PDA

View Full Version : Curse of the Billy Goat

Tor Ekman
10-16-2015, 01:57 PM
The billy goat owned by tavern owner Billy Sianis was named "Murphy" . . . I'd say that's a good omen for my Mets. :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
10-16-2015, 02:01 PM
The billy goat owned by tavern owner Billy Sianis was named "Murphy" . . . I'd say that's a good omen for my Mets. :ThmbUp:
CHEEEBORGER!!!!!!

Had one there too. Was pretty good.

horses4courses
10-16-2015, 08:40 PM
There used to be a Curse of the Bambino :lol:

Eventually, they all go the way of the buffalo.........

OTM Al
10-16-2015, 08:52 PM
There used to be a Curse of the Bambino :lol:

Eventually, they all go the way of the buffalo.........
Seriously though it is quite understandable why the Cubs have not won. They were a good and competitive team through the 30s. When baseball integrated, they were the last NL team to bring on a black player and by the time they did, the best were all gone. Amazing they ever got someone as good as Banks after all that. Not coincidently, the Red Sox were the last AL team to integrate. In the 70s they discovered that people came to the games there regardless of how the team played. The Tribune Co owned the team, the park, the TV network they were on and the newspaper that reported on them. Why waste money trying to be good? Remember Ryne Sandburg retired for a while because he got sick of playing on a team that wasn't going to have a chance to win. But the goat story is a good one. If you like fantasy stories, there is a really funny story about the curse by Jim Butcher as part of his Dresden Files.

Tor Ekman
10-17-2015, 08:42 PM
The billy goat's namesake strikes an early blow to perpetuate the curse

Tor Ekman
10-17-2015, 11:07 PM
The billy goat's namesake strikes an early blow to perpetuate the curse And with his glove puts the nail in the Cubs' coffin in game 1.

Tor Ekman
10-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Somewhere Billy Sianis is smiling about his goat's namesake's performance so far

EMD4ME
10-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Somewhere Billy Sianis is smiling about his goat's namesake's performance so far

ONE THOUSAND :ThmbUp:

horses4courses
10-18-2015, 08:36 PM

Your mind wanders to farm animals a little too often......... :lol:

Tor Ekman
10-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Blaaaaahhhh!!!! :D

thaskalos
10-18-2015, 09:10 PM
What Greek would name his goat "Murphy"? I don't believe any of it. If he had named the goat Haralambos...then I could see it.

EMD4ME
10-18-2015, 09:12 PM
What Greek would name his goat "Murphy"? I don't believe any of it. If he had named the goat Haralambos...then I could see it.

Highly logical and good point.

Maybe it was an Irish Goat?

Tor Ekman
10-20-2015, 11:23 PM
Murphy gets the Cubs' goat again . . . Unbelievable!!!

EMD4ME
10-20-2015, 11:35 PM
Murphy gets the Cubs' goat again . . . Unbelievable!!!

Ya Gotta Believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Tor Ekman
10-21-2015, 11:50 PM
Forget Murphy the goat, Murphy the Met was more torment to the Small Bears than any supposed curse

reckless
10-22-2015, 07:34 AM
I never bought into the Billy Goat silliness except to say that I thoroughly enjoy the angst and suffering of true blue, die-hard Cubs fans when talking about the curse. I say this not to knock them nor to make fun of them; not in the slightest.

True blue, die-hard sports fans (but especially baseball fans) are in solidarity in their universal belief that the gods up there all have something against them and them alone.