PDA

View Full Version : State Breds

classhandicapper
10-17-2015, 01:01 PM
Has anyone ever seen or done a study that tried to rank statebreds in the US in terms of the quality of the races restricted to them in each state?

I'm looking for some kind of list like this:

1. Florida
2. California
3. NY
etc...

Stillriledup
10-17-2015, 04:38 PM
There's a HUGE difference in real ny breds and ny breds by name. You can get an elite ky sire who has a horse who's a ny bred, so that real horse will skew the stats.

Tall One
10-17-2015, 05:08 PM
There's a HUGE difference in real ny breds and ny breds by name. You can get an elite ky sire who has a horse who's a ny bred, so that real horse will skew the stats.

I dont think there's a category/asterix for those results, SRU, but broodmares being board & bred here, and then shipped back out of state (NY, PA, FL, etc...) to foal has been happening since Moses wore short pants. You'd have to re-write the SB rules for a true stat on that.

If I'm understanding what CH is saying, and IMO:

1--NY
2--FL
3--CA
4--MD
5--PA

Illinois used to have a great SB program, but we know what happened there.

Valuist
10-17-2015, 05:28 PM
I dont think there's a category/asterix for those results, SRU, but broodmares being board & bred here, and then shipped back out of state (NY, PA, FL, etc...) to foal has been happening since Moses wore short pants. You'd have to re-write the SB rules for a true stat on that.

1--NY
2--FL
3--CA
4--MD
5--PA

True. I would've ranking Illinois 4th in the past, but those days are gone. I would probably rank them 1) Florida 2) California 3) New York

classhandicapper
10-17-2015, 05:42 PM
True. I would've ranking Illinois 4th in the past, but those days are gone. I would probably rank them 1) Florida 2) California 3) New York

That's the way I rank the top 3, but after that I am less familiar with the pecking order. I was looking at a race recently and a bunch of the horses had run in statebred races EMD. I had no idea where they fit.

Stillriledup
10-17-2015, 05:47 PM

1--NY
2--FL
3--CA
4--MD
5--PA

I don't know if fla is ahead if calif. also, the actual Cali stallions produce better horses than the ny stallions, but I don't know how they stack up moneywise, Cali doesn't have slot purses so their horses might earn less, so that would be hard to judge.

Tall One
10-17-2015, 06:08 PM

I'm biased somewhat for the NY Bred program, but Ocala area farms are similar to Lexington. Great programs down there, and I shouldn't forget Silver Charm was foaled in FL.. :ThmbUp:

classhandicapper
10-17-2015, 06:18 PM
I don't know if fla is ahead if calif. also, the actual Cali stallions produce better horses than the ny stallions, but I don't know how they stack up moneywise, Cali doesn't have slot purses so their horses might earn less, so that would be hard to judge.

On my chart I have CA and FL equal.

It gets tougher to create the pecking order after that because statebreds from some states rarely mix with open horses on the major circuits.

Mlnolan00
10-17-2015, 11:44 PM
You might want to seek out the Fact Books TJC publishes each year as a place to start...

For Florida. http://www.jockeyclub.com/factbook/StateFactBook/Florida.pdf
For N.A. http://www.jockeyclub.com/default.asp?section=Resources&area=11

Cheers!

Valuist
10-18-2015, 01:18 PM
They used to have those Sunshine Millions matchups and Florida would win year in, year out. California does have a Derby winner in 2014, but overall Florida has been more consistent.