PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Vic and others!!

Kash$
10-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Was really impress with Vics analysis and preparation for this past Sundays Keeneland Contest PM him few questions and he was nice enough to answer every single one.Thanks

Majority of posters on PA are helpful Tom has helped me with questions on Software,Cj answers every question about TimeformUS,Classhandicapper helpful with Formulator..Thanks again

Emd is sorely missed around here..He was nice enough to give me his password for Formulator pps in order for me to read his trip notes..We text a few time a week..

Below is Vic's response very insightful and helpful,

Kash$

I use formulator pretty much only for replays. Their PP's are difficult for me to read. Probably just because of looking at the Classic type PP's for 40 years.

Doing film work is tedious busy work. While I should watch at least the last race on every horse entered. It depends on the size, importance and $$ value of the tournament for me.

I only "follow" NYRA and Southern Cal. However, I do have to keep an eye on others because tournaments will sometimes incorporate multiple tracks. As of course does the NHC.

Tournaments are fun. However, they should be only a part of your play. They have merit because they force a player to handicap every race. Even those we'd normally quickly pass on. They also give us total control of the amount of money at risk. I like to call them tilt-proof. Even the best horse player has "chased" during an unlucky or poor handicapping day. This format protects against that.

The other side is. You might pick two $30.00 horses during a tournament sequence and get nothing in the tournament. That should never happen. Picking beautiful bombs like that should always reap rewards.

Thanks for the kind words.

V J S

ManU918
10-14-2015, 12:00 AM
Vic will explode when he sees this thread. Kash$ didn't you know that in Vic's mind a PM is supposed to stay private? Clearly you didn't read the thread from a few weeks back where Pace made it public knowledge that Vic told him via PM that he had the best horse forum on the net and Vic exploded.

JimmyQ
10-14-2015, 12:11 AM
Vic will explode when he sees this thread. Kash$ didn't you know that in Vic's mind a PM is supposed to stay private? Clearly you didn't read the thread from a few weeks back where Pace made it public knowledge that Vic told him via PM that he had the best horse forum on the net and Vic exploded.

Agree PM's should stay PRIVATE...even the one where I told Vic he's an overrated race caller and handicapper

JimmyQ

proximity
10-14-2015, 12:12 AM

:D :D :D

at this time i'd like to publicly announce that i agree with vic's private thoughts!! :)

baconswitchfarm
10-14-2015, 12:27 AM
.even the one where I told Vic he's an overrated race caller and handicapper

JimmyQ

I don't think he is an overrated race caller. :D

v j stauffer
10-14-2015, 12:43 AM
Kash$ didn't post the entire PM. If he'd like to he's welcome to.

JimmyQ
10-14-2015, 12:50 AM
Kash$ didn't post the entire PM. If he'd like to he's welcome to.

I'm sure he is so thankful for your blessing to do so...he may now proceed

JimmyQ

v j stauffer
10-14-2015, 01:17 AM
I'm sure he is so thankful for your blessing to do so...he may now proceed

JimmyQ

You have achieved something truly rare.

Your posts are so pathetic you've managed to become significantly insignificant.

Congrats :ThmbUp:

no breathalyzer
10-14-2015, 06:49 PM
I would luv to see EMD's trip notes.. sharp eye.. pretty sure there would be some good stuff in there.

Kash$
10-14-2015, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=no breathalyzer]I would luv to see EMD's trip notes.. sharp eye.. pretty sure there would be some good stuff in

I laugh when people tweet or post no one works harder then...........
Emd's trip notes on formulator are filthy.
.It's trip notes on steroids..He doesn't miss anything very detailed similar to Vics 's analysis MY FRIDAY..
He's a successful vp of a bank... I could see how in his work how passionate and serious he is about racing...Great guy he's a man of his word and he will help anyone who needs it.

no breathalyzer
10-14-2015, 07:43 PM
I miss his post's. although on the extreme at times, they always hold truth, like i said very sharp eye, not too many people get my attention.. he did. Sometimes i want to say things on here that i know prob. will get me in trouble,EMD told it how it is.. liked that

JimmyQ
10-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Similar things were said about your race calls at the end of Hollywood Park. The last race call which was totally rehearsed was right up there with the rehearsed Lebron call that failed to ever make sportscenter as you hoped.

You have achieved something truly rare.

Your posts are so pathetic you've managed to become significantly insignificant.

Congrats :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
10-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Similar things were said about your race calls at the end of Hollywood Park. The last race call which was totally rehearsed was right up there with the rehearsed Lebron call that failed to ever make sportscenter as you hoped.

What's the difference if its rehearsed as long as its good? You're giving the guy crap for putting in extra work to 'get it right' and do a good job?

That's a reach.

proximity
10-14-2015, 10:52 PM
I remember vic's announcing at Hollywood.

I confess though i'm struggling to recall emd4me's reign at penn national? :confused:

6'1'' greek guy with 5'1'' shortie cutie? hmmm?

wells, that eliminates 99% of pen regulars!! :D

it'll come to me someday!! :)

anotherCAfan
10-14-2015, 10:53 PM
Are you referring to that last race call that causes me to tear up when I watch it on YouTube?

Stillriledup
10-14-2015, 10:56 PM

I confess though i'm struggling to recall emd4me's reign at penn national? :confused:

Nothing gets past you :D

proximity
10-14-2015, 11:06 PM
Nothing gets past you :D

youch... :D

JimmyQ
10-15-2015, 12:38 AM
What's the difference if its rehearsed as long as its good? You're giving the guy crap for putting in extra work to 'get it right' and do a good job?

That's a reach.
Guy messed up so many names in 5 horse fields the final year. It's safe to say he wasn't putting in OT

JimmyQ
10-15-2015, 12:41 AM
Are you referring to that last race call that causes me to tear up when I watch it on YouTube?

It was a sad day for racing. That's what brought horseplayers to tears

thaskalos
10-15-2015, 12:42 AM

How sweet that EMD4ME enjoys visiting the track with his mother.

v j stauffer
10-15-2015, 01:12 AM

DRF'S Eclipse award winning columnist was in complete agreement with you after Hollywood Park's final day of racing.

http://www.drf.com/news/jay-hovdey-hollywood-park-goes-out-cheap

lamboguy
10-15-2015, 02:59 AM
Vic has given us some very great and memorable race calls like the final race for Chris McCaron. my favorite one was when DECLAN'S MOON was winning his race and Vic pronounce's "its a total eclipse".

but the one that i remember best were at Gulfstream around the start of this century when i first walked into that place after a race Vic announces the claims in the race. "such and such was claimed by trainer Mark Shuman for owner Mike Gill and also such and such was claimed by trainer Mark Shuman for owner Mike Gill".

it must have happened 5 times that day, and i thought i must have really gone past my prime. but i went to the track the next day and heard the exact same thing. one of my buddies told me that Gill had been claiming all the horses for the whole month and that Vic had to announce them.

a week later Gill complained that there were no races for his horses. i don't think he understood that he claimed everything and that the racing secretary couldn't find any other horses to make the races go.

proximity
10-15-2015, 03:30 AM
a week later Gill complained that there were no races for his horses. i don't think he understood that he claimed everything and that the racing secretary couldn't find any other horses to make the races go.

mr gill had the truth, but not the insight then? ;)

as for vic, i'm not an announcing critic like many here, but overall I enjoyed his calls. it's a simple thing but I like how he always announced the dams and sires on mother's and father's days.

although I think they parted on good terms (?) vic's harsh attack on emd did kind of pave the way for his exit so the op thanking both gentlemen is kind of ironic in a sense although I guess many of us could appreciate both posters without agreeing 100% of the time? :)

ManU918
10-15-2015, 07:24 AM

as for vic, i'm not an announcing critic like many here, but overall I enjoyed his calls. it's a simple thing but I like how he always announced the dams and sires on mother's and father's days.

although I think they parted on good terms (?) vic's harsh attack on emd did kind of pave the way for his exit so the op thanking both gentlemen is kind of ironic in a sense although I guess many of us could appreciate both posters without agreeing 100% of the time? :)

Personally I think its pathetic that we have a thread giving credit to someone for their notes. Were the notes really that great? Vic watched video and took notes... Just like 99% of the serious players do in this game. No offense but I'm assuming those notes didn't turn out to great if Vic finished last in the contest. So even if you do put in the work nothing is guaranteed. Obviously no one is going to fire a big one in every contest or win everyday when wagering at the tote so again no offense. But I guess this is just how lazy the players are in this game that when they see someone who takes notes on races they are mind boggled. You have to be in the game to win. And by in the game I mean you have to live it, eat it and breathe it. If not, you're simply guessing and picking numbers.

sammy the sage
10-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Personally I think its pathetic that we have a thread giving credit to someone for their notes. Were the notes really that great? Vic watched video and took notes... Just like 99% of the serious players do in this game. No offense but I'm assuming those notes didn't turn out to great if Vic finished last in the contest. So even if you do put in the work nothing is guaranteed. Obviously no one is going to fire a big one in every contest or win everyday when wagering at the tote so again no offense. But I guess this is just how lazy the players are in this game that when they see someone who takes notes on races they are mind boggled. You have to be in the game to win. And by in the game I mean you have to live it, eat it and breathe it. If not, you're simply guessing and picking numbers.

so FEW here do put out anything of SUBSTANCE...how bout you?...nah just gotta bash other people's work...

no wonder so few do................and that's THE pathetic part....duh...

sammy the sage
10-15-2015, 07:51 AM
It was a sad day for racing. That's what brought horseplayers to tears

BORING :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

ManU918
10-15-2015, 08:46 AM
so FEW here do put out anything of SUBSTANCE...how bout you?...nah just gotta bash other people's work...

no wonder so few do................and that's THE pathetic part....duh...

I guess you don't know how to read. I didn't bash Vic. I bashed this thread that was created because it shows how little work people actually put into their handicapping. Obviously Vic did his homework and it shows in the thread he created "My Day Friday". My point is that if you get excited over a player who watches video and takes notes then you need to reevaluate your approach. Every serious player does it. If posters here started threads applauding everyone who takes notes and watches videos this place would be full of horrible content.

ManU918
10-15-2015, 08:53 AM
BORING :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Boring? More like the truth. If Vic had said nothing the entire race people would have still been upset. For myself I didn't cry but I was definitely sad. It was the end of an era. I spent many of Friday nights with my Father watching those races at Philadelphia Turf Clubs, communicating with a respected horse player/friend that lives across the country via text about what were alive to and making fun of the Hollywood Gate Crew (Worst in the history of the game), etc. People will miss what hits home to them... Not the announcer.

Kash$
10-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Boring? More like the truth. If Vic had said nothing the entire race people would have still been upset. For myself I didn't cry but I was definitely sad. It was the end of an era. I spent many of Friday nights with my Father watching those races at Philadelphia Turf Clubs, communicating with a respected horse player/friend that lives across the country via text about what were alive to and making fun of the Hollywood Gate Crew (Worst in the history of the game), etc. People will miss what hits home to them... Not the announcer.

People here missed Tom Durkin

lamboguy
10-15-2015, 08:57 AM

although I think they parted on good terms (?) vic's harsh attack on emd did kind of pave the way for his exit so the op thanking both gentlemen is kind of ironic in a sense although I guess many of us could appreciate both posters without agreeing 100% of the time? :)no doubt he is a great announcer, about his trip notes from the replays, well its not exactly what i look for when i view them.....

ManU918
10-15-2015, 09:03 AM
[/b]

You mean miss... Missed would imply that he left and came back. And the only people who miss Durkin are those who were a fan of his when he was on top of his game in the 90's/Early 2000's. He got so bad late in his career he was an auto-mute.

Kash$
10-15-2015, 09:11 AM
You mean miss... Missed would imply that he left and came back. And the only people who miss Durkin are those who were a fan of his when he was on top of his game in the 90's/Early 2000's. He got so bad late in his career he was an auto-mute.

Manu he wasn't that bad towards the end...Gee he wasn't Maya stumbling in the outfield with the Mets..

ManU918
10-15-2015, 09:16 AM
Manu he wasn't that bad towards the end...Gee he wasn't Maya stumbling in the outfield with the Mets..

Kash$, I know you didn't join PA until this year but I have a feeling you're probably an old poster from this site with a new name. Either way go back and do some research. There are multiple threads about how bad Durkin was in his final years.

proximity
10-15-2015, 12:17 PM
clear some pm space manu... :)

v j stauffer
10-15-2015, 12:28 PM
[/b]

I miss Tom Durkin

Stillriledup
10-15-2015, 12:35 PM
I miss Tom Durkin

I miss that love able lug who used to call Hollywood Park.

ManU918
10-15-2015, 12:38 PM
I miss Mark Johnson and I'm glad Larry left Churchill high and dry once the NYRA position became available.

v j stauffer
10-15-2015, 12:40 PM

Don't blame them. I started the thread. I thought it would be stand up to share the work with anyone who might be interested or could possibly benefit.

One of the reasons I did it was to show just how much work it takes to have a "chance" to be successful at this game.

Like anything else in life. The more effort we give the greater expectation of winning. No short cuts, no angles, no fixed races or doped horses and certainly no whining after the fact.

I knew I'd take heat. But I get that from the haters regardless of what I do so who cares?

Santa Anita has a 4k live money tourney this weekend. I started the Saturday work last night. I'll be finished with both Saturday and Sunday by tomorrow night.

If anyone would like a copy of the trip notes. PM me your email and I'll send them along.

Let's have a great winning weekend!!

v j stauffer
10-15-2015, 12:48 PM

Here's an idea. Put yourself on auto-mute.

First you say the announcer is meaningless to you. Fair enough that's cool.

Then you bash an iconic legend two years after the fact in a thread that has nothing to do with announcers.

You act like we hang on every word you say. We don't.

You stand as judge and jury over the worthiness of everybody else's posts. You're not.

Here's a plan. Take your elitist, holier than thou attitude and blow*

* Sorry I get emotional when people rip announcers. Especially Durkin.

NorCalGreg
10-15-2015, 01:22 PM

Then you bash an iconic legend two years after the fact in a thread that has nothing to do with announcers.

You stand as judge and jury over the worthiness of everybody else's posts. You're not.

Vic, Vic, Vic.......For the life of me, I don't know why you entertain these people day after day. I'll bet ya most of them are 1 really angry no-life-having person's different made-up "characters". Does this "Jimmy Q" out of Vegas only live to bash Vic? Put all this guy's "characters" on ignore and be done with them. They will soon disappear, trust me on that. :cool:

ManU918
10-15-2015, 01:34 PM

Here's an idea...Put the races on, mute the tv and work on your race calling... Then maybe someone will hire you again and I won't have to mute the tv next time you get a job... Probably won't be a next time though because you have completely exposed yourself as the asshole I've always heard about.

Who is an iconic legend? Durkin? That's your opinion. IMO he is the most overrated caller in the history of the game.

Who is we? Of course not. Nobody hangs on to anything anyone says here. It's a forum that allows us to voice an opinion. Obviously you cant grasp that.

Elitist? Me? LOL...Go back and read some of your posts.

Well you shouldn't get emotional Durkin sucked. You and Durkin couldn't even hold Keith Jones' jock at Parx let alone the top callers in the game like Becker, Johnson and Collmus.

PaceAdvantage
10-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Kash$, I know you didn't join PA until this year but I have a feeling you're probably an old poster from this site with a new name. Either way go back and do some research. There are multiple threads about how bad Durkin was in his final years.Your feels are spot-on...in the words of Yoda...moderator good you will make! Or something like that... :lol:

PaceAdvantage
10-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Man, I'm late to this thread...why do they turn so ugly so quickly around here lately?

Pain in the ass...