mind who signs the track announcer's paycheck.

Stillriledup
10-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Keep in mind who signs the track announcer's paycheck.
Do you think that the signee would want the announcer to cover up a federal crime :D if he saw it happening? Is that the belief of track execs if you see a crime to cover it up because the 'idiots and addicts' won't know the difference?

NorCalGreg
10-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Do you think that the signee would want the announcer to cover up a federal crime :D if he saw it happening? Is that the belief of track execs if you see a crime to cover it up because the 'idiots and addicts' won't know the difference?

Amazing how you take the leap from "he's just stating a fact that money came off a horse" to "cover up a federal crime" all in the space of two posts. The man is just a gumshoe track announcer at a damn fair race meet--not an FBI agent. It's a 9 day meet...the people in charge just want things to go as smoothly as possible. WITHOUT said gumshoe making announcements he's neither been asked nor paid to make. You ever listen to a ballgame--and hear the announcer say the team stinks, don't know why anyone even comes out to to the games--or listens on the radio? Same reason, dude. His paycheck is involved.

bello
10-19-2015, 07:11 PM
He wasn't implying anything. You are implying something. Jocks do not have to be involved in pool manipulation whatsoever, I have no clue where you come up with some of these comments.

Kudos to the announcer and guys like Mark at Mountaineer who are not shy about giving valuable information.

cj
10-19-2015, 07:12 PM

Wow, come on man.

EMD4ME
10-19-2015, 07:17 PM

Not acceptable.

I would expect a unique call, like the one at Evangeline recently. You know, with some stutter, some shock and some amazement at the situation at hand.

IDK, maybe I'm just much too moral. I was raised to ALWAYS do what's right and I am a god respecting and fearing soul so I ALWAYS do what's right.

Or maybe I'm just a jaded horseplayer who's heard, seen and witnessed a ton of stiff jobs.

I get it, you're not a doctor, who's supposedly sworn to an oath to help people 1st an foremost BUT it only hurts the game if an announcer watches a horse get a "peculiar ride" with no mention of it.

Stillriledup
10-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Wow, come on man.

Greg seemed to indicate that if an announcer sees something he shouldn't say something. Why cover up board manipulation if you see it?

Dr Gonzo
10-19-2015, 07:22 PM
“Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1938.Friedrich_Nietzsche)

v j stauffer
10-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Greg seemed to indicate that if an announcer sees something he shouldn't say something. Why cover up board manipulation if you see it?

The announcer works for the track. I can promise you the track does not want him commenting on amounts of $$ coming out of the pools manipulation or not.

C'mon guys. at least trust me on this one. I think I'm qualified.

cj
10-19-2015, 07:35 PM

Because it isn't the track announcer's job to point it out. It doesn't put the track in a good light.

v j stauffer
10-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Because it isn't the track announcer's job to point it out. It doesn't put the track in a good light.

Correct. Even if the light isn't necessarily poor. It's still not anything he should be involved in.

bello
10-19-2015, 07:42 PM
It doesn't pit the track in a good light or bad light. The track cANNOt control pool manipulation. it is a very good piece of data for the public to know.

Maybe instead of the announcer the track should hire an Ambassador of Information designated to give us all the information that announcers are allegedly NOT being paid or overstepping their boundaries of the meager pay grades.

Nonsense!

A guy does his job for the public's benefits and he is knocked by some.

v j stauffer
10-19-2015, 07:54 PM
It doesn't pit the track in a good light or bad light. The track cANNOt control pool manipulation. it is a very good piece of data for the public to know.

Maybe instead of the announcer the track should hire an Ambassador of Information designated to give us all the information that announcers are allegedly NOT being paid or overstepping their boundaries of the meager pay grades.

Nonsense!

Wow. This post is a MOUNTAIN of mistakes.

1. The track CAN and HAS controlled pool manipulation in the past. They can identify exactly who, what and where about these cancellations. It's already happened here in California. The responsible people were dealt with.

2. It's a meaningless piece of data for the people to know. In this day and age ANY player can cancel ANY wager until the gate opens. Is it an annoyance? Sure. Nobody should have to deal with it. But it's not part of a normal day of wagering. And never will be.

3. His announcement DID NOT benefit anyone including the public. It is not his place to make that kind of announcement. It's not his job and never will be.

bello
10-19-2015, 08:00 PM
Write a letter...get him fired from a couple of fair gigs...maybe you can take his place and be a good boy and stick to calling the races and not overstep the duties of a PROPER racetrack announcer, as espoused by Vic Stauffer. Maybe you should write a book that would be mandatory reading for all track announcers.

BIG VIC IS WATCHING YOU!

GEEZ, i HOPE i DIDN'T GET THIS GUY CANNED FROM EVER ANNOUNCING AGAIN.

v j stauffer
10-19-2015, 08:28 PM
Here are three examples of how management DOES pay attention and will advise the announcer to act accordingly for the best interest of the track.

These are real. They happened to me.

1. I was the back up announcer at Garden State Park. The General Manager was a gentleman named Richard ( Dick ) Cummings. At the start of a race I saw a horse break very slowly. I said " the ground broke out from under him" Mr. Cummings came to the booth and advised not to say such a thing because it was a knock on our racing surface.

2. I was the announcer at the Woodlands in Kansas City Kansas. The General Manager was Rick Baedeker. He would go on to be the President of Hollywood Park and is now the Executive Director of the CHRB.

In a race I saw the 1-5 favorite had been pulled up and was bleeding profusely from the nostrils. I mentioned it in the race call. Mr. Baedeker came to the booth and said pointing out such a thing was not my place and to never do it again.

3. When I was the announcer at Hollywood Park. A horse had a particularly nasty breakdown. I was very emotional, said a few things to communicate how badly I felt and "shut down" the rest of the race call. The General Manager Eual Wyatt came to the booth and said while everyone felt awful about the horse dying. It wasn't the place of the announcer to invoke his personal feelings. It didn't serve the best interest of the track and/or racing in general. I was to report the incident, certainly not act as though it had never happened, then call the remainder of the race dispassionately. He was correct. I made the adjustment.

A racetrack is a business. They hire the announcer to say what's in their best interests. If the announcer doesn't understand and do this they will find someone else that does.

It most assuredly is not the place of the announcer to make policy for that business. I can ASSURE you not one racing association on the planet would condone what the guy at Fresno did.

Stillriledup
10-19-2015, 08:32 PM

So the track is in a Better light by covering up something that we all see happening anyway? If the track is concerned about a good light, why not put a stop to the manipulation?

Stillriledup
10-19-2015, 08:36 PM
Here are three examples of how management DOES pay attention and will advise the announcer to act accordingly for the best interest of the track.

These are real. They happened to me.

1. I was the back up announcer at Garden State Park. The General Manager was a gentleman named Richard ( Dick ) Cummings. At the start of a race I saw a horse break very slowly. I said " the ground broke out from under him" Mr. Cummings came to the booth and advised not to say such a thing because it was a knock on our racing surface.

2. I was the announcer at the Woodlands in Kansas City Kansas. The General Manager was Rick Baedeker. He would go on to be the President of Hollywood Park and is now the Executive Director of the CHRB.

In a race I saw the 1-5 favorite had been pulled up and was bleeding profusely from the nostrils. I mentioned it in the race call. Mr. Baedeker came to the booth and said pointing out such a thing was not my place and to never do it again.

3. When I was the announcer at Hollywood Park. A horse had a particularly nasty breakdown. I was very emotional, said a few things to communicate how badly I felt and "shut down" the rest of the race call. The General Manager Eual Wyatt came to the booth and said while everyone felt awful about the horse dying. It wasn't the place of the announcer to invoke his personal feelings. It didn't serve the best interest of the track and/or racing in general. I was to report the incident, certainly not act as though it had never happened, then call the remainder of the race dispassionately. He was correct. I made the adjustment.

A racetrack is a business. They hire the announcer to say what's in their best interests. If the announcer doesn't understand and do this they will find someone else that does.

It most assuredly is not the place of the announcer to make policy for that business. I can ASSURE you not one racing association on the planet would condone what the guy at Fresno did.

Trevor denman consistently uses the phrase 'something is wrong' to describe horses who are dropping back. Do you approve of this call?

NorCalGreg
10-19-2015, 08:38 PM

Nonsense!

bello.....I don't want to be your enemy, or SRU's, or EMD's or anyone's.....you all know this, let's just agree to disagree. Having said that--I'm completely baffled you all can't see the big picture here.
The TRACK MANAGEMENT hires and can fire the track announcer---not the bettors, though of course bettors indirectly pay everyone's salary.
What if you had a track announcer who made comments such as....early just as they're starting to load up: "WOAH, THAT 7 HORSE, LUCKY LOUIE'S GOT A BIT OF A LIMP GOING FOR HIM--HOW'D THAT ONE GET PAST THE VET!" hey that race caller is just being honest right? Just looking out for the bettors right? If you were the MGR of that track you would personally go up in that announcer's booth and fire that guy on the spot. Get real, guys. This isn't the way the world works--just the way you want it to work. 2 different things.
later
-NCG

no breathalyzer
10-19-2015, 08:46 PM
bello.....I don't want to be your enemy, or SRU's, or EMD's or anyone's.....you all know this, let's just agree to disagree. Having said that--I'm completely baffled you all can't see the big picture here.
The TRACK MANAGEMENT hires and can fire the track announcer---not the bettors, though of course bettors indirectly pay everyone's salary.
What if you had a track announcer who made comments such as....early just as they're starting to load up: "WOAH, THAT 7 HORSE, LUCKY LOUIE'S GOT A BIT OF A LIMP GOING FOR HIM--HOW'D THAT ONE GET PAST THE VET!" hey that race caller is just being honest right? Just looking out for the bettors right? If you were the MGR of that track you would personally go up in that announcer's booth and fire that guy on the spot. Get real, guys. This isn't the way the world works--just the way you want it to work. 2 different things.
later
-NCG

Not really the same tho. one would be an opinion .. since the vets do check horses rite? If someone is clowning with the pools then that is cold hard facts.. now weather you think the track announcer should say something that's a different story

johnhannibalsmith
10-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Surprised so many private conversations were revealed.

bello
10-19-2015, 08:51 PM
I am for as much information as I can get before a race. How about when Maggie at NYRA discusses a horse that is "hot" ot lost weight since its last outing.She has earned my respect enough for me to take her body language seriously.

My gripe here on the thread is if the guy wants to point out a FACT about money leaving the board and odds changing, why are we judging him to cease and desist. If management wants to tell him to do so, so be it, he works for them. But those of us that bet or enjoy the pool movement for entertainments sake, why the griping?He did NOT disparage the track, a horse, a trainer or anybody else. He stated an absolute fact which if nothing else is interesting.. He said nothing about pool manipulation, but if there was the stewards may elect to investigate or not. He committed no foul IMO.

Stillriledup
10-19-2015, 08:54 PM
I am for as much information as I can get before a race. How about when Maggie at NYRA discusses a horse that is "hot" ot lost weight since its last outing.She has earned my respect enough for me to take her body language seriously.

My gripe here on the thread is if the guy wants to point out a FACT about money leaving the board and odds changing, why are we judging him to cease and desist. If management wants to tell him to do so, so be it, he works for them. But those of us that bet or enjoy the pool movement for entertainments sake, why the griping?He did NOT disparage the track, a horse, a trainer or anybody else. He stated an absolute fact which if nothing else is interesting.. He said nothing about pool manipulation, but if there was the stewards may elect to investigate or not. He committed no foul IMO.

I love the idea that some in here are telling us that cover ups in racing are good for business. Wow.

EMD4ME
10-19-2015, 08:54 PM
later
-NCG

I was only commenting on Vic's analogy. Not the topic at hand.

For the record, I see no issue with an announcer point out an odds change. Heck it's a GAMBLING GAME :bang:

EMD4ME
10-19-2015, 08:56 PM

That's why I LOVE HER PERFORMANCE too.

bello
10-19-2015, 09:07 PM
That's why I LOVE HER PERFORMANCE too.

You sure you wanna go there again?

EMD4ME
10-19-2015, 09:18 PM
You sure you wanna go there again?

I created the thread about her, was serious in complimenting her and I wasn't the one who took the thread off topic.

I could care less what she looks like. I love her work.

v j stauffer
10-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Write a letter...get him fired from a couple of fair gigs...maybe you can take his place and be a good boy and stick to calling the races and not overstep the duties of a PROPER racetrack announcer, as espoused by Vic Stauffer. Maybe you should write a book that would be mandatory reading for all track announcers.

BIG VIC IS WATCHING YOU!

GEEZ, i HOPE i DIDN'T GET THIS GUY CANNED FROM EVER ANNOUNCING AGAIN.

Classy response. Hold your head high. Well done.

v j stauffer
10-19-2015, 09:38 PM
So the track is in a Better light by covering up something that we all see happening anyway? If the track is concerned about a good light, why not put a stop to the manipulation?

In California the tracks are committed to stopping this practice and have made some positive strides.

bello
10-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Wasn't me who said he was out of bounds and inappropriate. It was you.

Enough of this,

v j stauffer
10-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Trevor denman consistently uses the phrase 'something is wrong' to describe horses who are dropping back. Do you approve of this call?

It's reporting. It's accurate. It's not emotional or personal. Perfectly done.

C'mon SRU you read the post. You know this question has **** all to do with what we're talking about.

You're trolling and it's pathetic.

Cut the crap please!

Stillriledup
10-19-2015, 09:43 PM
In California the tracks are committed to stopping this practice and have made some positive strides.

Good to hear, I'm all for it.

v j stauffer
10-19-2015, 09:44 PM
Wasn't me who said he was out of bounds and inappropriate. It was you.

Enough of this,

I know what I said. IMO he was. I believe I have the credentials to comment. It's just one man's opinion.

You just wanted to take shots at me. Not debate the subject matter.

Enough of THAT!

Stillriledup
10-19-2015, 09:56 PM
It's reporting. It's accurate. It's not emotional or personal. Perfectly done.

C'mon SRU you read the post. You know this question has **** all to do with what we're talking about.

You're trolling and it's pathetic.

Cut the crap please!

You were the one who changed the subject and talked about things announcers say (and are told not to say) during the running of the race. My post has everything to do with what you started talking about. It's a thread about what announcers can't say, what they can say, etc its a perfectly fine question.

NorCalGreg
10-19-2015, 10:35 PM
I could care less what she looks like. I love her work.

Was your Wife or your Mom looking over your shoulder when you were typing that? :D

Wait til the Dec meet @ Los Alamitos and see some mighty "fine" handicapping with Brittney :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
10-19-2015, 10:42 PM

Not acceptable.
What about when Trevor Denman and Michael Wrona loudly announce that "the favorite is languishing a conspicuous LAST!" Is there something wrong with THAT?

What should the "professional" announcer do? Ignore it?

thaskalos
10-19-2015, 10:54 PM
Wow. This post is a MOUNTAIN of mistakes.

1. The track CAN and HAS controlled pool manipulation in the past. They can identify exactly who, what and where about these cancellations. It's already happened here in California. The responsible people were dealt with.

2. It's a meaningless piece of data for the people to know. In this day and age ANY player can cancel ANY wager until the gate opens. Is it an annoyance? Sure. Nobody should have to deal with it. But it's not part of a normal day of wagering. And never will be.

3. His announcement DID NOT benefit anyone including the public. It is not his place to make that kind of announcement. It's not his job and never will be.
If the track had indeed properly "controlled pool manipulation in the past"...then, would it still be taking place in the FUTURE?

And...how can you say that the announcement didn't "benefit the public"? I dare say that, if you actually ASKED them...the public would overwhelmingly agree that such information is HIGHLY "beneficial" to them.

no breathalyzer
10-19-2015, 11:03 PM
Was your Wife or your Mom looking over your shoulder when you were typing that? :D

Wait til the Dec meet @ Los Alamitos and see some mighty "fine" handicapping with Brittney :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

I always thought Michelle Yu did the best .. always had a major crush on her handicapping ;)

NorCalGreg
10-19-2015, 11:11 PM
I always thought Michelle Yu did the best .. always had a major crush on her handicapping ;)

What track is Michelle Yu at, nb? .....don't know her, but she sounds cute

v j stauffer
10-19-2015, 11:34 PM
What about when Trevor Denman and Michael Wrona loudly announce that "the favorite is languishing a conspicuous LAST!" Is there something wrong with THAT?

What should the "professional" announcer do? Ignore it?

That's Michael's call. Don't think I've ever heard Trevor say that. However.

That's reporting what they see. Perfectly appropriate. C'mon people you're grasping.

v j stauffer
10-19-2015, 11:51 PM
Here's a Michelle Yu story. True :)

We worked a morning shift at TVG together. Off the air at noon. It was a racing day at Hollywood so both of us had to hustle the 5 or 6 miles it is from TVG studios to HP.

Turns out we get there at the same time and walk in together. As we're walking we exchange small talk. I asked her how she liked and was adapting to re-locating to Southern Cal. She said it was tough not knowing anyone and being separated from her boyfriend who is a jockey.

As we got closer to the front gate. She added it was nice to be able to watch the feed and root because her boyfriend was a jockey.

I said that's cool who is he?

Her response: "Oh I can't tell you THAT" :confused: :bang:

castaway01
10-20-2015, 09:01 AM
What track is Michelle Yu at, nb? .....don't know her, but she sounds cute

So you're a track regular giving out "horses to watch" everywhere but have never watched any races from Santa Anita, or TVG, or HRTV?

classhandicapper
10-20-2015, 09:36 AM
I'm surprised this thread got so much action. Those pools are very small and volatile. When I bet into them, I know I am going to have to deal with some sharp swings late. That bet was made so early, I doubt it was even a huge bet.

I can see why a track wouldn't want the announcer to say anything that could suggest that the pools are being manipulated. But he makes note of the late betting that is a normal part of the racing there all the time because of the small pools.

Stillriledup
10-20-2015, 01:20 PM
I'm surprised this thread got so much action. Those pools are very small and volatile. When I bet into them, I know I am going to have to deal with some sharp swings late. That bet was made so early, I doubt it was even a huge bet.

I can see why a track wouldn't want the announcer to say anything that could suggest that the pools are being manipulated. But he makes note of the late betting that is a normal part of the racing there all the time because of the small pools.

Vic mentions in point #2 in post 32 of this thread that cancelling is allowed and whatnut, but then he seems to get really sensitive that the announcer mentioned something that's permitted. its not against the rules according to him, but then seems to think that announcing this would be detrimental in some fashion.

Madone!

NorCalGreg
10-20-2015, 02:14 PM

Fresno's over, anyway. If anyone has EVER been to the "BIG FRESNO FAIR" as it's called..it's a total craphole. My company used to send me to Fresno every week. I would stay at the La Quinta hotel maybe a mile down the street. Like most craphole areas, you were okay as long as you got to your hotel before dark. The dominant gang there is the "Bulldogs" so they can wear Fresno Bulldog gear and not get hassled. Much. I can almost guarantee board member "Race Track Collector" has never visited there....or never will again, if he has.
Thus ends my unasked for, and unrequired review of THE BIG FRESNO FAIR....be sure and visit next year---a good time had by all :)
-NCG

v j stauffer
10-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Vic mentions in point #2 in post 32 of this thread that cancelling is allowed and whatnut, but then he seems to get really sensitive that the announcer mentioned something that's permitted. its not against the rules according to him, but then seems to think that announcing this would be detrimental in some fashion.

Madone!

Numbnuts

I mentioned cancelling was allowed as a safeguard for players to adjust their bets if they feel adversely affected by what they perceive as pool manipulation.

Oy Vey!

Stillriledup
10-20-2015, 03:15 PM
Numbnuts

I mentioned cancelling was allowed as a safeguard for players to adjust their bets if they feel adversely affected by what they perceive as pool manipulation.

Oy Vey!

That's not what it says in post 32.

classhandicapper
10-20-2015, 04:05 PM
That's not what it says in post 32.

What I believe he is suggesting is that the manipulative kind of cancelling can be handled by the tracks to some extent.

However, if a bet is cancelled and changes the odds significantly, the other players have an opportunity to cancel their wagers if they feel they no longer want those bets at the new odds.

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2015, 04:49 PM
Surprised so many private conversations were revealed.I laughed.

cj
10-20-2015, 04:59 PM
However, if a bet is cancelled and changes the odds significantly, the other players have an opportunity to cancel their wagers if they feel they no longer want those bets at the new odds.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

NorCalGreg
10-20-2015, 05:06 PM
So you're a track regular giving out "horses to watch" everywhere but have never watched any races from Santa Anita, or TVG, or HRTV?

Never said I was a track "regular"? I specifically said I get my info from "CHARTS" ....and do not watch races because I usually can't during the day. So I have never seen Maggie or Michelle, or heard a call of Vic's...or seen that funny old guy @ Emerald they sometimes mention. I'll watch races while 'capping the night racing, so have seen Mark & Nancy--and Brittney @ Los Al.
Amazing, once you train yourself....how much of the race you can visualize, from the charts.

no breathalyzer
10-20-2015, 09:37 PM
Never said I was a track "regular"? I specifically said I get my info from "CHARTS" ....and do not watch races because I usually can't during the day. So I have never seen Maggie or Michelle, or heard a call of Vic's...or seen that funny old guy @ Emerald they sometimes mention. I'll watch races while 'capping the night racing, so have seen Mark & Nancy--and Brittney @ Los Al.
Amazing, once you train yourself....how much of the race you can visualize, from the charts.

''if it ain't broke don't fix it''... keep up the good work :ThmbUp: .. on a side note i'd marry Michelle Yu tomorrow based on her capping skills ;) pretty sure i'm her biggest secrete fan

NorCalGreg
10-20-2015, 09:46 PM
''if it ain't broke don't fix it''... keep up the good work :ThmbUp: .. on a side note i'd marry Michelle Yu tomorrow based on her capping skills ;) pretty sure i'm her biggest secrete fan

Hey, she said her BF was a Jockey....those are some tough so-and so's. Better hope it's not Jareth Loveberry---just like the 'Boy Named Sue'..you KNOW ol' Jareth had to get tough or die!

wisconsin
10-20-2015, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=NorCalGreg]Fresno's over, anyway. If anyone has EVER been to the "BIG FRESNO FAIR" as it's called..it's a total craphole. My company used to send me to Fresno every week. I would stay at the La Quinta hotel maybe a mile down the street. Like most craphole areas, you were okay as long as you got to your hotel before dark. The dominant gang there is the "Bulldogs" so they can wear Fresno Bulldog gear and not get hassled. Much. I can almost guarantee board member "Race Track Collector" has never visited there....or never will again, if he has.
Thus ends my unasked for, and unrequired review of THE BIG FRESNO FAIR....be sure and visit next year---a good time had by all :)
-NCG[QUOTE]

Added Fresno to my collection last week. Surprised by the number of homeless people I saw on the west end. Would rank the track near the bottom, poor sightlines, weak fields, extra hot out. The Sequoia trip south on 198 made up for it.

NorCalGreg
10-20-2015, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=NorCalGreg]Fresno's over, anyway. If anyone has EVER been to the "BIG FRESNO FAIR" as it's called..it's a total craphole. My company used to send me to Fresno every week. I would stay at the La Quinta hotel maybe a mile down the street. Like most craphole areas, you were okay as long as you got to your hotel before dark. The dominant gang there is the "Bulldogs" so they can wear Fresno Bulldog gear and not get hassled. Much. I can almost guarantee board member "Race Track Collector" has never visited there....or never will again, if he has.
-NCG[QUOTE]

Added Fresno to my collection last week. Surprised by the number of homeless people I saw on the west end. Would rank the track near the bottom, poor sightlines, weak fields, extra hot out. The Sequoia trip south on 198 made up for it.

You got cajones, man. Hate to tell ya, but those aren't homeless people...they live in those apts over there. They hang back there because they smoke and drink without getting hassled.
Some people visit minor league baseball stadiums...you and Track Collector visit race tracks--interesting. :)

Hambletonian
10-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Correct. Even if the light isn't necessarily poor. It's still not anything he should be involved in.

Vic is 100% on the mark.

on the other hand, the fact that the industry does everything it can to turn a blind eye to everything is the reason that the whole industry is completely and absolutely doomed.

it's like the story recently where the apprentice rider rode out a horse through the stretch who had broken down, and a track official that was questioned responded something to the effect that the jockey had made a mistake, and had the questioner ever made a mistake.

what the response should have been was the jockey was suspended for a year and that the track would ensure that all licensed jockeys knew enough that they would not ride out a horse with a broken leg.

i don't even know why we all give a darn, in 30 years we will all be dead, as will the horse racing industry.

Stillriledup
10-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Vic is 100% on the mark.

on the other hand, the fact that the industry does everything it can to turn a blind eye to everything is the reason that the whole industry is completely and absolutely doomed.

it's like the story recently where the apprentice rider rode out a horse through the stretch who had broken down, and a track official that was questioned responded something to the effect that the jockey had made a mistake, and had the questioner ever made a mistake.

what the response should have been was the jockey was suspended for a year and that the track would ensure that all licensed jockeys knew enough that they would not ride out a horse with a broken leg.

i don't even know why we all give a darn, in 30 years we will all be dead, as will the horse racing industry.

I was planning to live forever and there you go throwing a monkey wrench into my master plan!!

Really it comes down to risk vs reward, if the punishment is a wrist slap, there's really not much incentive to follow the rules. If you know a 1 year suspension is awaiting for rules violations, you'll think twice about trying to get over.

Why rob a bank and risk real life jail when you can rob the horse racing industry and have no 'real life' punishment waiting for you if you get caught.

cj
10-21-2015, 06:15 PM

I'd be pretty disappointed if I'm dead in 30 years and there are people here a lot younger than me!

happy camper
10-21-2015, 06:39 PM
I'd be pretty disappointed if I'm dead in 30 years and there are people here a lot younger than me!

Hopefully it doesn't happen, but if it does at least you won't actually feel disappointment.