PDA

View Full Version : Can Not Find File That Supposedly Exists

Track Collector
10-16-2015, 02:11 PM
I am working under a virtual XP area on my Windows 7 laptop.

I have a utility program that renames files, and have used it often without problems.

Today when running this program I get the message: "Warning! del081511.pgh already exists. Overwrite (y/n/a/r)?". This message pops up for a number of other files that are named ???081511.*.

Rather than take any of the Overwrite options, I simple want to delete the flagged files, after which I will re-run the rename utility program. My problem is that none of the dir: commands that I am using can find these files. (NOTE: All files are believed to be in the current directory.).

I have tried for the del file (and a few of the other files) but without success:
--- dir c:del0815.* and c:???0815*.*
--- dir c:del081~?.*
--- dir c:*.* /X (to see if it was a originally a longer file name and renamed to a shorter one.
--- dir c: /a (to see if it was a "hidden" file)

Any suggestions from you older DOS users?

wilderness
10-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Haven't done this in ages.
Many moons ago used a utility in Norton Commander that was quite effective.

A google on 'dos file recovery utility (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=dos+file+recovery+utility&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=1)' provides some utils

GameTheory
10-16-2015, 05:14 PM

I have a utility program that renames files, and have used it often without problems.

Today when running this program I get the message: "Warning! del081511.pgh already exists. Overwrite (y/n/a/r)?". This message pops up for a number of other files that are named ???081511.*.

Rather than take any of the Overwrite options, I simple want to delete the flagged files, after which I will re-run the rename utility program. My problem is that none of the dir: commands that I am using can find these files. (NOTE: All files are believed to be in the current directory.).

I have tried for the del file (and a few of the other files) but without success:
--- dir c:*.* /X (to see if it was a originally a longer file name and renamed to a shorter one.

Are you literally typing "dir c:*.*"? Cause that will only look in the root directory. "cd" into the directory where the files are supposed to be, and "dir" from there (without the "c:" or you'll be looking at root again)

Track Collector
10-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Are you literally typing "dir c:*.*"? Cause that will only look in the root directory. "cd" into the directory where the files are supposed to be, and "dir" from there (without the "c:" or you'll be looking at root again)

Yes, the files are under the c:\xx directory and I'm in that directory when I type the dir commands. (And, while in that dirrectory I typed dir del15*.* and dir del150~?.*).

DLigett
10-16-2015, 08:40 PM
I've seen this happen in directories with a great many files.

Try using powershell.exe instead of cmd.exe if you haven't tried that already.

Start Menu; then type powershell into the text box; press enter.

Hoofless_Wonder
10-17-2015, 07:52 AM

DOS changes some defaults between versions of windows. And you have a syntax problem. To look for Delaware Park files in C:\DRF, you'd enter:

dir C:\DRF\del*

To look for hidden files, try:

dir C:\DRF\* /a:h

For more ideas on syntax, enter:

help dir

If it's just this one date that's causing problems, try:

dir C:\DRF\*0815*

Maybe you have a file with an unexpected extension that's causing problems with the utility.....

Track Collector
10-17-2015, 01:30 PM
Ok, an update. While I do not know why I was getting the original overwrite message, I did find another error which makes the need to investigate this problem further go away. (Long story short........the original file I was working with contained PPs from 2014 and not 2015. This is what happens when one gets lazy in maintaining their databases. :blush:).

Thanks to all who attempted to help me! :ThmbUp: