PDA

View Full Version : The betting public

WP1981
10-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Whenever I hear the term "betting public" it tilts me to no end. You are the betting public and so am I. This isn't a game like football where people will bet their team no matter what or have to have a wager on each game to make Sunday more interesting.

Sure, on the weekends and holidays people will attend the races and throw a few bucks around but I don't think it makes a dent on anything.

Reminds me of the scene in Rounders where all the acquaintances are playing in Atlantic city at the same table. Someone says we could have stayed home rather than taking each others rolls all night.

We are all at the same table. A big toilet bowl that keeps raking that takeout chunk right off the top when the gates open. How long until there is nothing left? No person in their right mind would bring any new money into this.

Tell me about your techniques and the stupid public money some more while the game fleeces the shit out of you.

Not going to be that sucker anymore.

Stillriledup
10-12-2015, 07:26 PM
The 'betting public' is letting people like Baffert and Pletcher drive nice cars and live in nice houses while they walk around with holes in their shoes.

There is WAY too much money being funneled to trainers and jocks, bad business model funneling billions of slots and purse dollars to people who are completely replacable in the game and not enough money to irreplaceable people (the bettors)

Appy
10-12-2015, 08:45 PM
"Not going to be that sucker anymore."

Really?
There is takeout and CODB to everything you do. You can't even go be forgiven for the error of your ways without getting hit up for tithes and other donations. Whacha think you're gonna do?

no breathalyzer
10-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Whenever I hear the term "betting public" it tilts me to no end. You are the betting public and so am I. This isn't a game like football where people will bet their team no matter what or have to have a wager on each game to make Sunday more interesting.

Sure, on the weekends and holidays people will attend the races and throw a few bucks around but I don't think it makes a dent on anything.

Reminds me of the scene in Rounders where all the acquaintances are playing in Atlantic city at the same table. Someone says we could have stayed home rather than taking each others rolls all night.

We are all at the same table. A big toilet bowl that keeps raking that takeout chunk right off the top when the gates open. How long until there is nothing left? No person in their right mind would bring any new money into this.

Tell me about your techniques and the stupid public money some more while the game fleeces the shit out of you.

This doesn't happen when you pick your spots wisely. Discipline Discipline and then ... more Discipline.. sounds like you on a bad run.. There are shit loads of races just from this weekend where the favorite was grossly over bet. but that's up to you to find.. either find a better source or hadicap better :)

LottaKash
10-13-2015, 12:10 AM

WP, it sounds as if you have run out of fresh ideas, and just haven't got the hang of it yet...

If it's any consolation to you, I am out of ideas too....Only thing is, most, if not many of my little discoveries that were once based on ideas, still have some good wager value, even yet...

Most of us have been in your shoes a time or two, some still are...

Take a good long break, and come back if you still care to, and make some sweeping changes to your game and your outlook about it....

Learn one good thing that "works", and stay with it....Search only for "it" or them or just what you know works....This will simplify your game, and perhaps it will become the fun that you once had when it was early, on the handicapping trail that led you to where you are today (sourballs, haha).... :)

Play only what you know.... :jump:

thaskalos
10-13-2015, 12:23 AM

This is a great idea...no new money should be brought to the game. When the "old money" runs out...then the play stops. Money is useful for too many OTHER things. :ThmbUp:

Robert Fischer
10-13-2015, 02:30 AM
"Markets are at heart, a 'predatory wealth concentration mechanism', for separating the herd from its money." -Nicole Foss

This is a tough market.
You're right. We're all experts, and the track/adw/etc.. takes a big chunk out, -which is the reason they run the show in the first place.