PDA

View Full Version : Pulled over late at night by police who were hoping for DUI?

Robert Fischer
10-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Is this an actual phenomenon?

Happened again to me last night.
Driving home from work after 1am, pretty much the only car on the road, cruise-control on... Police pulls up behind me, Pulls me over and I'm made to do a battery of balancing acts and a 'blow' test for alcohol...
Sent home with a warning for a bogus claim that I wasn't holding my lanes...
Then the guy pulls over another vehicle in the next half mile...

My cousin said the same thing happened to him near the location of last night's harassment.
He says they got angry when he told them "Nope. Working not drinking."
He has a lot less anxiety and a lot more safety-net than I do. I just remain respectful throughout the interaction.

The only other time that happened to me, - Was years ago - The motel I was leaving very early morning had an 'overflow' parking area adjacent to a bar, and I just wrote it off to being an oddity and a 'Florida' redneck thing, after being dui tested and given a seatbelt ticket for a vehicle w/ automatic seatbelts.

:confused:

pandy
10-14-2015, 11:43 AM

Driving home from work after 1am, pretty much the only car on the road, cruise-control on... Police pulls up behind me, Pulls me over and I'm made to do a battery of balancing acts and a 'blow' test for alcohol...

My cousin said the same thing happened to him near the location of last night's harassment.
He has a lot less anxiety and a lot more safety-net than I do. I just remain respectful throughout the interaction.

The only other time that happened to me, - Was years ago - The motel I was leaving very early morning had an 'overflow' parking area adjacent to a bar, and I just wrote it off to being an oddity and a 'Florida' redneck thing, after being dui tested and given a seatbelt ticket for a vehicle w/ automatic seatbelts.

:confused:

That sucks. Harassment.

cbp
10-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Should've shared your show method with him. That'd have shown him

Marshall Bennett
10-14-2015, 11:58 AM
I've been pulled over on the interstate down here and randomly searched top to bottom. Naturally they ask for permission. It's happened to me twice so far.
Chalk it up to "shit happens". :)
On a side note. Is there a such thing as racial profiling if you're white? In one instance the cop was black. :bang:

Robert Goren
10-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of driving in the hour after the bars close. When I tend bar it happened at least a couple times a month. However, it could be worse. You could be Black, in which case in a lot of areas like Lincoln you can be stopped whenever the cops have nothing better to do. I had a college kid from Ethiopia who worked the bar closing shift in one of my garages. He got stopped at least once a month during the day and a couple more after times a month after his shift. He had a stack of warning tickets 3 inches thick. He even got stopped a few times by one of the cops I hired for security and he worked with every Friday night at the same garage.

thaskalos
10-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Pigs!

A cop pulls next to me at a stoplight at night, in an unmarked vehicle...peeks over at me...and then uses a flashlight to see if I am wearing my seatbelt...which I have learned to always wear because I know how the local cops are. He thought I wasn't wearing my belt...so, he flashes on his vehicle lights...and tells me to pull over into an adjacent parking lot. When he got out of his car and saw my seatbelt on, he accused me of putting it on after the fact...which I assured him wasn't the case. He asked me for my license and insurance card anyway...and it was then when I discovered that the insurance card in my glove compartment was 6 weeks expired.

He looks at me and asks: "Do you have a job?"

"Yes, officer...I have a job"...I tell him.

"OK then. So I guess you don't really want to spend a day in court showing your proof of insurance, right? So...I'll give you a break and write you up for a seatbelt violation...and you can pay the $50 fine through the mail. Deal?"...he tells me, with a smug attitude.

"But officer. You are going to cite me for a seatbelt violation...even though you see that I am wearing my seat belt?"...I ask, with feigned surprise.

"I am just trying to save you a day's pay, bud"...he tells me. "If I write you up for lack of insurance...then you have to go to court".

"That's OK officer, thanks for the concern...but I would rather go to court. I have some vacation time coming up...and I really don't have anything more interesting to do. Plus...what's right is right"...I innocently reply to him.

He looks at me with obvious surprise...and writes me a ticket for no proof of insurance...which got thrown out when I showed my insurance card at traffic court.

And, believe it or not...this has happened to me TWICE!

As I said..."PIGS!"

delayjf
10-14-2015, 02:21 PM

Same thing happened to me during the X-mas season. My wife and I were returning from X-mas party at about 2 am when we got pulled over for "weaving within my lane" NOT weaving between lanes. I had been drinking earlier but stopped about 4 hours before leaving the party. I was booked and released on my own recognizance. When I went to court on the assigned date, my name was not on the docket. I cheeked with the DA's office and was told that my chase had been sent back to the State Patrol. The next day I received a letter telling my that my case had been dropped. It was not until I went into the DMV to get my drivers license renewed when the clerk told me that I had popped a 0.04 on the breath test - dodged that bullet.

Tall One
10-14-2015, 04:08 PM
Should've shared your show method with him. That'd have shown him

That's funny..RF's situation is not. Last time that happened to me, was before my last DUI came off my record two years ago. It was after 2 AM, I was the D.D, and was pulled over on the way home for swerving which I can say I was not. Asked if I'd been drinking,--not one drop--checked my insurance, apologized for the delay, and was sent on my way. Oh, they did tell me the actual reason I was stopped was because they ran my tags, but this was after "Have a good night.."

Worth repeating...visitors in for BC, watch the metro police as they'll be in full force that weekend.

cbp
10-14-2015, 04:45 PM
I was walking in my neighborhood 4 or 5 years ago when I was suddenly swarmed upon by 3 or 4 unmarked cars. They claimed they got a call from a citizen that I had pulled a knife on someone. Then they proceeded to 'search me' for the knife. Of course, rather than pat me down, they started going into my pockets. I realized, then, they were behind in their drug arrest quota. When they found nothing, they told me I could go. Stopped by my lawyer's office on the way home; she said there was nothing she could do. With all the alco/drug addict Harley riders in the area, they messed with me

iceknight
10-14-2015, 06:30 PM

:confused:They are gambling (for revenue) without doing the handicapping. Only issue is.. they are being by taxpayer money at local level not their own cash so all odds are in their favor!

My story: I used to drive people (friends etc) back from bars (before uber came around) on weekends/Thur nights etc in this college town. Two nights in a row around 230 am I get pulled over (both times after my drop so car was empty). Fri night ~2ish am, cop flashes light after I turn at a signal near a walmart, comes up claims that I did not slow down sufficiently at red light while making right turn. That is absolutely not true, because I had already noticed the cop car behind a while ago and made very careful moves. But he was just looking for excuses to stop and check for alchohol smell or whatever. Checks paper and just gives verbal warning aka "ego save"

Next night - this gets funny - same cop, is just pulling up at cross street signal (my signal was red as I was slowly approaching). As I arrive at my signal and slow down significantly, light turns to green, so I just switch back to 2nd gear and move through.
After i had gone quarter mile, cop comes roaring behind me and flashes light. This time he starts with ' have you been drinking etc" and then after i said No, his next claim is "Why did you slow down so much a green light".
I told him "I drive a stick, I saw a red light, slowed down. There was no one in front and only after it turned green, I moved through the signal. I joked about "Red means Stop, Green means Go' - some kids rhyme.
At least, he was nt a jerk and said have a nice day and did nt even give any warning.
But since then, I have heard from other friends that this township police is trying to make revenue by trying to do random stops like this.

And if that race thing matters for those reading, I am a Indian, cop was a korean-american. (it doesn't).

zico20
10-14-2015, 09:28 PM
They are gambling (for revenue) without doing the handicapping. Only issue is.. they are being by taxpayer money at local level not their own cash so all odds are in their favor!

My story: I used to drive people (friends etc) back from bars (before uber came around) on weekends/Thur nights etc in this college town. Two nights in a row around 230 am I get pulled over (both times after my drop so car was empty). Fri night ~2ish am, cop flashes light after I turn at a signal near a walmart, comes up claims that I did not slow down sufficiently at red light while making right turn. That is absolutely not true, because I had already noticed the cop car behind a while ago and made very careful moves. But he was just looking for excuses to stop and check for alchohol smell or whatever. Checks paper and just gives verbal warning aka "ego save"

Next night - this gets funny - same cop, is just pulling up at cross street signal (my signal was red as I was slowly approaching). As I arrive at my signal and slow down significantly, light turns to green, so I just switch back to 2nd gear and move through.
After i had gone quarter mile, cop comes roaring behind me and flashes light. This time he starts with ' have you been drinking etc" and then after i said No, his next claim is "Why did you slow down so much a green light".
I told him "I drive a stick, I saw a red light, slowed down. There was no one in front and only after it turned green, I moved through the signal. I joked about "Red means Stop, Green means Go' - some kids rhyme.
At least, he was nt a jerk and said have a nice day and did nt even give any warning.
But since then, I have heard from other friends that this township police is trying to make revenue by trying to do random stops like this.

And if that race thing matters for those reading, I am a Indian, cop was a korean-american. (it doesn't).

Tell the cop that your brother always goes through red lights and he MAY be coming the other way. :lol: George Carlin joke. One of my favorite jokes of all time.